Start by marking “Changeling Exile (Thirteen Realms, #1)” as Want to Read:
Changeling Exile (Thirteen Realms, #1)

Changeling Exile

(Thirteen Realms #1)

I’d do anything to go home to Autumn, the fae Realm where I grew up. I might only be a changeling, but it’s where I belong. That’s why I’m doing everything the Lord of Autumn commands.

My latest job: enforcing fae laws in the human world. It’s hard enough, but it gets worse when I meet my new partner. The Hawk is a fae knight, hot as hell—and an unrelenting jerk when it
Published August 23rd 2018 by Finesse Solutions

To ask other readers questions about Changeling Exile, please sign up.
Sandra There isn't any explicit sex, there is some fairly graphic violence. I found that it did have a bit of a young adult feel to it but not really…moreThere isn't any explicit sex, there is some fairly graphic violence. I found that it did have a bit of a young adult feel to it but not really strongly, if your 12 year old is a mature reader then yeah they could give it a go.(less)

Start your review of Changeling Exile (Thirteen Realms, #1)
Phrynne
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
I enjoyed this light hearted romp through fairyland, despite the fact that there were no dragons. The last series I read by Marina Finlayson had some magnificent dragons which, if I remember rightly, had a battle in the sky over Sydney Harbour Bridge. What a sight that would be.

Anyway to get back to the current series, Allegra is a human who was raised in the Fae land of Autumn and there is nothing she wants more than to be allowed to live there again. So when she gets permission to travel there
Carolyn
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This fun fantasy set in Sydney (and the realms of the fae) was an entertaining, fast paced read with engaging characters, both human and fae.

Allegra is a changeling, stolen by the fae as a child and brought up in the fae world but exiled back to her real home when she turned 18 (a rule imposed by the fae King). A few years later she has learnt to assimilate into the human world and has made friends with other changelings and fae who chose to live amongst humans. However, she would do anything
Mara
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
My nits
Too NA for me, I am not fond of the '20 something woman who sees a guy and gets tingly and wet' trope.
No reasons behind the starting plot point, why involve her?
If someone considers you a second class citizen and at 18 literally dumps you in the trash with no help, money or way to survive, I wouldn't be a happy camper. Nor would I jump in happily to help every time I was called upon. Either the Realms are kind of a deadly drug, and therefore you are an addict, or I can't see where the
Monique V
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It was not that great

I mean half way through the book i began to loose interest and then I regained it at the end. So it was just an alright book overall
Tiera McMillian
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5. This was actually a good read, a tiny bit of magic, a little political intrigue, some interesting allies, a bit of mystery. I felt the world building was fine, with backstory thrown throughout.

Our FMC Allegra is a changeling a human raised in Fairy and dumped back on earth at age 18. There really wasn’t an explanation of why changelings happened in the first place, only that they have a sort of community in the human realm and there weren’t very many of them. Also that they themselves are
Heather Gilbert
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
3.5 rounded up

This book started with such promise, but lost me about midway. Luckily it caught me again near the end and I able to finish, but it felt like a struggle. The plot and ultimate mystery of the novel felt confusing and a bit forced.

Pros:
- interesting world building
- Characters are unique

Cons:
- Choppy occasionally
- Plot became confusing
GP
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent introduction to wonderful heroine

A well crafted urban fantasy with a heroine who is humane and easy to identify with. The Hawk manages to come across as a decently fleshed out character instead of a.set of pecs in tight jeans described over and over again. I wasn't hoping for much so it's a nice surprise to have gotten so caught up in the mystery, Allegra's great friendships with Sage and Willow as well as feeling every ounce of anxiety when they traveled into The Wilds. Really
Melina Moyes
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it can't wait for the next one!
Sonjipants
I am so sick of the trope of the heroine being backed in the corner, being forced on a quest with the male protagonist who is initially an asshole but redeems himself later.

