Start by marking “Never Expected You (Love Unexpected, #2)” as Want to Read:
Never Expected You (Love Unexpected, #2)

Never Expected You

(Love Unexpected #2)

When Zach Mason, former army sergeant turned veterinarian for war-wounded animals, returns home, the decision to stay is easy. But convincing the only other vet in town to hire him is a good deal harder. It doesn’t help that the beautiful, intelligent, and stubborn Stella Lane is determined to make his life hell.

Stella doesn’t take outside help easily—she’s been let down
Published September 24th 2018 by Entangled Publishing, LLC (Amara)

To ask other readers questions about Never Expected You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Expected You

Mindy Lou's Book Review
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc
3.5 Stars!

Never Expected You is based in a small town setting around Stella and Zach who grew up there, went away after school and both coming back home to settle down. Usually these small town settings are like the Hallmark channel where everyone is friendly and help each other out. While we did have that, I also like that the author threw a bit of reality into this one.

Zach was bullied as a kid and the effects it had on him as an adult coming home was part of his struggles in his character. H
melissafandomworld
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-releases
I'm such a sucker when it comes to romance books. This story is one of those sweet romances you never knew you needed until you read it and fall in love with it. I love animals being present in books, I love these ranch-settings and coming across well developed main and minor characters. Combined with some stellar writing, this makes for a perfect romance read with amazing depth added to the story and characters. This story is full of lost, struggles and sometimes sadness present, but there's al ...more
Bookgasms Book Blog
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shelly
I don't know what made me more excited to read this book: The adorable cover, the irresistible blurb, or the fact that I can always count on Jody Holford to deliver beautifully layered, heartfelt romances.

And, deliver she did - on every level.

As with most of this author's books, there is more than a simple love story going on here. Both Zach and Stella are working through their own baggage. They both bear these incredible weights and the story is just as much about their own healing as it is a
Marija
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a nice slow burn, small town romance that kept my attention (and lately I have reading blockage) and I finished it in almost one sitting. I loved how the characters were built realistic almost like everyday people that I meet in real life, with baggage and life struggles. The attraction between main characters is just from the start but it is interesting how both of them are trying to resist. They are both likable even with their flaws.
I am not used to write long reviews, so in overall
Bette Hansen
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that just hit every emotional button and left me happy and satisfied. I has wonderful strong characters in Stella and Zach and the slowly developing relationship between them just made my heart swell. This is a story of loss and heartache but also new beginnings, love, and hope. The writing is exceptional and pulled me into the story right from the start. This one needs to be on the must read list. I highly recommend it.
Bec_BookMagicReviews

Zach Mason wants in on the ever busy veterinary practice that Stella Lane runs. However, Stella wants nothing to do with him and Zach realizes winning her over will be harder than he thought. Yet, he's persistent and figures he'll be able to wear her down sooner or later. Will Zach be able to convince Stella to take a chance on him or will their shot at happy ever after never be?

I absolutely love Ms. Holford's writing and I've got to say that this second book of her Love Unexpected series was a
Ayekah
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story and I loved Zach! Zach returns home as a Veterinarian hoping to get into the practice where he sought refuge when things got rough during his childhood. Doc Lane's practice. Stella Lane now runs her late fathers practice, she's burning the candle at both ends and finances are bleak, more like non-existent. She takes casseroles from patient's owners rather than money. Her father left her in a financial mess. The story starts straight off with Zach wanting to be a partner with Stella. ...more
Melena Torretta
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, netgalley-arcs
I have always loved the books I've read by Jody Holford, and Never Expected You is another wonderful story.

Stella came back to her hometown of Brockton Point with plans to work with her father in his veterinary practice. It is something she has wanted to do since childhood. When he passes away unexpectedly, she is left to try to keep it afloat on her own.

Zach knew Stella's father and admired him greatly. He also grew up in Brockton Point and has come back hoping to become a partner in the veteri
Sionna
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own*

This book started out really good for me. I loved the set up and I have such a soft spot for animals. Reading about vets especially just after I adopted my own dog, was just what I wanted at the moment. I liked the setting.

I liked the characters and there are real problems behind them. The thing is, you could tell what the big conflicts were going to be from almost the beginning. We see it coming, the lea
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, sweet romance with great characters and a great story. Stella and Zach pulled me in right from the beginning. I didn't want to put the book down!
Ashley Brown
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure why i thought contemporary romances weren't for me, i keep on trying them lately and not one has disappointed me. Jody Holfords "Never Expected You" was a 4/5 in my books.
Thank you NetGalley first of all for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. The fall cover with the dogs drew me in right away, my two favorite things! Dogs and fall time! <3.
This is a second in a Series Love Unexpected. I have not read the first one in the series, and though i will most d
Alex (Briennai)
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Stella is holding a lot inside, never getting over her ex and still hurting from her father's recent passing. She definitely needs' help around the office, but she might not be willing to take it from Zach. Zach kinda just showed up in her life, and while her heart wants to trust him and let him in, her brain says otherwise. Which one will turn out to be right?

I, personally, didn't find this couple to have a lot of chemistry. Even when they finally started letting each other in, it sorta seemed
Didi
3.25 Stars

Meet vet Zach Mason and prepare to swoon over him in Jody Holford’s new story in “Love Unexpected” series. He was a former army and veterinarian (so, a double vet) who returned home to Brockton Point to stay and to join Stella Lane’s clinic. But more than a chance to go gaga over the hunky too good to be true vet, “Never Expected You” is a story of redemption and second chance. Both lead casts had to come to terms with their personal grief to move forward. It was an emotional, run-of-t
Bree
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Happy Release Day!
Make sure you add it to your Want to Read shelf!

When I first got Never Expected You by Jody Holford, I was a little skeptical. This was my first time reading a book that included so many animals. I wasn’t sure what that element would bring to the story. This was also my first book by Jody Holford so I did not have a clue what kind of writing to expect. What I ended up finding was a quite enjoyable read. I am so happy with how it turned out.

Never Expected You follows the st
Kelly
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2-blog
An engaging, funny and sweet, small town read

Book 2 in the Love Unexpected series, this is my first read by this author, and while I figured out when Stella's soon-to-be married best friend Megan showed up part way in that this book was probably part of series, I didn't feel I was missing anything by starting here. Note there are some minor spoilers for book 1 here.

As an animal lover and someone who loves stories about military/former military guys, I couldn't resist the blurb, and I'm glad I di
Penny
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Rating: 3+ Stars

When I read the blurb for Never Expected You I was stoked to give this new to me author a try. And although I really loved some things about it, overall it was just an alright read.

Stella is running her late father’s veterinarian clinic on her own. In a small town her dad was loved by all and great with the animals, but he wasn’t the best at finances and administration of the business side of things. She’s struggling to keep afloat and pay the debts, but with just so many hours i
Elizabeth Neal
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Zach knows he made the right decision not only becoming a veterinarian for animals wounded in war, but also in returning to his hometown to do it. He just has to convince the town's other vet to hire him to do so. Stella is beautiful and stubborn, and despite how attracted he is to her, Zach has his own reasons to be wary and refuses to do anything that could mess with his job opportunity.

Stella is wary to trust anyone, especially as those she should've been able to have let her down. She knows
Becky
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 10/2/18.

A sweet romance!

Having read the first book in the series, Let it Be Me , I was really looking forward to Stella's book. She's Megan's best friend, but seemed to hold herself a bit apart--even from her BFF-so I wasn't quite sure what to expect but was ready to get on board with her HEA.

Overall, Stella and Zach's story was sweetly satisfying, even if it was more than a little aggravating at times. Stella especially was very stubborn and tended to b
Heather
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has no on-page sex, but it has a lot of f-bombs. If copious use of the f-word bothers you, this is not the book for you because it is definitely overused in this one. Although this book is the second in a series, you do not have to have read the first to enjoy this one – it completely stands alone.

Stella and Zach's story was really great. I liked that both characters were a little bit broken but that they brought out the best in each other, even if they couldn't see that through their
Jessica
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has been sitting on my TBR in my Kindle for months. Literally months. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to read it. I wish I has read it sooner.

I loved this sweet romance!
Stella has inherited her father's veterinarian practice and his home only to learn he was way into debt. She doesn't want help until Zach somehow talks her into needing him. Evidently, Zach looked up to her father when he was younger before he left town to join the Army and also become a vet.

