Start by marking “Bede aan de zee” as Want to Read:
Bede aan de zee

Bede aan de zee

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  42,259 ratings  ·  4,331 reviews
Op een maanverlicht strand houdt een vader zijn slapende zoon vast terwijl ze wachten op een boot. Hij vertelt de jongen over de lange zomers van zijn jeugd, hij herinnert zich zijn opa's huis in Syrië, het geritsel van de olijfbomen in de wind, het gemekker van de geit van zijn oma, het gerinkel van haar pannen. En hij herinnert zich de bruisende Oude Stad van Homs, de dr ...more
Published August 30th 2018 by De Bezige Bij

To ask other readers questions about Bede aan de zee, please sign up.
Lindsey Expensive, yes. Greed, no. Author proceeds are going to UNHCR (the UN Refugee Agency) and his own charitable foundation, The Khaled Hosseini Foundatio…moreExpensive, yes. Greed, no. Author proceeds are going to UNHCR (the UN Refugee Agency) and his own charitable foundation, The Khaled Hosseini Foundation to help refugees around the globe.(less)
Sarah Bates This book is a fundraiser that lets all of us contribute to helping make the lives of displaced people in the Middle East more comfortable...if only f…moreThis book is a fundraiser that lets all of us contribute to helping make the lives of displaced people in the Middle East more comfortable...if only for a moment. (less)

·  42,259 ratings  ·  4,331 reviews

Start your review of Bede aan de zee
Lala BooksandLala
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Truly one of the best books of 2018. Impactful and difficult, reading this with my 8 year old was a daunting yet necessary task.
Larry H
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Khaled Hosseini's Sea Prayer isn't a book—it's a poem. But it's more than a poem—it is, in essence, a letter written from father to son, a prayer lifted up on the eve of a journey away from their war-torn country, a journey which could prove tremendously dangerous.

In less than 50 pages, Hosseini's words and the beautiful illustrations break your heart. This was inspired by the story of Alan Kurdi, a three-year-old Syrian boy believed to have drowned during his family's attempts to flee their
Kelly Hager
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm really not sure how to describe this book. It's a letter from a father to his son, the night before they leave their war-torn country for a safer place. It's not great and the father is terrified because it involves a great deal of danger (especially for the portion of the trip that's by boat). You can feel his fear and at the same time his knowledge that there's no real good choice. Leaving is dangerous and there's a very real chance that one or all of them will die. But staying isn't a goo ...more
Cristina Monica
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
This is a very short book—a picture book, really—but because of the subject matter, it feels almost heavy in my hands right now. My eyes also understand that this is no bedtime story.

It isn’t the most original piece ever written, but do we really need ‘‘originality’’ when we’re talking about war, chaos and death, or do we need affective? Emotional. Realistic. Vivid. A piece that we understand and that gently awakens our ability to show compassion.

I am slightly ashamed to say that the only other
Linda
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wave after wave......

From calm seas of memories to the over-powering turbulence of the present, Khaled Hosseini presents a story drifting from father to son in the form of a tragic letter. From the shores of chaos come words that touch the lips and soften the heart in slow steady beats.

What was is no longer and what will be is only for fate to decide.

Hosseini's father figure grasps the small hand of his son and tries to paint within him a canvas of what life was like in his grandfather's house
Elizabeth Sagan
EDIT 3, 3 stars. So I've been thinking about this for a few months now. A few months ago I read Julián Is a Mermaid by Jessica Love and I loved it. I thought if I liked that one, why couldn't I like this one, since they are similar - picture books, targeted mostly at children, but adults can enjoy them too. On one hand it was the fact that I had high expectations from Sea Prayer, based on Khaled Hosseini's previous books, whereas in the case of Julian Is a Mermaid I didn't have any, I went in co ...more
Dana Ilie
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm speechless and crying. With a few words and some illustrations this guy told the world all that is to tell
ij
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sea Prayer is a beautifully illustrated short story (very short), where a father reminisces with his sleeping son in his arms. They are refugees waiting for the next stage of their journey. The father recalls how he and his brothers enjoyed their summers at their grandfather’s farm, knowing that his son won’t be able to share this same experience. They are fleeing from Syria, but, it could be any one of several countries.

There are many reasons that people seek refuge in countries other than thei
Diane S ☔
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
I read this short offering by Hosseini, an author I very much admire, in a matter of minutes. In the title is the word prayer, and it is a prayer to a child, a people, young people who will never know the country of their birth, Syria, without bombs, towns in ruins and starvation. Not the vibrant place it had been. A prayer to all people for compassion, understanding, for a little hope for the refugees fleeing for their life. The illustrations are beautifully wrought, from color to black and whi ...more
Mutasim Billah (semi-hiatus)
Sea Prayer is like that rare songbird singing on a winter morning, only to fly away in a moment. Inspired by the haunting image of young Alan Kurdi, the three-year-old Syrian boy whose body washed up on the beach in Turkey in September 2015, it is a touching tribute to the families of the refugees who've lost everything but their memories of wartime.

Alan Kurdi, another life lost at sea.

Its only flaw, though, is its incredibly short length. Written in the form of a touchin
Maria Espadinha
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let’s Help Them

In the year 2015, Alan Kurdi, a three years old Syrian refugee was drowned in the Mediterranean Sea whilst trying to reach safety in Europe.
The following year, 4176 others died or went missing attempting that very same journey.

The moment Hosseini knew about it, he sent an SOS to World — he wrote a bunch of simple heartfelt words, turned into pictures by the hand of Dan Williams, and that was it!

Now it’s up to us:
The moment we buy a copy of this book, we are helping those syrian re
Cheri
”This book is dedicated
to the thousands of refugees
who have perished at sea
fleeing war and persecution.”

Khaled Hosseini, author of ’The Kite Runner,’ A Thousand Splendid Suns, and And the Mountains Echoed has combined his writing skills with the artistic skills of Dan Williams, illustrator, for this epistolary poem, from father to son upon the journey which they are about to embark.

As this is a letter from a father to son to young to have his own memories, the content is meant for, and appropria
Sheri
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story, 2018
Even amongst the bombs, starvation, and burials, hope never dies. Witness here a father’s prayer that his son shall know safety, security, and home as a place of happiness. A short read that is poignant and powerful.
Whitney Atkinson
This book is short but haunting and powerful. I've loved Khaled Hosseini for his other books and his brilliant, meaningful writing definitely shines through in this one even though it's so brief. I can't wait to get my own copy.
Seemita
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Seemita by: Bloomsbury Publishing
Shelves: syria, family, asia, toi, war, graphic
[Originally appeared here: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/l...]

For long now, Khaled Hosseini has cemented his position as an author who imparts a subtle yet searing voice to the victims of war, riots and displacement, especially in the Islamic countries. We have clutched our hearts and have sobbed silent tears at his Hassan’s redemption and Mariam’s journey. And Sea Prayer, at its core, harbors a similar cry for life.

A father with his young son, Marwan pressed to his chest, is awaiting a sh
Emily May
A moving little story - a letter, really - from a father to his son, as he prays he will survive his sea voyage as a refugee in search of a better life. I just wish there had been a little more substance to it. It's so short that I read it in less than five minutes.
Victoria
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only a talent like Hosseini could conjure such poignancy and pain in a few scant pages. Beautiful in the telling, magnificent in its illustrated execution; a reminder that there are so many who will risk everything for refuge. Thank you, Mr. Hosseini.
Cindy Pham
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and poignant with beautiful illustrations. I wish it was longer.
Brandice
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, but impactful read, Sea Prayer is a letter from a father to his son, reflecting on their life up until this point, and the potential hazards as they travel across the sea. You can feel the father’s love for his son, and also sympathize with the dread he must feel as they prepare for the risks that lie ahead, in an effort to escape danger and turmoil, to seek a better life.

Sea Prayer was a very quick read but one I really enjoyed. The illustrations were great as well, with the colors ch
PattyMacDotComma
“The skies spitting bombs.
Starvation.
Burials.
These are the things you know.”

You do realise, that if these are things you don't know first-hand, you're just lucky, don't you? I sure do!

This is a most moving tribute to the countless, unlucky people displaced by war – which is a polite way of saying to those whose homes and towns have been bombed to smithereens so they have nowhere safe to live.

"I have heard it said we are the uninvited./ We are the unwelcome./ We should take our misfortune else
Tukunjil Nayeera
This short yet very powerful book left me with a broken heart.

In September 2015 a photograph made global headlines which was taken by Nilüfer Demir, a Turkish photojournalist, and photographer based in Bodrum, Turkey. The photograph was of a young boy on a beach, fully clothed but lying face-down at the water's edge, like an exhausted toddler who had awkwardly fallen asleep. The young boy named Alan Kurdi, three-year-old Syrian refugee became a symbol of the plight of so many others fleeing conf
Michelle
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Sea Prayer” is heartbreaking but I will gladly read it over and over. Dan Williams’ illustrations really convey the message of the poem, and Khaled Hosseini’s words are beautiful, sentimental and tender. It was disconcerting to learn that the hope and the yearning conveyed herein were inspired by such a tragic event. I hope that because of this book, many more positive outcomes will occur in the future.

Zoe
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impactful, evocative, and profoundly moving!

Sea Prayer is an intense, beautifully depicted story that highlights the plight of thousands around the world who are forced to leave their homes and embark on a perilous journey to find safety and freedom for themselves and their families.

The prose is lyrical and fluid. The narration is unique and powerful and told entirely through a heartfelt letter written by a father to his young son. And the illustrations are a perfect complement to the compelling
Erica
Left heartbroken after seeing the photo of toddler Alan Kurdi's body lying face-down on a Turkish beach, Hosseini sought to express his feelings, as a father, regarding families of refugees enduring physical and emotional loss to reach a potential safe harbor. Sea Prayer is Hosseini's tribute to refugees who have lost their lives and to those who have continued their journey after losing everything else. This short essay, written in the form of a fictitious letter from a refugee father to his sl ...more
Farah Shamma
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Because all I can think tonight is how deep the sea, and how vast, how indifferent. How powerless I am to protect you from it.”
David Schaafsma

"But that life, that time, seems like a dream now.”

Hosseini, an international literary sensation with over 55 million books sold, uses this book to mark the one year anniversary of the death of the 3-year Syrian boy whose body washed up on the shores of Turkey, and to also dedicate it to “the thousands of refugees who have perished at sea fleeing war and persecution."

A short, all-ages picture book, it is the story of a father and his son who, facing “the sky spitting bombs,” become refugees, rea
Stephanie Anze
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
"I have heard it said we are the uninvited.
We are the unwelcome.
We should take our misfortunes elsewhere."

'Sea Prayer' is a letter a father writes to his son. They are fleeing their home country because life there is not safe anymore. They are seeking asylum and risk everything by boarding a boat that may lead them to a better life. At least, that is what they hope. He can offer no gurantees. He can only pray.

Khaled Hosseini first captured my heart with 'The Kite Runner' and since then I have
Rafa
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I would give it a million stars if I could!
It was many things in itself-a tiny fiction, a little poem, a letter from father to son, a reflection of a uncertain life ahead......
It was the most thought-provoking piece of work I read in a long time. Even though we cannot feel how cruel life is for some people, we can at least start by knowing what we don't know.
This book could be your start. Highly recommend it.
Supreeth
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2018
Okay, well spent three minutes.
Jon Nakapalau
Heartbreakingly beautiful - reminded me of the Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.
Refugee Crisis and discussing it with children 3 22 Nov 06, 2019 10:24AM
Hearts and Homes ...: More Thoughts On Sea Prayer 1 6 May 16, 2019 05:56PM
Hearts and Homes ...: May Book / Sea Prayer 3 6 May 10, 2019 07:57AM
Refugee Crisis 2 4 Feb 25, 2019 11:34AM
Play Book Tag: Sea Prayer - Khaled Hosseini - 5 stars 6 17 Dec 02, 2018 08:57AM
Book for October 2018-Sea Prayer 3 19 Nov 15, 2018 06:59PM
Play Book Tag: Sea Prayer by Khallid Hosseini - 5 stars 3 18 Nov 08, 2018 02:58PM

• The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
  • History of Beauty
  • Imagine: How Creativity Works
  • The Letters of Vincent van Gogh
  • Girl with a Pearl Earring
Hosseini was born in Kabul, Afghanistan, in 1965. In 1970 Hosseini and his family moved to Iran where his father worked for the Embassy of Afghanistan in Tehran. In 1973 Hosseini's family returned to Kabul, and Hosseini's youngest brother was born in July of that year.
In 1976, when Hosseini was 11 years old, Hosseini's father obtained a job in Paris, France, and moved the family there. They were u