Start by marking “In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying” as Want to Read:
In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying

In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying

At thirty-six years old, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche was a rising star within his generation of Tibetan masters and the respected abbot of three monasteries. Then one night, telling no one, he slipped out of his monastery in India with the intention of spending the next four years on a wandering retreat, following the ancient practice of holy mendicants. His goal was to throw ...more
Published May 7th 2019 by Random House

Start your review of In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
Krystal
This is a tricky one to rate.

There's two aspects to it, really: the Monk's journey (or, the beginning of it) and Buddhist teachings on life and death.

I think it was the contrast between the two that made this such a slow read for me, because it's two topics I'm rather fascinated by but it was jarring to switch between the two constantly with this book.

The journey: Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche has lived his life as a Buddhist monk in relative comfort and luxury. He has risen through ranks with dedicat
Debra
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I am a monk; a son, a brother, and an uncle; a Buddhist; a meditation teacher; a tulku, an abbot, and an author; a Tibetan Nepali; a human being. Which one describes the essential me?”

In 2011 Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche left a note on his bed, walked out of his monastery in India and began a four year wandering retreat.

Inspired by Tibetan Buddhist Yogis of the past, he aspired to achieve enlightenment and experience his true Buddha nature.

Following the Tibetan principle of ‘adding wood to the fire’
Paul Oppenheimer
An intimate teaching story

A first-person narrative of the author’s coming to terms with the teachings of his traditions. Written clearly and without pretending.

Nuno R.
Helen Tworkov's writting is wonderful: clear, bright and insightful, being up to the task of delivering such precious teachings. The book is more about what Yongey Mingyur learned from is Sadhu-like wandering retreat than about chronicling the journey itself. It is a deep, loving book. A great read in times of isolation, in which being able to deal with our own thoughts is important.
Anneke
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
Book Review: In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
Author: Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and Helen Tworkov
Publisher: Random House Spiegel & Grau
Publication Date: May 7, 2019
Review Date: March 30, 2019

From the blurb:
“A rare, intimate account of a world-renowned Buddhist monk’s near-death experience and the life-changing wisdom he gained from it.”

This is a fantastic book for Tibet
Gedun Drakpa
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have always been drawn to tales of seekers who abandon everything, everything that defines their life behind and wander in search of answer and meaning of life.
but, most people say to leave everything behind and live like a hobo on the street begging for food is foolish. most people say we could just practice in the comfort of our home and warm bed and warm fresh food.
some believe in getting rid of all the materials belongings because they breed attachments and are major distractions too.
I be
Dawn Tessman
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story of a monk who sheds himself of all his worldly possessions and creature comforts to go on a wandering retreat in search of enlightenment. Unfortunately, for me, the book seemed to be more focused on Buddhist practices and teachings than the monk’s journey. The beginning is so promising, filled with the rich imagery and excitement of Mingyur Rinpoche’s clandestine departure from his monastery. But, then, the story quickly loses all its charm by bogging the reader down in lessons of the ...more
Producervan in Cornville, AZ from New Orleans & L.A.
In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and Helen Tworkov. Nonfiction. Kindle Edition. Published 07 May 2019. 5 Stars.

Superb. An intense, introspective and one-of-a-kind memoir as Rinpoche takes us through his soul-searching journey from ego and physical death to his amazing emergence from its ashes. You’ll find yourself in the capable hands of a passionate and seasoned teacher as he generously shares his journey and practices fr
Marc Mannheimer
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Not only was this autobio, from roughly a month of a Buddhist monk's life, interesting, the teachings, both directly expressed and implicit helped me greatly in understanding several points of Buddhist experience on which I had been in the dark. The author, having experienced panic disorder throughout his life, made me feel at home with the teachings, and hopeful for my own progress, as I, too, suffer from anxiety.
Donniesands
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent mix of Buddhist teaching alongside Mingyur Rinpoche’s experiences practicing the lessons of mindfulness from a Buddhist perspective by living on his own on the streets, trying to put what he’s learned into practice. To see what he went through and how he could gain insight into humanity through hardship helped me see the world differently as well.
Cherie
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
A Buddhist monk who has basically been born into Buddhist royalty has this idea of doing a wandering retreat for a year; he sneaks off to do it, encountering a very different world than he has ever experienced. He gets down to who he is, and almost loses himself in the process. But compassion saves him, as it saves most often. Lovely story.
Upasana
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The most startling book I’ve read for years. It opens my heart.
Dorie
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
In Love With The World : A Monks Journey Through The Bardos of Living and Dying
by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
due 5-7-2019
Random House/Spiegel & Gran
5.0 / 5.0

Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche began studying Tibetan Buddhism and attending retreats to help learn how to deal with death. A bardo believes the stage between ´dying´ and ´rebirth´ is ´becoming´. Yongey felt it would help him come closer to the state of Pure Awareness. Yongey went on a retreat and became deathly ill with food poisoning. He was tol
Sammy
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first saw this book with my best friend who had borrowed it from a local cafe near our school. Then my ex recommended it to me. Then I saw someone in my class reading it and I knew I had to read this book.
Being somewhat familiar with Buddhist teachings, I unlike some, don’t find the content of this book too complicated in terms of the teachings.
This book too me is an inspiring account of a genuine Buddhist practitioner working with the hardest of circumstances and thriving because of the dharm
Kristine
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
In Love with the World by Yonget Mingyur Rinpoche is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early May.

The writings of Rinpoche, a Buddhist monk on retreat/sabbatical to study other religions and end-of-life rituals in Asia. It has some elements of The Celestine Prophecy where the journey is the book’s way of conveying lessons and teachings (i.e. chaptered vignettes on mindfulness, facing and acknowledging anxious thoughts and transgressions, impermanence, experiencing both awareness and emptiness
Stephanie
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely fabulous. The insights and wisdom shared by Mingyur Rinpoche are endless. I listened to this book on Audible and after chapter 1 purchased it in hard copy as it is lesson upon lesson of how to move beyond everything you identify with source your identity from pure awareness. I laughed, I got sweaty palms as he had to beg for his first meal...I cried as he wrestled with the decision for life or death. This book is beauty, love and wisdom. It is a must read for life!
Teri Temme
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"...pause and notice what we already have..."
May Ling
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Summary: Such an amazing story of this monk's journey. This is the perfect book during this period where the fear factors are so high. He really breaks down what matters given. Truly beautiful.

I love this idea of Bardo - i.e. the gap - that this silence is beautiful and is the whole point of understanding the present. I love the humility and the way he acknowledges his special treatment. Great reminder .... can't be reminded enough.
p. 5 He talks about the idea of adding fuel to the fire. In som
John Kaufmann
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Mingyur abandons his Tibetan monastery to "live among the people" for three years. I thought this was an interesting premise. However, I thought the narrative was slow. For example, almost halfway through the book he was still into only the second day of his experience. And, while the book was ostensibly about using his meditation practice to guide him through the "chaos" of living the world he would be experiencing, I felt that it actually got in the way -- it helped him avoid really experienci ...more
Will
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were some good takeaways that I highlighted such as joy being a by-product of meditation and not the goal. The goal is awareness, and we tend to miss that, which then leads to "unproductive" meditation that doesn't go the way we would like it to.

I suppose I intended to gain exposure to ideas from a monk about how to live a better more fulfilled life. While there were little tidbits here and there, overall the book just talked about Mingyur's initial journey outside of the temple walls and
Gemma
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for those after a relatable teaching on the Buddhist way.

The thread of the book is a story about a Monk's near-death experience, which spans a few days. The story is used as a reference for the writer to imbue his teachings on all the big topics in Buddhism: impermanence, awareness, death, rebirth, the no-self, and he also covers lesser-talked-about topics: sleep and dreams, working with pain, and giving. Attachment is not covered specifically.

