Start by marking “Mermaids Are Real: The Mystiq Prong” as Want to Read:
Mermaids Are Real: The Mystiq Prong

Mermaids Are Real: The Mystiq Prong

WARNING: This book is for middle graders and the rare few who have refused to grow up.

If you would find yourself sneering at the mention of a mahloowoo (Aqaurien for fish fart) or scoffing at someone telling you about a recent spouting (Aquarien for a dolphin blowing air out of their blowhole up someone’s backside), you might be better off picking up a newspaper and playi
Published July 24th 2018 by Independently published (first published July 23rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Mermaids Are Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaids Are Real

Vishnu Chevli
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, english
When I saw "Mermaids Are Real: The Mystiq Prong" by Bo Wu on Vishnu Chevli's account it instantly caught my attention. I was about to ask him to lend me the copy, and I got a message from him whether I can take the book or not.

First, I would like to talk about the cover and the title of this book. When I first read the title, in my head in the background grand drumrolls were going on and I could fantasy an epic mermaid land. After reading this book I can say I was totally satisfied.

The story is
Heena Rathore P.
Mermaids Are Real: The Mystiq Prong by Bo Wu is a pleasant new young adult fantasy book with a nice concept and a strong plot. I enjoyed reading this book, though initially, it took me some time to get into it. But once I was hooked, it was difficult to not read it in one sitting.

The concept of this book is not only beautiful but also very well-meaning and has a lot to teach its readers. The way the author executed the plot and the storyline, it came across beautifully and the message of the sto
Finley
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free through a giveaway hosted on GoodReads.

Mermaids Are Real: The Mystiq Prong is a mystical journey through and even more magical world. It picks up right before Benji Fisher, the son of a local fisherman in a small town, gets the biggest surprise of his life. Benji has never been the most popular boy in school, being born with gill-like birthmarks on his neck, nor did he have a completely normal life in private, having developed powers like telekinesis and the ability
Jewel Hart
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnificent, mesmerizing and delightful!

In Mermaids are Real, Bo Wu has crafted an unbelievable world filled with delightful colorful characters, vivid sea creatures, beautiful coral reefs and plant life. The story follows, Benji Fisher, a twelve year old boy that has lived by the sea his entire life. While out on his surfboard he can hear nature speaking to him. Then it becomes literal, and Benji finds himself talking to an octopus and three dolphins on the eve of his thirteenth birthday. Benji
Anthony
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.

A phenomenal new YA adventure begins in author Bo Wu’s novel Mermaids Are Real: The Mystiq Prong. Here is the synopsis.

The Synopsis

“'Crabs talk?' asked Benji.

'Everything in nature speaks. Not everything in nature listens,' said Octavius nodding Topside."

Benji Fisher has spent the first twelve years of his life growing up in a small fishing town, Topside. He’s gotten used to the gang of dolphin
Energy
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Benji has happily lived his life with his father, a fisherman, spending his days on the water in the boat or surfing. When he starts hearing the sea creatures, specifically two dolphins, he keeps it to himself for a while before letting his father know. But once his father knows of Benji's abilities, a whole new world starts to open up for him. A world in Aquari with mermaids with fantastical abilities.

Benji is more than just your ordinary mermaid (if there is such a thing), and as he delves de
ღ Ruqs ღ
*thank you to the author for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for a free review*

DNF-ed (Did not finish)

There is nothing outright wrong with this book - the writing is good, the characterisation is good, and the plot is good. In the right hands, this book will be an absolute favourite for many people, I'm sure.

It's just that unfortunately, it's not for me. Although the book is said to be a Young Adult fantasy, I personally feel like it's geared more towards a Middle Grade fantasy, due
Romi || Romi Reads
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-possession
I really had a love-hate relationship with Mermaids are Real and that wasn’t the book its fault. It was just that I have a love-hate relationship with (Young Adult) fantasy in general. It’s really hit or miss with me. Where I just flow through books from genres that I love (horror, thriller, romance), I often get stuck every now and then in a fantasy story. This is mainly because the author has to explain a whole new world to its reader and that just doesn’t always work for me.

Although I just do
Erik McManus
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book. If I had to say a book that it was like, the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan comes to mind. This series was just magical and I had the same feeling of magic and adventure when reading this book. It was mainly set underwater which appealed to me as I love the water and was called a fish as a child.

