Start by marking “The Hunting Party” as Want to Read:

The Hunting Party

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  108,676 ratings  ·  11,349 reviews

EVERYONE’S INVITED.
EVERYONE’S A SUSPECT.

Bristling with tension, bitter rivalries, and toxic friendships, get ready for the most hotly-anticipated thriller of 2019.

In a remote hunting lodge, deep in the Scottish wilderness, old friends gather for New Year.

The beautiful one
The city boy
The outsider

The

Published December 3rd 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Hunting Party, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Kate Lakie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cassandra I also found it a slow burn - halfway through the book and we’re still learning about the characters’ backstories. I found that it only got really int…moreI also found it a slow burn - halfway through the book and we’re still learning about the characters’ backstories. I found that it only got really interesting towards the last 1/4 of the book.(less)

·  108,676 ratings  ·  11,349 reviews

Start your review of The Hunting Party
megs_bookrack
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
The Hunting Party features a lot of plot elements I tend to gravitate towards in my Thrillers.

There's a group of frenemies, a remote location in the Scottish Highlands, a blizzard and some murder. You're speaking my language, Lucy Foley.

I'm here for it all!

When it's Emma's turn to plan the annual 'Friends Getaway' for New Year's Eve holiday, she is looking to impress.

Emma, by dating Mark, has become included in the group, but has never truly felt welcomed.

The rest of the crew, Samira, Miranda
noelle
Jul 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 — This one is tough!!! I REALLY liked the characters and their dark backstory’s but I guessed the two main twists early on in the book 😅 still fun though!
Paromjit
This is a hugely enjoyable modern version of a classic golden age crime novel, a psychological thriller with the Christie like tropes of a country house, only here we have a remote and desolate exclusive hunting lodge situated next to a loch in the bleak and forbidding wintry landscapes of the Scottish Highlands. There is a group of thirty something longstanding close friends from Oxford University, who for the last decade have always gathered together over the New Year period. It begins with Ne ...more
Yun
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seven friends meet up to ring in the New Year together at a remote wilderness lodge. Two days later, one of them is dead. Told in alternating perspectives from three of the friends, as well as in alternating timelines, one leading up to the fateful event and one in the immediate aftermath, it begs the questions: What happened? Who was killed and why?

And here is essentially the first issue with The Hunting Party: we don't know who the victim is. Even in the aftermath narrative, the identity of th
Meredith
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

The Hunting Party is an entertaining mystery about a group of seven friends who spend New Year's Eve in the Scottish Highlands at a hunting lodge. By the end, one winds up dead changing all of their lives forever. At the same time, a serial killer is on the loose, the lodge is unreachable due to an intense snowstorm, and some of the guests have lost their minds!

Three couples and one singleton, all of whom became friends 10 years ago while attending Oxford University, travel from L
jessica
isolated lodge. check.
variety of characters. check.
dead body. check.

this has everything you could want from a classic whodunnit and i would have loved this more if only it werent EXACTLY like LFs other novel, ‘the guest list.’ and i mean exactly - same format, same type of characters, same set-up and plot, same atmosphere. the only differences are the location, reason for gathering, and murder motive.

so this felt very much like a recycled story and made the mystery less fun. i also found the p
Dem
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer On finishing this novel I have no idea how this lot called themselves friends to begin with.

I had mixed feelings about The Hunting Party as while I liked the idea for the story it was very drawn out and the characters all seemed to blend together. I was constantly questioning the character's actions and the situations they got themselves into on the holiday.

I did like the setting of this novel, an isolated estate in the Scottish Highlands, th
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
I've read this story approximately 1,000 times before, yet I still enjoyed it! There's something about the Agatha Christie-esque classic murder mystery that just ministers to my soul.
Pleased to announce that this is the #ScaredSuspenseBookClub pick for March! We are offering one finished hard copy in a giveaway on the account; this is open internationally! To follow along for discussions, updates, and to enter the giveaway, please follow @scaredsuspensebookclub on Instagram. <3
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
A New Year's Reunion In The Remote Scottish Wilderness . . .

•The beautiful one
•The golden couple
•The volatile one
•The new parents
•The quiet one
•The city boy
•The outsider

One of these friends is a murderer. And one won't make it out alive.

JOIN THE PARTY NOW.

(That was on the back of the ARC and it sums it up nicely) *I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway.

These people are supposed to be friends but I think they all lost that along the way. I didn't like a particular person in the group, although
Andy Marr
What a lot of silly old nonsense.

Too many unnecessary characters, and the red herrings were far too red to blend in with the normal herrings. There was also too much talk of first-world problems, and the characters were all so unpleasant that, actually, by the time the victim and murderer were revealed, I cared not a jot about their fate.

