Start by marking “Heroes: Mortals and Monsters, Quests and Adventures” as Want to Read:
Heroes: Mortals and Monsters, Quests and Adventures

Heroes: Mortals and Monsters, Quests and Adventures

(Stephen Fry's Great Mythology #2)

Mortals and Monsters. Quests and Adventures . . .
There are Heroes - and then there are Greek Heroes.

Few mere mortals have ever embarked on such bold and heart-stirring adventures, overcome myriad monstrous perils, or outwitted scheming vengeful gods, quite as stylishly and triumphantly as Greek heroes.

In this companion to his bestselling Mythos, Stephen Fry brilliantly re
Published November 1st 2018 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Heroes, please sign up.
Roel It is astonishing that sexual references are more frowned upon than the amount of violent content. These are Greek myths and thus, riddled with…moreIt is astonishing that sexual references are more frowned upon than the amount of violent content. These are Greek myths and thus, riddled with murder. It is roughly as appropriate as classic Grimm fairytales are (not the disneyfied versions).(less)
Richio Its as good as certain there will be a 3rd book. Several footnotes refer to certain tales being 'for another time' in the same way "Mythos" hinted at…moreIts as good as certain there will be a 3rd book. Several footnotes refer to certain tales being 'for another time' in the same way "Mythos" hinted at this book, but even more overtly. And the final chapter as good as confirms it.

I expect it will cover the events leading up to the Trojan War, the siege of Troy itself, and the various homecomings, which could easily fill a 400 page book.

This would pretty much cover all of Greek Mythology.(less)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Let me start off by saying that I really enjoyed Mythos, but the second instalment is bitterly disappointing.

Greek mythology is full of so many strange stories and strange people. It’s so rich and wonderful and I really do love reading about it, but it needs detail. Stephen Fry has attempted to make Ancient Greek heroes accessible to readers unfamiliar with them, though all the stories are very, very, brief and it’s their downfall.

Hercales, Perseus and Jason are perhaps the best known of the h
Kaitlin
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My second Stephen Fry mythology book in as many days (I just read Mythos and loved that) and once again it gets 5*s leading me to think maybe I should try some of Fry's other books out. I don't want to say too much more about this other than that it continues where the first book Mythos leaves off and we move from looking at the Gods themselves to looking at the Heroes and Demi-gods and offspring of Gods who are still remembered today.
Stories such as the minataur, Hercules and more. These are a
Sara
When I was a child my favourite movie was Clash of the Titans - the 1981 film with Maggie Smith as Athena and Laurence Olivier as Zeus. Medusa was, and is, the scariest monster I have ever seen on TV and I regularly had to leave my light on when I went to sleep because I thought she was going to come and slither up the stairs and turn me to stone.

Anyway, from a young age I’ve had a healthy obsession with Greek Mythology and I’ve read many, many books on the subject. My favourite story still to
Bradley
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I shall judge this book purely upon whether I was entertained. And I'm happy to announce that I was. :)

Fry's wit and erudition come together nicely to make one of the most accessible accounting of a large handful of Greek Heroes I've had the pleasure to read. Perhaps better than Hamilton, definitely better than Bullfinch, but perhaps not quite as bright as Ovid, these are, however, punctuated with Fry's charmingly dry wit and panache.

And isn't that why we love Fry? Oh, and the tellings of these
Simon
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ancient Myths from a Modern Legend!

This is an audiobook that I simply can't recommend enough. One of British entertainment's legends in Stephen Fry dusts off these ancient tales and breathes a contemporary form of life and colour into them in his own unique style. It's a mixture of description, a little conjecture and of course the lion's share being taken by these grand old tales themselves. They take front and center stage and while Fry cleverly interweaves background and information it never
Netta
Nov 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
To make a long story of cheap soap opera-esque characters who happen to be ancient heroes and gods in Fry's world short, this is an unforgivably mediocre piece of prose.
Claudia
Jan 28, 2019 marked it as not-my-cup-of-coffee  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 20% - does not compare to the first one in the slightest; too many details of no importance, jokes seem forced. Don’t know what happen. Maybe I was not in the right mood? I doubt it tho…

Anyway, huge disappointment
Ana
Stephen Fry is always a delight to read and listen to and, if I’m being honest, I think I enjoyed this one more than Mythos (which was also a 5-star for me, so this one gets an imaginary, but loving “+”!). Fry has a way of making these heroes sound not only very human, but also quite contemporary, and his passion for Greek mythology radiates from every page, so you can forgive his pedantic digressions. I was actually anticipating even more of them.

I might be repeating myself, but Fry is an amazi
Andrea
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mythology
To all the heroes we have never heard of.
Perhaps you are one of them.

Oh how I love this man. He could write anything and I would happily pay money for the privilege of soaking it all up, but the fact that he chose to write, in his unique way, about Greek mythology (a topic that has fascinated ever since my parents first took me to Crete and I got to walk around the "ruins" of Knossos before they became a roped-off tourist attraction) makes me ridiculously happy. Not surprisingly, the story of A
Thomas
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second in Stephen Fry's Greek Myths series, following on from the first installment of Mythos.

Like Mythos, avery fun and enjoyable read. Although it is part of a series it can be read and taken as a stand alone book in my opinion. If anything I enjoyed this a bit more than Mythos. As the title suggests it is a book that focuses on the Heroes of the Greek Myths. Following the likes of Herakles (Hercules), Jason, Theseus, Orpheus and Perseus to name a few.

The stories are brought to life and
Walter VDE
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-f-g
After I read Mythos, I wanted the author to write about the heroes and demi-gods. With this book mr Fry delivered, again. Rumor has it that Mr Fry will tackle the Iliad next. I can't wait :-)
Iva
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Перша за дуже довгий час аудіокнижка, і зразу - в начитці Фрая) Ґуд, коротше

Нелогічно почав із "Героїв", маючи при тому друковані "Міфи".
Та ж навряд програв, бо ці перекази значно ліпші не задля вивчення епосів як таких, але для насолоди діалоговими скетчами, роздумами про те, чому тайминг історії про Едіпа такий довгий етс.
Дуже бадьоро, трохи (попри всі старання) інтерпретивно та неймовірно стисло в деталях на користь гумору.

Пи. Си.: стибрено з Пікабу

Sam Obigbesan
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can probably guess my joy when I found out that there was going to be another book in the mythos “Series” by Steven Fry with the focus shifting from the temperamental and all to often human gods of the Greek pantheon; to the heroes, quests and monster slayings happening all around mythical Greece and the then known world.

I enjoyed every minute of it, the different stories and the sense of an overarching plot the author created. The various heroes had motivations that lead them to do what th
Margaret
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
Stephen's retelling of the myths of Greece's heroes is a delight.

An absolute must for anyone interested in Greek mythology.
Cendaquenta
Maybe not quite as good as Mythos, but I had a fun time.
Roy
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great retelling of these Greek heroes. Fry provides his unique wit with a perfect sense of knowledge. I kind of wished I'd listened to the audiobook version as I believe that may have also been just as enjoyable.
Nyamka Ganni
Oct 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

Mr Stephen Fry reading Heroes! (Live reading excerpt)

He's a wizard!
Thomas Edmund
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was over-excited to pickup Heroes, after thoroughly enjoying 'Mythos' and got a little worried reading the foreword that Fry was getting a little silly with it (he injects a tonne of humour into dialogue) however my fear was misplaced and Heroes was just as good, if not somewhat more enjoyable than Mythos as the tales are more digestible being 'hero-centric'

Some worry that they can't follow the convoluted and complicated character lineages, but Fry's style allows you to enjoy the tales withou
Jo
Fry's second book retelling the Greek myths. This one focusses on the more mortal heroes of old telling the tales of such as Jason and the Golden Fleece and Theseus. As one would expect from Fry, this was excellent and well worth a read.
Angus McKeogh
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just like Mythos. Great stuff! The stories are timeless and entertaining and the writing is superb; and no matter how much I think I know on the subject I find out that I’m actually rather ignorant. Highly recommend this two book series.
Laurence
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I finish Heroes, Stephen Fry mentions a third part in his Greek Myths series about the Trojan War and its aftermath. Looking forward to it.

Have been looking for a good modern retelling of the Greek Myths (just as I was for the Norse Mythology, thanks Neil Gaiman) for some time, and these first two books have certainly scratched that itch. So many stories that I knew pieces of or only the names of which are much clearer now.

Next I'd like a modern retelling of the Egyptian myths in the same s
Natalie
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I liked this one a bit more than Mythos as I feel like there was a better structure. Mythos I felt jumped around a lot, but Heroes is split into each story of the Heroes and it's in chronological order! This made the story easier to follow. Of course there was still a lot of information, but you remember the important stuff.

I will say... Disney had Heracle's story completely wrong. They even spelled his name wrong. My favorite was Atalanta because she was the only girl.

Also, Stephen Fry and his
Victoria
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really really enjoyed this

Fry brings the myths and heroes to life in new and interesting ways, their stories told with humor

Many of the heroes stories I didn't know so it was fun to get insight, while also not being completely bogged down with to many names and faces
Jonna Peltokangas
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”to all the heroes we have never heard of. perhaps you are one of them.”

rsz-img-1114
photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

as with his first book in this series, stephen fry absolutely nails the perfect tone for these myth retellings, he really gives them all his unique flair and wonderfully balances both entertaining and educating the reader. the audiobook narration by fry himself is, again, fantastic and delightful to listen to. my only reason for giving this a lower rating than I gave mythos is simply because I found t
Bay
I cannot express how much I would recommend Stephen Fry's retellings of ancient Greek myths. They are so well written, funny and educating. I learn alot when I read these, not only about the myths, but also a bit about the modern world.
Heroes tells us about the myths of Persius, Oedipus, Theseus and of course Heracles (Hercules) and other heroes (and one heroine). Fry's writing and narrating is just as great as Mythos, but I will say, that this one is not as funny as Mythos. The reason why is b
Katy
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brilliant follow up to Mythos. I wasn’t familiar with many of the Greek heroes in myth and so was very entertained and pleasantly surprised by this collection.

My only criticism is that the timelines and connections between characters and Gods is often too convuluted and quite hard to follow, but I think that is well known about the Greek myths. Well worth a read, Stephen Fry is as enchanting as always.
Emer
Jan 18, 2019 marked it as will-never-read
Shelves: hellas, reviewed
After DNFing the drivel that is Mythos there ain't no way in heck I'm subjecting myself to this and no doubt what will be another simpering mess of banal prose
Amy
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun, accessible, enjoyable, and a bit shallow, perhaps. I think I liked Mythos a bit better, even if this one is more organized.
Agne
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holds up exactly as well as the first one. I didn't really know these stories before, so it was pretty riveting reading. And it is still difficult for me to grasp how MANY different named "characters" Greek mythology accommodates.

Minotaur was strangely touching.
teres
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Audio Collection
  • A Brief History of Life in Victorian Britain
  • Love is Strange
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • La Bête fabuleuse (Lanfeust de Troy #8)
Stephen John Fry is an English comedian, writer, actor, humourist, novelist, poet, columnist, filmmaker, television personality and technophile. As one half of the Fry and Laurie double act with his comedy partner, Hugh Laurie, he has appeared in A Bit of Fry and Laurie and Jeeves and Wooster. He is also famous for his roles in Blackadder and Wilde, and as the host of QI. In addition to writing fo ...more

Stephen Fry's Great Mythology (2 books)
  • Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold
“You see?' said Prometheus. 'It is your fate to be Heracles the hero, burdened with labours, yet it is also your choice. You choose to submit to it. Such is the paradox of living. We willingly accept that we have no will.” 0 likes
“No labour was more Heraclean than the labour of being Heracles.” 0 likes