Start by marking “Goldfish Secrets (The Lady of the Vineyard, #0.8)” as Want to Read:
Goldfish Secrets (The Lady of the Vineyard, #0.8)

Goldfish Secrets

(The Lady of the Vineyard 0.8)

Judy only has one friend: her goldfish, Marlie.

With Marlie gone, who can Judy rely on?

Goldfish Secrets is the short story prequel to The Lady of the Vineyard.
Kindle Edition, 1, 12 pages
Published September 10th 2018 by Kellyn Roth

To ask other readers questions about Goldfish Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldfish Secrets

Kellyn Roth
This 2,000 word/10 page prequel to The Lady of the Vineyard can function as a standalone. Enjoy!
Abigayle Claire
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute and impactful--a great prequel that captures the mind and heart of a child. Well worth the five minutes it takes to read.
Grace
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t read any of the other parts of this series (yet) but this little beauty makes me want to see more into Judy’s life! I really need to get to reading those books. 🙂

It works very well as a stand alone though! The plotting was just enough to get me to hang on until the end. I enjoyed it very much! Some points made me want to cry (no spoilers) and some made me smile.

Honestly, Judy, Marlie, Granny, and Mother were all cute characters that worked well together, and had a lot of depth. I can’t
Angela R. Watts
An endearing, sweet short story that is so realistic! The characters are a sprinkle of sweet and salty. The things they learn are precious. I recommend this to all ages!

UPDATE: My 5 and 2 yr old nieces let me read it to them, too!
Faith
Introduction:
I wanted a short read and this one fit the bill perfectly.

Characters: 1/1
The characters were super sweet. I felt so sad for little Judy. I just wanted to hug her and help her however I could. And I love her name for her fish.

Dialogue: 1/1
I thought all of the dialogue was accurate to the time period and age of the person.

Plot/Storyline: .75/1
This was a super short story, but there was still a good plotline in it. I liked it. Even though it is so short, it could have still used perhap
Loretta Marchize
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Four stars

Prose: 4/5
Romance: none
Characters: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Prose:

Fairly good. It's a short story, so I didn't feel as if I got a long time to get adjusted to Kellyn's particular style for this story, but I do like how it depicts Judy. It feels like a child's voice.
Romance:
None
Characters:
I LOVE the characters! There is such a good portrayal of Judy and her mother.
Plot:
Another thing I loved! I especially like how the plot itself reveals that (view spoiler)
Abigail
This was such a cute, short prequel to Kellyn Roth's series Lady of the Vineyard! Even though I have yet to read Lady of the Vineyard and Flowers (The squeal to LotV), I honestly cannot wait to start reading this series!! For only being 16 pages long, Judy's character really touches your heart and makes you want to hold her and squeeze her for her adorableness!!

Overall, I cannot wait to read the rest of the series!!

*I received this book as an arc from the writer. This did not have to be a posi
R.A.
This was a sweet prequal to the Lady of the Vineyard! Judy and her fish though!!! <3

Take at least five minutes of your time and read this...once it's out there anyways. ;)

(Why the '#0.8'??!)
Gracelyn Buckner
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

~wonderfuls~

characters

Judy is the sweetest! I loved seeing her character when she was younger, versus when she's older in the rest of the series. Her grandmother was really sweet, too.

premise

I really loved how Judy's best friend was a goldfish. Her relationship with her mom was really sad, but what's to be expected out of Adele?

~not-so-wonderfuls~

N/A

~personal thoughts~

All in all, I loved Goldfish Secrets, and would highly recommend it, as well as the Lady of the Vineyard series.
Abigail
Adorable, heartwarming, and wonderful. Judy is the sweetest little kid. This was a perfect prequel to The Lady of the Vineyard, I loved seeing the characters before their arcs really begin.

4.5 stars!

Full (er, kinda) review is up on my blog: http://novelsdragonsandwardrobedoors....

**I was sent a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review**
Julia at Lit Aflame
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Goldfish Secrets' characters are quite realistic and the way they interact is not only relatable, but "normal" as well. The story is fast paced, seeing it's a short story, so you do see a very quick change of events.
Though Goldfish Secrets is definitely a stand alone it sets up a good picture of Adele (Judy's mother) for the novella that follows it.
This is a clean read and recommended for any age!
Hanna
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I confess I haven't read The Lady of the Vineyard. I was planning to this Summer. And it didn't happen. Nevertheless, I enjoyed Goldfish Secrets very much. It was a glimpse into the life of characters that I haven't read about yet, and a sweet glimpse--with a touch of sadness.

Judy is the most adorable little girl; the epitome of innocence and childishness. Kellyn Roth is excellent at writing children. Judy focuses on simple things, but she needs someone to trust. That's a big, not-so-simple
Chloe (aka Crystal)
Previously published on Purely by Faith Reviews.

I've read both novels in the series so far, and this short story makes a perfect addition to it! Goldfish Secrets gives us an early insight into both Adele's and Judy's lives as prequel to The Lady In the Vineyard. This was one of those reads that made me feel nostalgic, and really reminded me of the fish I used to adore as a child. I loved my betta fish, Richard. <3

I have to say that their relationship is sweet and salty, with Judy being so ado
E.F.B.
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a super cute and quick read. Having not had the chance to read Kellyn Roth’s “Lady of the Vineyard” yet, I don’t know what the greater significance of this little story might have as far as who these characters became later on. In spite of that, I was still able to follow and enjoy the story for what it was…even if I did want to slap one character silly for a little bit. :P But, ultimately, I was satisfied with how things turned out. I also liked the author’s writing style.

So, even if
Heather
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was in one of those grumpy, 'I don't feel like reading this or that', kind of moods yesterday when I remembered that I had printed out my advanced reader copy that the author had sent to me and had it in my bag. I settled down to read it and was so pleased with it.

Judy is a darling little girl whose closest friend is a goldfish named Marlie that she received as a gift. The author quickly pulled you in and had you feeling for the character, her life, and family. I loved the ending, it gave a fe
Sunny Houk
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quick read but a very well written sweet short story.
Jessica
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable short story that will warm your heart and make you sniffle just a little. This story struck a near and dear cord in my heart and I believe you will fall in love with Judy and want to give her a squeeze!

Sweet, short, relatable this is a darling little story from Kellyn Roth, to be treasured and perused again.

***I was given a free copy by the author in exchange for an honest review**
Kim
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goldfish Secrets by Kellyn Roth is the prequel to her book The Lady of the Vineyard. The story is about a little girl and her goldfish. Judy tells all her secrets to Marley. Although this is a vey short read it has a lot of heart. It will have you searching your own motives and reactions. Could you be a little kinder, a little more sensitive to others? A great little read.

I received this e-book from the author in exchange for my honest review.
Emily Yager
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goldfish Secrets, is a short story/ prequel to The Lady of the Vineyard and takes place in 1936. The story is told through the eyes of young Judy, who is about four years old, who loses her pet goldfish, Marlie.
This is such an adorable and yet bittersweet tale. You can't help but feel for the young girls struggle. It is well worth the five-ten minutes it takes to read.
Mya Gray
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This short story was so cute! I loved all the characters, Judy was so sweet and I loved her Grandma. I was a little confused by her mother’s sudden change in attitude, but besides that this was a short fun read!
Also the cover!!! 😱😍
Medomfo
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a beautiful story on the Importance Of building relationships and dealing with hurt. I now just want to go and reread the story again 😊
Lucie
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet read! I love little Judy's personality, but I do wish we had gotten to know her a little better. Kellyn Roth really knows how to write a good book. I would totally recommend it! I was given this book to give an honest review.
Bethany Fehr
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although the story is a prequel to the novella The Lady of the Vineyard (which I am now very interested in reading as a result of "Goldfish Secrets"), it stands on it's own as well as if it had been intended to do so. A touching, sweet story. The writing style is simple and unpretentious, giving the story a down-to-earth realism while perfectly transporting the reader into the perspective of a young child. I felt about three feet shorter while I was reading it. All of the details are meaningful ...more
Jana Tenbrook (Reviews from the Stacks)
I have heard a lot about The Lady of the Vineyard series recently, but I haven't read the series myself (yet). Goldfish Secrets is a prequel, but it also functions as a standalone. Because of this, it seemed like a good place to jump in and see what the author's style is like. Excepting a few instances of rather blunt, uninspired dialogue, Goldfish Secrets is nicely written. Although short, you are introduced to enough of the character's world to understand family dynamics, general living condit ...more
Faith
What a sweet little story!

Goldfish Secrets, a short story prequel to Kellyn's novella The Lady of the Vineyard, is a delightful look into the early days of Judy's life and relationship with her mother, Adele.

It was a darling story that would be perfect for any age! While reading it, I was thinking that it would be great for a read-aloud for small children. Although it was more enjoyable to me since I'm familiar with the characters, but it could be read as a stand-alone.

Definitely recommended!
Julia
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a short and sweet read! It only takes a few minutes to get through the book, and I liked how Judy actually acted like a CHILD in it, not some demented, over-dramatic (or overly-anything) character.
Rachel Rizzuto
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bata-read
This book was good! A short story about a how kids are innocent and sensitive. Judy was a good girl. I like how the story ended! A good read!
Liz F.
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
For this review, since it's a short little story, I'm just going to pour out my thoughts and not organize them that much!

-One of the main events (Marlie dying. I'm just going to say that because it even says it in the summary) happened rather fast, but I loved the descriptions before it!
-Judy's Mother went through a big change there, wow. She was so mean at first!!!
-I like that Judy has a nice Granny who loves her! ;)
-The cover is nice! :D
-I kinda want to know more about Aunt Millie because it d
Jessie Bingham
Jan 11, 2019
Olivia
Sep 08, 2018

Kellyn Roth has been writing stories since she was seven, though she wrote quite a few (awful) poems and songs before that. Nowadays, she pens Christian & Historical Fiction, including lots of adorable children and mischievous animals - as well as a generous dose of BBC-style drama.

Miss Roth lives in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge with her parents, two little brothers, crazy border collie

The Lady of the Vineyard (2 books)
  • The Lady of the Vineyard  (The Lady of the Vineyard #1)
  • Flowers  (The Lady of the Vineyard #2)