Start by marking “A Southern Season: Stories from a Front Porch Swing” as Want to Read:
A Southern Season: Stories from a Front Porch Swing

A Southern Season: Stories from a Front Porch Swing

Four seasons. Four stories. Each one set in the enchanting world of the South. These are the kinds of stories your grandmother told you from a front porch swing.
Ice Melts in Spring by Linda W. Yezak
When Kerry Graham's boss forces her to return to the Gulf of Mexico where her husband drowned years ago, she feels only spring's chill and not the warmth of the Texas sun. C
Published November 1st 2018 by Firefly Southern Fiction

To ask other readers questions about A Southern Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Southern Season

Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Not having been exposed to the culture of the South, this was an interesting read. I liked the cozy hometown feel, especially of the second story. With the first and third stories, I didn't expect the focus on grief and it was a bit of a downer with the angst and misery. The fourth story had a main character that was kind of self-centered, and I had a hard time connecting with her and the other characters. I would recommend the story by Eva Marie Everson since it left me with a good feeling and ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
3.5 rounded up. This was a great idea for a collection of novellas told from the front porch swing. Each author was to write a Christian story, during one of the four seasons, with the theme of listening to God and finding your way to him or back to him. I loved the setting of the South, even though we were in Texas, Tennessee and Georgia, there was a similar vibe to the various towns. I was not sure what to expect as the stories all varied quite a bit with loss of a loved one being central to t ...more
Amber Stokes
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amber-s-kindle
This is quite a unique collection of novellas with a good amount of variety. Three of the stories feature some romance alongside other relationships, which I always enjoy! And three of the stories feature a contemporary setting, while the other is set during a time of somewhat recent history. I love the different seasons and when that theme is featured in literature, so that was also a plus for me.

Ice Melts in Spring by Linda W. Yezak: I've read another story by this author (Give the Lady a Ride
Carole Jarvis
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Southern Season is a creative and delightfully entertaining collection of southern inspiration by Eva Marie Everson, Claire Fullerton, Linda W. Yezak, and Ane Mulligan. Each story is pure delight! I’m a southern girl, so this collection hits close to home. It amazes me how the stories – encompassing the four seasons and traveling from Memphis, to the Texas Gulf Coast, to my home state of Georgia – can be so different, yet convey the essence of southern charm in their own way. I can’t pick a fa ...more
Suzie Waltner
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
While the short stories in A Southern Season are written by different authors and each have a unique voice, there is a natural cohesion that works.
Eva Marie Everson, Claire Fullerton Linda W. Yezak and Ane Mulligan combine their talents and southern roots to bring readers a book filled with relationships healed, hope and faith restored, and new dreams realized.
Grab a glass of sweet tea and get ready to experience the south in all of its wonderful intricacies, cultures, and hometown heart and
Bree
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a breeze to read this collection and enjoy each story. I liked that it was short and truly sweet reads, that still managed to engage me as the reader. The idea of a season for each story was a great way to divide the stories and make them unique.
Ice Melts in Spring,was slightly intense for me. To think of having to be brave and face where your loved one died is something that I haven’t read before in a book. I love that Kate had this stone heart personality and it morphed into a heart an
Jarm Del Boccio
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
What does a beach house, a doctor, a funeral and a play have in common? A Southern drawl! Four contemporary stories connected by location, lost and found loves, a dog or three, and woven with faith, family and friends. You are sure to find a favorite among these light but insightful stories as I did. And you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the gift of an O. Henry” ending to one!
Kat (caveat.lectors)
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Four beautifully written short stories. This is the first book I have ever read that consisted of multiple short stories and I felt satisfied after reading each story. I had no clue short stories could be so well written and end with a feeling of closure.
Judy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great collection of short stories! These stories have some of my favorite things – small towns, wonderful characters, Christian values, Christian love, seemingly hard decisions to make, and maybe even a lesson or two thrown in. I’m happy I don’t have to pick a favorite story or character. I hope you give this book a read. If you enjoy a good Christian read, I think you’ll enjoy it too. I received this book from BookFunnel, but my opinion is my own and given freely.

Elisabeth P. Comet Readings
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't have the chance to read these authors before, but I was so compelled by the cover and luckily I received an ARC of these short stories. Wrapped in the perfect southern charm, this book narrates, through well-written characters, stories of love, loss, and second chances. So recommended for those who love to read and explore the seasons of life (this time through 4 compelling authors).
Fizzy
Ice Melts in Spring by Linda W. Yezak

Let me just start by saying that this collection is filled with new to me authors. Any time you branch out to new authors it’s a toss up. You love them or. . . This toe dip into the Linda W. Yezak was completely a win for me. I enjoyed her voice, though I did find the words a bit stilted, almost formal sounding. I feel just a tad like Elena Morino’s voice bled over into some of the other characters. Toss that aside for a moment with me. Yezak was able to blen
Nora St Laurent
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Southern Season
Four seasons. Four stories.

First Novella: Ice Melts in Spring
By Linda W. Yezak

Kerry Graham is sent to the Terrapin House by her boss. It’s located in the Gulf of Mexico; a place that doesn’t hold good memories. It’s the place her husband drowned. Mrs. Marino has asked for her specifically to do the cataloging of items she’s donating to the Museum Ke
MJSH
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Out of the four authors who contributed to this collection, I have only read Eva Marie Everson previously so this book was a good introduction to several new-to-me authors. The writing styles of the four authors are unique, which make for very different stories only loosely tied together by the theme of changing seasons in the South.

The first story, Ice Melts in Spring, by Linda Yezak is a contemporary novella that deals with pain and grief of loss and finding faith and purpose again after emoti
Julie Barrett
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Southern Season: four stories from a front porch swing by Ane Mulligan
Collecton of four stories from a front porch swing.

Ice Melts in Spring by Linda W. Yezak
Kerrie has arrived at the seashore, after the hurricane's damage and her job is to catalog the writer's treasures and label some for a museum.
Very descriptive details I can picture it in my mind. Kerrie has her dog with her. She's an acquisition curator. While out with her dog she runs into a man along the beach, Quinn.
Like how other loc
Anthea Kotlan
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Southern Season"

"Ice Melts in Spring"
Linda Yezak
This is a Texas Gulf Coast story of hope and the redeeming power of forgiveness. Yezak weaves together mystery and romance with a reclusive writer, a handsome pastor, and a researcher. The researcher is hired by the reclusive writer to bring order to a vast collection of valuable artifacts. As the items are brought to order these two women discover they have much more in common than either could have imagined.

"Lillie Beth in Summer"
Eva Marie Ev
~❤️Minnie❤️~
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Originally posted on Under the Moonlight Book Blog

This is an anthology about people that lost their faith in God and their hartening path to finding Him again.

I have to be honest and say that it was an okay read for me. The characters of this stories all lost their faith in God after they lost a loved one. I know there are people out there that go thru this and that many find their way back into God's grace, others don't and to many others, it just brings them closer to the Lord.

And I did enj
Neisa
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent this book to read in return for a review, and I am so glad to have read this wonderful little book. These short novellas are always my favorite and easier for my short attention span. I love how each author brings in their own stories and unique style, yet somehow they tied them together nicely.

I had debated giving this book only three stars. It is harder to rate these types, when there is more than one story involved. Some stand out while others don't work as well. For me 'Lillie Be
Linda
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A Southern Season: Four Stories from a Front Porch Swing

If you were raised in a Christian home in the South, this book will stir up childhood memories of time spent with family and friends. Made up of four novellas, each set in a different season of the year, the authors use Southern traditions to create stories of love and faith.

Linda W. Yezak's Ice Melts in Spring tells the story of a woman whose job brings her back to the small Texas coastal town where her husband drowned. Can a Southern pre
Melissa
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Southern Season is a collection of short stories. Each story is a stand alone so one can take their time and enjoy the stories. Here is summary of each story:
Ice Melts in Spring by Linda W. Yezak This tells the story of Kerry. She returns to Gulf of Mexico which swallowed her husband years ago. This story is one of finding oneself. It is inspirational and full of forgiveness. I loved Kerry, Quinn, and Mrs. Marino in this story.
Lillie Beth in Summer by Eva Marie Everson: I absolutely fell in lo
Robbie
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Southern Season: Four Stories from a Front Porch Swing features novellas by Eva Marie Everson, Linda Yezak, Ane Mulligan and Claire Fullerton. The anthology focuses on those who have lost their faith in God and are trying to find their way back, or alternately, fighting against finding their way back. Each story focuses on a single Southern season, with the story corresponding to the season.

