Start by marking “Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)” as Want to Read:
Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)

Not Dead Yet

(Not Dead Yet #1)

Dying isn’t what it used to be.

Wes Cooper was dead. Then he wasn’t—though he’s not exactly alive, either. As an immortal not-ghost, he can transition between this world and the otherplane, which makes him the perfect thief for hire. For seventy years he’s made a “living” returning items to their rightful owners, seeing his fair share of the bizarre in the process. But he
Published February 4th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Not Dead Yet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Dead Yet

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Though not my usual type of read, Not Dead Yet was a very, very solid paranormal mystery romance, and I had a hard time putting it down.

I'm not a mystery lover, but if well-written mysteries mixed with a ton of paranormal goodies are your thing, you're going to be in love with this one.

The romance is a second-chance romance, something that is hit-or-miss for me, but I really enjoyed it here. I have a thing for gruff MCs, so the grumpy Rojas worked for me. I understood him as a character, and I
Kaje Harper
I'm a sucker for imaginative paranormal mysteries, and appealing gay main characters; Jenn Burke delivers both. With the added bonus of one MC apparently being demisexual.

Wes Cooper died young, 70 years ago, when his first love with another man ended in disaster. That man had a sister who was a witch, and her attempt to bring Wes back to life worked, mostly. He's living, breathing, flesh and blood, but with a part of him still linked to the otherplane where the dead first go and ghosts linger. A
CrabbyPatty
"Not Dead Yet" is totally not in my wheelhouse, what with all the ghosts, evil spirits and creatures of the night, but I completely adore this book and only after pondering just how to review it do I realize how darn complex it is and what a wonderful job Burke does in creating this world and its characters.

Wes Cooper is a resurrected ghost who is immortal and exists partially in the Otherplane which allows him to transport almost anywhere, which is a skill he uses to steal - oops "recover" - i
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can’t recall the last time a book surprised me as much as this one did. Even more I can’t believe how much fun it was to be surprised.

I had the barest of ideas going in. I’m the worst at reading and retaining what a blurb tells me, well, if I read the blurb at all. I knew this was some sort of ghost story. So,to me, ghost stories are one thing, romances with ghosts are totally another. They always seem to make me feel just so sad. I mean, even when they aren’t supposed to feel that way there
Meep
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural
The idea was interesting, but execution wasn't quite there. DNF at 47 changing status to 'read' I pushed on.

Unfortunately I couldn't connect, slogged through with no wish to resume after putting down.

He might look early twenties but Wes lived through the Depression. He's experienced tough living, lived decades, yet he comes across a fickle club boy avoiding responsibility, which just didn't read as believable to me.
Then Hudson re-appearing after 33yrs, there should be more changes and his whole
Apolishedreader
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My nail art for this book

You know that person who reads all the spoilers, skips to the end of the book, wants to know who won the game before the watch the recording? That is me! Suspense is not my friend. I like to know what I am in for.
That being said, I did not skip to the end of this book. It never even occurred to me. I just read and read and read until I got to the satisfying end.
Hudson is Mr. Grumpypants. I had tears in my eyes by the end of chapter 2 because he played his role so well.
I
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
Today I am here to rave about Jenn Burke’s Not Dead Yet! That book had been on my radar for a while – I eagerly awaited every #1linewed on twitter and gobbled up any bit of information she dropped on the writing process of the series, hoping she’d post another snippet of it. So of course I immediately requested it on NetGalley when I saw it was up on it. I was lucky that I didn’t have to wait long to be approved for it and – not kidding – I dropped everything to immediately start reading. I had ...more
Ami
I admit that I haven't had good experience with this author so far -- but with this book, I'm ready to change my mind. Because Not Dead Yet is a SOLID paranormal mystery romance. Not only that, the romance is a second-chance trope. All of them are exactly the kind of story I'm looking for. And boy, did the story deliver!!

First of all, the paranormal element... I LOVED the unique "twist" of ghost that Jenn Burke offers in this book. Wes Cooper died in 1933 but then he was resurrected with a spell
Caz
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

For some reason, I’ve been gravitating towards paranormal romances lately, most often ones featuring characters involved in law enforcement, which was the immediate appeal of Jenn Burke’s Not Dead Yet.  It’s the first in a new series in which one of the protagonists is, as the title suggests, Not Dead.  Although he’s Not Alive either, which is certainly a unique twist and not something I’ve come across before.  Not Dead Yet is a hugely
Jenn
Nov 07, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
NOT DEAD YET is now available! Yay!

I can't wait for everyone to meet Wes and Hudson. <3
Kathleen
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing

One damn fine story! Well done, Ms. Burke.

Skillful world building, beautifully drawn characters, a realistic/sometimes-rocky reunion after a painful breakup, a great secondary cast, and an exciting, twisty paranormal mystery. I can hardly wait for the second book!
Eli Easton
I ate up this first book in a new paranormal mystery series by Jenn Burke. We have a sort-of-ghost, witches, and other paranormal creatures threaded through an intriguing noir-style mystery and second chance love story. The writing is excellent and sucked me right into the story. I loved both of the male leads. I am anxiously awaiting book two!
Roberta Blablanski
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-for-review, m-m
This is a new to me author and., holy hell, what an amazing story. There isn't one thing I didn't like about it. I was riveted from page one.

This is a paranormal mystery with MM romance thrown into the mix for some spice. It's a tender second chance romance that builds gradually and feels so damn genuine. Add to that the ace rep, and I think I've found a new favorite.

"I couldn't imagine needing to have sex so badly that you'd seek out a random hookup--let alone have a backup reserved."

The myster
Chris, the Dalek King
A thief by any other name…

Wes Cooper has been a “recovery specialist” for a very long time–for nearly as long as he has been not-quite-dead. Killed by a lover in the early 1930’s, and brought back to semi-life by a witch not long after, Wes has been making a living, as it were, recovering objects that don’t rightly belong to their current owners. Being able to move in and out of the spiritual plane without being seen, heard, or noticed in any way has made it the perfect job for Wes. And, for the
Joyfully Jay
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Those of you who read my reviews regularly know I am a sucker for creative world building in my paranormal stories. I am always looking for that little something extra that provides a new and interesting approach, and I have to say that Jenn Burke really delivers with Not Dead Yet. The whole premise is just so engaging; I loved the idea of Wes as a not quite ghost and it leads to so many clever story angles, as well as some really interesting relationship and cha
Dumbledore11214
Eugenia
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely Paranormal Fluff!!

Nothing heavy here for you, my pretties! Enjoy a light police procedural involving a 100 year old twink who’s a not-ghost, some witches, and some other magical beings—I won’t spoil he surprise for you!

I found Wes, our inmortal not-ghost charming but very immature. Our other MC, Hudson is his sexy silver fox of an ex. Talk about second chances here!

It’s light on the sex—just only scene really—but it’s not missed. It’s also light on the paranormal world building, but I’ll
Truuss
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2019
Wes and Hudson

A wonderful mystery paranormal fantasy story, full with emotions and beautiful personalities.
Witt, grump, jests, sweetness and much more... I love second-chance romance and this one was good.

Written in a captivating way. The environments were exquisite. The plot original.

A widely written story with a lot going on. Wes and Hudson were excellent put down, there characters wonderful developed.

Ghosts, vampires, powers, witches, twilight, palpable tension, surprising mystery... and sw
Roberta Blablanski

The myster
Sadie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The plot had layers. The characters had layers. The LAYERS had freaking layers. God, it was so satisfying. I can’t wait for the rest of the series.
Tina
A fast-paced read with an interesting premise and world-building. I knocked off a few stars because I found the romance somewhat problematic, with one of the characters running hot and cold for pretty much the entirety of the book. As a result, when things are at a climax at the end, I found myself not really invested in the outcome, even when the stakes were technically high. My emotional payout as a reader felt shortchanged. I also found the ending to be a bit rushed and slapdash. That being s ...more
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. There were quite a few PNR elements thrown in that I wasn't expecting, but apparently neither was Wes, despite his BFF and long time family friend of the Aster witches, Lexi's warnings.

I also wasn't sure how I would feel about this, dead-not-dead, element, but I didn't need to worry. Jenn did a very good job with it and I liked the aspect of the "otherplane". I did, however, want to shake Hudson for being a prick half the time. Yeah, yeah, he had his reasons, bu
Sam Burns
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book, quite simply, is my genre as I love it. If a thing is modern paranormal or urban fantasy, there's a good chance I'll love it. This goes beyond that. The author has taken some of the well-loved tropes of paranormal romance, but also used some truly unique new angles I've never seen before, and it's a great combination.

I have occasionally been known to be picky about books recommended to me as ace-rep, but I think it's quite well done here. Wes is demi, isn't "cured" of his aceness at a
Christi Snow
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was so creative and unexpected. I truly could not put it down once I began reading it. A great story and an amazing start to a new series. I cannot wait for more!!

So good!
Brown Eyed Girl ~Suzanne~
This was a fun book full of supernatural beings. Wes is a sort of ghost and he happens to see a murder happen. Enter his ex who is a cop, Hudson, who Wes hasn’t seen in 33 years! At first I thought that was crazy! Hudson would be 58 and he appears to be a silver fox but Wes doesn’t age so I was wondering how this would turn out. Good news, there’s a twist which I called while reading this. It makes the story even more interesting.

I don’t know why but I started losing interest after the half way
Maria Rose
Ghosts, Witches and ...Vampires? Oh My! What a fun read! Engaging story with laughs and poignant moments wrapped up in an intriguing murder mystery. Some excellent unexpected surprise twists and a suitable happy ending for a couple getting their second chance, plus some interesting secondary characters. I'm ready for the next book!

A copy of this story was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for review.
Isabelle Adler
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
In case it wasn't clear from me gushing about this book on Twitter, I absolutely loved it!
From the twisty mystery plot, to the engaging and endearing characters, to the poignant second-chance romance - this book will grip you and not let go.
I cannot wait to see what new adventures await Wes and Hudson, and their friends.
Em

One of my most favorite genres - queer paranormal/romantic suspense - is supremely well represented in this brand new series. Yay!

I loved the character development and I was entertained and engaged in this story from start to finish. I didn't know who the villain (villains) were until the very end!

Ms. Burke (a new-to-me author) does a tremendous job building this world without overwhelming her readers. The suspense plot feels organic to the development of the romantic relationship betw
Alisa
This was the first time I've read this author's solo work so I wasn't sure what it would be like. I enjoyed this though. It's a paranormal suspense with unique MC's. I loved that it was a second chance romance. The plot was well done and all of the characters, main couple and side ones, were all entertaining. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

**ARC provided through Netgally in exchange for an honest review.**
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Open for Business (Brandywine Investigations #1-3)
  • Devil Take Me
  • Spring (The Haunted Heart, #2)
  • Dead in the Desert (L.A. Paranormal, #3)
  • Derivation  (Aberrant Magic, #2)
  • Rough Terrain (Out of Uniform #7)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Wild Wild Hex (Hexworld, #3.5)
  • Warlock in Training (Studies in Demonology, #1)
  • The Best Corpse for the Job (Lindenshaw Mysteries, #1)
  • Underhill: A Halloween Story (Tyack & Frayne #8)
  • Charmed and Dangerous
  • To See the Sun
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • The Merchant of Death (Playing the Fool, #2)
  • Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)
  • Barrel Proof (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #3)
Jenn Burke has loved out-of-this-world romance since she first read about heroes and heroines kicking butt and falling in love as a preteen. Now that she’s an author, she couldn’t be happier to bring adventure, romance, and sexy times to her readers.

Jenn is the author of The Gryphon King’s Consort from Dreamspinner Press and the co-author of the critically acclaimed Chaos Station science fiction r

Not Dead Yet (2 books)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)