Start by marking “The Mission of a Lifetime: Lessons from the Men Who Went to the Moon” as Want to Read:
The Mission of a Lifetime: Lessons from the Men Who Went to the Moon

The Mission of a Lifetime: Lessons from the Men Who Went to the Moon

Award-winning former investigative reporter Basil Hero chronicles the life lessons humanity can learn from the twelve remaining Apollo astronauts who went to the Moon.

In rare in-depth interviews, the twelve remaining lunar explorers, for the first time, talk at length about the real right stuff; the true source of courage, leadership, and the quiet patriotism that it took
Published April 2nd 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Mission of a Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mission of a Lifetime

Start your review of The Mission of a Lifetime: Lessons from the Men Who Went to the Moon
Marian Bron
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting read. A book that brings the moon into our hands and reminds all earthlings of their duty to be good stewards of the creation we’ve been given. It’s not about the science behind the moon landings and orbits but instead about the heart of the expeditions. Basil Hero draws from personal interviews of the astronauts and some of their earlier publications, as well as others involved.
Marriage, life after NASA, faith, and humanity’s expectations are all topics he covers.
Ed Bernard
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Mission of a Lifetime
Basil Hero

This is an amazing book, about some of our finest people — the surviving astronauts who landed on the moon, and the life lessons they’ve learned. The book isn’t particularly well organized or flawlessly written, but the author handles it perfectly — having scored interviews with these guys by convincing them to talk to him, he just listens, reports and gets out of the way. The astronauts are just inspiring in every way, best summarized by Jim Lovell’s
Robert Johnson
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I am one of the lucky ones. I grew up during the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions. These brave men were true heroes. Now Basil Hero has written a book that is like sitting in a room with these living heroes and hearing them speak. There are many great books on all aspects of the moon mission but occasionally the flesh and blood of the men are lost to the science. Now we here these humble men speak in this book about how going to the moon changed the, how they view our future in ...more
Tyler
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Basil Hero has written a book about Apollo from a new perspective: not the details of the hardware and missions, but the lessons that the astronauts' experiences and thoughts can teach all of us half a century later. The men who voyaged to the Moon observed a small and fragile Earth that contained no visible borders and, after their return to Earth, called for people of all nations and races to protect such a fragile home in accordance with this view. The astronauts also displayed moral courage ...more
James
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read based on interviews with the 12 surviving (of 24) astronauts who orbited or walked on the moon. Thoughts about how the experience changed their world view and discussion of their thoughts on the future of space travel and of our planet.
Gaildentler
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful find and a great way to look back and enjoy the space race again! Such great lessons learned. Thanks Basil Hero for writing this; it speaks to the bigger picture of humanity!!
William Burrows
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A phenomenal portrait of humankind's precious and endangered incubator and of the dedicated, courageous and soulful lunar explorers who created that portrait. A must read for all Earthlings.

William E. Burrows. Aerospace historian and author of This New Ocean.
Bob Davis
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent history of these men, but more importantly the values they lived by. How the lunar mission changed each of them was particularly interesting.
Arnold
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Presenting an interesting angle on Apollo literature, this book is essentially in the advice/self-help/inspirational genre, distilling the experiences of the astronauts (and other NASA employees) into discrete lessons applicable to parts of life beyond space exploration. Though new interviews were done for the book, there’s not a ton of fresh material for readers who have read a wide range of Apollo stuff. Still, the book’s unique focus keeps things interesting through its 200ish pages.
Sandy
Jun 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
I had such high hopes for this book but it fell flat for me. I loved the chapters on Religion, the wives and the earth. Just too technical for me and hard to follow. I thought that there would be a chapter for every person but they are mixed together and it makes it hard to remember who is who.
Trish Mcintosh
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: space
Some interesting, if unsurprising, insights into the thoughts and perspectives of the men who walked on the moon. I liked hearing about the impact of the space program on their family life and faith. Really weird Jeff Bezos fanboy section toward the end. Seemed entirely random.
Nathalie
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the personal stories in this book!
Mark Grassman
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great historical book

I loved the personal connection the astronauts had to each other and to space and to the moon and the “orb” of earth. Very telling emotions.
Sasha
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
We.
Neil McGee
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the better books I have read on the Apollo moon landings as it is tied to the modern day space efforts from Blue Origin and Space X. (No mention ir Virgin Galactic)
Nancy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Most of us are familiar with"The Right Stuff"'s characters, the first astronauts in the space program. This small book takes a different tack. About the "Eagles"--the men who landed on the moon-- it explores how their training and experiences affected their personal and professional lives during their service to NASA and afterwards. A very thoughtful book which almost borders on 'self help' but in an nonintrusive sort of way. These men and their triumphs and tragedies will stay with the reader ...more
Ariane

• The Quitter
  • Sea Stories: My Life in Special Operations
  • Janis: Her Life and Music
  • Fall and Rise: The Story of 9/11
  • The Spy Who Couldn't Spell: A Dyslexic Traitor, an Unbreakable Code, and the FBI's Hunt for America's Stolen Secrets
  • The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen
  • Jungle of Stone: The True Story of Two Men, Their Extraordinary Journey, and the Discovery of the Lost Civilization of the Maya
  • Kindness and Wonder: Why Mister Rogers Matters Now More Than Ever