I enjoyed the stories. They were well-written and steeped in sound Biblical theology. Each character fac
Julissa
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was such and inspirational read. It filled me with so much hope by the time I was finished reading. It's a collection of four stories written by four different authors. All of the writing styles flowed good together. Each story was filled with love, loss, but above all faith. They were even set in different time periods which I enjoyed.
I felt for the loss that the characters had faced, and I was elated with joy when they overcame their struggles. One of my favorites was Ice Melts in
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the time I was a child, sitting on a porch swing while enjoying a good read, has been one of the best parts of the summer months for me. A Southern Season: Stories from a Front Porch Swing, is a perfect compilation of four stories set in the south, during four seasons.

Warm-hearted romance, southern manners and southern wisdom abound like Southern Sweet Tea on a hot day. Each story features a main character who is searching for some kind of meaning in their lives, not realizing the simplici
Meagan
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I so enjoyed this set of four novellas. Take me back to the South! I'm ready!

Each novella had a different tone and focus to it, which I enjoyed. I go back and forth as to whether authors should have common characters show up in each of the stories, or not ... this one worked in that there were no crossovers. They each stood alone, and that was just fine.

It was also kind of neat to explore different relationships in each -- they weren't just all before-the-wedding romance. One was about a married
Gracie
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Southern Seasons Series is a wonderful collection of stories, highlighting the strength, character, and faith of Southern women.

The reader travels from the Vietnam War Era, to the modern age, while watching each character learning and growing from their own personal hardships and heartaches.

I thought the writing was well done. The characters developed fairly well, especially for the short length of the novellas. I liked the growth of the characters’ faith, particularly in the Eva Marie Evers
Hallie Szott
With four stories from four authors, A Southern Season is a sweet read of love and loss, faith and second chances through the seasons of life. The characters, settings, and scenarios all ooze southern charm, and I loved getting lost in each of the storylines. All delightful and entertaining to read, these stories are sure to charm any reader of contemporary southern fiction—I recommend the whole novella collection.

Thanks to JustRead Tours, I received a complimentary copy of A Southern Season and
Kendra Neal
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have dreams of sitting on a Front Porch telling stories to my kids, family and friends. I don't have that type of Front Porch yet, but I look forward to that day soon. Time on the Front Porch with Family and Friends is memory making and very cherished memories, something I did as a kid in my neighborhood growing up.

A Southern Season, Stories from the Front Porch swing is a book that totally reminds me of my Childhood times on a porch. The 4 stories included in the book are short stories, but a
Patti Whitson Stephenson
This is such an enjoyable collection of Southern stories by terrific authors. The Southern “voice” of each story is different, but that only adds to the charm of this collection. Every story has a unique storyline that held my interest. Even though these are shorter stories, the progression worked well and I never felt as if the ending was rushed. I loved all the characters in the book and felt they represented the Southern fiction genre very well.

If you love Southern fiction, don’t miss this co
Anne Campbell
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an enjoyable group of stories! I have to give them five thumbs up.

I couldn't list them all on the subject line, but each of the authors--Linda Yezak (Ice Melts in Spring), Eva Marie Everson (Lillie Beth in Summer), Claire Fullerton, (Through an Autumn Window), and Ane Mulligan (A Magnolia Blooms in Winter) have produced a short but sweet Southern story that left me longing for the characters to come back.

I'm so sure you'll love them all that I'm giving you links to the buy sites. Click Amaz
Pegg
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yikes! I can't believe I didn't review this when I read it. Well ... slap me with a wooden spoon! Better late than never. :)

I'm a huge fan of Linda Yezak's writing. Her humor, her characters, and her lively way of putting words on the page, so I'm going to concentrate on her story in this collection, "Ice Melts in Spring." This one is different than Linda's other stories, a bit more serious, a bit deeper in some aspects, but still the same lively writing that brings the reader right into the sto
Amber Elkins
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Southern Season is composed of four short stories, (one for each season), that is full of heart and (obviously) southern charm. To be completely honest, when I first started reading, I wasn’t sure I was gonna be able to get into it, but I was quickly swept into the stories of each character. Towards the end of “Ice Melts In Spring”, I was genuinely touched and it was just what my heart needed spiritually. And between the thick accents of Lillie Beth & Miss Elma, and the mentioning of break ...more
Eva Marie Everson is a best-selling, multiple award-winning author of both fiction and nonfiction. She is the president of Word Weavers International and the director of Florida Christian Writers Conference. She enjoys teaching and speaking at writers conferences across the US as well as coaching new writers via her company, Pen In Hand, Inc.