Silly book.

Silly, silly book.
karen
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fulfilling my 2020 goal to read (at least) one book each month that i bought in hardcover and put off reading long enough that it is now in paperback.

i had huge, sky-high expectations for this one.

gimmie a locked room mystery in an unusual setting, gimmie a gathering of friends who have seeeecrets and one gets murdered, gimmie fast-paced, slow-reveal nonlinear psych suspense with the shifting POVs of unreliable narrators who're all low-level shitty and any one of 'em could be the killer, gimmi
Katie B
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though the whole murder mystery taking place at a lodge in the middle of nowhere has been done countless times before, I honestly never get sick of it. The combination of that feeling of isolation, the freezing cold weather, and a cast of characters in which everyone is a suspect, just works for me. I really enjoyed this one and I was left guessing until the very end.

A group of old college friends have gathered at a snow lodge in the Scottish Highlands to ring in the new year. And of course
Gabby
This was just okay. After absolutely loving The Guest List earlier this year I was determined to seek out more books from this author. Turns out this book is actually very similar to The Guest List, just not as fun. It follows a giant group of people in an isolated area and it's a classic slow burn whodunit mystery, as we try to figure out who was murdered. This book follows many different POV's and it follows a group of old friends who are going to this isolated cabin at celebrate New Years Eve ...more
j e w e l s
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FOUR STARS for the story FIVE STARS for the audio production!!

Don't you hate it when a murder ruins a perfectly fun vacation?

The Hunting Party is a modern version of the ancient "locked room" mystery trope. Written beautifully in a haunting atmospheric style, we have a group of long-time friends meeting up at a secluded wilderness resort to celebrate the new year. One minute they're cracking the champagne bottles open and the next thing you know---one of the friends is dead. But who? and whodun
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Let's say you are invited along on an outing with a bunch of friends you have known for a good portion of your life. It's for a stay in an secluded, exclusive lodge that only accepts a very limited guest list throughout the year. The problem is it is so secluded that you could get stuck there if the weather deems it so. OMG no. Hell no! NO!

The Hunting Party is more party then hunting, thank goodness. As an animal lover I was a little concerned with the title. Rest assured, there is only a very s
Tammy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The set-up is one we all recognize: a group of friends get together at an isolated location for a reunion and someone winds up dead. There is a killer on the loose. (Gasp) As you get to know the characters, from the ‘it” girl to the successful “mouse” and everyone in between, just about anyone could be the killer or the corpse. Add to this mix, a brooding caretaker with a violent past and we’re off to the races. Speaking of “it” girls, I predict this will be one of the “it” books of the season. ...more
Victoria
May 04, 2019 marked it as hours-i-will-never-get-back  ·  review of another edition
When you realize you don’t really care who died in a whodunit and being stuck in the characters’ heads is worse than being snowbound in the wilderness with a killer, then it’s time to give it up. I really wanted to like this one, but I’m hanging up the antlers and we are parting ways early.
Paula
Apr 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Recommended to Paula by: Bookclub
I do love a mystery where the setting is remote and very secluded. The Hunting Party brings old college friends from Oxford together for their annual New Years Eve get together in the Scottish Highlands. It’s been a tradition for 10 years. New to the group, Emma, tries to outdo the previous locations chosen each year. She decides on an exclusive hunting lodge way out in the wilderness that is known for it’s isolation. Maybe too isolated ?

Once all the friends arrive and carry on with very lively
Brandice
The Hunting Party is about a group of 9 friends who meet at a secluded lodge to celebrate New Year’s Eve together. The friends are in their early 30s and it’s their tradition to reunite each year for NYE. There are 4 couples: Giles and Samira, Nick and Beau, Emma and Mark, and Miranda and Julien. Their friend Katie also joins the trip. This is a classic whodunnit murder story and the setting of the isolated lodge helps add to the ominous vibe.

It took me a little while to keep track of who was w
Holly  B
A bunch of unlikeable characters drive this mystery/suspense tale. Its a "snowed-in prison."

After enjoying The Guest List, I decided to pick this one up at the bookstore. In many ways, it mirrors it, both books feature .... a remote, atmospheric location, lots of "couple drama" and a bunch of unlikeable characters (which doesn't always work for me, but worked in this case).

I really do enjoy this author's character development and writing style. Some may feel like she over does the character de
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Ahhhhhhh, a gathering of old friends. You know the sort . . . .

Oh wait, not exactly the same. This one features 9 long-time friends from Uni who gather together annually in order to celebrate New Year’s. Another difference this time around????

“I’ve found the missing guest . . . . I found a body . . . . I don’t think it was an accident.”

