Start by marking “Slayer (Slayer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slayer (Slayer, #1)

Slayer

(Slayer #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  5,903 ratings  ·  1,640 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Kiersten White comes a brand-new series set in the world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer that introduces a new Slayer as she grapples with the responsibility of managing her incredible powers that she’s just beginning to understand.

Into every generation a Slayer is born…

Nina and her twin sister, Artemis, are far from normal. It’s hard to
Published January 8th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Slayer, please sign up.
Vanessia I am 30% of the way through the book with no knowledge of the comics and enjoying the book completely! The book does a great job of telling you thinks…moreI am 30% of the way through the book with no knowledge of the comics and enjoying the book completely! The book does a great job of telling you thinks that have happened that you need to know. (less)
Tiffany It's canon. And does a very good job of explaining where they are and what happened.…moreIt's canon. And does a very good job of explaining where they are and what happened. (less)

·  5,903 ratings  ·  1,640 reviews

Start your review of Slayer (Slayer, #1)
Emily May
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He's bobbing his head in time to music playing from headphones, and there's a book in his hands. I peer at it.
Nicholas Sparks. Doug really might be evil, then.

So, huh, here's the thing: I don't think I actually expected this to be good.

Yeah, yeah, I posted excited Buffy gifs, and I tweeted Kiersten White like the crazed fangirl I am. But this is Buffy you're messing with here. Buffy truly helped me survive at some of the darkest times of my life. I've watched it over and over and over again.
Chaima ✨ شيماء
You know when you’ve had a bad day but then you read a book for three uninterrupted hours and absorb the personalities and problems of fictional characters and suddenly you’re doing much better? YEAH SAME.

I loved this book but don’t ever talk to me about Buffy because I’ll either end up getting so over-excited I start knocking lamps over or I start sobbing hysterically!

So, what’s this book about?

Buffy Summers had torn the world in half when she destroyed the Seed of Wonder that fed all magic
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $1.99 Kindle US 6/2/19

This book was everything I hoped for and more!! I’m so excited for the rest of the series!!

The references to Buffy and Giles were so perfect and I love this new cast of characters! I’m so damn happy!! I hope all the Buffy fans enjoy this book!

Happy Reading!

Mel

MY BLOG

MY AMAZON
Sana
Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book. Fuck this book.

Fuck! This! Book!

You know what, I was ready to
Lola
Read The Mortal Instruments instead. If you’ve read The Mortal Instruments, try Vampire Academy. If you’ve tried Vampire Academy, dive into Lady Helen. If you’ve dived into Lady Helen, plunge into The Stars Never Rise. If you’ve plunged into The Stars Never Rise, open Monsters of Verity. If you’ve opened Monsters of Verity, give the Grisha Verse a chance. If you’ve given the Grisha Verse a chance, lose yourself in Daughter of Smoke and Bone. If you’ve lost yourself in Daughter of Smoke and Bone, ...more
Emer (A Little Haze)
Mar 28, 2017 marked it as rather-chew-my-eyeballs-than-read  ·  review of another edition
How is it that one of the books you're most hyped about to read in a given year suddenly becomes the book you never want to read????
I've read a bunch of reviews, both positive and negative.... Yeah the negative is winning out because of my love for the original Buffy. I just don't want to mess with those warm and fuzzy memories I have of that tv show and perhaps reading a subpar book would do that. I mean I've *almost* forgotten about the whole ridiculousness of Dawn's arrival... And Buffy with
Helena of Eretz ✰
So, this time, we’re at the Watcher's Academy...

description description

I really tried to be objective, but come on...it’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer!!! This was my childhood!!! Also, I’m really surprised by the lack of hype around this book, considering the amount of people on here, who grew up with Buffy, just as I did.

I’ve never read a Kiersten White novel until now (I know, what’s wrong with me???), but if this book is anything to go on, I’m certain that I’ll love the rest of her books, too!

I loved the premise
Samantha
Apr 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars. I guess?
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
THE REVIEW IS POSTED AND SPOILER-FREE

I'm so relieved right now that I can just sit down and review this book because I had been very busy with final examinations and assignment for the past few weeks. *phew*
okay, let's the review begins!

My Opinion Time!

I have watched some of the episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and while I am not really a fan of BtVS, I still like BtVS. It's really fun to watch and funny! even though I did not know much about Btvs, I was still excited to read this book.
Heather
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I had really high hope for this because I love Buffy so insanely much but sadly I did not love this book.
I felt like the plot and characters were sloppy. I did enjoy the humor of the book, it had the quick wit and satire the show had.
Overall disappointed with this sadly.
C.G. Drews
Despite having never seen a single episode of Buffy...I quite enjoyed this! And shshhh yes I know you're going to go yell for me to watch it, but do we all acknowledge how many books there are in the world and that I am trying to read them all? Fitting in tv shows is the Real Struggle. rip me I try.

Anyway, this gave me absolutely massive Supernatural x Shadowhunters vibes, so that sort of centred me in the story from the get-go. I've read plenty of the secret-magical organisations, out to fight
Sylvie
Slayer
by Kiersten White

4 out of 5 Stars!

description

Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been one of my favorite t.v. series growing up (I know, it's not the most appropriate show for little girls, but regardless everything I continued watching it till the end). #Whoops!
Because of my love towards the series and the movie, the minute I saw there will be a Buffy spin-off I was over the moon, even though I haven't read anything by the author at that time. Therefore this book has become one of my top anticipated books
Sophie (Blame Chocolate) *on hiatus*
Slayer by Kiersten White

Read the full review and more at Blame Chocolate.

A big thank you to Simon & Schuster for the review copy. This has not influenced my opinion in any way.

Slayer was a great read, I just wish I’d become truly engrossed in it from the very beginning and not just halfway through. I’m glad I pushed myself to give it a chance, otherwise I would have missed some epic content!

The diversity was amazing, the dynamics were fantastic, the characters (both heroes and villains) were incredibly fleshed
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
description

Thank you Edelweiss and Simon Pulse for sending a review copy in exchange for an honest review

Actual Rating: .5

“Being chosen is easy. Making choices will break your heart.”

When I found out this was going to be a think I squealed! I knew I had to add this to my TBR. And Simon and Schuster blessed me a few months ago with an ARC.

I took a bit long to finish this book but there is no denying that I was really enjoying it. It reminded me a bit of Vampire Academy. It was a bit slow and it took me a
Mel (Epic Reading)
Nostalgia can be a powerful emotion that makes it difficult to rationally and subjectively review a topic or book. So I forewarn you that as a teenager I was heavily influenced by Buffy the Vampire Slayer. By the time Buffy and Angel were done on television I was 21 and had heard the messages of Joss Whedon weekly through my formative years.

Timeline
I like the choice of time period in Slayer. We are told it happens 3 years after Season 8 ends. Therefore 2 years after L.A. is sent to Hell and
Jessica
Two problems with this. 1. I’m too old and 2. as a massive Buffy fan the constant Buffy-bashing really annoyed me. I get it, it was part of Nina’s character development to realize that Watchers maybe aren’t quite God’s gift to mankind and that Buffy is not the reckless and selfish idiot they all made her out to be BUT. It still pissed me off. Now about me being too old for this...I was just so exasperated with Nina and her little-girl mindset. She always went for the obvious woe-is-me teenage ...more
Suzanne
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
First off…the Doug reading Nicholas Sparks quote had me laughing!

Artemis seriously annoyed me with her petty jealousy of Nina being the chosen one for a lot of this book. It was understandable though because of her fear of losing Nina with the histories of slayers. I feel like though Nina did question herself a bit, it was everyone else (besides Leo) that was preventing and holding her back from being the slayer she was meant to be. However, the story is fun to read and I cannot wait to see
may ❀
i just siiiiiiiiiigggghhhhhh didn't care much for this book

i will mention that i never watched 'buffy the vampire slayer' as a kid, so i wasnt channeling any nostalgia soooo, maybe if you're a fan of the show things will turn out more positive??
here's to hoping

for me, there was something so irritating about the main character. right from the start, she keeps comparing herself to her sister and complaining about how different she is and whining about her mommy/daddy issues

and i really didn't
chan ☆
Jun 08, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
if there is not a spuffy- type forbidden love situation, i will sue
Yusra  ✨
Apr 30, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
a cover! a description!! everything i could ask for!!!!

