Start by marking “To Love A Monster” as Want to Read:
To Love A Monster

To Love A Monster

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Deep in the wilderness of northern Canada a monster lurks.
For years, he has fought an uphill battle for his humanity, only to lose it to the beast inside him at the end.

When he attacks me in the woods then reluctantly helps me fight for survival, my strange journey to discover the troubled man who hides underneath the dreadful appearance and the gruff attitude begins.
The m
ebook, 1
Published October 11th 2018

To ask other readers questions about To Love A Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Love A Monster

Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
cbd0ec0f3eef96bc0cc53080ac45493b.gif

5 Stars
Arc Book Review
Release Date-11/10/18

OMG Wow Wow Wow!!!

Wow-GIF.gif

Words cannot describe how much I bloody devoured this book: I read this in just one sitting so engrossed was I in the story unfolding before my very eyes.
This was a new author for me but as soon as the basic premise caught my attention here I was sold.
I have a soft spot for anything beauty and the beast related: even loosely, and so far I have been mostly disappointed.
Few of the stories I have indulged in have managed to live up to the
Sissy's Romance Book Review
To Love A Monster by Marina Simcoe is the story of Sophie and Monster.
Sophie when she was a teenager was almost attacked by her high school crush Hunter. So it has made her have nightmares and hard to physically connection with a boyfriend. Monster was once a beautiful / handsome man on the outside but on the in side to to his upbringing he turned very ugly and mean on the inside. When he treated one women very badly a cursed was placed on him that made him ugly and a monster on the outside. In
Casey Nicholson
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“As you wish, Sophie. I can’t deny you anything. I can never be the man you deserve, but I’ll die trying.” -Monster

A modern day, realistic spin on the classic Beauty and the beast but with a twist.

Couldn’t help but love Monster with all his past imperfections and it’s easy to see how much Sophie meant to him as he worked to help her and correct the errors of his ways.
I loved this book and wanted more of it, I wasn’t ready to stop reading when the book ended! I need more!!!

Marina, I absolutely
Marina Simcoe
Aug 28, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote

Bubbles The Book Pimp
Finding intruders on his land is one thing, one of those intruders turning our to be a girl from his long forgotten past is another...unable to stop his beast like instinct and hurting her in the process fills Monster with a guilt and flood of emotions he thought he had long forgotten.

Unable to face the consequences of Sophie potentially dying on his land and the attention this will bring, he finds himself aiding her enough to get her to leave. But with her leaving he finds himself unable to st
Nike
Let me start saying that I love Ms. Simcoe books, she is always able to create these amazing characters and situations, you just feel like you are right there with the H/h every step of the way; maybe that’s the reason why this book was so difficult for me.
Years ago, Monster did something bad, and he was punished by his actions, now he lives alone in a mansion by the woods, tortured by his past, away from the world and away from humans; waiting for the time in which he can die in peace. When he
Merry Jelks-Emmanuel
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a unique retelling of the classic Beauty and the Beast about love and redemption. Sophie has a way with the beast and it is the monster in the end that saves her even though her boyfriend leaves her out in the elements. When she awakens she finds herself in the home of the monster whom she realizes can communicate with her through speech. As these two spend time together guards are coming down but both have inner demons they have to overcome. Will these two become a match that helps the ...more
Sara F.
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can there be a more perfect modern day re-telling of beauty and the beast? I loved every second of it. The hero is so tortured and yet thoroughly lovable. And he really is a beast. So, make sure you’re trigger warnings are loaded because there’s lots of fur and tail action. The background between the main couple was thoughtful and added a nice dose of angst. Minor caveat, I thought the heroine’s ongoing anxiety issues were a little overplayed, but it works well in the story. Dont’t worry, there’ ...more
Jannie Cv
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An intense, beautifully told story!
I love this very unique take on a classic tale of love and redemption.
Sophie and ‘Monster’ were busy pulling emotions from me throughout, as more was disclosed about each of them. I admire Sophie for all she does to help others, including volunteer work. It’s just too bad that it has taken so long to use some of those resources herself. It is amazing to watch Monster as his personality changes after encountering Sophie. It’s an awesome love story!
I voluntarily
Tammy Simmons
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was an amazing read! A retelling of Beauty and the Beast but with a terrific different tone. Sometimes a second chance is deserving if the person has truly changed. The author has an amazing talent of using the perfect wording to make you feel for the characters and feel their pain, sorrow and happiness. Sophie needed closure and someone to show her true love and caring and Monster needed Sophie and her love despite his appearance. A very captivating read with its own HEA at the end.
Melinda Workman
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My goodness, I loved this story which is a modern day fairy tale. Sophie is a damaged soul who has not been able to move beyond a traumatic event in her youth. Monster is a predator who is forced to live daily with the consequences of his closed heart and callous actions. There are tears, anger and forgiveness along the road to an HEA. And a big ole curve ball that comes to light. Secrets must be revealed to break the spell and release both their broken hearts. Author Simcoe is a master story te ...more
Sofia
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Full Stars
What a wonderful take on the Beauty and the Beast. Loved that both characters are broken in different ways and are trying to heal regardless of what has happened to them and also because of what they had to endure as they were growing up
Love the way Ms Simcoe weaves her stories
This is a wonderful story that is now one of my favorites
Mary Brannian
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sophie Morel is at loose ends; having dropped out of medical school, Sophie is seeking some place to just be. Urged to join her boyfriend Jason on a nature photo-shoot, they trespass onto private property. A sudden howling and the unexpected appearance of a fantastical apparition sends them scurrying away. Unfortunately, Sophie trips and twists her ankle. Jason, uncaring, continues his flight to safety. Only the intervention of the monster saves Sophie from death by exposure, or worse…
Upon awake
Kim
I think I've read every single Beauty & the Beast retelling out there worth reading, and there are lots of great ones (see: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1... ).

To Love a Monster is one of the best Beauty and the Beast retellings I've read, rivalling McKinley's "Beauty", Maas' "A Court of Thorn and Roses", and Novik's "Uprooted". This book will be a re-read for sure.

All of Marina Simcoe's books are beautifully written and un-put-downable. This one is no exception.
Jackie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A totally delightful story about a man lost inside a monster’s body. He’s searching for his humanity before it’s totally lost. Along the way, there’s help to be had. Waiting for the next.
Scarolet Ellis
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To Love A Monster by Marina Simcoe is a great story to read. I loved reading this great story of a child hood story, and this romantic story is a great one. I recommend this story to all who loved the Beauty and the Beast story growing up.

Shari Kay
Oct 03, 2018 marked it as maybe-maybe-not
Waiting for digital edition on Amazon
Christina Rodriguez
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this take on Beauty and the beast! I really enjoyed the twists in this book and the characters who were broken but loved eachother enough to heal.
Tiffany Roberts
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, beautiful, and sexy modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I adored Sophie, but I absolutely loved Monster. After being cursed and losing the last and only person who cared for him, he let the beast truly take him, giving up human emotions. Until Sophie enters his life. He wants her, but can’t let her go, and will do anything he can to keep her.

One of my favorite lines from this book from Monster as he works through his bitterness and anger at what he’s become is a bit on the naughty
Rhonda Hicks
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fairytale kind of person, this one is definitely a grown up version of Beauty and the Beast!! Two damaged people help each other become whole with a beautiful HEA. I was enthralled with this one.

Sandra Tougas
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading!

I loved this book and the storyline. The characters drew me in from the start. Never judge a book by its cover and never judge someone by their looks are something everyone should keep in mind.
Charlotte
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For adult readers.
This sort of a modern day, adult version of Beauty and the Beast. Hunter had a terrible father who solved disagreements with his fists. Hunter was often the one to feel his father's fists while his mother was stoned or passed out drunk. Unfortunately for Hunter, he realized a little to late that he had his father's temper.
Sophie has never been able to have any sort of a relationship with men because of an attack that happened to her when she was a teenager. Sophie just had her
Joyffree
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Sophie is a strong and fun leading heroine - a bit insecure at times and like Monster a bit emotionally lost.
A tragic event from her past left untended has dictated her future.
Monster -angry, forgotten - he wants to forget - forget the past that paved his present - forget the man who once forgot all civility
This was a sweet take on a beloved fairy tale - really enjoyed the way the author approached the story - the slow build between them, the outside influences - and the past mistakes that event
Beyond The Covers Blog
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: maryann
To love a Monster is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Sophie and her two friends went to a lodge because her boyfriend wanted to photograph the lodge because of its beauty.  However unknown to them inside the lodge is the beast, and so begins another story of beauty and the beast and although I'm not a huge fan of beauty and the beast this story was really good the author did a great job of making you feel like you where there.
Douglas Williamson
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two damaged people thrown together. One kind, one with anger issues. Add a bit of the paranormal and you have our story.

You know the plot and where it is going, including the expected HEA. So what you need to know is about the journey. The story is well crafted, and the characters have the depth necessary to support the plot. The journey itself will be rather difficult, with some real emotional sections, both positive and negative. The author does an excellent job of keeping the reader's interes
Amanda R
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just another Beauty and the Beast story

This is now my all time favorite Beauty and the Beast book. First of all they have a back story and ties to each other and even if you guess what is going on with the story. You are constantly thinking ok now he will change. Oh wait he will change back this time. And add in other heart aches and I think I cried until I had no tears. Love love loved this book. I will definitely be reading more by Marina Simcoe .
Debbie Kilburn
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Monster Or Hunter

Sophie learned to love Monster, but why wouldn't he tell her what his name was? Could she be the key to unlock his misery? I recommend this book to adults who love a fairy book ending.
Kristi
Really nice Beauty and the Beast story. Sophie and Monster both have things in their past that cause their issues of today. The viewpoints switch back and forth between the two of them as well as having flashbacks to explain what happened back then to affect right now.

Sweet romance and redemption story for both of them.
BookPauper
A really beautiful Beauty and the Beast story. Sophie and Monster bring each other into the light and I thought it was lovely.
Adia Al-rubayee
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Modern beauty and beast story

I couldn’t put this book down! Very satisfying read. Enjoyed the open minded Sophie and the beasty beast very much! Strongly recommend it
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marina Simcoe likes to write love stories with characters who may or may not be entirely human. She firmly believes that our contemporary world could use a little bit of the extraordinary!
She has lots of fun exploring how her out-of-this-world characters with their own set of beliefs, values and aspirations fit into our everyday life.

For more illustrations of her books please visit Marina Simcoe A