Start by marking “The Peacock Emporium” as Want to Read:
The Peacock Emporium

The Peacock Emporium

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author, Jojo Moyes, the story of a young woman who finds new meaning in life after opening an eclectic shop and comes to terms with the secrets of her past

In the sixties, Athene Forster was the most glamorous girl of her generation. Nicknamed the Last Deb, she was also beautiful, spoiled, and out of control. When she agreed to marry t
Published April 9th 2019 by Penguin Books (first published February 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Peacock Emporium, please sign up.
Virginia Schmadtke Guarino I thought that the first chapter tied the entire story together. It made the story come full circle.
Toni It was written and released in the UK around 2004. I believe this is its first US release now in 2019.

(ツ) Hache
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, jojo-moyes
I'm so relieved that I've finished this!

I feel like I should get a medal for making it through this. Any other author and I would have given up easily after the first couple chapters. I'm not an easy reader, I'm not one of those people that can finish a book in a day so its really a miracle that I slugged through this and finished it.

I would not recommend this to anyone who loves romances

My thoughts while reading this
Bored...
I want to give up..
The main character Suzanna is depressing to read.
etherealfire
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this ARC in a GoodReads giveaway. I've been a big fan of Jojo Moyes since first discovering her work in One Plus One. While this one was a bit difficult to get into at first, by the time I was halfway through the book I was entranced and completely moved by the final pages.
A bit confusing in my opinion, but good once the ending brings everything together. The Peacock Emporium reflects Jojo Moyes' much earlier work as it was first published 15 years ago. Moyes has grown as a writer by leaps and bounds since then but this novel was still an interesting read that alternates timeframes and heroines.

My favorite quote:
“Because that was it, loving someone, wasn't it? The knowledge that, if nothing else, you wanted them to be happy.”

Audiobook narrated by Elizabeth Sastre,
LindyLouMac
I did enjoy this eventually; it took for me an exceptionally long time to read, over a week. I found it very slow and it took me ages to feel involved enough in the story to want to read much more than a chapter at a time. The first few chapters are important as they introduce the reader to the history of the heroine’s family background. At the time this may seem irrelevant but persevere and read beyond this and it will all click into place.
The protagonist is Suzanna Peacock who with her husband
Jessica
Jun 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I never write reviews but I had to for this book. If Jojo Moyes meant to write the worlds most annoying main character, Suzanna Peacock, then she is a wonderful author - mission accomplished.
Toni
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-2019
JoJo Moyes came onto my radar with her two books about her caretaker role with her handsome, intelligent patient in, "Me Before You" and "After You." I believe half the world, okay maybe half the women in the world, discovered her with these two phenomenal books and the movie that soon followed. This then forces me to pose an unpopular question: Why release this book, "Peacock Emporium" written in 2004, a very early book for Moyes, already released in the UK then, NOW in the US?!
Don't get me wro
Nicole Jeffries
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry but after reading "The Last Letter from Your Lover," by Jojo Moyes I had high hopes for this book. I'm afraid I was disappointed.

I absolutely could not stand the main character. I found her annoying and depressing. Through out the entire book all you want to do is meet this main character just so you can tell her to grow up and stop complaining. Every time I would finish a chapter I felt like my life was just as crappy's as the main character. While Jojo Moyes does a great job in gett
MaryG2E
I was not sure what I was getting into when I started this book. By the end I was enchanted by the story.
In the Swinging Sixties, the glamorous spoilt socialite Athene appears to have it all, but she has a big fall from grace and disappears, leaving an infant daughter Suzanna. The daughter has fraught, complicated relationships with her remaining family, which has led to bad feelings and social distance between them. Suzanna eventually finds a kind of liberation in the shop that she opens in he
Lisa
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars

Mixed feelings for this family drama with a sliver of mystery.

I liked the story - it flits between different times and characters but the main story is about Suzanna Peacock née Fairley-Hulme who is a woman in her thirties struggling to find her way and faces a tragedy that changes her life.
We are given stories about the people that relate to Suzanna past and present to flesh out her otherwise insipid life.

The biggest problem I have with this book is the characters; Suzanna herself, and
Jamie Beck
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

SPOILERS...proceed with caution.

This is one of my favorite authors, but despite the interesting premise, and rich setting and backstory, I struggled with this book.

I attribute that largely to disliking Suzanna's whiny, passive-aggressive behavior and lack of gratitude for the people who loved her. Generally, I can relate to characters who are dissatisfied with their lives (or marriages or whatnot), but I really could not feel much for Suzanna's complaints, nor forgive her for the way she li
Amy Eddison
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent description of how we are all affected by our upbringing. Suzanne has never felt she belonged with her family having always known that her Fathers love for the Mother who died when giving birth to her has made him resent her. His second wife who raised her and her brother and sister is her real Mother, but still she cannot understand how anyone can love her. Everything changes when she decides to make a go at doing something for herself- without the help of anyone in he ...more
Rachel
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found The Peacock Emporium to be slow and slightly uninteresting. The main character was selfish and I was unempathetic to her.
I was disappointed with this story as so far I have loved every book I have read of Jojo's, but I just felt that this fell below the mark; in my opinion the story line could have been more exciting and the characters more loveable.
Maggie (mugandnook)
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adored this! Jojo Moyes has yet to let me down. She’s one of my all time favorite authors. If you’ve only read Me Before You, I highly encourage you to read other books of hers. I loved Me Before You, but it’s nowhere near my favorite.

