Start by marking “Love And Glory” as Want to Read:
Love And Glory

Love And Glory

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  745 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
'A straightforward, unrelenting, shamelessly romantic novel that's about a two-year obsession...It works...[and] love stories that work are almost an extinct breed . Almost.' --Santa Cruz
Published September 1st 1984 by Dell (first published September 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Love And Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love And Glory

Michelle Mal
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book of all time.
Given to me by a high school boyfriend (who is actually now a professional writer himself.)
Robert B. Parker is more well-known for the Spenser detective novels, this love story is different from his usual stuff.
Jeremy Schubert
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adults
A great 'guys version' of a love story. By the man who bought us Spencer for Hire.
David Ward
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Love and Glory by Robert B. Parker (Eagle Large Print 1983) (Fiction). Yes, this romance novel was in fact written by Robert B. Parker of "Spenser" fame. This is not at all in the Spenser line of novels. This is a stand-alone story and is very much reminiscent of his later tale All Our Yesterdays. I love Parker's style, but not this book. This is a sad, sad tale - not so much the story as the moral.
Here's the book in a nutshell (SPOILERS AHEAD): boy meets girl, they fall in love, he goes off to
Sonia Reppe
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5stars, boston, favorites
This guy--they call him Boonie--falls totally in love with this girl in college in Boston, but when he goes to the Korean war, he loses her. He drifts across the country from job to job, getting drunk, and hits rock bottom in L.A. Two things turn him around: the thought of her, and a quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald. Boonie gets his life back together and heads back to Boston.

I found this while weeding the fiction collection; I read the description and of course grabbed it: 1950s, boy-meets-girl,
Bill
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the tender-hearted
From the opening paragraph - one of the most expressively written first paragraphs in one of the most haunting love stories in modern literature - to the satisfying ending, Robert B. Parker's one diversion from his usual detective theme embodies all that I admire and relate to in a love story. It is spare in its prose, clear in its acknowledgment of profound differences between the two principle characters, and accurate in describing the terrifying process of self-discovery and honesty that shar ...more
Linda
Aug 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
A love story, written from the guy's perspective, which is a nice change. An easy read, simply but intelligently written, and rather lovely. Recommend it. Apparently the author writes a series of detective novels. Might hunt them out after reading this.
Rose Blum
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a pleasure to read a Robert B. Parker book that I hadn't read before... I miss him so very much ~ Rest in Peace & Thank You for all the books you left for us.
lynn
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not your usual Robert Parker. Much more intense and hardly superficial. What it's like to be so obsessed with the one you love that it impacts your entire existence.
Matthew
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
This was one of my rereads for research. I have mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, Love and Glory contains some of Parker's most beautiful writing. There are passages of absolutely beautiful prose. On the other, Jennifer is not a fully realized character. She exists as a kind of projection for the reader through the eyes of Boone Adams. The book is a stark portrait of how a love can define a lifetime. It may also be read as a cautionary tale about growing up, and the need to learn t ...more
Bill Reed
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not your usual RBP book as we know today. A great well written one about his younger years.
Bruce Snell
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Robert B. Parker and his wife have given us their version of a romance in this stand alone novel - 3.5 stars. I like Parker's writing style - his economy of words makes the story move right along, his characters are well enough drawn that I always feel some connection with them, and when he includes any sort of action, it is real enough to fell like I am there. On the other hand, the romance in this story was more of a creepy obsession than true love - of course I have had that problem with ever ...more
Jenn
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Rick
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
An interesting Parker novel in that it follows one of his main themes - monogamous love (bordering on obsession) but is a stand alone novel outside any of his series.
All his novels touch on this theme (Spenser and his long term relationship with Susan Silverman, Jesse Stone's obsession with his unfaithful wife, Virgil Cole's obsession with the flawed Allie Cole)but in this novel it is the core of the plot. When used in his various series this slightly obsessive approach to love can be endearing
Nolan
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
this is one of the most intense Parker books you'll read anywhere. It is less about true love and more about a creepy stocker obsession. essentially, this is a two-decades-long saga about a young man who loses the love of his life as a result of his decision to join the military and fight in Korea. he writes to her faithfully while he is gone, and she falls in love with someone else. His letters are ultimately returned on opened, but he continues to write. It is his attempt at keeping a journal, ...more
Cathy DuPont
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Lovely, lovely story about love. The book just took my breath way.