*Sigh*
Zach is drea
Sofia Lazaridou
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Never expected you is the second book in the Love Unexpected series and it's much better! I did not like Let it be me, but this one was more appealing and easier to read. Stella was a little pain in the arse because she was always fighting Zach about every single thing, but in the end, she admitted that she was mostly the wrong party and matured as a character which was good. She and Zach took their sweet time before getting together which was a little frustrating. But I guess, they needed time ...more
Paula
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Never Expected You by Jody Holford is a charming, beautiful romance that was a pleasure to read. It is a bit different from the usual returning home veteran which I found refreshing and original. Zach Mason is a wonderful character, a true hero and the kind of man any community would be proud to have. Stella Lane is a harder sell, but she certainly kept the story interesting.

Of course, I was pulling for Zach all the way but also for Stella since her happiness was ultimately at stake too. Still Z
Lori
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful character Zach is! He had everything you could want in a man and partner. He was accepting, supportive, honorable, vulnerable, sweet, and funny. But my favorite part of him was that he cherished every moment he could have with those he loved and yearned to find his place to belong. Their story was beautiful. I loved how Zach was with Stella. Stella finally learned to let others in and help her. She was independent and strong, but overwhelmed. It was heartwarming to read their bo ...more
Pamela Devereux
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stella Lane and Zach Mason are two of a kind. Stella has come home to heal a broken heart and Zach has finally decided to go home and put down roots. Stella is Miss Independent. She lets n one in to help. Her shield is up protecting her from everybody, including her friends. Zach knows what he wants and his theory is to keep plowing ahead till he achieves his goal. The two of them working together at the veterinary clinic is funny. He is all smiles and she is just ornery. They are like oil and v ...more
Lesley
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Beautifully Romantic Ending.
Zach returns to his hometown hoping to become a partner in a veterinary practice, only to find his mentor has died and his beautiful (but independent and obstinate) daughter now runs the show. Stella has been badly hurt in the past and has no intention of relying on anyone other than herself. Unfortunately for her the clinic has too much business for one person and needs new equipment that she cannot afford due to her father’s debts. Slowly Zach wends his way into the
Becky Wise
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very cute read. I love the finding love when you least expected reads and Never Expected You is wonderful. Stella is strong willed, guarded and a bit feisty. She is doing everything she can to keep her fathers practice running on her own. Once she meets Zach hang on and enjoy the ride. Zach is back after years away and is looking for a fresh start working at the one place he loved as a kid. Little does he know he is going to be put through his paces when it comes to Stella. Watching them slowl ...more
Marianne
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
This story was nicely layered. It had a bit of everything: drama, romance, sadness, humor, old wounds... The characters (Stella and Zach) were fleshed out well and the dialogue felt genuine. Both feel an instant attraction but resist it for various reasons. Once they start working together the slow burn begins and that was a nice change from the usual, too much/too soon, then try to put together a relationship.

I enjoyed the small town setting. I also enjoyed seeing the characters grow and hea
Nicole Smith
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
I will admit he cover drew me to this book because I love animals, but the blurb sold me on the book. Both Zach and Stella are veterinarians and truth the was the selling point for me. I love the small town and the quirks that come with it. I really liked Zach and Stella together. Great personalities that fit so well together. Stella has a hard time accepting help because she doesn't trust the motive behind that help, but Zach's going to show her he means his every word. It's definitive
Shea
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this sweet romance story. The thing that stood out to me about this story is how much Zach and Stella truly needed each other both professionally and personally. I loved the scenes where they were learning to open up to one another and learning how to comfort one another. I felt such a real connection between these two. Once I started reading this it became obvious that this was part of a series but it worked as a standalone story.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this
Carol
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. Stella had a vet practice she took over for her dad but it was in dire need of money to improve it and just flourish. Zach comes in and wants to become a partner, but she resists all the way. She's not the most trusting person. They tangle at every turn, but eventually, she starts to let him in. They even start to have feelings for one another until something blows that up in their faces. The writing was very good and I look forward to more of this authors books I got this boo ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
a wife* a mom* a reader and a writer* a friend* a daughter* a teacher* a sister* a blogger and follower* a worrier and word twister* a gemini*

Love Unexpected (3 books)
  • Let It Be Me (Love Unexpected, #1)
  • Story of Us (Love Unexpected, #3)