Start by marking “The Slightly Alarming Tale of the Whispering Wars (Kingdoms & Empires, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Slightly Alarming Tale of the Whispering Wars (Kingdoms & Empires, #2)

The Slightly Alarming Tale of the Whispering Wars

(Kingdoms and Empires #2)

An enchanting and whimsical spell-filled fantasy novel from Jaclyn Moriarty, the highly-acclaimed author of The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone and the award-winning author of Feeling Sorry for Celia and A Corner of White, suitable for readers who loved A Most Magical Girl

I was taken by Whisperers at 2pm, so I never pulled the lever for the laundry
Published November 1st 2018 by Allen & Unwin Children's

To ask other readers questions about The Slightly Alarming Tale of the Whispering Wars, please sign up.
Cassandra Bronte is a minor character. (It's also set a wee while before Bronte's story)

I haven't read The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte…more
Bronte is a minor character. (It's also set a wee while before Bronte's story)

I haven't read The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone yet, so I can happily say that The Slightly Alarming Tale ... is perfectly good as a standalone, I thoroughly enjoyed it.(less)

Kerri Duff
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love these books so much! Jaclyn Moriarty has this incredible way of writing, it's fun and easy to read but there's also some much going on. The plots are original and veer in unexpected directions, the characters are brilliant and engaging - this really is a brilliant book and a wonderful follow up to one my favourite books, The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone.
Also, the illustrations by Kelly Canby are such a beautiful part of the book, I loved turning to a full page
Trisha
Update. I wrote about this at my blog, Trish Talks Texts, in the same review as Lenny's Book of Everything.

I find it difficult to explain how much I love this author's writing.

Her books are complicated, witty and never talk down to children.

Makes me want to go back to Bronte and re-read.

Loved this a lot.
Megan Maurice
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So magical and beautiful! I love all of Jaclyn Moriarty’s books and this one was no exception. I loved the way it was part of the world of the previous Kingdoms and Empires book and brought us some of the great characters from that book, while also telling a completely new story and introducing a wonderful cast of new characters. It also has so much of the author’s characteristic humour and I had so many laugh out loud moments while reading it.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seventeen children have disappeared from Spindrift, thousands of children across the Kingdoms and Empires. The town of Spindrift resides within the Kingdom of Gusts, Gales, Squalls and Violent Storms, each year children within the Kingdom participating in the Spindrift Tournament for prestige, including the children of the Orphanage, reigning defenders of the tournament. Brathelthwaite Boarding School are competing in the tournament, the privileged students and conceited headmaster believe victo ...more
Philippa (Tea in the Treetops)
Jaclyn Moriarty delivers again with another whimsical adventure set in the world of Kingdoms and Empires. While it could be enjoyed as a standalone novel, this is best read after finishing its predecessor due to a smattering of cameos and events that featured in the first book.

Set at the beginning of the Whispering Wars in the town of Spindrift, the story alternates between two protagonists, Finlay and Honey Bee. These children are from two rival schools – the Orphanage School (Finlay) and Brath
Karyn Silverman
Slightly alarming and thoroughly delightful, with a side of serious, pretending to be light. Love Moriarty, and love the crazy kingdoms she has created.
Erin
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Enjoyed this just as much as nevermoor. This one is a bit more accessible to younger students though I think.
Victoria
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entirely brilliant book. Borrowed it from the library for my son and he insisted I read it afterwards. Very glad I did. Thinking that I must read more children's literature this year.
Emilee
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, whimsical, and entertaining, this new tale in this world is an excellent entry from Moriarty!!
Kim
Jaclyn Moriarty is probably one of the best Australian authors currently being published. I first read Feeling Sorry for Celia in 2001 and I've been following Moriarty's work ever since. Her move to children's books just feels so right — there's always been a whimsical, magical quality to her work and it works so well with children's books, particularly children's fantasy.

The Slightly Alarming Tales of the Whispering Wars is the second installment of the Kingdoms and Empires series, set about 15
Warwick Stubbs
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE LISTENER & READER REVIEW

My Partner (the listener):
I had this read to me by my partner and found it to be a thoroughly entertaining book! A good read for young adults and adults who are children at heart. It had a great mix of drama, suspense, feel good and laugh-out-loud moments from the great dialogue written through the child characters' eyes. It didn't bother me that the "end" was continuing to be explained because at least it wrapped it all up, and tied up all the loose ends. 4/5

Me (
Kylie Purdie
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This is one of the Australian Children's Book Council 2019 shortlisted younger reader books.

The second of the books on the list this year that is fairly hefty! Running to over 500 pages, I think some children would be intimidated by it. One the plus side, if they are willing to tackle it, it's a pretty good read.

Moriarty provides plenty of wonderful characters for her readers. What's more, they are clever and funny. I did think it was a bit long though. At times I wanted her to just get on with
Caspette
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful follow up to the book “ Extremely inconvenient adventures of bronte mettlestone”. This story is set during the time before the first book, during the start of The Whispering Wars.

This story follows a new group of kids as they deal with war breaking out and the changes it wrecks on their lives and community. The main narrators are Finlay and Honey Bee, two kids from opposite ends of the social spectrum (one being poor and the other rich). The two learn to over come their differences a
Munro's Kids
This was so supremely up my alley that I considered giving it 4 stars to be "objective". But screw that - this was a joyous and satisfying read for me. Quirky, humorous children's fantasy is hard to pull off well - there is a lot of overly precious nonsense out there - but Moriarty sets a high standard for the genre. The Whispering Wars is less purely funny than Bronte Mettlestone, but its narrative is stronger overall and its ending much less rushed and haphazard. As a companion of sorts to Bro ...more
Alicia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I swear, there is no author who writes such consistently charming books as Jaclyn Moriarty. This is a follow-up to Bronte Mettlestone, set fifteen years earlier (but featuring several familiar characters). It's the same sort of hilarious, sweet, and action packed story, narrated in turns by a boy from the local orphanage and a girl from the local ritzy boarding school, who . . . Well, that would be a spoiler. Suffice it to say there are adventures and magi
AD
Another great magical adventure for kids. I think this stands alone without having read book 1 (Bronte doesn’t even appear until about 100 pages in!) but you should definitely read book 1 anyway because it’s great! I love Moriarty’s tone in these stories, with her dry humour. Highly recommend!
Charlotte
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good.
I like the way Bronte is in this story along with Alejandro from the first kingdoms and empires book!
Leone
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fabulously entertaining. As I read, I could hear the words being spoken. Just beautiful and full of charm and whimsy. Wonderful
Alice
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book
Sherry Mackay
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first one, but still a fun read.
Gill
Apr 13, 2019
Alison Cunningham
Jun 21, 2019
Judy
rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2019
Cassandra
Mar 31, 2019
Annie Munster
Jun 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jaclyn Moriarty is an Australian writer of young adult literature.

She studied English at the University of Sydney, and law at Yale University and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where she was awarded a PhD.

She is the younger sister of Liane Moriarty. She was previously married to Canadian writer Colin McAdam, and has a son, Charlie. She currently lives in Sydney.

Kingdoms and Empires (2 books)
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
“It's tricky being shy. You blame yourself for it, and other people blame you too.” 3 likes