Start by marking “The Furies” as Want to Read:
The Furies

The Furies

In 1998, a sixteen-year-old girl is found dead on school property, dressed in white and posed on a swing, with no known cause of death. The novel opens with this image, as related to us by the narrator, Violet, looking back on the night it happened from the present day, before returning to relate the series of events leading up to the girl’s murder.

After an accident involv
Published May 2nd 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Furies, please sign up.
Kate Lakie It is about the Furies - the main characters are encouraged to become like them and take vengeance on the men who have wronged them. But it is left…moreIt is about the Furies - the main characters are encouraged to become like them and take vengeance on the men who have wronged them. But it is left for the reader to decide whether the girls achieve this through witchcraft or through murder... (less)
Leigh Kennedy It's a thriller but with elements of magic and the occult

karen
Congratulations karen!
You are a Giveaways Winner!

my very first GR win of 2019!! i am so excited!! thank you, gods of the GR giveaways!

Dannii Elle
The Secret History meets Girls on Fire meets The Graces.

"It seems that women are doomed to two fates. It is our lot to either be seen as unpredictable and irrational mortals, maligned and repressed by the actions of men; or sacred beings, goddesses of higher realm, among the Fates and Furies."

The Furies is yet another YA novel that focuses on the potential toxicity of female friendships. Quite honestly, those are all my buzzwords and I will devour anything on the topic, no matter how many seemi
Blair
(4.5) In a run-down seaside town somewhere in England lives Violet, an unhappy and isolated 16-year-old. She is the only survivor of a car crash that killed her father and little sister; in the aftermath, her mother withdraws into a numb state of grief, barely able to function. Violet's only desire is to escape. But a huge insurance settlement opens a different kind of door: Violet is to study for her A Levels at a private girls' school, Elm Hollow Academy.

There, she meets the girls who will be
Emma
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
As an exploration of girls gone bad, this does a decent job, but it feels like an echo. It's been done before and better. Definitely more The Craft than The Secret History, the book struggled to hit the depth of character or theme necessary for it to be truly absorbing. The characters were light: Violet's voice held little attraction, overwhelmed by the darker threads of her new best friend, Robin, and the others are straight out of every teen drama you've ever seen/read. The problem is that it' ...more
Susan
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are lots of novel with similar themes to this. An elite school, strange cliques of girls, and, as we know from the beginning, a death. It has been done before, but I have a weakness for novels about schools, female friendships and so those words do pull me in, however hard I try to resist.

It feels to Violet as though her life is put on hold after the death of her father, and sister, in an accident. Her mother seems unable to move beyond her grief and, taking advantage of her disinterest, s
Liz Barnsley
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this. Without doubt the best book I’ve read featuring toxic female friendship since “Girls on Fire” – The Furies is haunting, evocative and sits in your head, that underlying sense of menace and anticipation resonates throughout.
Violet desperately wants friendship, even as she tells herself she doesn’t need it, so when she is befriended by the enigmatic and edgy Robin and drawn into a circle of secrets and lies, she will do anything to protect it. Darkness and obsession, fatal ties and d
Dennis
Typical YA novel, with a paranormal witchcraft undertones, The Furies will entertain those who enjoy Pretty Little Liars and Charmed. Katie Lowe's debut novel will have a strong following, but I didn't enjoy the story as much as I wanted to.

The Furies centers around Violet, a teenage girl sent to prestigious Elm Hollow Academy, and her interactions with her classmates. She immediately befriends a group of girls and her art teacher Annabel. As Violet's involvement with this new group of wome
Louise Wilson
In 1998 a sixteen year old girl is found dead on school property, dressed in white and posed on a swing, with no known cause of death. Violet, looking back on the night it happened from the present day, before returning to relate the series of events leading up to the girls murder. After a accident involving her dad and sister, Violet joins Elm Hollow Academy, a private girls school in a quiet coastal town, which has an unpleasant history as the site of famous 17th century witch trials. Violet b ...more
Elaine Mullane
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY, Katie Lowe!!

REVIEW

I am teetering somewhere between 4 and 4.5 stars with this one, for reasons I will explain, but I feel as bewitched (fitting) by this book now as I did by its premise when I first came across it.

Everything about teenager Violet's world is tinged with grey. She lives in a run-down seaside town somewhere in England. Her father and younger sister were recently killed in a car crash, from which Violet emerged as the only survivor. In the accident's aftermath,
Sheila
2 stars--it was OK. Warnings for sexual assault.