I had it with me at the doctor, and she asked if I was reading a Victorian romance. I sort of thought similarly just judging by the cover, but it’s not that at all. Almost the entire book is set in 2001 with a few flashbacks to the 1960s, so that cover is reeeeal
Melissa Whittinghill
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
The summary of the book and what it actually is do not match. There are too many characters, jumping across to many timelines and points of view, and no one is likable enough to root for. My second to least favorite of her collection (the horse dancer being my least favorite).
Marion Dodson
May 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so boring. I just couldn't finish. I didn't like the characters nor did I care what happened. Very disappointing since I have loved all of her other books.
Beth (bibliobeth)
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finding a new favourite author in the form of Jojo Moyes, I’m now on a mission to read everything she ever wrote and today’s review is on The Peacock Emporium, published in 2004. Similar to the previous book I read – Foreign Fruit, the story is set in two time frames, the first is in the 1960′s and deals mainly with the fortunes of the aristocratic Fairley-Hulmes family, when the young heir Douglas falls madly in love with a woman he meets at one of their famed parties. Always one to stand ...more
SarahC
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-fiction
The Peacock Emporium tells of a woman in her 30s, with a troubled marriage, who returns to live in the small town of her origin. She and her husband are trying to come to terms with what they really want in life. And the decision to return home and live near Suzanna's family isnt an answer that gives her much confidence. Opening a small-town coffee and gift shop, The Peacock Emporium, is an attempt by Suzanna to make something she will be proud of.

Suzanna Peacock's life is also shadowed by a mot
Kathryn
3.5★ There’s something about the word “emporium”, isn’t there? It hints at lushness and exotic goods.

The main character, Suzanna Peacock, was a bit of a prickly sort of person and a hard character to love, but I did feel sorry for her, with her difficulty in finding her “place” in life, and alienating those people who she most needed to draw toward her.

I also felt sorry for Vivi, with the thankless task she has done in running her household, the reward being that she was taken for granted by eve
Bill Kupersmith
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: me-emma
Fortunately I discovered Jojo Moyes’ Me Before You even before it was published in America and went on to make the author one of the most popular novelists in the world. Even though her characters and plots are common items in romantic fiction, Moyes raises them to a much higher level. One’s almost reminded of Shakespeare, taking stock Elizabethan figures such as the Miles Gloriosis, the Machiavell, and the revenger, and giving us Falstaff, Iago, and Hamlet. Moyes makes her characters become peo ...more
Lindsay Nixon
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF at 20%

Me Before You is one of my all-time favorites. I hesitated reading anything else by her, worrying it wouldn't compare to MBY or would somehow taint that good memory.

THIS BOOK IS THAT FEAR MANIFESTED. I have read other books by Moyes and liked them but this book... it was a struggle to complete part 1. If it had been another author I wouldn't have made it through the first couple of chapters.

After reading reviews and summaries here I know this book is NOT for me. I've seen it compared
Anne-Marie
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful novel from Jojo Moyes. she has the perfect ability to keep you wanting more, not wanting the book to end. The main female character Suzanna was a bit annoying, however very real, as were the other characters. It contains heartbreak, love and tragedy, a great read.
Natalie
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just could not get into this book. I really wanted to like it, but it was much more melancholy than I wanted and I really hated the main character and well .... not for me.
Donna Hines
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm going to air on the side of caution and round up on this one while being generous.
Life comes full circle and this story certainly gets the award for the most challenged, depressing, emotionally pulling, completely exhaustive reads to date.
If you check reviews you'll notice something on and that's they are all over the map mainly because if you were lucky to finish it, not lose interest, and attempt to gain traction, you'll find there was some depth to it but the characters were not likeable.
Becky
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars! One of Jojo’s better books! Sad but so good!!
Carinya Kappler
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author has an interesting knack of telling a convincing comprehensible story which skips to and fro between various time frames in the lives of the characters. As each chapter commences the reader is initially mystified about who is the subject and which era the events are taking place. However as the tale evolves, the mystery solves itself and the jigsaw of the lives of the characters takes shape.
The book is not unusual in its plot involving a multitude of human emotions and scarred relati
Delores
Jun 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I actually didn't finish this book. At 38% I decided to pull the plug. I found the book confusing and didn't care what happened.
Zosi
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. I’ve really enjoyed a lot of the author’s other books, but this one wasn’t really my cup of tea I guess. Interesting themes but the plot had a tendency to drag on.
Linda Zimmerman
Jun 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
I stopped reading it at page 150... I just couldn't get into this book.
Christi Miller
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐. Enjoyed the book overall, but Suzanna was rather annoying at times. ...more
Jackie Lane
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite book by this author. I am a huge fan of Jojo Moyes but this is an earlier book that was published in the us recently. I felt it lagged a lot but picked up in the end.

3.5-4 stars

• The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society
  • Beyond The Sunset (The Swan River Saga, #2)
  • The Life and Soul of the Party
  • The Beautiful Strangers
  • The Happy Home for Broken Hearts
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • The Last Year of the War
  • Lost Roses (Lilac Girls #2)
  • First We Take Manhattan
  • The Pi**ed-Off Parents Club
  • Le brave ragazze combinano guai
  • Resistance Women
  • Durga/Umayi
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is mar