The main character Benji is very lovable. He is just trying to figure out his life at 13 years old and is then thrown into an entirely new world that he now needs to adapt
Adele
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A self published YA fantasy novel, Mermaids are Real explores the relationship humans have with the ocean and our general disregard for the damage our lifestyles are doing to it. Benji is just turning 13 when he discovers that he isn’t actually a regular human kid that just happens to be able to talk to animals, he is in fact the last of his kind and belongs in the ocean with the rest of the mermaids. His parents were killed when he was just a baby because of their belief that if they revealed t ...more
Kristin
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the beginning chapters do take place on land, the majority of the story takes place beneath the water. If I were to describe the plot, it would be a cross between a Studio Ghibli film and Laurence Yep’s Dragon series. Bo creates an immersive and magical world of talking sea creatures and beautiful oceanic realms. The author takes large portions of the story to describe the world around Benji and lets his readers know exactly what Aquari looks like.

The focus is on Benji, however, and his pe
Linda Wayne
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really hard to put down. Starting out on land, in a small southern town, the reader quickly lunges into the ocean among quirky, fun-loving marine life and a daring adventure of self-discovery.

The writer employs a paintbrush in his descriptions as he makes the sea world and the fictional creatures so life-like, the coral and sunken ships so beautiful, and the action so intense. Drama abounds as each chapter unfolds.

Mr. Wu has a vivid, colorful way of showing us the hidden wonders of
M
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review first published on Oh Just Books.

Sometimes, I am really grateful that I review books, because it makes me find new books I may not have come across otherwise, or even made myself read to the end. If it wasn't a review copy, I may not have known of it, and that would be a shame because this book was amazing. The world building was absolutely fantastic and I adored the concept and level of details.

It starts off immediately interesting, and we are introduced to Benji, whom bullies call
Linda
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is so well written I couldn’t put it down once I got started!
Bo Wu is an exceptional writer, taking us on a journey under the sea through the characters and the incredible world he has created, making it real and inviting.
There is a great level of character development in the book. Bo Wu brings so much life and personality to every single one of them. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Benji and his path to self-discovery and growth.
His journey is filled with wisdom and lessons we c
Erin Kahn
Mermaids are awesome. Which brings up a valid question: why aren't there more books about them? And why is is that all the books about mermaids I've ever read are so dull?

Now, I'm sure there's some mermaid book out there that's super awesome; but at the moment I can't think of a single non-picture book about mermaids that actually held my interest long enough for me to finish it. (Anyone read The Water Babies?)

Bo Wu's Mermaids Are Real isn't bad as far as books about mermaids go. The author has
Bo
Jan 19, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle graders and young-at-heart adults
A little something from the Author:

I'll spare you the 5-star rating, but I'll tell you why it's my favorite book.

I came up with the idea for Mermaids Are Real during a stay with my aunt and uncle. I was in my late thirties and I had completely crashed and burned. They agreed to put me up while I got back on my feet. During that time, my aunt got sick with breast cancer. She's now several years out from that and cancer free, but we just lost my uncle, to whom I am eternally grateful. Like everyon
Matt McAvoy
This vivid and colourfully descriptive book goes straight into full-scale fantastical with very little warning. Telling the tale of Benji, a thirteen-year-old boy who finds out he is, in fact, a mermaid/man, it seems two-parts children’s book to one-part grown-up. Personally, I feel it is much better in its mature moments, because the story, once it starts to form, is a pretty good one – and an important one at that.

Wu is clearly passionate about the life in our oceans, and the message is a har
gypsydreams
Holly
Alesha Lenard

• Pretty Marys All in a Row
  • Spirits of the Heart
  • How To Survive The Zombie Apocalypse: The Complete Guide To Urban Survival, Prepping and Zombie Defense.
  • All-New Wolverine #1
  • Tell Me: Children, Reading, and Talk
  • Abaddon
  • We Own the Sky (The Muse Chronicles #1)
  • A Life of Death (A Life of Death Trilogy #1)
  • Ebba, the first Easter Hare (SPRING) (FOUR SEASONS Book 2)
  • Severe(d): A Creepy Poetry Collection
  • Bending Nature: A different kind of vampire novel
  • The Curse of the Skyfolk (The Rogue War Saga, #1)
  • The Sojourners
  • Ten Sheep to Sleep
  • Brother Iron, Sister Steel: A Bodybuilder's Book
  • Girl of Fire (Expulsion Project, #1)
  • What She Wanted
  • Poisoned Arrow
Citizen of the world. Humble servant of planet Earth whose goal is to bring increased awareness to the oceans and all its beautiful creatures through the fictional underwater world he's created in Mermaids Are Real.

Visit the website: