Start by marking “I Owe You One” as Want to Read:

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  14,582 ratings  ·  2,414 reviews
The irresistible new standalone from Sophie Kinsella is a story of love, empowerment and an IOU that changes everything . . .

Fixie Farr can’t help herself. Straightening a crooked object, removing a barely-there stain, helping out a friend . . . she just has to put things right. It’s how she got her nickname, after all.

So when a handsome stranger in a coffee shop asks her
Published February 7th 2019 by Bantam Press (first published February 5th 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 25, 2019
    Enter to win one of ten copies of I OWE YOU ONE by Sophie Kinsella, in paperback 6/25!

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • “A gem of a novel.”—Jodi Picoult, #

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 7982 people requesting

Giveaway dates: May 15 - Jun 14, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about I Owe You One, please sign up.
    Carol There's no explicit sex in terms of much description, but what there is appears way too casual for me. Going from one sex partner to the other within…moreThere's no explicit sex in terms of much description, but what there is appears way too casual for me. Going from one sex partner to the other within a couple of days is not something I would want my child to aspire to. And there's no profanity UNLESS you count the 'F' word.
    (less)

·  14,582 ratings  ·  2,414 reviews

Meredith
    Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    *Sigh*

This review is difficult to write. I adore Sophie Kinsella’s books for many reasons. Unfortunately, I found I Owe You One to be a letdown.

I had an issue with the characters, the plot, and the romance.

I started off reading with an eye roll with the introduction of Fixie and her cliched nickname. Right away, I knew something was off. I would have appreciated something a little bit more clever and nuanced than a character who is defined by a stupid nickname. Fixie’s character annoyed me i
    Kaceey
    Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
    3.75*
    If there is one word to sum this book up with, it would be...“cute”!

Fixie matches her name perfectly. She has an intense drive to always fix something if she feels it’s out of place. An itch that unless scratched will dive her crazy. Sometimes this obsession will get her in way over her head.

Sitting in a coffee shop she saves a strangers lap-top from a sudden rush of water seeping from a collapsed ceiling. Which introduces Fixie to the lap-tops’ owner, Sebastian. He’s so grateful he immedi
    Katie B
    I've read most of Sophie Kinsella's novels (even some that she wrote under the name Madeleine Wickham) and this one ranks right near the top. It really seemed to showcase all the things I have previously loved in her books but yet also didn't feel something I have read countless times before. The main character clicked with me and I enjoyed her interactions with her family and love interest.

Fixie Farr has always tried to follow her late father's wishes with putting family first. But why
    Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
    DNF at 25%: This is the third Sophie Kinsella book that I've DNFd, so I think it is officially time to call it quits on her books. She clearly is just not for me. Womp :(
    Chelsea Humphrey
    All of the snow we've been hit with recently has given me the opportunity to read like a mad woman, so I've been flying through my NetGalley backlist in hopes of keeping up with my arc schedule. I'm not sure if reading The Lost Man by Jane Harper has put me in a slump, but I've been finding it difficult to get into a new book and enjoy it from beginning to end. Perhaps it's my growing sense of noticing the little things I was previously able to overlook, or maybe it's just the fact that I'm need ...more
    Theresa Alan
    Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I’ve read enough books by Sophie Kinsella to know that the main character, whose nickname is Fixie because she’s always trying to fix other people and situations, will eventually have character growth. In Fixie's case, she lets her family and a man she’s been crushed out over since she was ten years old walk all over her. Even though I had faith she’d grow a backbone at some point, it was still hard to read all the ways she’s refuses to see things clearly or speak up for herself.

One of the thin
    Berit☀️✨
    Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019, arc
    A fun escapist read full of whimsy and charm!

This book was quintessential Sophie Kinsella! Full of fun flawed realistic characters, wity dialogue, and loads of humor... I can always count on a Kinsella book to take me away for a few fun hours, make me feel good and induce me into laughter until tears are coming down my face, and this book was no exception... sophie’s books never take themselves too seriously and are full of many laugh out loud moments... warning: don’t pick this up unless you h
    Kendall
    Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    I have been wary of trying this author because I've heard mixed reviews on all of her books. I decided to take a chance on this new novel and it didn't turn out the way I hoped.

Where do I start with this novel? This really was a bit of a mess.

Should I begin with Fixie's character? Wow... talk about annoying, having men walk all over her, and making ridiculous decisions because she's so blinded with wanting a man that badly?

Fixie is a character that tries to "fix" everyone but yet she is such a
    Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
    Sophie Kinsella is like book comfort food for me.

In my early twenties, I read every book as it came out, and I can remember where and when I read them. They are fun and funny and always have lovable characters you come to know as friends.

In recent years, Kinsella has added an emotional edge to her stories crossing over more into domestic fiction than rom com, and I’ve enjoyed that adventure, too. So where did I Owe You One measure up?

Fixie is the main character, and her motto is “family first.
    Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
    ”I learned that failing doesn't mean you are a failure;
    it just means you're a human being.”

