Jump to ratings and reviews

Heaven's Heart #2

Benevolent Passion

Peony has traded one Hell for another.

As a qualified doctor who only ever dreamed of helping people, being kept as a slave and then sold as breeding stock for Mortus demons was never on the cards.

Freed from imprisonment, Zadkiel is an angel on a mission: find Heaven’s stolen Heart and save the demon who helped him when he was a captive. But Z is suffering from a mystical illness no one can cure… Can he stay alive long enough to achieve his goals?

Together, Peony and Z will need every ounce of their combined strength to survive the Mortus stronghold and find the key to Heaven’s Heart.

Heaven's Heart series - In Progress

Loading interface...

About the author

Amanda Pillar

42 books88 followers
Amanda Pillar is an USA Today Bestselling author and award-winning editor who lives in Australia, with her husband and two children.

Amanda writes and edits urban fantasy, romance, horror and science fiction. She's the author of the unique Graced series and the paranormal romance adventure series Heaven's Heart, and is the co-author of the Moonlit Hills series. Amanda also is the author of Haunt Me, a standalone book in the Immortal Vices and Virtues series.

She has had over a dozen short stories published, with her fiction appearing in Space and Time Magazine, Kisses by Clockwork, Cranky Ladies of History, the Red Penny Papers, with more to come.

In her day job, she is an archaeologist.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 38 reviews
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews579 followers
November 21, 2018
Her touch can kill, but she has the heart and training of a healer. Peony, a cambion, is a slave in Hell. When she saw the tortured and brutalized angel, she was determined to bring him back from the brink of death, no matter what it took.

Zadkiel was angel with a mission, a mission he and his team failed at and now he has been made a slave in Hell, but the kindness and caring from the quiet half-demon gave him a reason to live and the hope that someday, he can return to Heaven, even if only to atone for his failure and find the key to Heaven’s Heart.

Ever wonder what goes on beyond the realm of humans? Meet angels, demons and more and witness how brutal their world can be, yet how “human” they can behave.

Amanda Pillar’s second book in the HEAVEN’S HEART series, BENEVOLENT PASSION is part love story, part demonic terror and quite possibly even better than book one! Ms. Pillar brings her characters to life and makes us want to be their friends, or maybe even figure out how to save them from their plight! From her amazing descriptions to the fabulous cast of characters, once again, love trumps all, but not without an incredible and emotional journey and some powerful family interference! Great dialogue and a brilliant plot make this a real gem in the treasure chest of paranormal reading!

I received a complimentary copy from Amanda Pillar!

Series: Heaven's Heart - Book 2
Publisher: Maatkare Books (November 12, 2018)
Publication Date: November 12, 2018
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Print Length: 300 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
For Reviews, Giveaways, Fabulous Book News, follow: http://tometender.blogspot.com
November 11, 2018
Second book in this fantastic new series.

If you haven’t read book one in this series... STOP... go no further and read it!! Otherwise your missing out of on oodles back story, adventure and ass kicking!!

This book picks up 6 months prior to the events in book 1 and gives us Zadriel’s perspective of events that result in heaven’s heart been stolen..and Z being kidnapped, brutalised and sold into slavery by infernos demons to the demonic Halcyon Guild of thieves and assassins. Z’s thoughts are focused solely on return to heaven and reclaiming his warrior angel status it is all he has wanted until he meets his Doctor...

Peony is a cambion... half human half Mortus demon ( and also twin sister to Halcyon assassin and guild slave Dru) she is also a caring, gentle healer and as soon as she sees Z she cannot help but want to make him well again and help him out of infernus... the real where they are currently heals prisoner. Because she is a prisoner... she is working off a blood debt like her sister... which means when mortus demons come looking for Dru..they gladly accept Peony in her place...because TWINS!!

This book was so wonderful crafted, the amount of story and plot that fills its pages absolutely boggled my brain. I loved it... it was a different pace the the first book but that relegated and the difference between Peony’s character and Dru’s...leaving it still action packed and by no means lacking. Infact the intrigue and suspense have stepped up and notch and we the readers are seeing more and more of these amazing worlds where gods, demons and angels are in control.

I’m loving the development of the story and the twists and turns that are being slowly revealed with each book. To say I’m chomping at the bit for book 3 would be putting it mildly!! I want more angels and demons and all the spectrum of species inbetween and I want them now!!!

1,589 reviews4 followers
November 10, 2018
She was sold! The Morturs were totally evil and as a healer she knew what she must do but, would she survive her new owners? Z was losing hope. Where were The Darts and his little healer? Enjoyed the intense situations, the action, the exciting suspense and the mystery. Peony’s character was powerful even if she didn’t know how much. So much strong, different and good characters! A story with an action-packed, intriguing and entertaining plot development with lot of surprises and twists that kept me reading avidly because I wanted to know. And so good the snippets for the next book. I’m hooked with this series!
Profile Image for Fiona Andrew.
767 reviews12 followers
November 8, 2018
What a fabulous story. I started it full of excitement and I was not disappointed. The demons and angels are back though this time it’s Peony and her angel Z who are the main characters. How can an angel and a demon work together? Especially when one of them can kill with a touch. What happens if they fall in love. Grab a copy of this book, your favourite drink, curl up and enjoy a fabulous story. Highly recommend.
Profile Image for Natalie Gold.
132 reviews1 follower
May 30, 2021
I enjoyed Z and Peony's story! I enjoyed being back in the world of angels and demons and am looking forward to book 3!
Profile Image for Nadine.
237 reviews5 followers
December 2, 2018
Just a few weeks ago, I posted on my blog the review for Deadly Passion. I was really excited about it because I went through an angel drought and it ended with this book.

I very much enjoyed Deadly Passion and definitely recommend it. The chief reason I say that, is because well you would enjoy Benevolent Passion a lot better with the background. I would not advise starting with Benevolent Passion as characters, relationships and events would end up being confusing. So trust me on this one, you want to start with book 1.

I was really waiting on this baby because as I finished Deadly Passion, I realized that book 2 will end up being about Dru's sister Peony and her patient. We are still dealing with the fallout of the event that occurred at the beginning of Deadly Passion, but here we are following Zadkiel, that pretty much vanished after the attack. Let me tell you that it isn't pretty!

Not wanting to give too much away (you know me!) the relationship between Zadkiel (who is really in a very bad shape) and Peony who is doing all she can to heal him, evolves slowly as we progress.

I really enjoyed very much the fact that we made a bit of progress in regard to the attack that started it all. Some tidbits, but I am guessing we will discover more as we go along.

There were a few interesting twists and surprises, you will get no complaints from me there as it all of these elements make for a really entertaining read.

I am not sure how many books are meant to have been in this series, but you know what, I am hooked and I cannot wait for book 3. The series seems to be going stronger and I am living for it.

I truly think Amanda did a wonderful job with the characters and how linked and tied in things are. Did I mention that I cannot wait for book 3?

Honestly, a wonderful series and I have a lot of high expectations when it comes to the upcoming volumes. Amanda set for herself a very high bar that I have no doubt she will smash. For me, she is an author to watch and I cannot wait to read more of her work.'

I am going to be VERY HIGHLY recommending Benevolent Passion, you are going to love it! However, as I said before; please start with book 1. Both books are very well written and pretty much a joy!

I hope you love them as much as I did!
173 reviews
November 13, 2018
In the second book of this series, another angel meets his match in a healer who was half demon and half human. Having his wing feathers ripped out, the angel, Zadkiel, is sold to the Halcyon Guild and is treated by Peony, to try and save his life since dead angels had no value. Feelings are starting to develop. All hell breaks loose when Peony is sold to the Mortus demons who were looking for her almost identical sister Dru who was wanted for killing Mortus demons.
Can both demon sisters actually fall for angels?
This was a very good continuation of the series as the author was able to blend in similar aspects but in much different circumstances. The sisters' ancestry is finally reveled which explains their abilities.
I received a free copy of this book, but It is my choice to leave this review. I am ready to attack the next in this series to find out what happens to our Angels and Demons...
Profile Image for Gemma.
532 reviews6 followers
January 23, 2020
Amazing

Wow another amazing book that focuses on "Z" the Warrior Angel with no Wings and Peony the Cambion Doctor whos poisonous to touch. An unlikely couple that just seems to fit right. Peony is a blood slave and under orders to heal an Angel who is so close to death after being captured and tortured by demons. Peony develops feeling for the wounded warrior and Z starts to crave the kindness of the beautiful demon which is against his primal nature. But when The Mortus come for Dru, Peony is giving Up in her place, where she has to protect herself from a civilisation that is cruel in their beliefs that women are only good for one thing. But soon circumstances changes and actions have consequences which can't be controlled not with a prophecy in the works. Brilliant book and well written loved every minute and will be moving to the next shortly.... book gives so much to the story.
Profile Image for Kaye.
6,823 reviews57 followers
November 13, 2018
ONE EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE READ!!!
Whoa baby! Talk about taking the rough road. This is one action packed, hard hitting, nailbiting, pulse racing, heart pounding, page turning thriller that is as riveting as it is captivating. With so many twists and turns, unexpected circumstances and unpredictable surprises around every corner this bad boy makes for one enjoyable experience. The characters and scenes are written with such realism it really pulls this little jewel together beautifully. Amanda describes each character with such depth and individuality it's easy to relate to and bond with them. All the graphic detail gives us a magnificent overview it makes it so easy to picture each scenario as they play off one another in perfect balance. Amanda did a remarkable job bringing this read to life flawlessly. Fantastic job Amanda, thanks for sharing this little guy with us.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
1,326 reviews13 followers
November 15, 2018
This is a fantastic series and if you haven't read book 1, you must must must! This could probably be read as a stand alone but why would you when book 1 was amazing too and provides much needed backstory?

Peony is a cambion and doctor raised in the human realm. Z is an Angel whom was kidnapped, beaten, poisoned and stripped of his feathers by demons. The two have insta-chemistry but both ignore it for different reasons. When Peony is sold to the mortis demons and Z finds out, it is a race to get her back ASAP before anything bad happens to her.

Funny thing though.... She might not need the help since she is pretty Bad A$$ all on her own! This is a terrific series and I absolutely cannot wait to read the next one!!!

Dru, Azrael and the gang are all up in this books business too! And Dru makes me laugh and laugh.

I was gifted an ARC in return of an honest review.
Profile Image for Donna.
703 reviews
December 19, 2018
Love This Series. Benevolent Passion is Book 2 of the Heaven's Heart Series by Amanda Pillar. This is Peony and Z's story. Amanda is an exceptionally gifted author with the ability to bring the story to life with words. You actually experience the story as if you are there. She weaves the treads of the first two stories in the series together like magic. Her character development and plot advancement is spot on. You are rooting for Peony and Z to be able to overcome their difficulties and get back together. At the closing of this book you are left with the need to see what Amanda has coming our way in the next in series. I highly recommend this series and know you will not be disappointed. Received a copy and this is my voluntary and honest review.
Profile Image for Michel.
132 reviews
November 17, 2018
ahh amanda pillar continues her amazing new series in this book and its just as gut wrenchingly awesome as the first book though there are somethings i take issue with mainly some choices peony has thrust upon her i know theres fate and destiny and all that but i do sometimes hate having choices removed and paths forced upon you out of your control overall good read though we learned alot more about the world and characters and more about peony and dru and peony and z connection was firmly established through the book as well keep up the good work amanda looking forward to the next book despite the few issues i had in this one :)
Profile Image for Kel Carpenter.
Author 43 books1,327 followers
November 12, 2018
This second installment in the Heaven's Heart series is OFF THE CHARTS. So much happens in this book. So many twists and turns that build on what Deadly Passion started and set up beautifully for Winged Passion.

Peony has a different kind of strength I found a nice change, and she grows as a character do to circumstances. Her feelings for Z were sweet and he was the right mix of dominant but not controlling.

Fans of Kresley Cole, Nalini Singh, K.F. Breene, and Larissa Ione will love this series.
I highly recommend.
Profile Image for Ani.
257 reviews4 followers
November 20, 2018
Book one left me in angst for Peony. What would the Mortus do to her, I hated the king and the Mortus way of life and it would ruin her. This book filled in some detail of Z and Peony’s time together and have more depth to their relationship. The angst in this book was intense. Z has to decide what he wants from his future and Peony is too selfless to say what she truly wants. The story was a great read and the flow just made it so easy to get wrapped up in the lives of these characters.

