Start by marking “The Girl and the Wolf” as Want to Read:
The Girl and the Wolf

The Girl and the Wolf

While picking berries with her mother, a little girl wanders too far into the woods. When she realizes she is lost, she begins to panic. A large grey wolf makes a sudden appearance between some distant trees. Using his sense of smell, he determines where she came from and decides to help her. Through a series of questions from the wolf, the little girl realizes she had the ...more
Published February 5th 2019 by Theytus Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girl and the Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl and the Wolf

Danielle
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A girl, a helpful wolf that guides her toward her own resourcefulness, a thank you. Life-affirming with beautiful illustrations from Julie Flett.
V
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t, 2019t
Why we chose this book:
So apparently T is telling people, "They don't teach us anything at farm school. We have to figure it out ourselves." Self-reliance and problem solving are skills we want to encourage, and the description explained this as a goal of the book. Orca Books provided a review copy.

Mom's Review (V)

A little girl runs into the woods while her mother is picking berries, only to become lost almost immediately. A wolf appears, but in a reversal of Little Red Riding Hood, the wolf hel
Leslie
Out with her mother picking berries, the girl ran too far and as the night draws closer, she found she was lost. A “tall grey wolf with big white teeth” appears. What follows is a quiet and steady calm in an otherwise fraught situation. A girl dressed in red, alone and lost, the wolf reassures her that she can find what she needs, food and water…and her encampment. There’s a remarkable tenderness in the way the wolf interacts with her.

I’m certain the illustrations help; the wolf isn’t looming, b
Jana
This interesting picture book tells the story of a little girl who runs too fast, despite warning from her mother not to do so, and winds up lost in the woods as it's getting dark. She encounters a wolf who winds up being a surprising source of help. Most of the wolf stories we read portray them as malevolent beings that are frightening. This could start a good discussion about why the author chose to have the wolf be friendly and helpful rather than scary and mean.
Elizabeth
Love this! I'm a big fan of both Julie Flett and Katherena Vermette, so hearing that this book even existed made me pretty happy. I actually put it on hold when my library ordered it so I could read it right away.

The art is gorgeous as always, I would never expect less from Julie Flett. Vermette's storytelling is on point here with a really nicely done retelling of Red Riding Hood with the wolf as a helper.

I definitely enjoyed this and would recommend it.
Brooklyn Cribdon (Kemp)
Vermette & Flett have given us an indigenous twist on the old "girl meets a wolf in the forest" tale....and I LOVE it. It was so nice to feel the genuine kindness and trust between these two unlikely friends. The author's note at the end was great too as it explained the idea behind this book, and the significance of a tobacco offering.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A gorgeous, still and reflective story that breaks the expected devious wolf narrative with a focus on capability, problem-solving, and showing sincere appreciation to the animal world. As ever, Julie Flett's artwork is breathtaking and the collaboration between Flett and award-winning author Katherena Vermette is tremendous.
Pam
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The young girl heads int the forest too far from her mom and gets lost. She meets an older wolf who helps her find her way back. Interesting portrayal of old legends about wolves helping children. Simple illustrations pull the reader in.
Robin
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Luminous illustrations, thoughtful reimagining of the classic girl/wolf dynamic. The girl having the power to rescue herself reminds me of one of my favorite childhood stories. Highly recommended for ages 4-7.
Melissa
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I know someone who would like the idea of the wolf being helpful instead of evil. The color palette in the illustrations is great.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wolf comes to the aid of a girl lost in the woods. The girl ties tobacco in cloth and leaves it in gratitude. Author Vermette is Métis and illustrator Julie Flett is Cree-Métis.
Aliza Werner
A folktale feel in which the wolf is a good guy. Author and illustrator are of indigenous nations: Métis and Cree.
Kendra
Emily
Feb 18, 2019
David
Feb 14, 2019
Katherena Vermette is a Canadian writer, who won the Governor General's Award for English-language poetry in 2013 for her collection North End Love Songs. Vermette is of Metis descent and from Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was a MFA student in creative writing at the University of British Columbia.

Her children's picture book series The Seven Teachings Stories was published by Portage and Main Press in 2