Story 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
    Fixing stuff is something Fixie loves to do. Sometimes it even feels like she needs to do it or else she’ll go crazy.
    So she fixes things. Immediately and as good as she can.
    One day she saves a laptop from being destroyed and the owner - Sebastian - is thanking her and telling her “I owe you one - Anything.”
    She waves it off, but one day she does need something that Seb could help with.
    But a
    Heather
    Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    As always I had such a fun time reading Kinsella's books! They make me laugh on more than one occasion and always make me swoon with romance.
    I owe you one wasnt one of my favorite of hers strictly because the majority of the characters made me so upset with their actions and words to Fixie. I wanted Fixie to stand up for herself and say what she truly meant, we did get that but I feel like it was to late in the novel.
    Overall I did enjoy this book. Fixie was a well rounded character who you cou
    Kelly (and the Book Boar)
    Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I just realized that the only Sophie Kinsella book I read before this is My Not So Perfect Life. I think I always have the intention of reading at least the first in the Shopaholic series, but then never get around to it. Nevertheless, as soon as I saw this on NetGalley I wanted to read it. Partially because my one experience with this author was a good one, but mainly because . . . . .

I have a massive girl crush on Isla Fisher and I
    Carrie
    Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    I am a newer fan to Sophie Kinsella's work but having loved all of the books I've had the chance to read so far I was really looking forward to I Owe You One. Unfortunately though this contemporary romance just really didn't live up to what I've come to know and expect from this author.

At the center of this story is Fixie Farr, and I was willing to try not to roll my eyes every time I read her name and give this book a fair shot. Fixie has gotten her nickname due to the fact that she likes to fi
    Susanne  Strong
    3.25 Stars* (rounded down)

It’s Fixie or Forget it!

Fixie Farr is a gal who needs everything to be perfect. Whenever something is out of place she freaks. Truthfully, Fixie’s anxiety gave me a tiny bit of agita, I wanted to tell her to breathe, relax and let her know that everything would be alright.

The thing about Fixie is that she never ever puts herself first. Since childhood, the motto “Family First” has been ingrained into her, thus that is how she lives her life - even though no one else in
    “Family is it, Fixie. Family is what drives us. Family is everything.”
    How many times have we heard this? Although I agree with the sentiment of “family first”, I also agree that we each need to be aware of how family relationships impact our health and functioning. This is the overall theme I took away from I Owe You One, and it's a good one. Family often represents that place we can come home to no matter where we are, but when family isn't a safe space to be in, it can get real ugly fast.
    Mark
    Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Hey, when I used to be a ‘nornal’ reader 😃 ie prob read a book every so many weeks, I had a few authors I was fiercely loyal to and didnt really stray too far from them, Sophie Kinsellsa was one ( I started to read her books as our neighbours daughter had been in the same class at school ) I really loved her books and even now when I see the hardback ‘Shopaholic’series on my shelves they bring a smile, like a memory of a good time from the past......so it was with interest, now my reading habits
    Umut Reviews
    This was one of my most anticipated releases this year. I read all Kinsella books, and I love her as a contemporary writer. Her books just warm my heart and take me to another world.
    This one is a bit tricky. I really didn't like the beginning, but later on it felt like more Kinsella style. Witty, fun, and more creative even with chick lit romance.
    I thought the details at the beginning about the side characters and time spent for them was too much, as they were quite unlikeable too. I don't have
    Fafa's Book Corner
    Mini review:

DNF

Trigger warning: Abuse of power and authority. Making someone feel small. Ceiling falling on top off someone’s head.

I received this E-ARC via Random House Publishing Group and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I was really looking forward to reading this! I have enjoyed Kinsella’s books in the past. Unfortunately I didn’t like it.

I really liked Fixie! I simply didn’t care for anyone else. Nor did I care for the story. As I read on I started to get bored and was pulled
    Zoe
    Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Sweet, comical, and delightfully uplifting!

I Owe You One is a charming, heartwarming read that takes us into the life of the thoughtful Fixie Farr as she struggles to keep her family’s home goods shop thriving while juggling an on-again/off-again relationship with her high school crush, two overbearing, older siblings, and a back-and-forth IOU with a handsome businessman.

The prose is well turned and light. The characters, including all the supporting characters, are unique, amusing and reliable.
    Gabby
    This book was okay. I’ve only ever read Finding Audrey by this author and I remember disliking that book, but this one was a little better. This book was cute, and I thought Fixie’s family and their shop was cute, but this book didn’t have anything memorable for me, and I feel like it’s way too long of a book. I think Sophie Kinsella has a habit of over-writing if you know what I mean.. I just am not interested in thaaaaat much detail.

Idk I thought this story was cute but I don’t think this aut
    Obsidian
    Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The main reason why I didn't give this five stars is that Fixie bugged me up until almost the 50 percent mark of this book. She was a pushover and I noticed that both times she got swept up in a man, that's all that mattered. I also thought the ending was a bit weak with the mother not being informed about all that went on. I think that would have been better going forward for the family. Maybe there should have been an epilogue of six months later or something.

"I Owe You One" follows Fixie Far
    Pauline
    Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    I have read and enjoyed all of Sophie Kinsella's books and I was delighted to receive a copy of her new book I Owe You One.
    The story is about Fixie who has been infatuated by Ryan since she was ten years old. She works in her family's shop and still lives with her mother.
    Fixie is a character that I could not connect with and unfortunately I didn't find the story as amusing as the previous books by this author.
    Thank you to NetGalley and Random House UK, Transworld Publishers for my e-copy in exch
    Kristy
    Fixie Farr's family runs Farrs, a hardwares store. Technically, it's more like Fixie and her mom run the store, while Fixie's older brother, Jake, and sister, Nicole, flit in and out, doing their own thing. Fixie has always been intimidated by her siblings. Jake is pursuing his MBA and prefers the posh side of life; he's always after one business deal or another. Nicole, recently married, lives at home while her husband works abroad. Fixie lives by the motto of "Family First," ingrained in her b ...more
    Kathleen
    Of the several books written by Sophie Kinsella that I have read, this one is my favourite.
    I like Fixie and her mother who seem normal and sensible, but find Ryan, Jake and Nicole self centred. Fixie Farr has always lived by her father's motto: "Family first", but her brother and sister really test this motto when their mother goes to Spain for health reasons and leaves the three siblings to manage the family business.
    When Fixie saves a man's computer, he writes her an "I owe you one" on a cof
    Irena
    Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    For the last three years in a row, Sophie Kinsella puts a smile on my face every time I finish her newest book. I mean, there is a reason why she’s my favourite author, but I have to admit, I wasn’t in love with every book she ever wrote.
    However, ever since she published My Not So Perfect Life it’s like we’re on a happy train and we’re not getting off. Every book she writes is pure perfection, and I Owe You One is one of those treasures.

The thing is, when you read a book by your favourite author
    Jennifer Kyle
    Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    4.25 Stars!
    KP
    Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: maybe, arc
    Sophie Kinsella has a formula for her books:

Step 1: The heroine. She’s an exceeding accomplished doormat and/or highly stupid.

Step 2: She excels at being doormatty and stupid and things don’t go well for her. She’s surrounded by clichéd obnoxious humans.

Step 3: She has this huge epiphany and she changes and magically alters the entire character and behaviour of people (the said obnoxious ones) around her, overnight.

Step 4: She gets the guy and there’s a happily ever after.

In the meanwhile (befor
    Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
    4.5 Stars

Full Review on The Candid Cover

I Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella is everything I hope for in a contemporary novel. The characters are quirky and flawed, and the concept is super unique. The family theme in the book is also enjoyable to read about.

If there is something that I have come to expect from Kinsella’s writing, it is her eccentric characters. I love all of the characters in I Owe You One, even the side characters are lots of fun. Fixie is a perfect narrator for the book and her f
    Amy-GallivantingPages
    ***4 Stars***

Ahhh... I just love Sophie Kinsella and her writing. Having read a couple of the Shopaholic series and with a few of her other books on my TBR list, I was thrilled when NetGalley and Random House Publishing allowed me an ARC of "I Owe You One" her latest book with expected publication on Feb 5, 2019.
    In regular Sophie style, this does not disappoint. Fixie Farr, (very cliché nickname for, surprise, someone who likes to fix things) is a doormat. She's weak and annoying; at the beginni
    Jamie
    Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs
    4.5 adorable stars to Fixie Farr! Review to come!
    Play Book Tag: I Owe You One, by Sophie Kinsella- 3 Guilty Pleasure Stars 2 18 Feb 26, 2019 09:53AM

• Mrs. Everything
    • Meet Cute
    • How to Hack a Heartbreak
    • Bridal Boot Camp (Little Bridge Island, #0.5)
    • The Wedding Party
    • The Rosie Result (Don Tillman, #3)
    • The Girl He Used to Know
    • The Rest of the Story
    • California Girls
    • Fix Her Up (Hot and Hammered #1)
    • More Than Words
    • Fumbled (Playbook, #2)
    • The Unhoneymooners
    • 99 Percent Mine
    • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
    • Things You Save in a Fire
    • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
    • Sunset Beach
    Sophie Kinsella has sold over 40 million copies of her books in more than 60 countries, and she has been translated into over 40 languages.

Sophie Kinsella first hit the UK bestseller lists in September 2000 with her first novel in the Shopaholic series – The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic (also published as Confessions of a Shopaholic). The book’s heroine, Becky Bloomwood – a fun and feisty fin
    “I learned that failing doesn't mean you are a failure; it just means you're a human being.” 3 likes
    “But what can you do about mistakes except think, Won't do that again, and move forward?” 2 likes