The good: This book is set in a girls' school, which I love, and includes a small secret society of students that study women in Classic literature. Awesome! It has a touch of the supernatural, and the overall theme--unstable, witchy teenage girls getting revenge on the (mostly) men who wronged them--is fascinating. Also, this is a quick read.

The bad: If you want to read about girls' toxic friendships, Megan Abbott does it better. If you're interes
Susan Hampson
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Violet at 16 is a vulnerable and isolated young girl. Her father and sister died tragically in an accident and her mother simply can't cope with her own grief never mind Violet's. No-one else had seemed to want to take responsibility either so Violet was told to take however much time she needed off school until she felt better. Now tell a 15-year-old girl that and you just don't see them for dust.
Twelve months later exams had been taken and Violet had returned to school for them. She had miracu
Ingstje
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I don’t hit it off with a novel right away – if I’m not feeling ‘it’ – it’ll be difficult to turn that feeling around and, unfortunately, that’s what happened when I started reading The Furies. The fact is that for some reason I didn’t take in some of the narrative in certain paragraphs and I had to go back and reread parts of the story. I believe the reason for this could be because of the lyrical and descriptive writing style and the plot didn’t really capture my attention after the – I mus ...more
Sheri
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Furies, the four of us, taking revenge. The things that we could do, the power we possessed...

Our narrator, a sixteen year old girl with the rather unlikely sounding name of Violet, is the survivor of an accident which killed her father and sister. Her mother, endlessly trapped in grief, has more or less checked out of normal life; Violet, funded by the accident compensation, begins attending a private girls’ school, Elm Hollow, which she soon learns has a dark history of witchcraft and deat
Jess at JessicaWrites.co.uk
This book was... something. Full review to come.
Mehsi
WTF did I just finish reading.. This was not just bland and boring and gave me an headache, but the girls were just so unlikeable. Especially Robin. Dear Lord, that girl has way too many issues and should be locked away. :|

Also warning: Rape scene. I would call it that given that Violet is clearly against it when it happens and she has a lot of trauma afterwards.

Review to come in September. :|
Nadya Ruskowa
Full review here: theantagonistdiaries.wordpress.com/20...

It is hard to admit, but this book didn’t work well for me.

It took me a while to get into the story. Even had to go back and reread pages. For me, it has a very weak start and struggles to gain speed to keep readers attention. I put a lot of efforts not to fall asleep.

This book was really anticipated. Not only because it has a beautiful cover. The blurb was so promising. If you’ve read some of my other reviews, you will probably know t
Nia Ireland
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an intense novel, is follows a troubled teenage girl through the darkest time of her life and plays on all the turbulent emotions we feel during that time in all of our lives.

I love books about angry women, angry YOUNG women are even more brutal and this book thoroughly explored that. It covers the intensity of best-friendships between teen girls, rivalries, schooling and relationships in general.

This book reminded me very much of the 90s classic film 'The Craft', in terms of both storyl
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thank you to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of THE FURIES by Katie Lowe in exchange for my honest review.***

A year after the death of her father and sister, Violet enrolls at an exclusive English girls’ school with a history dating back to witchcraft. Toxic friendships. Ancient rituals. Mythology. Magic. Supernatural? The power of suggestion?

THE FURIES has one of the best covers I’ve seen in recent memory. The cover alone should sell thousands of copies. That alone made me wa
Gabriela Pop
CW: death of a parent& sibling,drug use,heavy drinking,rape
This was such an odd little book and I think at least part of its charm comes from that. It was in an even more liminal state,not quite YA,yet not quite adult,an old mix of a youth story reframed through an adult mindset looking back. It was such an interesting in depth analysis of the life altering, overwhelming toxic relationships and bonds people can form with one another and the way they set you up for the future. There are many
Sharon
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
My friend Kate (Bibliophile Book Club) was kind enough to lend me her review copy of this one, knowing how much of a sucker I am for anything involving witchcraft or teen cults.