So we have:

a. A manor house
b. A dead body
c. EVERYONE’S a suspect

That may not
Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
3 Stars!

I look straight back at her, as I tread water. I hate you, I think. I hate you. I don't feel bad anymore. You deserve everything that is coming to you.

I want to start by saying this is not a thriller, or rather it's not a thriller in my eyes. This is much more a slow burn (until the last ~30 pages) suspense novel. It's been marketed as a thriller and I think going in with that mindset did not help while I was reading this book.

During a holiday break, seven friends and an Icelandic co
Ginger
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
What an entertaining whodunit!!

Was this addicting to read? You bet! I binge read The Hunting Party in about 2 days!

Have I read something similar to this plot? Sure!
It will have a different setting or a different group of people but they all have one thing in common.

Someone gets murdered! Dun dun dun!
And it's usually by someone they know.

So this isn't an original plot theme in any way but still highly entertaining and fun to read.

The Hunting Party starts off with 9 friends heading off to the remo
Kyle
This is my first read of the new year,
and it’s a one-star.
Shit.

I hated all of the characters (with the exception of Doug, the gamekeeper, and Heather, the lodge keeper).
The guests, however, were of a different sort.
Privileged, pretty, successful, whiny thirty-somethings.
It made for a truly unenjoyable reading experience.

I wasn’t a fan of the character’s POVs (and by extension: the writing itself). Each character sounded like they were reading from a script, or like they were talking to me direct
Beverly
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susanne  Strong
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Stars.

New Years Break. Seven Friends. A College Reunion. An Isolated Hunting Lodge in the Middle of Nowhere during a historic Blizzard. Seems like the Perfect Vacation!

***
A Body is found on New Years Eve. The identity is not revealed. A killer on the loose. Talk about a Cozy-Locked Room Mystery!

***
Three days earlier: Best Friends, together again, finally. If only they didn’t keep secrets from each other. There’s Katie, Miranda and Julien, Nick and Bo, Samira and Giles and Mark and Emma.

F
Kayleigh Kehoe ♡
wordpresstumblrinstagramtwitter
_____________________________

This is basically about a group of fictional friends who have no redeemable qualities and are unbearably nasty to each other on "holiday" in a lodge that is cut off from the rest of civilisation for a few days after it snows heavily. During this inaccessible time, one of the group gets murdered, and everyone is a suspect.

And I wish that all of them was killed and the murderer lived happily ever after. That's how despic
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Friends with secrets, couples and strangers, a secluded hunting lodge and a dead body make for some intriguing elements.

The Hunting Party starts off with an unknown dead body and we are left till the end to find out who it is from a group of thirty-somethings who come together in a secluded hunting lodge to celebrate New Year’s Eve. We learn from some background into the characters just how unlikable these characters are. The more we see just how unlikable they are we see that it could be any on
Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings)
I was very much looking forward to reading "The Hunting Party", so many fellow reviewers were recommending it and the blurb sounded exactly what I like from a crime mystery. Set in the Highlands of Scotland, my favourite holiday destination, I actually felt like I was staying in the lodge with the characters and could relate to the surrounding towns, dense, scary forests and beautiful but icy lochs. Very atmospheric and with the right amount of tension and suspense, I thoroughly enjoyed this Aga ...more
Diana | Book of Secrets
A group of friends meet at a remote lodge in the Scottish Highlands to celebrate New Year's Eve. One of them ends up dead, and another is the murderer. But who's dead, and whodunit? The story flips back and forth between characters and before and after the murder, until the truth is slowly revealed.

I loved the premise of this book, however I struggled to stay engaged. There were many POVs presented, and their voices were so similar it was hard to keep track. The whole group of them gave off a sn
Appropriate for tweens/teens? 3 23 Jan 13, 2021 11:09AM
Books Real When S...: The Hunting Party - October 2020 - Reviews 5 39 Nov 01, 2020 08:33AM
Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - October 26 - The Hunting Party 1 8 Oct 26, 2020 01:29PM

• One by One
  • The Farm
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Forget You Know Me
See top shelves…
I live in London, but love traveling - both in real life and on the page (hence the appearance of some far flung locations in my writing).

My latest novel is The Invitation - set in the film world of the 1950s, along the Italian Riviera.

My debut novel, The Book of Lost & Found, published in early 2015.

You can find my Facebook page here:

and follow me on Twi

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to treat yourself to a new book this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our...
“Some people, given just the right amount of pressure, taken out of their usual, comfortable environments, don’t need much encouragement at all to become monsters. And sometimes you just get a strong sense about people, and you can’t explain it; you simply know it, in some deeper part of yourself.” 10 likes
“But it is a lot easier to face the day when you know you won't have to face other people and their happiness.” 5 likes