Start by marking “Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)

Dark Shores

(Dark Shores #1)

High seas adventure, blackmail, and meddling gods meet in Dark Shores, the first novel in a new YA fantasy series.

In a world divided by meddlesome gods and treacherous oceans, only the Maarin possess the knowledge to cross the Endless Seas. But they have one mandate: East must never meet West.

A PIRATE WITH A WILL OF IRON

Teriana is the second mate of the Quincense and heir
Published May 7th 2019 by Tor Teen

Helena of Sparta ✰ (on semi-hiatus)
I BOUGHT THIS BEAUTY TODAY!!! YIPPEE!!!

According to the author, we should expect:

description

"~ A world inspired by Ancient Rome
~ Lots and lots of political intrigue
~ A villainous, power-hungry senator bent on conquest
~ Slow burn romance
~ Exciting sea voyages
~ Legions engaging in epic battles (on land)
~ Meddlesome gods
~ A fierce heroine who says what she thinks and means what she says
~ A brilliant hero with far too many dangerous secrets that are coming back to haunt him
~ NOT scenes where actual piracy tak
Danielle Jensen
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
I can't wait for readers to dive into DARK SHORES. Here's a few things to expect!

~ A world inspired by Ancient Rome
~ LOTS of political intrigue
~ A villainous, power-hungry senator bent on conquest
~ Slow burn romance (as if I could write a book without kissing!)
~ Exciting sea voyages
~ Legions engaging in epic battles (on land)
~ Meddlesome gods
~ Friendship, both new and old
~ Family drama
~ A fierce heroine who says what she thinks and means what she says
~ A brilliant hero with far too many dangero
megs_bookrack
A pirate.
A soldier.
A dangerous quest.

ARC received.
Thank you, Tor Teen!!!!
Angelica
A million years ago, back when I read more than four books a month and actually had time to post reviews, I read Danielle L. Jensen's debut novel, Stolen Songbird and really enjoyed it. So, I was pretty eager to try out this book and see where this sweeping, epic story about pirates and soldiers was going to take me.

And where did it take me, you might wonder.

Far. But also not far enough.

First of all, let it be known that despite what the synopsis tries to tell you, this book is not in fact abou
Lola
This is a DNF for me. I instantly knew after reading the first page that it would be a DNF. Sometimes you just know. It’s like when you meet someone knew. The first conversation you have with that person can determine whether you can connect on a deeper level or not. Of course, it’s good to give the other person a more meaningful chance than one simple conversation, so I pushed through that boring first page. But like most relationships, if the beginning isn’t beautiful, the rest of it usually i ...more
Nick
May 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
so many good fantasy novels this year, don't know where to start
Umairah | Sereadipity
May 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dark Shores is a tale of political intrigue that questions whether everything can be easily classified as 'right' or 'wrong'. I really thought I'd enjoy this book because the premise sounded amazing and so many other people adored it. Sadly, it left me feeling disappointed.

Plot: 2/5
Characters: 2/5
Writing: 3/5

As always, I'll start with the positives. There was a very diverse cast of characters and the word building- based off of Ancient Rome- was convincing. Throughout the novel, we are told that
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 3.75/5 stars.

Dark Shores is the first instalment in the Dark Shores series, involving high-stakes oceanic travel, piracy and plundering, and a world divided by religion and politics. East must never meet West and West does not know that East exists at all. But all that changes when the power-hungry Western hierarchy long to stretch their reach and seek to discover if the famed never-ending seas are hiding a secret they can dominate.

Teriana is first-mate of the pirate ship that sees
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
*This review can also be found on The Reader and the Chef! Huge thanks to Tor Teen for the review copy in exchange of my honest review.*

Dark Shores might very well be one of my top favorite reads of 2019! I know it's a bit early to say that but this book is simply fantastic. Not only did I fall in love with a kick-ass heroine who is a PIRATE, but also with the world (and unexplored lands) that make up the Dark Shores.

One question I always wonder about Fantasy books and I'm sure many readers are
Brenda Waworga
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book isn’t about pirate/piracy tho we got a glimpse of the adventure on the ship.. the story is more about empire and politics and battles and magic and gods inspired by ancient Roman! The book told by 2 POVs (Marcus and Teriana)

There were few things I love and don’t like, so lets start with things I loved. I love the main idea that Danielle tried to bring on this book… “the East continent people cant meet West continent people” is such a unique idea and I also adore Marcus one of the main
Athena Elizabeth
Thank you so much to NetGalley, Macmillan - Tom Doherty Associates & Tor Teen for the eARC of Dark Shores in exchange for an honest review.

For the most part, this is a quick read and a fast flowing book that kept me interested. I really liked the book until she lost me with one particular scene, which I will explain in a bit. The world is set in a roman conqueror-esque era where the Maarin traders and the Dark Shores are out of bounds....for now.

"East must not meet West"

Teriana, the heir to
Shannon (discoverelysian)
Thank you to the publisher—Tor Teen—for giving me an e-ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

You can also read my review here

East must never meet West.
Teriana is an heir to the Maarin Triumvirate who sails with Quincense. She breaks a promise to keep silent about her people’s secret with devastating consequences to save best her friend from an unwanted forced betrothal.
Marcus, a commander of the most notorious legion that has led the Celendor Empire to conquer the entire East. H
Steven
Thanks so much to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review!!!

Wow, what a ride! I *loved* this book. I didn't expect to love it, but I did. I expected the romance to be typical YA, which it had hints of, but seemed to be a little more realistic in my opinion. I expected the characters to be all tropy, which for the most part, they weren't (and where they were, the author really tried to flip the tropes upside down). I expected the stakes
melissafandomworld
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A truly marvelous adventure! One that leaves me with so many unanswered questions regarding the story line though so I don't know if I'm upset about that or excited so I can look forward to the next installment haha. But no, I really cannot wait to see how this story continues.

The world was really interesting and well developed, and it was obvious that it was inspired by Ancient Rome which I loved. The author used some elements and made all of it her own. It also gave me a lot of Pirates of the
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review and others on my blog shades of paper

“The East and the West must be kept apart. They must be protected from each other.”

This book was one of my most anticipated releases of this year, and I went with such high expectations into it, not only because I’ve read another book by this author previously and enjoyed it, but also because the premise sounded absolutely incredible and right up my alley, and though there were some parts that I thoroughly enjoyed, I also had som
Ainslee || Jest and Hearts
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Yea, so I freaking loved this book, I absolutely devoured it in a day. The one thing you need to know before going into this book is that it is NOT a pirate book. I repeat it is NOT a pirate book.

Dangerous Shores is full of incredible world building, politics, magic, meddlesome Gods, complex characters, adventure, a dangerous quest and its inspired by Ancient Rome.

Now that we've got that covered, what is this book about then? Well Dark Shores is inspired b
Ann (annreads)
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases, arcs
*I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thanks Tor Teen and MTMC Tours for sending me a copy!*

That was SO GOOD!
Inspired in Ancient Rome, Dark Shores is a dark tale full of adventure and political intrigue, with super complex- yet lovable characters, some complicated romance (totally digging it😂) and PHENOMENAL world building! It was everything I was expecting and more, and I literally devoured it in one sitting! I had such a blast reading it, and trust me guys, you don’t want to m
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Type of Book - Multiple POV
Publication Date – May 7, 2019
Genre – Fantasy
Rating – 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy generously provided by the author through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story

I really had a hard time starting off with this story. There were so many times I wanted to put it down while our characters were in the East….I know now that after finishing this book that t
Isabel (The Reader & The Chef)
OMG! This book is fantastic.❤❤❤❤ I looove the characters, the setting and the epic adventure! Thank you so much to Danielle for letting me read it!
Nicole (FearYourEx)
I received an early copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars
Dark Shores was not quite what I expected it to be going into it, but to be honest it was better than I expected. I went into this book because of the pirate character, Teriana. If you've been following my bookstagram or my reviews, you know I love a good swashbuckling tale!

Unfortunately this book didn't entirely deliver on the swashbuckling. I do not entirely agree with calling Teriana and her people pirates, th
AtenRa
What a pleasant surprise this book was! I went into it after years of not reading much of YA fantasy (too many duds in the past) and expecting the worst because of all the hype.
I am so glad I was wrong.

Plot wise, Jensen nailed it. I really liked her world building - intricate enough to be interesting, but not too complex to be confusing. Although I have to admit it was hard for me to get into in the beginning, but I mostly attribute that to my long absence from fantasy. Also, I am not a fan of "
Cortney (cortingbooks)
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Life is all about making the tough decisions...

This book was like a mashup of Julius Caesar and Pirates of the Caribbean. A delightful ride full of action and adventure with morally grey characters. From the lovable Aunt Yedda who refused to let a little thing like blackmail ruin her sense of humor to the secretive Captain of the Thirty-Seventh Legion Legatus Marcus who gets the job done no matter what the costs. Dark Shores is a journey across worlds with magic and political intrigue. I’ll defi
Jessica {Litnoob}
Ok so this was a very firm, gave Jessica all the feelings, assaulted my whole heart level of five stars. Like seriously solid five stars.

This book built the world just enough that I could picture it perfectly while not bogging down the story with to many details. The tale, even when it was only traveling was never boring. We get to see this world through the eyes of two people and therefore get to see the very different perspectives throughout.

Both of our leads have vastly different goals but ar
Rae
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual Rating 3.5 stars
Will have a full review soon :)
Michelle
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not the best at writing reviews so I will just say you need to add this book to your to be read pile because oh my god it was so good!

I love the world building, the characters, the story, the inner turmoil, the subtle romance. Oh boy I’m pretty excited I had a chance to read this early.

Between our main characters, Teriana and Marcus, I was like yay, characters who are not perfect, who have some serious inner conflict to work through and whom I ship so badly! *fangirl squeal* I was getting
Selene
Dec 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley and Macmillan-Tor/Forge for the advanced reading copy of Dark Shores by Danielle L. Jensen. I can't wait to start this book.

Before Reading:
I have read Danielle’s Malediction trilogy and loved it so much (it is one of my favourite trilogy’s of all time). That combined with the concept of this book I knew I had to get my hands on it immediately.

Danielle L. Jensen has described this novel as having:
- a world ins
Ari
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here it is, this beautiful book with such wonderful cover and lovely characters!

I admit, the first quarter had a bit of info dumping and the way the characters got to come along on the journey sounded a bit off, that's when I took a break from reading, but when I picked it up again I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it.

Teriana is a fierce girl with fire in her soul and Marcus is a soldier who thinks strategies before using his sword. It was a good combination, though I wish they had more
Vidhya
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
First of all - Thank you netgalley for providing me a free copy in exchange for an honest review!
Now- let's get on with the review!

I went into Dark Shores expecting crazy pirates and fun sea battles and exceedingly good treasure chests - You know everything cliched.
However, Dark Shores surprised me. There was a lot of empire, clan conspiracies, theories even kidnappings and roman influences.
Although i enjoyed all that, and I really like Teriana as a character, something still felt amiss. I didnt
Alexandra
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

A quick read filled with magic, ah ate to love relationship and mysteries untold. I loved the sense of family and friendship and both characters were headstrong and amazing on their own, despite the rough start of their interactions in the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Uppercase YA Subs...: Dark Shores by Danielle L. Jensen 1 1 Jun 04, 2019 08:10AM

• Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth
  • Eight Will Fall
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Sword and the Dagger
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • We are Blood and Thunder
  • The Midnight Lie
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1)
Danielle L. Jensen is the USA Today bestselling author of The Malediction Novels: Stolen Songbird, Hidden Huntress, Warrior Witch, and The Broken Ones. Her upcoming novels are THE BRIDGE KINGDOM, which will be released by Audible Originals in October, 2018 and DARK SHORES, which will be released by Tor Teen in May, 2019. She lives with her family in Calgary, Canada.

I would love to be your friend o

Dark Shores (2 books)
  • Untitled (Dark Shores, #2)