This started out really promising and I got really excited when I realised it was set in Sydney and that's where I live. But add tired trope, poor world building, annoying character habits and such convenient things occurring for our heroine and I was deflated pretty fast
Dewayne Hamilton
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intriguing !

This one kept me guessing . The characters are fun and grab your attention more than most . "Home is where the people you love are. " How very true.
Katie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
M. Lee
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The backbone of this novel was actually good, there were just few things I was annoyed with throughout the novel.

I thought the way the main character was so pathetically whiny about wanting to go back to a realm and mother that literally abandoned her was irritating. I couldn't really connect with the character. She felt young and immature. It could just be, possibly, that because if I were put in this position I definitely wouldn't be bending over backwards to try and spend time in a place
Vintagebooklvr
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
An enjoyable read. I thought the world-building was well-done and it is an interesting spin to see it from the point of view of a changeling who has been rejected back into the human world and is trying to adapt to her home of origin but not of her heart. The fae world is nicely depicted with both beauty and danger but it probably impossible to convey the full enchantment the fae world is suppose to have which makes the human world seem very drab--like being forced to live in a world of grey ...more
Rambling Rose
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantastic-fae
Fantastic storyline!

I legit LOVED this book! The storyline was new and different, the characters are likable, and it was well-written with very few grammatical errors. I love anything about the fae, but honestly I’ve been very tired of the same crap over and over. Something about this book just feels new to me.

The world building was very good, the author gave enough information so that you have a general understanding of the world of fairy, but she left out enough to build on the mystery of
Sandra
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This was nearly was a DNF for me, I started it, got to the bit when Allegra and the Hawk are asked to find missing clothing, and I thought that was a bit too odd, and went off and read quite a few other books, but then returned to this one, I was glad I perservered in the end as I did enjoy it.
Little details like Allegra seeing the suggestion of Hawk's wings were cool, and Yriell calling him fly boy was pretty funny.
There was one scene that felt like it had been stolen straight from the Lord of
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I am not into fairies, elves, trolls or leprechauns for the most part, so this is not my usual reading material. However, the book was interesting, didn't go way out in left field and do some strange stuff, but was a well thought out crafted story. The author also introduced some characters early in the book that didn't play much of a part in this book but looked like she was just introducing them for a later book. I like that. The characters were well thought out, and some planning has been ...more
Donna
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great descriptive adventure

This book contains a complete story, no cliffhanger. It is well written. The heroine is strong, independent and at the same time emotionally vulnerable. There is not an over abundance of characters to track. The story unfolds around an investigation which turns out to be more complex. There is action and adventure. The friendship between Willow, Sage and Allegra is believable. I am looking forward to the next book and how this trilogy unfolds. This is the first book I
Dawn Siemer
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good fantasy adventure

Alleges is a competent warrior, but it is a little weird when her elven patron assigns her to help a fae knight solve a mystery. I wished she was a little more competent with human technology, having been in the mortal realm for 4 years.

The action was good and the characters were sympathetic. There is attraction, but no real romance in this book. Alleges thinks the Hawk is handsome, but the chemistry between them isn't great. It looks like they might get together in a later
Dani Rossmann
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good story, worth a read

I really enjoyed this story. It moved along nicely, wasn't entirely predictable, and made me want to continue with the second book. I did miss a clarification on Rowan, like he disappeared after the first concert and wasn't really mentioned again other then someone else casting suspicion on him. And what about her mother? That book starts off with a memory of her, but we know nothing of her, and if she wasn't amazing, why the need to go back? Maybe that will be tackled in
Jana Gundy
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great new series

I absolutely loved this book. It was a fantastic UF that you will get so engrossed in, you won't want to put it down. Allegra is a great lead character that is tough and loyal but also longs to to be home in faerie. She gets teamed up with a knight of the fae realm to find some missing items but what they find is bigger than that! The ending was satisfactory but left with a lot of questions and what does the Hawk want with Allegra?
Dakota
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very intriguing

Very enjoyable first installment. I really enjoyed getting to know Allegra and her crew as she investigated her new case for the Autumn Lord.
I really liked Hawk and seeing him and allegra work together, can you say chemistry. I can't wait to see what happens next. So much was discovered but there are questions as to why certain people did certain things and why her....da da duuuum! Bring on book two.
Tiffany Lekanoff
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh My Fae Heart

Couldn't put it down, read this book within the day and now heading onto the second. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book being when I first started reading some fae based books they seemed way too snobbish and hard to like despite their described beauty. Sure they are still kinda snobbish in this but not to the point it put me off on the story.

