Start by marking “Dr. Thorne (Chronicles of Barsetshire #3)” as Want to Read:
Dr. Thorne (Chronicles of Barsetshire #3)

Read Book* *Different edition

Dr. Thorne

(Chronicles of Barsetshire #3)

An alternate cover edition for this ISBN can be found here.

'You must give up this mad idea, Frank ... there is but one course left open to you. You MUST marry money'

Doctor Thorne, considered by Trollope to be the best of his works, is a telling examination of the relationship between money and morality.

It recounts the story of the son of a bankrupt landowner, Frank Gresham, who is/>
Paperback, Penguin Classics, 557 pages
Published April 25th 1991 by Penguin Books (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Thorne, please sign up.
Evelyn After Mary Scatcherd, sister of Roger Scatcherd (not yet knighted), becomes pregnant, Roger seeks to punish Dr. Thorne's brother for ruining his…moreAfter Mary Scatcherd, sister of Roger Scatcherd (not yet knighted), becomes pregnant, Roger seeks to punish Dr. Thorne's brother for ruining his sister's reputation. After getting very drunk, Roger confronts Mr. Thorne and hits him (with his walking stick, I think) and the man dies after falling to the pavement. This is how Roger Scatcherd ends up in prison for manslaughter.(less)
Sean O The Warden and Barchester Towers probably should be read in order, because many of the same characters appear in both books.

You don't have…more

You don't have to, the novels stand alone.

The third novel are all new characters with some cameos from the other books.(less)

P-eggy
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Update For you lovers of costume dramas, the BBC dramatisation of Dr. Thorne started tonight, March 6th. It will definitely be enjoyable schlock because it's written by Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey fame. Whether or not Fellowes can bring out Trollope's attitudes towards snobbery and convention rather than morality being important, I don't know. The BBC certainly failed with The Ladies' Paradise turning it into a silly romance about a poor pretty girl and skipping entirely Zola's social commentary on the e ...more
Patty
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doctor Thorne kept me company during a hurricane. I don't really understand how anyone could possibly not love Anthony Trollope. This 624 page novel went incredibly fast. Trollope is more courteous, more solicitous, gentler and kinder to his readers than any other author I know. I almost thought he might even pour my tea. The story, that of a romance complicated by societal predjudice, has been told by many authors, in many times and places. But the way he tells the tale is just incomparable.
Bradley
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have never read anything by Anthony Trollope until now. Of course, I've heard of him alongside names such as Charles Dickens and an earlier generation edified by Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters.

To say that there are a lot of novels about marriages being dominated by money and status in these popular Victorian (or Regency) novels is to be laughed out of the pub for being a damn rube. I'm almost to the point in my thinking that there is NO other kind of popular novel. Romance? Che
Sotiris Karaiskos
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This book was the reason of my acquaintance with the author. Some time ago I had seen the TV series bassed on it at random, which make me curious to search for his work. I have already started doing this by reading the first two books of the chronicles, making the best impressions. These good impressions, however, are not compared to the effect that this book had on me.

The author leaves aside the subjects of the Anglican church to deal with other subjects, such as the ever-time theme
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I think I read this out of order but it doesn't even matter because either way, the story was fabulous!
Jane
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Doctor Thorne is the third novel in Anthony Trollope’s series known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire; set in Greshamsbury, a rural town many miles away from the cathedral city the was the setting for the first two novels.

Mr Francis Gresham is the squire of Greshamsbury, and as he story begins he is celebrating the coming of age of his only son, Frank, with his family and friends. The squire is rightly proud of his son, who is handsome, good-natured, and popular; and his great hope is
This one felt almost too easy for Trollope, but it's got plenty of subtleties and peculiarities of its own. I'm having a grand old time with the series.
Steve Cooper
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I moved to Singapore 20 years ago, one of the things that surprised me the most was how openly people there discussed what things cost. Upon seeing that a colleague wore a new watch, 'How much, lah?' was the likeliest comment. At first, this attitude made me uncomfortable, but after a few years traveling in Asia I got used to, and actually appreciated, that frankness.

Trollope doesn't treat cold economic reality as a taboo subject either, and although it probably caused a whiff o
Cynthia
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trollope
I've read 99 percent of the trollopes, even the obscure ones, and this one is my absolute favorite. It has all the best fantasy romance elements (a wisecracking unmarried heiress who finds true love, a lovely young couple who are kept apart by poverty — until she turns out to secretly be the daughter of a very wealthy person) and more. It's got all the best of Trollope and allows you to indulge your fantasy that maybe someday everything will work out in your own life...
I'm curious to know
Haaze
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Trollopians, British lit fans, 19th century novel fans, romantics.
Entering the realm of Trollope is a magical experience. The writing is exquisite with waves of vocabulary and lingering sentences that virtually have their own linguistic flavor. It transports you to the realm of Barsetshire in mid-19th century England, and the midst of a number of personalities that you will literally live with as hundreds of pages unfold. Trollope has the power to place one (as a reader) among these individuals, sharing sorrows, happiness, conflicts, thoughts and daily lives. ...more
Deanna
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Trollope is definitely hit and miss for me. This was a miss by a mile.

I slogged through about a third of this behemoth, which takes a very very long time to even get going.

Trollope's barely-focused long-windedness is the defining feature here, and there was never enough momentum gathered to pay off the effort to tread water with this one.

TheSkepticalReader
I’m starting to see why Trollope is considered one of the more under-appreciated Victorian novelists. While some things happen in this book a little too conveniently for the ending to be wrapped up more nicely, Trollope’s writing is strong, precise, and very, very clever.
Sean
For God sakes, Frank must marry money!!!! Trollope reiterates this necessity over and over again in this third novel in Barchester Chronicles series. This is series of six novels that keep getting longer and longer with each book. At the end of Doctor Thorne and we are left exactly in the middle of this great series which is reputed to be one of Trollope’s finest work.

This volume in the series steers away from much of the church politics and intrigue that are involved in the first two books, Th
Nicole
It's official: I am totally smitten with Anthony Trollope.
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Katie Lumsden
The hopeless romantic in me really loved this book, even though it is a bit predictable. As always, where Trollope shines is characterization. The main characters became so real to me that I started speculating about their futures beyond the pages. Although this was a five-star read for the first 2/3 of the book, I felt that Trollope drew the resolution out far too long, and the book would have been stronger with about 100 pages cut.

Simon Vance's audiobook narration was, as always, nearly perfe
Vashti
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on society mores and values in the Victorian era.Loved it !!!
Plateresca
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I love long English novels, so I expected to like 'Doctor Thorne' more than I actually did. The main characters are the doctor, his niece, and a young man who's in love with her. While the doctor is more or less likeable from the beginning, the niece, in my opinion, becomes so by the middle of the book, and the third character, closer to the end, if at all, - which was disappointing for me since I like to sympathise with the main characters. At the same time, the secondary characters are portray ...more
Trisha
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It’s hard to know why I am such a Trollope fan since many of his characters – especially the females – are so hard to relate to. Take the insipid and maddeningly passive Mary Thorne, the novel’s heroine, who simply accepts every cruel twist of fate that keeps her from marrying the man she loves even though he loves her in return (but must look elsewhere for a bride since he must marry for money in order to save the family estate.) You’d think a plot like this would be enough for me to abandon th ...more
Greg
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very enjoyable book (the third) in Trollope's "Barsetshire" series. However, the second in the series seemed to me to have more plot lines while "Doctor Thorne" had a singular one: "Frank must marry money." Still, it's amazing to me that Trollope kept me entertained all through this volume's 700+ pages. But his writing is just beautiful and smart and funny and consistent and smooth. And Trollope has a unique and grounded way to fully describe his characters so that we immediately know so ...more
Katie Lumsden
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one - although perhaps didn't find it as original as Barchester Towers. Nonetheless, great characters, and Trollope's writing is lovely and easy to follow throughout. A joy to read.
Blaine DeSantis
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah yes, book 3 of the Chronicles of Baretshire and we meet a whole new cast of characters and some wonderful wit from this prolific author who was a contemporary of Dickens. Baretshire is a 6-book series set in the imaginary county of Baretshire and in this book we deal with the Dr. Thorne's family along with those of local county squire Frank Gresham. Lots of family history here as well as a very good representation of the 1850's in England, a time when "blood" mattered more in matrimonial choi ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
I am helpless against the charm of entertaining and cute suspenseful plots of Victorian young adults in love but struggling against overwhelming class disapproval of their relationships, despite the obvious irritations to me about the treatment of women and the assumed virtues in maintaining the English class system by the characters in 'Doctor Thorne', third novel in the Barsetshire series. Since the story takes place (and was written) in 1858 England about characters in a conservative farming ...more
Michael

High birth, pure blood and money. To those fortunate enough to be born into the upper classes of mid-19th century English society these are the three essential ingredients one must have to acquire and preserve wealth. In “Doctor Thorne” we encounter two such privileged families, the Greshams and the de Courcy’s. While there is a relatively large cast of characters the story revolves around three; Doctor Thorne, a physician with a small-town practice, his niece Mary Thorne and Frank
LaRae
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This was my first Anthony Trollope. I had no idea he was so funny -- some things made me laugh out loud. It was a thoroughly delightful romp, with a predictably happy ending. I enjoyed his writing.

In addition to the humor, there are some deeper subjects explored, like alcoholism, and prejudice based on birth. For those who enjoy reading the classics, I highly recommend this one.
From BBC radio 4:
Anthony Trollope's Dr Thorne by Michael Symmons Roberts

Episode 1 of 3
When Frank Gresham proposes to Dr Thorne's niece Mary on his twenty first birthday, his parents are horrified. Mary is poor and her parentage is unknown. To save the indebted Greshambury estate Frank must marry for money, not love. A rich heiress is hastily thrust towards him as a more suitable prospect.

Episode 2 of 3
Back from a term at Cambridge, young Frank Gresham is
booklady
The third in the Barchester Chronicles. This is my second read of Doctor Thorne and although I enjoyed it much more this time than on my first experience of it, it is not Trollope’s best, nor my favorite. Part of my disappointment with it the first time was its focus on a complete new set of characters. Except for an occasional mention of Ullathorne, Dr. Grantly, or the Bishop and the formidable Mrs. Proudie, it didn’t even seem as if we were in Barsetshire, a place I had grown to love in the last two ...more
Spiros
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "Arrested Development"
Shelves: citylights
The plot is like taking a familiar train ride: one knows where one is going to wind up, and one knows where all the stops are going to be. The pleasure is in watching the scenery (i.e., the characters) go by. Trollope leaves out the Clergy in this one (Mr. Oriel might as well be a gentleman of independant means, for all his rectorship intrudes upon the story), concentrating on the aristocracy, the gentry, and, most entertainingly, on the lawyers. Outside of Dickens, I haven't enjoyed description ...more
Eddie Clarke
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fiction, 2018
Amanda
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, trollope
The depictions of alcoholism were fascinating. I enjoyed Mary and Doctor Thorne quite a lot. They had more modern viewpoints at times which made them seem quite spunky. Lady Arabella, while realistic, was infuriating. Like in other Trollopes I’ve read, I think there was too much repetition of ideas and conversations. Too often did I read “Frank must marry money.” I look forward to continuing with the series, though!
Laurel Hicks
Birth and blood, money and marriage, of such is this novel made. Whether it shall be a Cinderella story, the ending shall tell, and I never shall. This is one of my favorite novels by Trollope.
Exploring Anthony...: Doctor Thorne 2 27 Feb 16, 2014 12:37PM

• August Folly
  • The History of Henry Esmond, Esq.
  • Barnaby Rudge
  • The Awkward Age
  • Scenes of Clerical Life
  • Miss Marjoribanks (Chronicles of Carlingford, #5)
  • Ruth
  • Basil
  • Two on a Tower
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • New Grub Street
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. N

Chronicles of Barsetshire (6 books)
  • The Warden  (Chronicles of Barsetshire #1)
  • Barchester Towers (Chronicles of Barsetshire #2)
  • Framley Parsonage (Chronicles of Barsetshire #4)
  • The Small House at Allington (Chronicles of Barsetshire #5)
  • The Last Chronicle of Barset (Chronicles of Barsetshire #6)
“Conduct! Is conduct everything? One may conduct oneself excellently, and yet break one's heart.” 8 likes
“Rest and quiet are the comforts of those who have been content to remain in obscurity.” 3 likes