Start by marking “See the Light” as Want to Read:
See the Light

See the Light

Kate McMurray brings friends-to-lovers to the Great White Way

Up-and-coming Broadway actor Jeremy was given two days to get up and get out. Dumped by his long-term boyfriend and suddenly homeless, he needs a sofa and a sympathetic ear, stat.

Enter Max, aspiring makeup artist and Jeremy’s BFF and former roommate.

Max has been in love with his best friend forever. Now that Jer
Published January 28th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about See the Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about See the Light

Calila
Received ARC via Netgalley

This is a nice read. It's fun. It's happy for the most part. It's relatively fluffy (despite the beginning). The characters are mostly likable. They're both pretty well adjusted successful adults living their lives. There's nothing objectionable. Nothing major anyway. I just feel like "the book" expected me to feel one way about things and I felt the opposite. I think I'm supposed to feel like Jeremy is a dense unobservant jerk who takes Max for granted but I don't. I f
Truuss
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2019
3.5 stars Jeremy and Max

Both creative artists, only in different disciplines. A make up artist and a musical star.

“You ever think about us as more than friends?”

Since they were young they were best friends. Max always had feelings for Jer... After Jeremy had a break up with his boyfriend he ask Max if he can crash on his couch...
When they start something more... Max almost can’t believe it... after all these years...
And that fact is also what withhold him... he is so afraid to lose Jer.
So afrai
CrabbyPatty
"See the Light" started out strong for me - best friends-to-lovers? Check. Theatre setting? An enthusiastic check! A behind-the-scenes feel of life as a Broadway actor? Yup, sign me up!

But, then around the middle of the book, I just could not get past the rampant lack of communication from Max and his total unwillingness to pull his head out of his arse. I can see how Max is having a hard time switching from unrequited love to having a relationship with Jeremy, and how Max is stuck in the mire o
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I really enjoyed this story. Kate McMurray has a way of creating characters that are memorable—not because they are perfect, but because they are flawed.

In this instance, Jeremy and his best friend, Max, grew up in New Jersey and took advantage of their proximity to Broadway to indulge in their favorite activity—going to musicals. Actually, Max’s favorite activity was watching Jeremy enjoy the shows. His beautiful face would light up and he’d become entranced with the action, while Max enjoyed
Dumbledore11214
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance, theater
Natalie
Jan 16, 2019 marked it as just-not-for-me
30% Too much theatre detail for me, felt like info dump sometimes. The couple has already worn my non-communication nerve down. Doesn’t hold my interest.
Annie
3.5 stars- Rocky middle, but good read overall

See the Light is a standalone best friends-to-lovers romance. I always have a soft spot for this trope, so I went in really excited and hopeful for an upbeat book chock full of chemistry. To some extent I got that, but this one didn’t quite grab me as much as I’d expected.

See the Light starts off really strong, with childhood best friends unexpectedly sharing a studio apartment following a sudden break-up. I liked both characters immediately and lov
Joyfully Jay
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Any fan of musicals will appreciate this book. McMurray does an amazing job of bringing the show to life as a secondary character and using it to highlight the relationship between Max and Jeremy. I enjoyed seeing the parallels and watching as the show came together.

I’m a sucker for friends to lovers, and that’s the reason I picked up this book. Especially when one character has been in love with the other for so long. These two guys really are perfect together, and
Pjm12
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable best-friends-to-lovers story set against a theatre backdrop. Jeremy is about to give up his dreams to become a Broadway sensation, and it hasn't helped that his boyfriend has dumped him and kicked him out.

We also get Max's point of view - best friend who generously lets Jeremy sleep on his couch. Jeremy is somewhat oblivious to how besotted Max is with him, but we get to get to see all of Max's longings and resignation about any future with Jeremy.

It's all very sweet. Both bo
Roberta Blablanski
I enjoyed this Broadway-focused, friends-to-lovers romance. I learned a lot about the behind the scenes ins and outs of Broadway while getting lost in the slow burn romance between Jeremy and Max. I appreciated that this story wasn't an information dump, but seamlessly incorporated the characters' jobs and interests. Max was my favorite of the two, by far, and he makes some pretty tough decisions. He's so sweet and unaware of his effect on Jeremy. Though Jeremy is late to the party, no thanks to ...more
Kaila
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was sassy and sweet. it was fun and interesting. it was all around a good story. i enjoyed it.. the story had a decent plot.. it was an easy going read.. and it was all together a sweet story to read. i enjoyed characters.
Shirley
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I glanced at a couple of reviews of See the Light, I noticed that some people were overwhelmed by all the “shop talk” about theater. For the record, I kinda enjoyed that aspect. I love learning new things about people, professions, cultures, places, lifestyles… it’s one of the reasons why my reading is so eclectic.

Now, on to Max and Jeremy. As brilliant, talented and confidant as he was when it came to his as he was when it came to his art, Max had absolutely no self confidence when it came
Sandy S
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars--SEE THE LIGHT by Kate McMurray is a contemporary, adult, M/M erotic, romance story line focusing on twenty-eight year olds, Broadway actor, singer and dancer Jeremy Reynolds, and makeup artist Max Meyer.

NOTE: SEE THE LIGHT contains scenes of M/M sexual situations that may not be suitable for all readers.

Told from dual third person perspectives (Jeremy and Max) SEE THE LIGHT follows the friends to lovers relationship between Broadway actor, singer and dancer Jeremy Reynolds, and makeup
ButtonsMom2003
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Friends to Lovers; one of my favorite romance tropes.

I loved this new book by Kate McMurray. See the Light is a great friends-to-lovers story with just the right amount of angst.

Max and Jeremy have been best friends for years. Both of them have careers connected to the theater. Max has a thriving business doing make-up for Broadway shows and he isn't afraid to flaunt his personal style. Jeremy loves doing musical theater and is just waiting for his big break and get the lead in a Broadway show.

M
Deborah
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a best friends to lovers romance, one that I normally get into. I was hoping for a fun read with the required amount of angst these stories are known for. Sadly, I did not get what I was expecting.

After an unexpected break up, best friends are bunking together. You could see Max struggling with having Jeremy so close, but Jeremy was kind of clueless. You understand the set up rather quick. I liked both of them and the jobs they held-make up artist and Broadway show actor. They were very
Shelley Chastagner
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for this friends to lovers romance. This was a super slooooow burn. It wasn't until a third of the way into the book before these two even share a kiss. There is tons of background and insight into their jobs. I applauded Max for being brave enough to speak up, but his inability to grab ahold of the happiness Jeremy is offering frustrated me. Jeremy's honesty was refreshing. He didn't hold back on what he was feeling until Max pulled away and threw up roadblocks. The ending was really ...more
Jess
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Kobie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just finished it and loved it...was surprised by low rating...and then remembered being a bit frustrated around 76%. Good parts are great...so much fun theater. The frustrating part wasn't a show stopper for me.
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
krick
Feb 03, 2019
Joey
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friends to lovers is my jammy jam. I love it when two people can take the leap and set their friendship on fire. It took these two a little bit to find their way but it was so worth the wait.
Jennifer Y.
Feb 02, 2019
Kat E.
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friends to lovers story that will not disappoint. Max was a sweetie that definitely suffered from a lack of self esteem. He has loved Jeremy his best friend for years. Jeremy took a while to realize he had feelings for Max and then had to reassure Max he was not just a rebound. Misunderstandings abound but not heavy on the angst. An enjoyable read.
Jeff Adams
Jan 22, 2019
Marisa
Feb 19, 2019
Azaaliah
Mar 01, 2019
Kate McMurray writes smart romantic fiction. She likes creating stories that are brainy, funny, and of course sexy, with regular guy characters and urban sensibilities. She advocates for romance stories by and for everyone. When she’s not writing, she edits textbooks, watches baseball, plays violin, crafts things out of yarn, and wears a lot of cute dresses. She’s active in Romance Writers of Amer ...more