Start by marking “The Sleeping Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Sleeping Dragon

The Sleeping Dragon

On a fantasy world Tolkienesque to the point of cliché, the five greatest adventurers of the age discover that in five hundred years, the Sleeping Dragon will awake and destroy civilisation.

But prologue aside, this is not their story.

This is a story from a half millennium later, in a world now so utterly transformed by mass-produced magic that it seems heroism itself is re
Paperback, Corrected proof, 309 pages
Published 2018 by Wild Jester Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sleeping Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleeping Dragon

Start your review of The Sleeping Dragon
TS Chan
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Sleeping Dragon is FREE on Kindle US and UK until March 17th. A stand-alone urban fantasy which is entertaining, humourous and quite clever. Check it out!

I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The Sleeping Dragon was an entertaining and pretty clever piece of writing.

When the author approached me to offer a review copy, I checked out the blurb as I usually would, and was intrigued by the premise of a five hundred-year old world-ending prophecy being
Glen
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: firstreads, fantasy
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

500 years before, the foremost group of adventurers scry into the future, and find the end of the world. They cast a spell that will find the best adventurers of the future. Unfortunately, the world has changed quite a bit in five centuries.

Our hapless party tries to figure out whats happening, and eventually get to the bottom of things. Fairly good with a novel premise.
Shelby
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won Sleeping Dragon from a Goodreads Giveaway and fully expected mediocre work. I thought for sure that the modern protagonists would be a rag tag bunch of stereotypical D&D players in the current day. While that had potential to be hilarious, if eye-rolling, the world built by the author was a pleasant surprise. Sleeping dragon is set in a sort of alternate present or future where everything we know as technology is run by magic. The characters are definitely under dogs of a sort, but not tot ...more
Hiu Gregg
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Sleeping Dragon is a comedic fantasy novel which plays with the tropes and assumptions that come with the fantasy genre in clever and amusing ways.

While it has become almost a bit of a cliché for the magic in fantasy worlds to “fade away” before reaching modern times, The Sleeping Dragon does the opposite. It imagines a modern world where magic is very much alive and kicking, and is used to fuel the technology of the time. Cars, televisions, mobile phones… they all have their magical equival
Mary
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this through Goodreads. I enjoy fantasy novels and this is a good one. The author has put a twist or two to keep one's interest. It's a good read. Enjoy.
John Breakwell
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I first bumped into Jonny Nexus at Dragonmeet way back in 2008. “Game Night? Sure, I’ll buy a copy.” Looking at the spider scrawl inside, I appear to have asked for a dedication for Sue so I could make the book a Christmas present.
Roll on to Dragonmeet 2015. “If Pigs Could Fly? Sure, I’ll buy a copy.” Squinting at the dedication, this time it’s made out to me. I must have learned from last time.
Dragonmeet 2018 comes around, like the well-oiled machine that it is. Jonny sidles up and asks “fancy
Michael Carter
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going beyond the game

Recently, there have been many popular stories set on a modern world that includes magic, from Harry Potter to the Dresden Files. All of these, however, seem to take our world and add magic to it. In the manaverse which Jonny Nexus sets his latest book, he instead takes a medieval fantasy world and builds a modern society grown from it's magical inheritance. So magic doesn't just replace modern science, it IS modern science.

In the days of knights and dragons, you easily knew
Owen Burke
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reluctant Heroes have great responsibility thrust upon them in this Fantasy / Sci-Fi classic!

Love rollicking fantasy adventures with engaging, dynamic characters? Check.
Love spiraling sci-fi romps with more twists than your average Maze-runner? Check.
Love when your DM wildly extrapolates his weekly D&D scenario into a fevered mixed Fantasy/Sci-Fi progeniture gone horribly right? Check.
A Warrior (or the futuristic Sports equivalent), A Wizard (slash genius, slash suspended magical practitioner),
Ben Walmisley
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this quite a bit. The world needs heroes - only problem is the society has gone a bit self absorbed... I look forward to seeing what this author does in the future.
Helle
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all: I received a free advanced copy, so I might be a little bit biased.
But: The Sleeping Dragon is an utterly and truly enjoyable book, the world building is fantastic and imaginative. So, what is happening in The Sleeping Dragon?
Once upon a time there were real heroes, who knew what they were doing, who trained their whole life to become a hero. But this is not their story. This is the story of five unlikely and probably unsung heroes. They are thrown together in a typical role playi
Ann-Marie
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I was prepared to absolutely hate "The Sleeping Dragon," because the author's name, Jonny Nexus is so fake sounding. I mean, if you can't even come up with a good pseudonym , how can you write a good adventure novel spoof?

I am chastened. This person, (construct, hamster, team, whatever), has delighted me with a tale that kept me engaged from the beginning. I loved the characters, enjoyed the situation they found themselves thrown into, and laughed out loud several times.

The endi
Sarah Ehinger
A classic swords and wizardry tale with magically, modern upgrades. I enjoyed the take on the evolution of adventure parties into the future that this story used as a setting. I was disappointed that several main characters were only marginally developed through the story, such as the cleric, but the focus characters had nice back stories.
Danny Dyche
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like this book. One minor criticism I have is that it switches between imperial and metric units. I received a free advance copy from the author.
Kirsty
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
As soon as I read the blurb of this book I knew it was for me. A group of characters that are instantly intriguing and a small glimpse of another world. Not to mention the cover, yes I know, don’t judge a book and all that, but seriously, look at it. Almost sci-fi esque but make no mistake, this is a true fantasy novel.

The Prologue

It’s short and sweet but gives the story a perfect set up. I really liked the characters that you meet in the prologue, maybe there is hope of seeing them in a future
David Harvey
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been looking forward to a new book by Jonny Nexus, who made me chortle with Gamenight, his Olympian table top RPG parody, and his well meaning investigators of the supernatural in When Pigs Fly, and I'm pleased to say that this isn't a disappointment.
Set in an industrialised magical world 500 years on from times of high fantasy our reluctant heroes, who start as amusing urban fantasy parodies of the classic adventuring party (The fighter an arena sports star, the bard a glam rock icon, the
Sue Gill
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! A wry take on the fantasy quest genre, self aware and funny.
A modern world where all technology is driven by magic makes the background for this adventure. We see how the traditional roles of wizard, bard, rogue, cleric and warrior might be filled by the modern denizens.
Heav
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the dog!

Yes you read that right it was the premise of a talking dog and dragon that piqued my interest, but also no dragons
Alexis Bryant
As the best and most importantly a couple hours in even
Cathy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting, fun read. Reminded me of Terry Pratchett's style a bit.
Marcin S
Apr 06, 2019

• The Seven Last Words
  • No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ's Passion
  • The Hiddenness of God
  • Walpurgis III (Birthright #3)
  • Celtic Mythology: A Concise Guide to the Gods, Sagas and Beliefs
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Jaffle Inc
  • The Old Man and the Void
  • Counterfeit Christs : Finding the Real Jesus Among the Impostors
  • Deathworld 1 (Deathworld, #1)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • Dream Stalker (Talented, #1)
I'm a Lancashire based IT guy who moonlights as a writer in my spare time. When not doing that, I spend time with my wife, daughter and dog; read; watch TV, films and the occasional work of theatre; and engage in intermittent bouts of extremely bad roleplaying.

I began my writing career by launching the cult gaming webzine Critical Miss (criticalmiss.com), before moving on to write regular columns