Start by marking “Poems to Live Your Life By” as Want to Read:
Poems to Live Your Life By

Poems to Live Your Life By

In Poems to Live Your Life By, Chris Riddell, political cartoonist for the Observer, has selected his very favourite classic and modern poems about life, death and everything in between.

This gorgeously illustrated collection includes forty-six poems and is divided into sections covering: musings, youth, family, love, imaginings, nature, war and endings. Chris Riddell bring
Published September 20th 2018 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Poems to Live Your Life By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems to Live Your Life By

Start your review of Poems to Live Your Life By
Nat K
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a bit of magic in their life.

Food for the Soul! Gorgeous.

Whether you like to devour your poetry in one sitting, or prefer it in bite sized chunks, there is a poem here to suit every taste.

Poems of all shapes, sizes and styles are featured here. Chris Riddell has put together a beautiful anthology, from classics to modern day poems. They're each accompanied by his eye-catching illustrations, which certainly add to the sensory experience. This makes the perfect addition to your bedside table. Or coffee table or work desk. Kee
Hannah Greendale
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-or-verse
Amazing illustrations. Would have liked to see more diversity.
Lisa
"Every hour wounds, the last one kills."
Neil Gaiman

This collection of poetry is pure magic!

A selection of frabjous Jabberwocky slayers, of charm-broken ladies of Shalott, of people wishing for the cloths of heaven, of thinkers pondering on being or not being, of soldiers spewing out their hatred of that old lie "dulce et decorum est", of desperate people not waving but drowning, of people choosing the road less travelled by, all put together and made come alive in the visual language of Chris
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
This is a fun and also, emotional poetry collection illustrated beautifully by Chris Riddell. I've always been a fan of his work and his illustrations I felt bought this collection to life. I didn't enjoy all of the poems but most I liked, such as Not Waving But Drowning (which I had to study last year as part of an English Literature class). It's a quick read, that I do recommend for Poetry lovers and those new to Poetry, as some of the lengths are quite short and easy to approach.
Diane
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I read this to my son, who is 19 years old, mostly at the rate of a poem a night. Sometimes we read more, something’s we split a poem over the course of a few nights. There were a few of poetry’s greatest hits, which we very much enjoyed, but most were from obscure or less prominent poets, some less successful than many of them. I was surprised by my son’s willingness to listen to poetry right before bed. I never made him analyze them though and only explained if I thought something was just rea ...more
Bon Tom
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Collection of mind-expanding meditations, some call poems. Esthetic experience through and through, and you had that feeling of piece of plaque unattaching from your soul every few verses and ray of light touching the ever dark, dusty corner of your grey matter attic. Definitely material for multiple readings.
Răzvan Ionescu
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I guess beautiful is the best word here. It's a collection of poetry that tries to cover all aspects of life (in roughly chronological order), with a wide range of selected authors. For the most part, it succeeds.

The illustrations are spot on: they enhance the texts and make this just a beautiful book that's nice to hold. (One of those cases where an ebook just wouldn't cut it). The selection ranges from good old William Shakespeare to Kate Tempest or Carol Ann Duffy, stopping in a few mildly pr
Orláith
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First posted on www.instagram.com/p/Bn9Zt3kHAvX

For the longest time, I've been promising myself that I would pick up a book of poetry as it's something I've never really read before.

But of course, forgetful as I am, I just never got around to it 🙈

Thankfully @macmillankidsuk sent me this beautiful book of poetry curated by Chris Riddell, and what a book it is to start my collection!

I'm honestly now a poetry convert and I would love some recommendations on what to read next. (Although I don't know
Lauren
Apr 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Poetry is definitely not for me.
Sven
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful collection supplemented with stunning drawings😍
Andrea Huelsenbeck
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I ordered this book, I thought all the poems were written by Chris Riddell. Oops. I missed the “chosen and illustrated by” notation. Only one of the poems is by Riddell. The others are old friends or new to me, by poets as diverse as Shakespeare, Robert Frost, Leonard Cohen, and Neil Gaiman.

Though published by Macmillan Children’s Books, I wouldn’t buy this book for anyone under seventeen years old. These are not children’s poems. However, they would be well appreciated by any adult. The bo
Didi
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2019, poetry
Even though poetry is not my cup of tea, i truly enjoyed this. Had a couple of hours free with no distractions, what better way to spend my Friday afternoon, sipping hot tea with this as a companion. This collection of poetry is beautiful, especially with the illustrations by Chris Riddell. I can foresee myself re-reading this again and again in the future.
Katy Chessum-Rice
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this ages ago, not sure why I didn't mark it off! A beautiful collection of poetry, some you know, some you don't and all beautifully illustrated by Chris Riddell. I think this is aimed at children however I think there is plenty for adults to get stuck into! Thoroughly recommend.
Hannah
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Prefered this collection to Chris Riddell's companion book Poems to Fall in Love With; I think there's more thought put into what poems where into this collection, and there's more narrative at play within the illustrations.
Irina M.
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A beautiful collection of poems chosen and illustrated by Chris Riddell.
Poems for almost every step of live. Some will talk to you now, some tomorrow.
To read and reread.
Stig Edvartsen
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: male-author
Riddell is a fantastic illustrator and here he illustrates poems and lyrics he's selected himself. Where his taste and mine overlap, this book is amazing and where he has other favourites than mine it is merely good.
Ryan
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-in-2019
A wonderful collection of poetry accompanied by a gorgeous collection of artwork. Chris Riddell's drawings act as your guide through a varied range of wonderful poetry, from Yeats, to Duffy, to Gaiman. Highly recommended for seasoned poetry readers and curious newcomers alike.
Adek Fbree
Nov 06, 2019 added it
Shelves: poem
the illustration are beautiful but i couldn't understand most of the poems. This is my 2nd poem book that I've give a try. I guess I'm not into poems, not yet.
Lloyd Mackenzie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
TRUTH be told, I am not a fan of poetry. For some, the words awaken a piece of their soul. For me, it sets my mind into a state of hibernation and I yearn for a bed and a comfy pillow.

My general bias towards poetry definitely doesn’t mean this book is bad. In fact, there were many poems in this compilation that I thoroughly enjoyed reading: He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven by WB Yeats, The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost; Dulce et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen; The Minister of Exams by Brian Patt
Rachel Palm
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely collection, and Riddell's drawings are beautiful.
Valentin Lica
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poezie
Magnificent rendition by Samuel West of this little gem of a book with poems that drown out the fury of this maddening world.
Kate
Oh, Chris Riddell, how I wish that you would be able to illustrate all of my poetry books!

Riddell is my favourite illustrator (he's a pretty damn good author too - check out his series, Goth Girl, for example), so when I saw this anthology I snapped it up. This is a truly beautiful book, and I hope that, because of Riddell's illustrations that it may introduce poetry to those who would not have normally picked it up off the shelf.

There really should be something for everyone within these pages
Jessica
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A stunning collection by my favourite illustrator
Bernie Gourley
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an anthology of forty-eight poems arranged into eight life-related topical areas. The connective theme is poems that the editor, Chris Riddell, found to contain valuable life lessons. The span runs from Rumi to poets of the present day. It’s a nice selection in that it includes not only old and new (thus varied styles of verse,) but also greater and lesser known poems and poets. [That’s not to say that any of the poets are unknowns, but some of the oldies are remembered through the ages ...more
Faith
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Basically the best thing to grace this earth
Svetlana
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful collection of poems and amazingly beautiful illustrations by Chris Riddell
Cindy
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good collection of poems. Some old, some new, some classics, and some songs. It was a fun and beautiful mixture of poems about life.
Carla
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't not give this 5 stars. First of all, it is a beautiful anthology. The cover is stunning and the illustrations within are even more gorgeous. The poems are also so well-selected. From well-known classics to newer works, this book has something for everyone and apparently had loads of gems for me, if I can judge based on the amount of post-its (meaning: I loved this and will want to go back to it again and again) I added to my copy.
It is a stunning work of art and I don't regret for on
Acordul Fin
Nice collection of poems and illustrations.
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Chris Riddell's choices in poetry are old friends and new discoveries for me, and his illustrations are lovely as ever.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• She is Fierce
  • Art Matters
  • The Awkward Yeti Presents: How I Broke Up with My Colon: Fascinating, Bizarre, and True Health Stories
  • Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and Wise
  • The Weekend
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • The Poetry Pharmacy: Tried-and-True Prescriptions for the Mind, Heart and Soul
  • The Ghost of Christmas Past (Southern Ghost Hunter)
  • Painajaispuoti ja kamala kutituspulveri
  • Bruny
  • The Girl Aquarium
  • Meg and Jo
  • Once Upon a Christmas Wedding
  • The Christmasaurus and the Winter Witch
  • Wake, Siren: Ovid Resung
  • Disney's Land: Walt Disney and the Invention of the Amusement Park That Changed the World
  • Pokko and the Drum
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally