Start by marking “Imagining Lahore: The city that is, the city that was” as Want to Read:
Imagining Lahore: The city that is, the city that was

Imagining Lahore: The city that is, the city that was

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  67 ratings  ·  15 reviews
An anecdotal travelogue about Lahore - which begins in the present and travels through time to the mythological origins of the city attributed to Ram's son, Lav. Through the city's present - its people, communities, monuments, parks and institutions - the author paints a vivid picture of the city's past. From its emergence under Mahmud Ghaznavi to the Mughal centuries wher ...more
Published August 17th 2018 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Imagining Lahore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imagining Lahore

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Imagining Lahore: The city that is, the city that was
W
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: pakistan
Having spent nearly a year of my life in Lahore,the city always interests me. This book starts in present day Lahore,which has been dug up repeatedly in recent times for so-called "development" projects like roads,the metro bus track and the Orange Line railway track. Till recently,Lahore was governed by such whims of one man,Shahbaz Sharif. These projects played havoc,with the cultural heritage of the city.

The book then flits back and forth,between Lahore's past and present. The author clearly
Omama.
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pakistan, lahore
My Lahore, the beautiful city I have called home all my life, the city of love and splendour, the city of allure and charm. ❤️ This book contains all the beautiful & ugly truths Lahore has hidden deep; the city that is, the city that was. A city of gardens that no longer exists, a city that was the playground of Mughal Royalty, a city of thousands, yet a city that belongs to only a handful.

This book made me want to go out and explore all the things which made Lahore, Lahore; that I have never d
Apratim Mukherjee
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haroon Khalid has his own way to tell his tale.The timeline of history is reversed and the reader slowly time travels in the past.In this book,the author makes the reader see Lahore with his eyes and its amazing.A lack of photographs of Lahore is made up by the unbiased story telling.I recommend this book to everyone who wants to read about Lahore.
Noor ul Ain
It started off well, however it became confusing after the second chapter. The author has researched well and has a wealth of knowledge about the different aspects of the city, the problem is that he has failed to organise them in a reader friendly way (in my opinion). He has also tried to cram as much as he could in this book.
I think it would have been much better if he had tried to focus on one aspect of the city only, maybe architecture or politics or religion. It has tried to cover everythi
Marwa Shafique
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Histories, like traumatic memories, cannot be easily cast away. They come back to haunt us. Surviving as tiny repositories of traditions are some of those names, preserving within them histories and stories not otherwise fully acknowledged. Despite the imposition of narratives and propaganda, these names endure, highlighting how, at the level of lived experience, Lahore carries along its past, which the state would rather have it forget."

I don't know when my fascination with Lahore quite began;
Usman  Baig
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. Nice informative read. Could’ve used a bit more structure though.
Pallav Mishra
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A very good book on an ambitious topic that goes deep into the medieval to modern history of Lahore. The construct still seems very stream of consciousness, and at specific points, becomes confusing as it goes back and forth between Lahore in Ranjit Singh’s reign and that of his successors. Wish this had some “method to the madness”..but generally a very insightful book that is very easy reading too.
Rabia
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always fascinate from Lahore's life in mughal era and imagine the era when the fort, mosques and gardens were alive and they have their inhabitants as well as illumination at their mean time.
Haroon Khalid tried to explain my imaginatory world into writings.
Haroon Khalid uniquely explain the period and Lahore's cultural diversity and heritage. He explained all folklore, myths and stories with Deep research.
Basically this book is on the heart of Pakistan "Lahore". It's an eye opener account as
Stephanie Josine
I absolutely loved this book. The way Khalid uses physical places as a springboard to leap around through history is at times a little hard to keep up with - sometimes multiple timelines are being explored in parallel - but always fascinating and rewarding. I learnt so much about the heart and spirit of Pakistan by reading this; about not just the major events but their significance and their place in collective memory and the national identity. If you're a gora living in Pakistan, save the stuf ...more
Ishita Dutta
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quick easy read. The book took me back on a historical ride. Well researched and well explained. The author will take you through the political upheavals faced by the city of Lahore. The author successfully portrays an unbiased side of the city. I would have however preferred a linear way of storytelling instead of starting from the present to going back to the time of Valmiki and Ram. But that's just me. Overall I enjoyed some of the chapters.
Karanvir Singh
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Haroon Khalid has a unique way to share his experience amalgamating it with lores, legends and myths which keeps the reader hooked on. I, as an Indian, who never visited Pakistan let alone Lahore, was made to wonder about the city intrigues, its deep rooted history, its minarets, its culture and traditions. The book's contents are as colourful as its cover which keeps one hooked on till the last page.
Raza
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Imagine a city state with Ranjit Singh as the king, Nur Jahan as the queen, Aurangzeb as the crown prince, Manto/Habib Jalib as the poet of the people, Henry Lawrence as the Resident and Bhagat Singh as the revolutionary among the masses.
If this story does not fill one with awe, then maybe nothing will. Loved the book, its history and its characters.
Syed Umar
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Finally.
After a long time.
Looking forward to this beautiful book.
It looks interesting and engaging.
We should know about the city which used to be ours before 1947.
Vivek
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very unique perspective towards Lahore and was an eye opener for me in terms of the diversity of cultural heritage that Lahore has in terms of Hindu, Sikh and Jain monuments. The author provides a very detailed and well researched background on the various stories, myths and telltale signs of a glorious past interspersed with modern day politics and the ground realities. Someday if I do visit Lahore, I'll probably re read this book to make sure I can visit those places he has highlighted, thou ...more
Yash Sharma
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lahore : The City That Is Eager To Forget Its Past
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Who live sees, but who travels, sees more.

- Ibn Battutah

Imagining Lahore, The city that is, The city that was is brilliantly written travelogue-cum-biographical sketch of the majestic City of Lahore.

The author of this book is renowned for his unbiasedness and the way he link the past of the Lahore with the present is laudable.

For the detailed review you can visit - https://dontbi
Shireen Waraich
Sep 28, 2018
Shayan
Apr 07, 2019
Qau Mana
rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2020