Start by marking “The Meadows” as Want to Read:
The Meadows

The Meadows

A decades-old murder. A strange, blood-thirsty cult. And a house full of spirits.

It was supposed to be a new beginning, a fresh start in the Shenandoah Valley, where Scarlett’s memories weren’t riddled with drug addiction and rehab. But after purchasing an abandoned house with a checkered past in the hopes of transforming it into a luxury bed and breakfast, strange things
Published October 19th 2018 by Carfax Abbey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Meadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Meadows

Start your review of The Meadows
Tammie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-dark
The Meadows was an enjoyable and creepy read-4.5 stars! The book centers around Scarlett-a country music writer that is fresh out of rehab. In order to get her life straight, Scarlett leaves Nashville and buys an abandon mansion in the Shenandoah Valley in hopes of restoring it and making it a bed and breakfast. As Scarlett begins renovations, she quickly finds out that she is way out of her depths on this one.
This is no ordinary mansion-it’s a large creepy place where an entire family was
Victoria Gilbert
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I received this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Ok what do I say?
Firstly the good stuff
- I enjoyed the writing style and found the narrative smooth and easy to follow.
- I liked the premise of the book, however
The not-so-good stuff
- I found the story extremely repetitive
- I found the female lead character frustrating
- I didn’t like any characters
- The plot gets a bit ridiculous
It just wasn’t for me
Dana-Adriana B.
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wow, this is a gripping story. It is about the dark history of a mansion that is brought to life by Scarlett. Creepy enough for me.
Thank you Netgalley for this nice book.
Bandit
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one initially attracted me with a mention of a cult in description. But then there were all these detractors…unknown author, unknown publisher, horrid choice of a name for the main character, (actually, having read this, all around questionable name choices), but ok, gave it a try. And it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I mean, yes, there are vampires, of course there are vampires, just look at the author’s photo, pure goth there, but the book itself was a lot of fun to read. The ...more
Heather Withington
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brilliantly creepy and wonderfully written book, the only real issue for me was the ending which was not as strong as the rest of the book. However, despite this I really enjoyed reading this book which provides some genuine scares and creepy moments.

We follow Scarlett, a recovering alcoholic, who buys The Meadows in order to transform it into a B and B. However, the house is hiding some secrets that are now starting to come out of the woodwork.

Scarlett is an interesting and multidimensional
Aly
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is a bit creepy and super fun to read. If you like things that go bump in the night, this book is for you. I enjoyed it! I love dark and spooky with little something different on the side. A creepy house and so much more caught my attention in this book. I could picture parts of this book and house in my mind. What a great mansion! *This book was given to me for free at my request from NetGalley and I provided this voluntary review.* ...more
Dee
The first half of this story deserves 5 stars hands down. I was riveted to the pages, couldn't flip 'em fast enough.

Then, the edge of your seat 'what the hell is going on?' lost its luster. The second-half went on for far too long, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first half.

5 stars for the first-half, 3 stars for the second. Overall rating 4 stars.

Copy obtained via NetGalley.
Jypsy
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I never read scary books, and I probably shouldn't have read this one. The Meadows is straight up creepy and menacing. Scarlett made a bad decision when she bought the house. I would be more like-I'm not buying that gothic manor house out here in the black forest! But she did buy it and the story unfolds all the sinister secrets of this place. Murder and mayhem and evil spirits. I felt like something was watching me every time I read the story. I did like the plot overall. I thought Scarlett was ...more
 Reading Divergence
THE MEADOWS is one SCARY novel! The author finely tunes the tension, drawing the reader along to follow the feckless, definitely self-destructive, heroine, an acclaimed songwriter, as she battles her addictions, not very successfully. But the real question becomes: Is she hallucinating from alcohol and controlled substances, or are these apparitions, manifestations, sounds, voices, actually REAL? Is this property, the size of an estate, actually HAUNTED? Or has falling off the wagon after five ...more
Joanne Tinkler (Mamajomakes)
Firstly, many thanks to Netgalley and BooksGoSocial for allowing me to read this book in exchange for my honest review.

Having just finished another horror story, I was looking forward to feasting my eyes on this. As I read the synopsis I thought the book was right up my street. A haunted house. The main character fighting her demons. Yes, it definitely sounded like my kind of story.

Unfortunately this book didn’t do it for me. It felt overcrowded with scenarios and characters, most of whom I
peggy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my usual genre but I have to say that WOW this is one hell of a read.
A very old murder, a blood thirsty cult and more ghosts and demons than you can throw a stick at. The premise of this book has been done before but this one is so much more. Plenty of blood and gore, atmospheric and chilling and kept me reading late into the night. A ghost story that will have the hairs standing up on the back of your neck and checking for strange noises. I loved it, definitely one o f the better ghost
Alicia Miller
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018, netgalley
Creepy, terrifying, and extremely mysterious. This paranormal horror had me constantly on the edge of my seat into the wee hours of the morning (or really my bed, just not too close to the edge in case something scary popped out ). If you’re still looking for something slightly unsettling that will make you want to keep the lights on this October, look no further than The Meadows. My next read may have to be a little lighter so that I can maybe sleep tonight. Excellent book!

Julie Porter
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
London Clark's The Meadows is the best kind of horror or psychological thriller. Many novels of these types pile on the scares and we want the protagonists to escape from the spooky situation.
Then there are ones like The Meadows where the scares happen, but it might be impossible for the protagonist to escape, because the protagonist themselves are the problem. The protagonist is filled with some deep secret or personal problem that affects the environment around them. They do this to the point
Katherine Moore
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scarlett DeHaven is a country-song songwriter who let success in Nashville lead her to fall into the trap of drugs and alcohol. After a stint in rehab, she moves to Virginia after having purchased a huge gothic historic mansion, and plans to turn it in to a bed and breakfast, despite the enormity of the task or even all the signs she seems to be getting from around her that it’s the wrong thing to do.
She gradually finds out that Asphodel House and Meadows was the site of a brutal mass killing,
Jaclyn
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The Meadows is an eerie, hair-raising tale that takes readers on a journey of dark mysteries and vengeful spirits. This book is the first one to ever give me goosebumps and a feeling that "someone is watching me." I loved that it could do that to me-something I never thought possible. The descriptions were so well written that I could picture every intended detail.

I couldn't quite relate to the main character as much as I would have liked, but she was still a good lead. Her struggles and
Amy Littleford
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am reviewing this book after receiving a free copy from Hidden Gems Books.

I had no idea what to expect from this book. It took me longer to read than I expected, only because I couldn't read it at night. I doubt I would have slept well! As soon as I read the prologue I was hooked and then I didn't put it down. Only when I had to! While reading it I got so engrossed that I would jump when someone spoke to me or I heard a noise I wasn't expecting. The Meadows was so thrilling and the suspense
Julie
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic thrill ride through the pages of vampires, demons and mystery. London Clarke has a voice reminiscent of the gothic tales of old. Although the main character was flawed and ever so slightly unlikable, she felt real and her efforts at cleansing her new home kept me reading into the small hours.
G. Edward  Smith
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great characters and a well-crafted storyline make The Meadows an excellent read. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a book to burn through on the weekend.
Kritika
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first horror book on the read shelf. Amazing for the ones who like Horror. Engaging and mysterious. Action filled. The haunted house legend and the presence of unknown spirits. The tunnel part was amazing connecting to the river where all the rituals are being done by the vampire cults.
A must read for the Horror lovers.
Heather
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(This review is also on my blog All the Ups and Downs.)

I loved London Clarke's first book, Wildfell, so I was definitely looking forward to her next book, The Meadows. I loved this book! It was so spooky and creepy which are my favorite types of books.

The pacing for The Meadows was perfect. Not once did I feel like this book slowed down where I was becoming bored. It is definitely a fast paced thriller, but it's not too fast paced in the sense that you have no clue what just happened.

The world
Lynda Stevens
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
London Clarke, it seems, has a penchant for gothic. This one is about a professional singer with major drink issues who decides to go into real estate instead. She buys an ancient mansion in the middle of nowhere, at a bargain rate whilat at the same time, a loyal d friend Stella joins her as they wait for the house to be renovated in its full glory.....
Of course, it follows that the house is haunted, not just from chandelier rattling ghosts, but from demons, succubi and wannabee vampires. To
Flopinbooks
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Booktasters and the author, London Clarke, for giving me the beautiful chance of reading this awesome book.

How to start? I enjoyed a lot this book. It has an original story with a palpable terror in all the pages. Also you can't stop reading for a second! There is something new in all the chapters that hooks you.

The description is awesome. It's perfect and I could imagine all the situations. You can feel the fear of the character and I felt horror of that house too
There are long
Christine Grace
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
If you usually seek to be gripped by fear in the middle of the night (or in the afternoon, whatever time you fancy to be scared for leisure), this book is for you. The slow yet engaging plot of the story leaves the reader hesitantly wanting for more, knowing it's gonna hurt, but going ahead and deciding it's worth it. It's not your usual Vampire novel, which to be honest is what I thought it's going to be when I first started reading it. But NO, I was dead wrong. It's not Bella falling in love ...more
Trina
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, netgalley, arc, kindle
I received this arc from Netgalley.

Horrifying read! I love horror reads and this one did not disappoint. It scared me so much that I refused to read it after dark. Definitely a four read. I will look for other books by this author.
Savera
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of The Meadows from the author (via Booktasters) in exchange for an honest review.
In my opinion, stories about haunted houses never get old, so I was thrilled to read this book.
London Clarke builds tension well, to the point that I couldn't wait to read the next chapter. There was a creepiness surrounding most of the setting (which was beautifully described).
The main character, Scarlett, did frustrate me on occasion - but given that she's a recovering drug addict,
Britain
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Before I begin, can I just say that I'm a newcomer to NetGalley but I am slowly becoming their biggest fan. It is a great platform where avid readers can get free copies of ARC's and review them. I've been a book worm my whole life and just recently heard of this awesome site. So kudos to you NetGalley, keep being awesome.
Moving on...
I have been on a serious hunt to find a book that took scaring me to a whole new level. I have come close in the past with "BirdBox" by Josh Malerman, "Heart-Shaped
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Welp, I was really curious about this book. It is almost Halloween so I was eager to read a book with horror and haunting and all that stuff. Plus I was curious about the MC and her trying to pick up her life.

Sadly, at 46% (though I should say I read 50% of the book as I skipped to the ending) I just had to drop it. Urgh, the horror was great, it was creepy, it amazing. Sadly, I am dropping this book as the MC was just
Cherry
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
I never thought I'd like this book, actually. It took me a while to finish it up but it's not like it was dragging me to read it. At first, I didn't like the wordings used for thirteen year olds:

"But Jason's little sister Laura was thirteen ... and th hottest thing Hunter had ever seen."

I think it would have been appropriate to use "the cutest"

It gave me the chill as I read this in my dark room.

"But there was something in the background - something materializing behind me as I crooned away.
Kathryn
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book courtesy of Booktasters and London Clarke for an honest review. The Meadows tells the story of Scarlett DeHaven, a recovering addict, who wants to leave the bad memories of Nashville behind for a new start. She purchases a mansion in Virginia called the Asphodel House. Unbeknownst to her, the mansion has a sinister history. While renovating the house, Scarlett begins to see and hear things wondering if she is hallucinating it. She relapses not too long after. The ...more
ReadtoRamble
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad that I decided to read this book, I got it in exchange for an honest review and I'm so glad that this is the one I picked.
I usually don't read books like this one because I consider myself to be a complete wimp when it comes to spooky or horror books. This didn't scare me in the least, but gosh was it atmospheric. It follows the main character called Scarlet, a country songwriter from Nashville who wants to get her life back on track after leaving rehab. She decides to open a bed
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Rescue A Ghost Assassin Affair
  • Chasing Echoes
  • Cornered
  • Stone Cold (Rebecca Watson Series Book 1)
  • Shape Of A Woman
  • Twisted Reunion
  • Autumn of Fear (Fearless)
  • Little Darlings
  • Soul of a Warrior
  • The Doll Collector
  • The Brotherhood (Magdalena #2)
  • The Sixth Wicked Child (4MK Thriller, #3)
  • Best Kept Secret
  • The Line Between (The Line Between #1)
  • Redemption (Cattenach Ranch, #1)
  • Peace, Blood, and Understanding (Half-Moon Hollow #7)
  • Unbalanced
  • Desire and Duty (Valladora Tales #1)