It didn't disappoint - opening with a rather gruesome death, we follow Violet and her group of frenemies as they become obsessed with magic and believing magic is real (I mean - who didn't have a witch phase). Comparisons to The Craft are unavoidable, there are similarities, but the book reads like a fond hat tip to the
Karen Barber
With its references to mythology and classic literature, its private school setting, exclusive ‘study group’ and murders it’s not hard to see why I was getting a sense of The Secret History as I read this. Unlike that book, I never got the feeling that our narrator - Violet - was trying to establish herself as better than the group she joins. If anything, her naïveté and somewhat gauche decision-making is understandable and stops us totally disliking her.
Opening with what becomes a key closing i
Abmost
May 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, arc
Unfortunately I really struggled with this and I've finally decided to call quits at 50%.

I struggled to connect with the characters; Violet didn't seem interesting, Robin felt like a caricature and didn't appear to have much reasons for the way she was, and Grace and Alex were interchangeable.

What I wanted/expected:
A strong coming of age story featuring complicated teenage girls and their relationships and their descend into occult powers they can't control or understand.

What I appeared to ge
Theresa
Right up until the last 20% of this book I was thinking this was a 5 star read. Then those last few pages happened and I lowered my opinion. The last pages were not terribly written it's just that nothing really happened. It's frustrating to invest yourself in a book and then it just ends. No resolution... Nothing. Ugh. I hate when that happens. So I'm lowering this to 4.5 stars with 4 recorded for Goodreads rating limitations.

This book is being marketed as a Young Adult selection. I left young
James Cross
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was blurbed as a successor to the Craft, and in parts this is true, but equally apt is a partial comparison to The Secret History. In reality though this book was very hard to quantify. The tale of a new girl to an existing group of three friends who meet in secret and are displaying an increasing interest in spells and rituals is almost a trope, but this mixes in a tragic home life for our main character Violet which provides some real pathos as she tries to navigate a private school ...more
Nicole
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a very weird book, that I wish I liked more than I ended up liking.

The first thing that struck me about this book was the writing. It's very descriptive and while that it is nice sometimes I wish I got to the point more at times.

Its also told in the past tense. Which I found weird at first, because it's a spoiler in itself, without knowing.

I did like the strong female friendships in this group but I just got a bit tired on the constant drama, drugs and parties. It's not something I enjo
Book Wormy
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Warning teenage girls can be cruel and dangerous

Full review here https://thereadersroom.org/2019/05/02...
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

The Furies is an atmospheric YA novel of teenage rebellion, witchcraft and pack mentality. It tells the tale of the four teenage girls at a private girls’ school, where another teenager has been found dead, and the premise sounded so interesting, so I picked it up despite not usually reading a lot of YA novels.

We don’t know who main character Violet, who has been thrust into the school life after her father and brother die in a car accident, can trust – if she
Tara Lewis
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

First, the cover is absolutely gorgeous! One if my favourite cover designs this year, hands down!

This book is definitely more The Craft and less The Secret History; the level of it is more teen witch summer read than high literature. I see where they were going in promoting it like that, but it sets the book up to fail, I think. If the characters had been more deeply developed, it may have reached that level. I
Anne
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The plot sounded promising as I love a good YA with witches, magic and friendship drama, but it just didn't live up to the promise. The Furies opens with the murder of a 16-year-old girl on the grounds of the private girl's school Elms Hollow - the cause of death unknown. This is told to the reader by the narrator Violet in a time long after the murder happened. Violet is one of the main characters in the book. And the murdered girl is her best friend Robin. Then the storyline jumps back to the ...more
Bridget
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic début!

I found “The Furies” to be a thoroughly enjoyable and first-class read. Katie Lowe told this story with great skill and I adored the throwback to the 1990s. The wicked comedic aspect added a touch of lightness to the grimness and noir.

Thanks to NetGalley, HarperCollins UK and the author, Katie Lowe for my complimentary copy of The Furies. My honest review is entirely voluntary.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Secrets of a Sun King
  • Proud
  • What Red Was
  • A Pinch of Magic
  • Little Eve
  • A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • Red Snow (Tuva Moodyson Mystery, #2)
  • No Tomorrow (Killing Eve, #2)
  • De värnlösa (Häxmästaren, #7)
  • The Woolly Hat Knitting Club
  • Mr Peacock's Possessions
  • Greyfriars House
  • The Heavens
  • Rotten Row
  • Encounters
  • Shuri (2018-) #1
  • Shadow Man
Katie is a writer living in Worcester, UK.

A graduate of the University of Birmingham, Katie has a BA(Hons) in English and an MPhil in Literature & Modernity, and is returning to Birmingham in 2019 to commence her PhD in female rage in literary modernism and contemporary women's writing.

The Furies is her first novel.