Start by marking “What Makes Girls Sick and Tired” as Want to Read:
What Makes Girls Sick and Tired

What Makes Girls Sick and Tired

What Makes Girls Sick and Tired is a feminist manifesto that denounces the discrimination against and unfairness felt by women from childhood to adulthood. The graphic novel, illustrated in a strikingly minimalist style with images of girls with varied body types and personalities, invites teenagers to question the sexism that surrounds us, in ways that are obvious and hid ...more
Expected publication: March 18th 2019 by Second Story Press

MissBecka
Thank you NetGalley and Second Story Press for this DRC.

"Girls are less sick and tired when they are encouraging, supportive, and united in solidarity with one another. It's the best part of feminism."

I think everyone can be included and encouraged to read this book, not just girls.
How wonderful that books like this are being released to create questions, discussions and movements in a forward direction. I think this is a fantastic read for all teens and adults alike!

There is of course more tha
Jane
I don't know how to rate this one fairly. I love the concept, and I think that there are some points made in the book that could launch some powerful discussions. There are some great stats included, and the material covers a lot of bases.

But I struggle to understand who the appropriate target audience is. For the most part, this really just reads like someone preaching to the choir; those who would pick up this book are likely already well-versed in the material within.

I'd be tempted to want
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
What Makes Girls Sick and Tired is a short, illustrated collection of reasons why feminism is so necessary, and why women are exhausted in this world we live in. It's a great collection that raises plenty of valid points, and I genuinely adored how diverse and intersectional it is; the author and illustrator are both cis white women, and they acknowledge their privileges in this sense, but the book itself focuses frequently on the specific experiences of women of color, indigenous women, queer w ...more
Helly
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short and crisp illustrated book, you need to throw on the faces of patriarchal and sexist people. I liked this read immensely and although I felt more creativity could have gone into the presentation, I am genuinely moved due to the relatable images and portraits of a woman in this book. It does not matter what your nationality is, you will relate. Thanks to NetGalley for a review copy.
Emma
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is a lovely little book about feminism and sexism. It definitely is a good way to start and also provoke a conversation/discussion. I found myself agreeing with basically every single example this book gives. The author really did a nice job and I'll definitely check out other stuff by them.
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
Yesssss PREACH IT!!!!!

I got this as a short, illustrated eARC and you really can just sit down and read it all at once.

There is so much feminism power contained in so few pages, it's really incredible!!

I only wish it was longer. There are so many more things that could have been included, especially since the book did such a great job of everything that it did include.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with a review copy! All opinions are my own.
Nicole
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
First things first: I received this book through NetGalley

Summary: What Makes Girls Sick and Tired is a feminist manifesto that denounces the discrimination against and unfairness felt by women from childhood to adulthood. The graphic novel, illustrated in a strikingly minimalist style with images of girls with varied body types and personalities, invites teenagers to question the sexism that surrounds us, in ways that are obvious and hidden, simple and complex.

The book's beginnings as a fanzine
Leticia
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-reads
I would like to thank NetGalley and Second Story Press for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a valiant effort on talking about the issues not only girls, but also women off all ages are sick and tired of.

This is also an interesting manifesto, however, as the book states, it is written from the point of view of a woman living in a first world country.

My main complaint is that it's too short and goes quickly through how extremely troublesome the curre
Julie lit pour les autres
Les messages les plus percutants sont souvent les plus simples. Ceux qui sont exprimés dans cet album aux tons gris bleu font mouche, à toutes les pages.

Ici, on s'adresse autant aux adultes qu'aux ados. Ici, toutes les phrases débutent par "Les filles ont mal au ventre parce que". Ce qui suit cette entrée en matière est un exemple de sexisme ordinaire ou flagrant. Stéréotypes sexuels, rapport au corps, violences... Les filles n'ont pas mal à la tête, non : ici on comprend que c'est le viscéral
Bibliomaniaque
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
À maintes reprises, je me suis dit « Oh, tellement! » Toutes les réalités décrites dans cet album ne s’appliquent pas à la mienne. C’est là aussi une des forces de l’œuvre. On nous en apprend plus sur la condition des femmes un peu partout à travers le monde. On réalise bien vite que malgré les améliorations qu’on peut voir en Amérique du Nord, il reste encore des croutes à manger pour que l’égalité soit indéniable.
sofia (sam willows)
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
it took me literally five minutes to read this, and i’m not so sure what i think about it. for one, the intentions of the author and illustrator are honorable, and the things they talked about very much need to be talked about more. but their points were also very basic, and although they were important, they weren’t exactly anything new.

the future readers of this comic, i believe, will be just like me: intersectional feminists who are all too aware of the issues presented here. it makes for a
Delirious Disquisitions
I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

2 Stars. What Makes Girls Sick and Tired is a series of cue-card-esque collection of things that girls and women "sick and tired" of. With a very minimalist art design to accompany these pieces of writing, Lucielle De Peslouan lays bare the myriad issues women face today: everything from sexual assault, harassment, to body issues, sexism, misogyny, double standards, wage laws, etc. De Peslouan's short pieces do as they are desig
Robin Bonne
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short, illustrated book that highlights some of the issues that girls and women are sick of.

