Start by marking “A New U: Faster + Cheaper Alternatives to College” as Want to Read:
A New U: Faster + Cheaper Alternatives to College

A New U: Faster + Cheaper Alternatives to College

Every year, the cost of a four-year degree goes up, and the value goes down. But for many students, there's a better answer.

So many things are getting faster and cheaper. Movies stream into your living room, without ticket or concession-stand costs. The world's libraries are at your fingertips instantly, and for free.

So why is a college education the only thing that seems
Published September 11th 2018 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about A New U, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New U

Start your review of A New U: Faster + Cheaper Alternatives to College
Sarah Grace Grzy
This was an interesting read, and it's clear the author has done a hefty amount of research on the topic. The statistics he lays out are mind-boggling! It has definitely given me a new perspective on the subject. While I found Craig's writing style a little dry\not very engaging, I was still mostly interested in the book. Overall, this was an interesting read and helps you get some perspective on the whole "going-to-college" subject. And these statistics have given me some ammo for when people ...more
Christian Dibblee
I’d say Part I is the crown jewel here. Craig makes a good case for why the four year degree is no longer a good value proposition. His points are backed by data and in general are cogent. Part II unfortunately devotes tons of time to discussing various coding academies and things like that which are a bit boring to recite. Part III returns to form a bit by discussing steps forward.

I will say I think Craig makes many solid points and deserves to have them aired. That said, I’m not sure this book
Yunis Esa
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Think about your education. Think about your goal in life. Think about your career that get you to your goals in life. Ryan Craig is “Managing Director of University Ventures, an investment firm reimagining the future of higher education and creating new pathways from education to employment." So his goal of education is the alternative and as he hopes to attract a lot more students. The work is great for anyone thinking about starting their future of their education. I hope to give this book to ...more
C. Patrick G. Erker
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid book. Anyone interested in the future of higher education or jobs or work or skills will find it a valuable contribution to the debate over the evolution of school and work.

Makes me wish I hadn't shelled out so much money for school, although the options emerging now didn't exist back in my day.

I would follow his advice quite strictly if I were about to make a decision on college for myself or a loved one. Only pay for school if it's selective and will provide strong employment prospects.
Brandon Aldred
Parts of the book are informative, however it is heavily focused on computer related jobs/learning., following the idea of 'learn to code.' I'm sure you can read some cliff notes and save yourself the time on this book.
Amy
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edu-book
If you are in higher ed, and this doesn't galvanize you into action to avoid irrelevance, you shouldn't be in higher ed.
Jeff Berman
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Urgent higher education policy read. Underlined and annotated the daylights out of this. Highly recommend.
Kyle
Mar 16, 2019

• The Years That Matter Most: How College Makes or Breaks Us
  • Alienated America: Why Some Places Thrive While Others Collapse
  • The Battle for Okinawa
  • Kill the Gringo: The Life of Jack Vaughn-American diplomat, Director of the Peace Corps, US ambassador to Columbia and Panama, and conservationist
  • A Hidden Affair (Jordan Weiss, #2)
  • The War on Normal People: The Truth About America's Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future
  • The New Education: How to Revolutionize the University to Prepare Students for a World In Flux
  • Forgotten Americans: An Economic Agenda for a Divided Nation
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny — Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • FutureGood: How to use futurism to save the world