The story is written very perso
Jackie
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautiful introduction to Buddhist thinking
Lian Seng
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting presentation of Tibetan meditation practices and Bardo teachings using a wandering retreat as the backdrop
Daniel Lee
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
p1-adding wood to the fire
c1 who are you
labels' value change along time
under challenge of fire, normal awareness to meditative aware

to pure aware, as from dual to single
c2 acknowledge the wave but stay with the ocean
remember the constant
original questions:reaction ture?assumption correct?where

from?
unpleasant feelings,not run away, not manipulate to pleasant,

just stay with what is with whatever arises
c3 born with a silver spoon
c4 impermanence and death
don't cling to things that do
Kazemi Adachi
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
wow this book is so incredible. would highly recommend as an introductory text as well as more intermediate text for contemporary buddhist studies alike. Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche tells a story that is at once cosmically dramatic and serenely mundane (in that he is just describing life). His story during the early days of his wandering monk period are mythic, and his enlightenment is breathtakingly amazing.
Harry Alleva
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
I am sorry but this book was a huge disappointment. I should have known when the book's jacket contained the hyperbolized statement "This book has the potential to change the reader's life forever". If anything I found myself wishing that the chapter I was on was the last, most especially when the titular character was dying or.....thought he was dying. It reminded me of that Seinfeld episode when Elaine Benes is forced by her boss to attend the theatre to see the movie The English Patient. In t ...more
Colin Schindler
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was most impressed with Mingyur's straightforward way of expressing himself. He presents his tale in a highly detailed, and incredibly honest way. It's surprising, and refreshing, to here someone explain their exact reasoning; even if it is embarrassing, or vain, or prideful. This man is obviously on the path of truth.

For such a positive character, in love with the world, to fully accept death; to use acceptance as his one reliance facing death... Is quite powerful to read about. Especially co
Eddie Chua
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
As Yongey embark on his wandering retreat, what he experienced and narrate in this book is a reminder that in meditation, it’s not the mind will go silent, it’s that I would be one with the voices in my head. Mediation comes in many forms (and names), and in all ways, it’s the means to bring awareness to the thoughts.

So what’s the most common thoughts experienced by Yongey? It’s the discovery of attachments in his life. It is in his narrative of asking “who am I?”, that see how much one is attac
Rob
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a student of Buddhism since I first read "Zen Mind Beginner's Mind" way back in the mid-70's. I have also taken many classes and have had training in both Zen and Tibetan Buddhism.
In studying and practicing on my own I have had any number of questions with respect to applying
the various teachings in my life under practical circumstances (meaning not in a meditation
hall).

This book is an account of Mingyur Rinpoche's leaving the world he has known all his life and
crossing into the wor
Teo 2050
2019.05.31–2019.06.02

Contents

Mingyur Rinpoche (2019) (09:48) In Love with the World - A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying

Prologue

Part I: Adding Wood to the Fire

01. Who Are You?
02. Acknowledge the Wave but Stay with the Ocean
03. Born with a Silver Spoon
04. Impermanence and Death
05. Letting Wisdom Arise
06. What Will You Do in the Bardo?
07. Lessons from Milarepa
08. Varanasi Rail Station
09. Emptiness, Not Nothingness
10. If You See Something, Say Something
11. A Visit from Panic, M
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mt. Lebanon Publi...: In Love with the World by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche 1 4 Jun 11, 2019 04:41PM

• Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind
  • Sadness, Love, Openness: The Buddhist Path of Joy
  • The Guru Drinks Bourbon?
  • Training in Tenderness: Buddhist Teachings on Tsewa, the Radical Openness of Heart That Can Change the World
  • Altered Traits: Science Reveals How Meditation Changes Your Mind, Brain, and Body
  • Welcoming the Unwelcome: Wholehearted Living in a Brokenhearted World
  • Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation
  • The Noble Eightfold Path: Way to the End of Suffering
  • Meditation in Action
  • The Little Book of Being: Practices and Guidance for Uncovering Your Natural Awareness
  • The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism

News & Interviews

“We do not need to get rid of the ego—this unchanging, solid, and unhealthy sense of self—because it never existed in the first place.” 5 likes
“It [mind of absolute reality] is everywhere and nowhere. It’s somewhat like sky—so completely integrated with our existence that we never stop to question its reality or to recognize its qualities.” 3 likes