Start by marking “Sweep” as Want to Read:
Sweep

Sweep

An uplifting story about confronting big emotions from the author of The Night Box, stunningly illustrated by Julia Sarda.
Ed's bad mood begins as something really small, hardly a thing at all. But before long it grows, gathers pace, and spreads through the whole town. Can Ed sweep his troubles away?
A wonderful bedtime story for children aged 3 years and up, perfect for h
Published August 9th 2018 by Egmont

To ask other readers questions about Sweep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweep

Start your review of Sweep
Hilary
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
2.5 stars. A simple story of how a bad mood can escalate, very nice illustrations, in the end Ed turns his bad mood around. The story was too obvious, nothing more happened than Ed was in a bad mood and his feelings escalated.
Victoria Bailey
This has been on my want to read list for a while and when I came across it in Waterstones and flicked through it, I bought it straight away!

Sweep! follows Ed and his bad mood and demonstrates how easy it is to get carried away and over react when you are in a bad mood. The beautiful illustrations perfectly create a metaphor for the "bad mood" that may help children to think about their own actions when they have been in a bad mood and how it affects others.

In a KS1 class I would read this story
Rod Brown
Who sweeps leaves? Why doesn't this dude have a rake? Is this a thing that happens in big cities where there are maybe no actual lawns?

Nothing that happened in the book was interesting enough to derail me from this train of thought.
Eloise Battey
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mental-health
Although this is a nice book with some lovely illustrations, I think that it can maybe raise some controversial ideas of what depression or stress can be. It creates the idea that people struggling with mental health are choosing not to look at the 'brighter side of life' rather than not being able to or simply don't have 'brighter' things to look at. I also think it belittles what it is to actually live with ill mental health.
A Severs
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the better picture books about that use a metaphor to help children to think about bad moods.
Mathew
I am so glad that students have been reviewing this book on Goodreads and that one placed it in my hands. When I first saw this in the bookshop, I hadn't recognised it to Louise Greig's work whose The Night Box I am a big fan of. Greig deals with emotional issues well and Sweep is a lovely, metaphorical commentary on getting uncontrollably caught up with negative emotions: something that we can all relate to.
Presented as a series of double-page spreads and vignettes, the story follows Ed as his
Joelle Gebhardt
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
It has been a year of big emotions in our house so I had high hopes that this book would resonate with my 4 year old daughter. Unfortunately, she did not understand the story at all. At the end, she looked really confused and asked “What does that mean?”. I tried to explain to her that the leaves represented his emotions but that was too abstract for her. But on a positive not, I think the fact that it made her ask that question is a good sign that it peaked her interest and caused a desire for ...more
Erin Buhr
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such an amazing story. It is, on the surface, a story about a guy that gets a little caught up in sweeping all the leaves. If you dig a little deeper, the text is about a bad mood and how those bad moods can take over and grow if we allow it. Truly, it is the story of how to overcome. It's a story of looking up and finding joy. The story is unique and poetic and lovely and the illustrations are magic. Together they swirl you up in the storm of sweeping and emotion. This book is all the g ...more
Kym
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice book that most people should be able to relate to! Coupled with amusing & fun illustrations, the story reminds us how easy it can be to lose our tempers and let our anger run away with itself. Could be used to open up discussions with children about emotions and controlling these emotions - important conversations to have. ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Ed's bad mood starts small, but then it builds and builds until it becomes monumental, finally being completely blown away and replaced with a bright, fresh feeling.

Louise Greig and Julia Sarda take a gloriously novel look at emotions portrayed anew by the sweeping of leaves and the power of the wind to whirl them all away.
Effie
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boy have I been here. Many, many times. I love the way the illustrations express this mounting bad mood that overtakes everything as a pile of leaves that Ed is working so hard to keep Sweeping up. This is a wonderful book that can help kids who feel at the mercy of their moods to feel understood. Well written with great illustrations.
Christina Reid
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully-illustrated book about handling negative emotions and how they can sweep you away, leaving mayhem in their wake. I will definitely be picking up a copy of this to read and discuss in my classroom.
Lydia Duncalfe
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes we get so caught up in our own heads that we forget to take a step back and see the bigger picture.

This is the perfect book to share with children struggling to regulate and confront their emotions.
BrookesEducationLibrary
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, emotions
This is a very creative story, it confronts children's big emotions and how they deal with them into an uplifting story.
Charlos
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful art and palette in a literal story of being swept up your own emotions.
Maryam Sabbar
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I think this a great picture book for children of all ages. It can help children to understand their own emotions as well as being aware of others. It would be a good choice for PSHE lessons.
Inge
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Solid enough, but VERY white title about mood and perspective.
Cyril
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Gorgeous illustrations, and the metaphor for a bad mood really works.
Shannon
This was so well-written, such a good concept for teaching kids how bad emotions work.
Pam
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are detailed and capture the idea. Readers will enjoy looking at everything that gets swept up in Ed's bad mood.
The story itself is a bit overdone. The explanation and metaphor work but feel clunky.
The abrupt return to a better mood needed a bit more connection to make it work.
I do like the end where the author shows that Ed has a choice to look up and see beauty or do the same thing again and sweep up everyone into his bad mood.
Janet
I want these beautiful golden brown toned swirling leaves to have a different story attached to them instead of this one about letting one’s emotions spiral out of control.
Rebecca Ann
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story for kids who find it hard to process their emotions!
Rebekah
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ed is a boy that gets into a bad mood and at first that seems like a normal thing, but for Ed it begins to build and build until it’s something he can no longer control. Until that is, it passes and it all seems okay again… or is it? On the surface Greig has given us a story about a boy that gets angry but on a deeper level it shows just how all-consuming and destructive, anger and sadness can be. Even the way the words aren’t always horizontal on the page is reflective of how a bad mood really ...more
Tasha
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Ed was in a bad mood. It was a raging bad mood that hit him like a storm. It swept him up and carried him along with it. Ed started pushing leaves before him, sweeping animals and other things along the way. He piled up bicycles and even cars. But still he could not stop himself though he knew he had gone far enough. He stormed on ignoring the lovely things around him, caught up in his own mood. He swept and swept until darkness fell and everything was piled high. He sat down and considered stop ...more
Amanda
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes we all get swept up in BIG FEELINGS and it's hard to let them go and gain a new perspective, especially when you are little and don't have a frame of reference. Many people are writing reviews about this book saying that it's too simplistic or that it is putting down mental illness and not taking people's suffering seriously.

You know, Sigmund Freud said that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. In that same sort of line, I think that sometimes a children's picture book is just a childre
Jolynne Dougherty
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feelings, emotions, anger
Controlling Emotions-Anger A friend of mine read this and rated it. She was not overly impressed, but I really loved this book. (I think it's because my friend is very nice and in control of her anger. I can't really see her getting angry at all). I loved Ed. I have been Ed. Ed's anger was the kind that used to get control of me, and even thought I knew I was being prideful, I couldn't swallow my pride and be a mensch and just let it go.

I like how this book puts into words what that kind of ang
Rebecca Gomez
I give this book three stars rather than two because of the illustrations. I really wanted to love this book. Its cover is GORGEOUS, as is the internal art. The premise is clever. But the text of this book is disappointing. The story is completely carried by the pictures, and is accompanied by words that are little more than sentimental fluff. They don't tell a story. Rather, they go on about bad moods and how important it is to not let them sweep you away and get everyone around you caught up i ...more
Amy
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ed is in very bad mood. Ed’s bad mood started off small, and then he let his bad mood take over. It grew and grew, and grew, until it was so big that it covered the town. The sky became dark and Ed grew tired, but his problem was just too big. Will anything be able to fix the mess he’s in, and turn his mood around?
In a story that celebrates the joy of falling leaves, one boy's terrible mood is about to take over. Sweep, shows how one little boy learns to control his bad emotions, while also hig
Lara
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations with a lot of detail and character, showing how emotions can get out of our control, often causing us to lose sight of what else is important. I liked Ed's final thoughts too - even when we know our big moods can carry us away, sometimes we might still let them. A feeling even younger kids can relate to (some similar ideas to Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, in some ways - how our moods can color everything we see, and we can wallow in it - even l ...more
Katherine
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
The story is deftly told and the illustrations are beautiful with colors that compliment each other in a way that truly pleases the eye. Ed is a wonderfully drawn character acting out a metaphor with a broom and a pile of leaves that we can all identify with.

I could not give it five stars because it was anti-climatic and I feel really missed a core moment, the moment when Ed himself was buried by the leaves or some other action. Surely someone would have stepped in if he was effecting everyone
« previous 1 3 next »

• Layla's Happiness
  • I Want a Dog
  • Saturday
  • Pick a Pumpkin
  • Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
  • Tallulah The Tooth Fairy CEO
  • Just Because
  • Spencer's New Pet
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez
  • The Many Colors of Harpreet Singh
  • Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
  • Why?
  • Little Libraries, Big Heroes
Louise Greig is a poet and children's picture book author. She lives in Aberdeen, Scotland, and when she's not busy telling stories, she is the director of a rescue home for dogs.