——-

look at this queen writing so many books I LOVE IT AND I LOVE HER
no but seriously
I could read anything by her fsdjvshsv

Carrie
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Slayer by Kiersten White is the first book in the new young adult paranormal fantasy Slayer series. This series is a spin off and takes place in the same world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer after Buffy’s time when a new Slayer is chosen as she begins to come into her powers.

Nina and Artemis are twin sisters that have grown up in the Watcher’s Academy and couldn’t be more different from one another. Artemis has always been the strong and dominant twin training to become the best of the best of the
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Ok, if you're not a fan of Buffy then I don't think you'll like this. But I have loved Buffy since I was a wee teenager and this made me feel so nostalgic. It was campy and cheesy, but so is Buffy. It just made me feel good to read it. It was like canon fanfiction. Really looking forward to reading more in this series.

Booktube|Instagram|Twitter
alana ♡
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was predictable but my paranormal lovin' ass didn't care in the slightest. I had a blast with the world building, characters, and all the action in between.

Definitely looking forward to the next one!

Blog | Twitter
Noa ☾
my friend : so did you like this book ?
me, sitting in my BTVS shirt, putting down my kazoo after having played a beautiful rendition of the show's theme song :

Slayer takes place at the Watchers Academy (people in charge of supervising and guiding a Slayer).We follow Nina, who after untimely events discovers she is the last Slayer. All her life, Nina has been prepared to become a medic, someone who fixes other, not someone who breaks them. Discovering she is the last Slayer also creates a
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

Trigger warning: Mention of world ending, mention of fire, attempted murder, and seemingly neglectant parent. Up till the point I read.

DNF

I received this E-ARC via Simon and Schuster and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Two years ago I attempted to read And I Darken by this author. It didn't work for me. Though I really liked her writing style and kept on eye on her works. Slayer sounded mildly interesting. Although I am not a Buffy fan (never watched the show and don't
Chelsea
Okay, so here's the deal:

I way overhyped this book going into it and I was totally aware that I was doing it. I've been a diehard Buffy fan since I was about 10 years old, it's my OG fandom. So literally anything remotely having to do with this world is going to be overhyped in my mind. That being said I think this series has potential (heh...slayer puns), but this book was anticlimactic as an introduction to it.

Things I disliked:
-It was a tad info-dumpy at the beginning. There were a lot of
MeaganCM
Apr 30, 2018 marked it as dnf-try-again-later  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 35% maybe I'll try again later
_________________________
10/17/18 So this is supposed to be canon???? I have to catch up on the comic book continuation ASAP!
__________________________________________________
I like you Kiersten. I really do. But do not fuck this up. When you evoke the name of Buffy, I expect greatness.
Mari

Full review up now on episode 65 of Snark Squad Pod.

This is not Buffy-verse story I wanted and as a story in general, it was deeply not for me. The pacing was bad, it was repetitive as heck, the main character was the least observant and suspicious, the story telegraphed everything our main character wasn't noticing, a big portion of the plot falls apart if someone (pretty much anyone) would just decide to use their words and I don't think this book completely knew who it's audience was or what
TheYALibrarian
Rachel Reads Ravenously
DNF about 150 pages in

^^me when this book didn't live up to my expectations.

Buffy was my whole life from age 12 to................. well present. It's the show that defined me. I made lifelong friendships because of my love for this show. When I found out there was a YA novel set in the Buffyverse I was so excited! But honestly..... this book was BORING.

Hopes and dreams dashed. Most anticipated book of 2019 was a flop.

Follow me on Facebook Blog Instagram Twitter
Drop Everything A...: Slayer 1 18 Jan 01, 2020 03:04AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Slayer (Slayer #1) by Kiersten White - Restarting August 13th 2019 33 73 Aug 18, 2019 05:39PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #18 Slayer by Kiersten White 1 5 Mar 03, 2019 06:41PM

• The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Once & Future (Once & Future, #1)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1: High School Is Hell
  • Sherwood
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.

Slayer (2 books)
  • Chosen (Slayer, #2)
“Of all the awful things demons do, keeping Latin alive when it deserves to be a dead language might be the worst.
To say nothing of ancient Sumerian. And ancient Sumerian translated into Latin? Diabolic.”
5 likes
“In short, Artemis is the strong twin. The powerful twin. The chosen twin. And I am . . . The one who got left behind.” 2 likes