Sometimes I feel my mind wandering when reading but not this book. Every sentence says something important about the story. The reviews on the book's cover uses the word 'sparse' and I agree. Very clean, clear and written in a way that annoyed me when I had to put it down. I didn't want to interrupt my reading it from beginning to end.

Been reading the Spenser series from the beginning, The Godwulf Manuscript, and this was written
Brett Wallach
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Instead of Spenser's unvarnished machismo, here we get an autobiographical Parker who is vulnerable, sweet, and a nerd to boot. And we get the best prose that he ever wrote, because I am sure that this is the book to which he felt closest. It gets docked a star due to its utter insularity, and because it has too much of a self-help feel to it, not to mention an overly fawning love conquest as things wind down.
Joe
Feb 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I've always enjoyed the social commentary in Parker's books and this story was basically a vehicle for him to voice more of his view of the world with an honesty of tacit resistance to social injustice and acceptance of another's decisions as not right or wrong only different from a decision that he would make. The story wasn't as compelling as the philosophical aspects, but Parker's philosophy is what I enjoy.
Victoria
Dec 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is not a Spenser novel. I have read several non-Spenser novels by Robert B. Parker. I enjoyed them all. This one, not so much. I was disgusted by the main character. I almost quit reading it before I was finished because I was so sick of his juvenile, self indulgent, did I say juvenile behavior. I don't consider this story worthy of your time.
Michelle Connolly
I thought the storyline was good but very poorly written. It lacked depth and emotion and got really boring throughout the middle. I gave it 2 stars because it somehow managed to keep me interested, though im not sure why. Maybe I was hoping it would improve. I was surprised to see the high rating for this book, but im sorry to say I wouldnt recommend it at all.
Jmlc
Nov 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, fluffy-fiction
This is written by Robert B Parker who also writes the Sepenser novels. It's a stand-alone book, not part of a series but it seemed to me to be the story of Spenser and Susan, had they met in college. A quick read.
LInda L
Not my favorite Robert B. Parker book -- good enough that I wanted to finish it, but just barely. Not on a par with the Spenser series, or the Jesse Stone series, or the Sunny Randall series. Still, I'm glad I read it -- he writes so beautifully. Just fair story..........
Ed
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
Novel - Boone Adams falls in love in college. While in the service, he gets a Dear John letter and begins a ten year spiral to hitting bottom. The memory of his love starts him on a self-rehabilitation program to regain himself and his lover.
Diogenes
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who would have thought that the author of the Spenser books could write such a plaintively beautiful romantic elegy. Poetic in its prose, succinct in its descriptions and lyrical in its pace; it doesn't get much better than this!
Mailmanr5
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow. I didn't know that Parker wrote a love story. I also didn't know that I'd be reading chick-lit. But I'm glad I did. Enjoyed it immensely. Made me respect Parker as a writer even more. He's not just crime novels.
Kit
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recentlyread
Mostly great, with a few mawkish chapters near the end. Most of the novel seems like it ought to be tired cliche but instead comes off like another Cain novel of desperate people - wish it ended as grippingly.
Diane
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Three stars because I LOVE ROBERT B., despite enduring some pretty awful books. I don't think this one would stand on it's own merits unless you do just love him. For me it was a nice way to put a couple of decades of pleasure to rest.
Robynn
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Tried it, but didn't care for it. 2nd star because the language pulled me in at first, then.....
Marianne
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Kind of a quirky book. I wondered how much it was autobiographical.
Thomas Roth
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A marvelous, enchanting story about unrequited love and self discovery. There is an unmistakeable sense of Parkers writing style in this that makes it most enjoyable.
Ruth Eaton
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Slow moving--not as engaging as other Parker books.
  • Passport To Peril
  • Poodle Springs (Philip Marlowe, #8)
  • Grand Cayman Slam
  • Quarry's Cut (Quarry, #4)
  • Black Widow (Doc Ford, #15)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bridge (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #7)
  • Silent Partner: The Graphic Novel
  • The Cheerleader (The Snowy Series, #1)
  • Bitter Recoil (Bill Gastner Mystery, #2)
  • Robert B. Parker's Cheap Shot (Spenser, #42)
  • Secret Vengeance (Young Repairman Jack, #3)
  • Someday the Rabbi Will Leave
  • In Pursuit of Spenser: Mystery Writers on Robert B. Parker and the Creation of an American Hero
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
    $9.24 $1.99
  • The Golden Notebook
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Ten Thousand Saints
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
  • The Secret Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99