I just want more! The world Amanda Pillar has created is fantastic and I cannot wait to visit it again!
Profile Image for J.M..
931 reviews4 followers
November 24, 2018
No spoilers of any kind included.
This book was freaking amazing!
I absolutely loved Z and Peony’s story that I actually pouted when I got to the end of the book because I didn’t want to leave their world.
Amanda Pillar is one mad story weaving genius, the characters and realities are freaking awesome!
I definitely look forward to the next book in this series because I have to know what else happens to these angels and demons.
So yes I most definitely do recommend this book to anyone who’s searching for a fantastic story to climb into and get totally lost within its pages.
Profile Image for Louise Norton.
280 reviews7 followers
December 26, 2018
I loved book 2 in this series and can't wait to get stuck into book 3. This story is about Peony and Zadkiel (Z for short). Peony never imagined she would end up a slave who's then sold for breeding stock. Z was freed from imprisonment and determined to find the key to heavens heart. But a mysterious illness is affecting him and no-one knows what it is. Together they fight to stay alive against the Mortus demons. Will they be able to find the key or will they die trying. Pick up a copy to find out you won't be disappointed.
I voluntarily reviewed a reader copy from the author
February 28, 2019
This is the second book that I have read but Amanda Pillar. And I did not regret reading any of them. The first book Deadly Passion was just spark to ignite the fire in me but when I received a free copy of book two Benevolent Passion I volunteered to review it i taught Dru and Az had given me everything that I had ever wanted to read in a book but here comes sister # 2 Peony and Z. This winged Angel is too hot 🔥 for me alone so for those of you who don't read this book as yet now is the time Amanda I love your work continue to do what you do best.
Profile Image for Nicole Henderson.
677 reviews3 followers
November 14, 2018
Well let’s just say that life is a journey and sometimes it’s a tough one to walk. Peony and Z both have a tough path to follow and the journey is only just beginning. They do end up together in this book but getting there was no walk in the park, and keeping to it isn’t going to be any easier. There where lots of twist and turns in this story and the series has really only just started and it’s now left me wanting to read the next book all the more because I’m enjoyin the series that much.
Profile Image for Sydney.
304 reviews35 followers
November 23, 2018
Just couldn't slow down on reading this book. Loved how it went back a gave Peony and Z's history before and after they met. Great story line with it meeting up with the pervious book and then going forward. Z learns not everything it nor what it seems and Peony learns that being a good person still means sometimes you have to fit your way there. Lots of action and their are lots of reveals in this one, you learn alot.
Profile Image for Fran Zoch, LSoR.
2,033 reviews12 followers
November 11, 2018
Peony is a healer but she is now a slave to demons , Z is sick but he needs to find the Heavens Heart , these two are drawn together , her healing and his heart now they have to work together to keep him healthy and figure out

I love how this story is told and all the little twists and turns , I am so excited and can not wait for book 3
November 13, 2018
Utterly fantastic! I absolutely loved it! This can be read as a stand-alone but its best to be read in order to get the whole story.
The characters were enjoyable to read. They were the perfect balance for each other.
I do feel like there is so much more to this story but I’m hoping that the next books in the series will elaborate more.
Definitely can’t wait for more though!
12 reviews1 follower
November 14, 2018
Another one for the books

ITS SO GOOD!! Seriously people the second book following Peony and Z is just as good as the first. At first I was skeptical because I don’t like reading a series where each book follows a different character. But this book was definitely worth the read! You will not be disappointed and I definitely did not see it coming.
Profile Image for Danielle Carpenter.
1,472 reviews5 followers
December 5, 2018
I don't usually read angels books, because of my views on angels and demons. This story is actually about love and purity of heart. It also suggests that there is procreation among angels and demons. The consequences of such actions are also explained. God even has prophecies for such actions. This story is actually quite humorous and I liked Peony and Dru, because of their uniqueness.
Profile Image for Tera Comer.
2,136 reviews40 followers
December 10, 2018
This is the second book in the Heaven's Heart series and OMG I could not wait to read Peony's story. As like the first book this one pulled me and and did not want to let me go. There is plenty of action and suspense revolving around Peony and Z to keep you pulled in till the last page. I can not wait to read the next book! I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.
Profile Image for Vicky.
112 reviews3 followers
November 28, 2019
These characters are so sweet - the kindest demon going and one of the youngest of the fallen Dart angels. The end of book one really had me worrying how Peony would cope. Sure, she had won over the Guild demons, but these are Mortus demons who she's been sold too. As for Z... Well. Read it and find out 😜
Profile Image for Crystal Smith.
589 reviews14 followers
January 2, 2020
Angels and demons, Oh My!

I stumbled onto these books and author by accident and i am so glad is did! This series gets better with each book and I’ve loved every word I’ve read so far. Peony is the silent but deadly character you can’t help by root for and Z accepting his fate made for such an amazing read. Can’t wait for more!
3,392 reviews13 followers
November 12, 2018
I enjoyed reading this book 📚, it has a good storyline,is filled with action and intrigue. The chemistry between the characters is wonderful. I can't wait for more from this author. I received this book as a FREE ARC copy to read and I voluntarily leave this review.
1,141 reviews5 followers
November 12, 2018
I received this book for free and voluntarily reviewed. This story was interesting and enjoyable. The storyline was intriguing and unexpected in places, which was good. The characters were entertaining and engaging and their interactions were funny. A series I would continue.
Profile Image for Katie.
1,396 reviews6 followers
February 3, 2019
I absolutely love this series. This is Z and Peony story. And I loved it. Love the storyline. Lot of action and romance. Wish is what I love reading about. This is the second book in series and so far my favorite. Can't wait to read next book in series.
Profile Image for Jocelyn LeDonne.
437 reviews1 follower
February 3, 2019
Good second book. I really enjoyed this story, great character and story line development. Strong female leads throughout both books, angels, demons and hidden secrets. I really like Peony and Zadkiel's story and it is a great paranormal fantasy romance series so far. I can't wait for book 3.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 38 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.