Start by marking “Poems to Live Your Life By” as Want to Read:
Poems to Live Your Life By

Poems to Live Your Life By

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In Poems to Live Your Life By, Chris Riddell, political cartoonist for the Observer, has selected his very favourite classic and modern poems about life, death and everything in between.

This gorgeously illustrated collection includes forty-six poems and is divided into sections covering: musings, youth, family, love, imaginings, nature, war and endings. Chris Riddell bring
Published September 20th 2018 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Poems to Live Your Life By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems to Live Your Life By

Lisa
"Every hour wounds, the last one kills."
Neil Gaiman

This collection of poetry is pure magic!

A selection of frabjous Jabberwocky slayers, of charm-broken ladies of Shalott, of people wishing for the cloths of heaven, of thinkers pondering on being or not being, of soldiers spewing out their hatred of that old lie "dulce et decorum est", of desperate people not waving but drowning, of people choosing the road less travelled by, all put together and made come alive in the visual language of Chris R
Orláith
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First posted on www.instagram.com/p/Bn9Zt3kHAvX

For the longest time, I've been promising myself that I would pick up a book of poetry as it's something I've never really read before.

But of course, forgetful as I am, I just never got around to it 🙈

Thankfully @macmillankidsuk sent me this beautiful book of poetry curated by Chris Riddell, and what a book it is to start my collection!

I'm honestly now a poetry convert and I would love some recommendations on what to read next. (Although I don't know
Devi
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Diese Anthologie von ausgewählter Lieblingslyrik von Chris Riddell war perfekte Lektüre für 1 1/2h meines Lebens. Ich werde dieses Buch aber gern noch mal in die Hand nehmen, da Chris Riddell so unfassbar schöne Illustrationen stets macht.
Kate
Oh, Chris Riddell, how I wish that you would be able to illustrate all of my poetry books!

Riddell is my favourite illustrator (he's a pretty damn good author too - check out his series, Goth Girl, for example), so when I saw this anthology I snapped it up. This is a truly beautiful book, and I hope that, because of Riddell's illustrations that it may introduce poetry to those who would not have normally picked it up off the shelf.

There really should be something for everyone within these pages
Carla
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't not give this 5 stars. First of all, it is a beautiful anthology. The cover is stunning and the illustrations within are even more gorgeous. The poems are also so well-selected. From well-known classics to newer works, this book has something for everyone and apparently had loads of gems for me, if I can judge based on the amount of post-its (meaning: I loved this and will want to go back to it again and again) I added to my copy.
It is a stunning work of art and I don't regret for on
Cindy
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good collection of poems. Some old, some new, some classics, and some songs. It was a fun and beautiful mixture of poems about life.
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Chris Riddell's choices in poetry are old friends and new discoveries for me, and his illustrations are lovely as ever.
Elisabeth
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great collecting with beautiful illustrations, featuring not only some of my favorite poems but also some lovely poems that I hadn't known before.
Kitty
Timothy
Nov 08, 2018
Imogen
Sep 30, 2018
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally