Start by marking “The Crimson Queen (The Raveling, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Crimson Queen (The Raveling, #1)

The Crimson Queen

(The Raveling #1)

2016 Ink and Insights Competition - Judges' Favorite
Winner 2017 Reader's Favorite Award for Epic Fantasy
2nd in the 2017 SPFBO

Long ago the world fell into twilight, when the great empires of old consumed each other in sorcerous cataclysms. In the south the Star Towers fell, swallowed by the sea, while the black glaciers descended upon the northern holdfasts, entombing the
Published December 3rd 2016 by Alec Hutson (first published November 28th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Crimson Queen, please sign up.
Alec Hutson Hi Lawrence! Not yet, I'm working on it! Hopefully by this winter, but I'm going to make sure I'm completely happy with it before hitting publish. Tha…moreHi Lawrence! Not yet, I'm working on it! Hopefully by this winter, but I'm going to make sure I'm completely happy with it before hitting publish. Thanks for the interest, by the way!(less)

Start your review of The Crimson Queen (The Raveling, #1)
Petrik
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Petrik by: Celeste
4.5/5 stars

This book should’ve earned more fame and praise. A familiar and utterly well-written start to an epic fantasy series with prose redolent of Brian Staveley’s writing style; I loved it.

Back in 2017-2018, when I was still a reviewer for Booknest, I was one of the judges for SPFBO 3 held by Mark Lawrence. In that year’s SPFBO, The Crimson Queen by Alec Hutson won the joint runner-up spot together with Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe. My ex-blog chose this novel as their pick fo
Celeste
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Full review now posted!

Original review can be found at Booknest.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

I’m completely blown away. This book completely obliterated my expectations. It was fantastic! I’ve not read as many self published books as some of my friends and fellow reviewers have, but I’ve read enough to see that they are just as hit-or-miss as traditionally published books. As far as I can tell, there are more self-published works of fantasy and science fiction than in any other genres, which means there a
Will Wight
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of the epic fantasy elements you know and love are here: spider-filled dungeons, holy paladins, ancient forces stirring, dark wizards plotting. But these old, familiar pieces are made to serve a beautiful new story.

I have no caveats to offer, and that's not something I can say about many other books. If you're looking for a new epic fantasy story, read this one. Full stop.
Nimrod Daniel
Summary: In short, I'd say that it's a captivating classic epic fantasy with a few twists, that is set in a really interesting world. I did this as an audiobook and I'm glad I did because Guy Williams did a great job in narrating most of the characters. ($1.99 for audiobook upgrade btw).

I'll break this review into a few sections:

Writing-style - I really liked Alec's writing-style, the book is really well-written with vivid descriptions. Plus, his storytelling technique is great, so it was a real
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: 99 cents on Kindle US today 12/23/18
Mark Lawrence
I've not read this book yet, but it's one of ten finalists in the Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off 2017.

So there's that!

Review here:

More about the SPFBO here:

List of finalists here:
Alec Hutson
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I've been waiting all day for my 999 ratings to click over finally to 1k. I can't take it anymore! ...more
Kitty G Books
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spfbo
This is my final read for the #SPFBO and I am happy to say it finished up on a high. I think this is definitely the sort of fantasy read I enjoy, and although it does fall into some of the stereotypes and cliches I've come to know from fantasy, it still felt fun and original at times too.

This story follows Keilan Ferrison, a young fisher boy from a small village in a remote part of this world. Keilan's village is small and disconnected, but even as far from the thrones as he is he has heard the
Deborah Obida
Mar 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Deborah by: Petrik
Shelves: adult, fantasy
Power, no matter how great, does not ensure wisdom.

I'm starting this review by saying this book is not YA, I don't know why GR shelf it as YA, though the protagonist is a teenager, the contents of this book is not YA, it is more of coming of age.

Moving on, I had a bit of hard time reading this book, the beginning and ending was amazing whilst the middle was a struggle, that's the only reason why I'm not giving this book 5 stars. Despite the slow middle this book is more than your average rea
Shreyas Deshpande
Great new author and story

The start of an epic fantasy that has mystery, action and magic. Most of the themes will be familiar to epic fantasy readers. The world building is very good, the characters are fully fleshed, if a little cookie cutter epic fantasy tropes. Overall a solid and enjoyable story.

Ratings:- 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Mihir
Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

Author interview for those interested.