I quite enjoyed this book and recommend it to other Urban Fiction readers.
Melissa Stiles
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read from my new favorite author.

I didn't expect to start this series and become so addicted to the story and characters. The story line draws you in, however the characters make you fall in love with it. I would recommend this book and the author to other addicts of the fantasy genre.
Jillene
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was definitely sucked into this story and overall enjoyed it immensely. There was a little bit of repetition in how some things were described, but the story unfolded smoothly and with plenty of action and witty humor. I look forward to reading the rest of this series and seeing how everything unfolds.
Tia
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really Good Read

Mysterious happenings are occurring and Allegra is summoned to find rare missing items. But, there's another, longer mystery that appears to be parallel to finding the missing drake skins. The King has been gone for 20 years and all assume he's lost for good. The characters are realistic and interesting. The storyline is believable and compelling. Very good.
Vickie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely Enchanting

I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns of this book. There was an epic quality the made me dream of kingdoms and wars and magic. The only problem I had though, was there was a bit of a YA quality about it. But this could be because Allegra is pretty young here. Hope we see her grow up a bit in the next books.
Kym
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful World

I truly enjoyed the world built in this book. It was easy to connect with Allegra, Willow and Sage, which pulled me into the story. There are several loose ends, that would most likely be addressed in the other books in the series, but overall, this book felt complete.
Aimee
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
I enjoyed this book because it was an interesting take on the Fae. The character development was good, it is well written, I just didn't love it and I don't know why. Maybe I will re-read it when I am in a different frame of mind and I will change my mind.
Dan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Very Good Story

This story, about a changeling girl, takes the reader into the world of the fae. It has a lot of action, strong characters, a sophisticated world and an interesting plot. This was a very easy read and I recommend it highly.
Helen Wawrejko
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good mystery

Allegra is a channeling exiled to the mortal realm. When a chance arises to be welcomed back to faery, she takes the strange order to help a knight find missing clothing made of shed Dragon skin. The missing king has everything to do with it.

• Live Fae or Die Trying (The Paranormal PI Files #1)
  • Court of Darkness (Institute of the Shadow Fae, #2)
  • Court of Shadows (Institute of the Shadow Fae, #1)
  • Wings of Light (The Obsidian Order, #1)
  • Demons and Deception (Magic Blood: The Warlock, #1)
  • Taker of Spells (The Tattered Veil, #1)
  • Demon Fire (Brimstone Magic, #1)
  • Magic Bite (Supernatural Bounty Hunter, #1)
  • Dead Fae Walking (The Paranormal PI Files, #2)
  • Court of Night (Institute of the Shadow Fae, #3)
  • Bad Fae Rising (The Paranormal PI Files #3)
  • Wings of Night (The Obsidian Order #2)
  • Paralyzed (Medicine and Magic, #6)
  • Shrill Dusk (City of Magic #1)
  • Witch's Shadow (Hemlock Chronicles, #1)
  • Court of Dreams (Institute of the Shadow Fae, #4)
  • Full Blood (Wyrd Blood Book 2)
  • Heart of the Thief (The Wardbreaker #1)
Marina Finlayson is a reformed wedding organist who now writes fantasy. She is married and shares her Sydney home with three kids, a large collection of dragon statues and one very stupid dog with a death wish.

Thirteen Realms (3 books)
  • Changeling Magic (Thirteen Realms, #2)
  • Changeling Illusion (Thirteen Realms #3)