Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Lose a Friend” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Lose a Friend

The Berenstain Bears Lose a Friend (The Berenstain Bears)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews

Sister Bear loves taking care of her pet goldfish, Goldie. Sister feeds Goldie every morning and evening, cleans out her tank, and even gets her a beautiful fishbowl castle! But when Papa and Mama find Goldie floating belly-up in her tank, they worry about how Sister will feel. How will the Bear family cope with the loss of Goldie, the best goldfish in the world?

Published November 27th 2007 by HarperFestival (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Lose a Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Lose a Friend

Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
Sad face =( Good book, sad subject. I don't think I can do this actually. Too many memories......
Good book with our favorite bear family. Well drawn accompanying illustrations. =|
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
My problem with this is that this book is published in 2007, and the goldfish is in a bowl, not an aquarium. Nitpicky, I know, but still.
Lisa Dominick
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it
The Berenstain Bears Lose a Friend by Stan Jan, and Mike Berenstain is a picture book for readers 4 to 8 years old. In the book, Sister Bear’s pet fish, Goldie, died and instead of telling her this her father tried to get her another fish that looked similar to Goldie but Sister Bear was not fooled. Even though she was hurt, Sister Bear dealt with the grief over her loss and was able to become friends with her new fish but she never forgot Goldie. I liked the book and felt it was poignant,
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Samantha & Patty
Recommended to Alexandria by: Myself
Shelves: picture-books
Rosa Cline
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a very nice book to read to a child to help them understand about a death of a pet, could probably also be used after the death of a loved human as well... help them understand the concept of death, and you can't replace but it's okay to love again. Sister's pet goldfish dies and Papa wants to replace it with another while she's at school instead of telling her what happened. But she knows and she figures it out. And with the family's help they give her a funeral and Sister learns it's o ...more
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
"There are pets and there are pets" is how this one opens. HUH? Anyway, Sister strikes up a bond with her goldfish, Goldie, and shows her a lot of love. Unfortunately, Goldie winds up belly-up in her bowl, and Papa's solution is to go out and get her a new, nearly identical fish. Sister recognizes this one as an imposter, and then they hold a funeral for Goldie, which straight-up made me--a grown-ass lady--cry! "Here lies Goldie who was a good fish." Oh, the TEARS. I think this was the first new ...more
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very sad story but it's well written for children who have lost their pets. My parents had to put down our family dog due to cancer in the jaw. She had a wonderful 15 years and became friends with my two year old daughter. I didn't know how to explain it to her and yes I know she's young and won't fully understand but I felt it needed to be done for and for myself. I'm going to miss Buffy as much as my parents and as much as my daughter when she does understand. And this book really helped me ...more
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
After I had hummed "Amazing Grace" and deposited the library goldfish in the toilet, I found this book on the shelving cart. It has been sitting my "To read" pile for almost a week. It is a great way to discuss the death of pet. It also gives helpful hints on keeping your pet alive! You can't go wrong with the Berenstain Bears but also this is a good explanation of things!
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Modboy by: Park Slope Library
Shelves: picture-books
I do think this is a good story about loss and it's a pretty mature subject for children even though it's only a family pet that kicks it. That being said it's not really a story I'd want to read over and over as you usually would with good children's books.
Apr 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: bibliotherapy
Sister Bear's goldfish dies. There's a list of suggested activities at the end of the book, such as have a funeral, draw pics of the pets, get a new pet, etc.
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book for explaining the inevitability of loosing a pet. It also works for understanding the loss of human family and friends as well.
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Would be appropriate to share with a child who has lost a pet or who is dealing with loss and grief in some way.
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another book chosen by my daughter. This book talks about helping children deal with the loss of a pet.
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
We love all berenstain bear books!
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rachel Barr
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love the morals of the Berenstan Bears... Yes i am 44 (almost) and I am getting in touch my inner child.
Nov 25, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Berenstain Bears: Sick Days
  • Clifford Keeps Cool
  • Mogie: The Heart of the House
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Mama Cat Has Three Kittens
  • Little Polar Bear and the Brave Little Hare
  • Froggy Goes to the Doctor
  • Llama Llama Sand and Sun
  • Little Bird's Bad Word: A Picture Book
  • Super Duck
  • I Didn't Do It
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' Nursery Tales
  • The Berenstain Bears' Nature Guide
  • The Berenstain Bears' Science Fair (Berenstain Bears)
  • Papa's Pizza
  • The Berenstain Bears' Christmas Tree
  • The Berenstain Bears Storybook Treehouse
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Wild, Wild Honey
  • Berenstain Bears Go Fly a Kite
  • The Berenstain Bears' Soccer Star (mini book)
  • The Berenstain Bears and The Big Election