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: The Crimson Queen by Alec Hutson is at first appearance a book that might cause your eyes to glaze over it. Its cover has an unusual shade of yellow in its background along with a generic appearance of an old city. That however would be your first mistake. This book since its release in late 2016 has been slowly making waves and was slotted in to the 30 books afforded to us. Of the first batch of book
Laura Hughes
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable yarn in the epic fantasy tradition of Feist and Eddings. Hutson's use of familiar tropes to spin a tale that is nonetheless compelling and new is truly commendable, and I for one can't wait to dive back into this series when the sequel is released later this year. ...more
Zitong Ren
Ok so look, I do think that this is a great book and is also great fantasy and considering that it is self-published, it does make it stand out even more. However, due to personal taste, which is what my ratings are based off and not necessarily an in depth analysis on the many aspects of the book, I really can’t give it more than three for now. So yeah, there you go, that’s my little disclaimer.

The thing with this book thus far, is that it is full of all the standard fantasy tropes, amongst ot
Jody
May 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
“We make our own destiny. Believing otherwise abdicates responsibility for what happens, and I refuse to do that. Failure or glory, the result belongs to us."

The Crimson Queen is a nice start to a fantasy series that got better with each chapter. The first 80 pages or so were slow, but once the story began to develop I really enjoyed it. The story has some familiar fantasy tropes, but Hutson employs them well.

The world building was nicely done also. The reader gets glimpses of the h
Lukasz
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two months ago I opened Crimson Queen and DNF-ed it after few pages. I’m not sure why. Evidence suggests I have some undiagnosed neurological issue because once I opened it a few days ago I couldn’t put it down. The world sucked me in and characters were so interesting and well written that I was anxiously followed their fates.

The story starts familiarly. Our main character comes from a small fishing village. His mother was a stranger saved from the sea by his father. Her past is unknown, her fa
Mike (the Paladin)
I liked this one and have started the second.

I go only 4 stars here as the beginning of the book struck me as a bit disjointed and took just a bit to draw me in. It was a bit touch and go at first whether I'd stay with it. However it does "pull together" and is well done. At first the switches between character arcs is a bit muddy. That straightens out however as if it took a little for the writer to "find his feet."

I will say one other negative thing here but it's only about the Audio version
Julia Sarene
This one was a bit tropey, but tropes aren't there by accident, but because they usually are what a lot of readers do enjoy to see in a book. So I won't take any star for that - just mention it, so if you are looking for a very original book this one might not be for you. If you do not mind some tropes on the other hand, this might well be perfect for you!

I myself am quite fine with a bit of genericness, as long as I like the characters, worlbuilding and plot - and all of those worked out well f
The Nerd Book Review
Arighty then, I hope to do an interview with Alec at some point but I will be giving a full review since this is a SPFBO finalist this year.

I really enjoyed this book, it was a no question 5/5 for me. I thought it was fast paced and wildly entertaining. I want to read the 2nd book immediately and can promise I will read it as soon as it is available.
I also have to mention that it really reminded me in some ways of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. As someone who has read the entire WoT
Hannah Ross
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lately I have read quite a few books by indie authors, and sometimes I find myself saying forgivingly, "well, this is pretty good for an indie book". But The Crimson Queen is an excellent book by any standards - epic fantasy at the best of the genre, with a captivating plot, engaging characters and intricate world-building. This is a beginning of a high fantasy series which has the potential of becoming very successful - and certainly deserves to be so. Alec Hutson has put a lot of work into cra ...more
kazzmere
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pros: Excellent freshman effort, non-annoying teen protagonist, good plot twists.

Looking forward to #2
Satya Prateek
The Crimson Queen I felt, had all the ingredients of a good story but totally faltered in its execution.
The book takes the standard fantasy tropes of paladins, magic hating villagers, sultry witches, bar-wenches, etc and tries to wrap them all in a complex plot with several character points of view.

All of this however is bogged down by an extremely exposition heavy writing style. If you asked one of the characters in this novel if they remembered to get milk, instead of a yes or no answer you w
Ryan Mueller
This was a very good beginning to a series and author I'll be watching closely. It's classic fantasy done very well. Fans of The Wheel of Time will find a lot to like here. It isn't a copy by any means, but it gives the same vibe.

The best thing about this book is the sense of mystery throughout. You get the feeling that there is always something more beneath the surface of every interaction, every place in the world, every revelation. That sense of mystery propelled me through the book.

The chara
Beth York
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly thrilling ride with fantastic characters, addictive plot and a world that opens up and becomes so real to the reader. This is the kind of fantasy that keeps me up reading past my bed time, that I love to read and just can't put down.

Is this a stand alone? I hope not. Felt like a lot of development, that could easily roll over into many more volumes. There are still many threats left to stand against and deep old magic to develop. I hope there's more to this adventure that's published..
David Estes
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fans of George RR Martin and Will Wight will love The Crimson Queen by Alec Hutson. Hutson's prose is lyrical and spellbinding and will whisk you away to a world so vivid you can almost imagine you are living the adventure as it unfolds. A mesmerizing and grandiose tale that readers of epic fantasy will not want to miss! ...more
Vanessa
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so impressed with this book. I don't know why it hasn't received more attention - I stumbled across it by chance myself - but if it manages to reach enough people I think it will catch on in a major way. I highly recommend this book and hope it gets the recognition it deserves. Can't wait for the sequel!

Dianna
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: spoilers ahead in this review

I have mixed feelings about this book. It took a while for me to get into, since the story is told from multiple POVs and I had a hard time adjusting every time we were introduced to a new narrator. There are also a lot of names and kingdoms and explanations of old history thrown around which was hard for me to follow. The author clearly has an impressive vision in his head of this world and how the various kingdoms and other players are intertwined together, b
Chyanne
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh. A bit boring and pretty confusing, lots of elements that didn't make sense. Also, dueling perspectives with no introduction to who was talking? Could not take it. I HATE THAT. It confuses you when starting a chapter, like who is talking, this one or that one or the man on the moon, no one knows!
I couldn't really get into this and mostly skimmed it, have to many other good books to read without this one putting me in a slump.
Yeah, with my semester starting and between homework and all the ot
Sylvia Pimentel
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Intense fun. I am so ready for the next book.

This is exactly the kind of fantasy I love. Perfect escapism. Classic style of sword and sorcery, with some standard tropes, yet not formulaic. Good balance between expected and unexpected, stuff going wrong and stuff going right. The balance is exceedingly important for fantasy escapism. The reader needs to feel real concerns for the people in the world, yet if characters to whom one becomes deeply attached constantly die off in horrific or hear
Trent
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-raveling
Really enjoyed this. Sure it's tropey, but there's a reason these tropes exist - readers LOVE them. Count me amongst them! So yeah, nothing really surprised me in the story but that never kept me from wanting to keep reading.

I think my favorite aspect of The Crimson Queen was the slowly revealed world-building. Araen is an interesting world with a fascinating history that Hutson masterfully (and slowly) reveals.

This is a book that is worth your time, and deserving of the praise it has received.
J.C.
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rich, multicultural world building, intricate plot, and dazzling writing.

I wasn’t sure how to review Crimson Queen without giving away the mind-blowing revelation near the end, but here goes:

If you love classic fantasy, read this book!

If you love multiple points of view that weave together a complex tapestry of a plot, read this book!

If you love incredible world building and beautiful prose, read this book!

Whew, I’m glad I got that off my chest.

Honestly, I had a hard time getting into the story
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
/r/Fantasy Discus...: October 2019: The Crimson Queen 3 36 Oct 25, 2019 06:09PM

• Kings of Paradise (Ash and Sand, #1)
  • The Cleansing Flame (Swords and Saints #1)
  • The Twilight Empire (Swords and Saints Book 2)
  • Ascension (The Trysmoon Saga, #1)
  • The Path of Flames (Chronicles of the Black Gate #1)
  • Kings of Ash (Ash and Sand, #2)
  • The Hollow God (Swords and Saints Book 3)
  • Duty (The Trysmoon Saga, #2)
  • Kings of Heaven (Ash and Sand, #3)
  • Black Stone Heart (The Obsidian Path, #1)
  • Bloodline (Cradle, #9)
  • Dragon Mage (Rivenworld, #1)
  • Hunted (The Trysmoon Saga, #3)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal, #1)
  • The Lost War (Eidyn #1)
  • Reaper (Cradle, #10)
  • Rise of the Ranger (The Echoes Saga, #1)
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
See top shelves…

The Raveling (3 books)
  • The Silver Sorceress (The Raveling, #2)
  • The Shadow King (The Raveling, #3)