The problems are familiar. I did have an instinctual response to a few of the problems that caused emotional reactions. One page might make me snicker from relatability, another would make me want to cry. It isn’t an uplifting read.

My biggest complaint is how short this was. The illustrations are cute, but not so complex that it couldn’t have been expanded to include an even broader range of things gi
Char (lunarchar_)
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, owned
(ARC) A big mood. A painfully heart-wrenching honest mood. A book about the honesty of being a women. A book about diversity. A book everyone should read. A book that makes me even prouder to be a feminist. A book that motivates change.
Fanna
This was a quick read and while I wished it lasted longer, I was extremely happy with what was offered in 48 pages. What Makes Girls Sick and Tired is a collection of single paragraphs or lines that identify the annoying societal issues or the norms that can resonate with every woman. Whether it's about paying more like a tax on products that are being sold at a less amount for the opposite gender, or about being paid less in the same workplace position. Not only this, there are some highlights ...more
This book was not written for me, well, not the me of almost 60 years of age.

All the concerns and statements I know all to well. They are facts, they are not made up, and they are true for all women.

Women of my age have lived with these truths all our lives.

This book is for the generations to come, for the younger girls and women who might still not know how women are being treated in this world, and will fight like hell to make sure it doesn't continue.

All in all, this is a list of all that is
Sakina
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Lecture obligée. Excellente lecture féministe.
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
This short graphic novel constantly had me nodding and wanting to scream yes. Straight to the point and with illustrations, it approaches why women are feminists. Why we are tired of earning less, of paying more with the pink tax, and why generally, we are tired of men thinking they have a right or a say when it comes to our bodies (big NO).

So overall, this has a nice message, though I definitely wish it had more content.

*Thanks to Edelweiss and the Publisher for the review copy in exchange of a
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
Thanks to the publisher for providing me with this e-ARC!
I enjoyed reading this book and it has a great message, sadly it was quite short. I would have loved to read more, I think it ended a bit abruptly and more details would have been amazing!
Even so, I adored how statistics were included in this book, statistics that were meant to show how much we still need feminism. The book was very diverse and I loved the way the authors were very aware of their privilege and the limits they had on telli
Rebecca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy for an honest review.

What makes Girls sick and tired is a short illustrated book that talks about feminist topics. I do think it could have been done better and could have added more in. I did agree with things in it. I think there should have been more detail and talk about things more and added more in than they did. I gave this a 3.5 out of five stars.
Scarlet Cameo
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: rc-18
"What make girls sick and tired" is a ñittle resume abut why feminist is important for women. Try to point in the most concise way the main points of feminist today. This book have a few mistakes, not exactly in th info but how this is interpreted (the wage gap has many more edges than those presented here, and their calculation considers them) but overall is a good start about wonen issue.

A digital copy of this book was provided by NetGalley
Melanie Brault
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un livre riche, plusieurs ouvertures à des discussions, des débats... J’aimerais avoir l’opinion des hommes sur les questionnements que suscitent l’œuvre.
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Girls are sick and tired
Because women’s bodies
Are always an issue.
Whether they are covered
by yards of fabric or
Completely revealed

Girls are sick and tired of
feeling like they have to wear
a push-up bra to be sexy, while
they have to hide their breasts
when nursing a child

What Makes Girls Sick and Tired by Lucile De Pesloüan is a short minimalist styled graphic novel about things we are sick of. It simplifies issues such as body autonomy, rape, wage gap, and the "pink tax," which is the extra pr
Alexa
I received a copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

What Makes Girls Sick and Tired is essentially an illustrated list of ways misogyny manifests in everyday life, from big things to seemingly small ones. It covers topics such as gendered division of labour, fetishization/objectification, cat calling, rape statistics, wage gaps, media representation, and more. As a white nonbinary person I found it inclusive, with issues concerning women of colour, queer women and disabled women
Tara
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This needs to be handed out in schools. This book is a great starting point for women and men of all ages, to begin discussions about feminism and women. It is well presented with thought provoking statements and pictures alongside them. The pictures themselves are great points of discussion and completely enhance the book. I really enjoyed this and there were a few points in it that I was surprised and shocked, we can all learn something new and the fight isn't over. I highly recommend this for ...more
Kartika
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only negative I have of this graphic representation is its length. I loved the illustrations and I loved the content. I wish it had included more and was even more detailed than it already is.
Loved this little read. So powerful!

Thanks to Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Martina
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review..

I liked very much the concept of this lovely graphic novel. It faces important themes such as feminism and sexism in a simple but yet powerful and effective way. With just a few pages, it lays the foundations for a real confrontation on the matter.
I just wish it was a bit longer than this. There are so many things that could have been included here, even if I think it covered most of the major poin
Kate
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Says a lot - not necessarily anything new - but all of it essential reading.
Stephanie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This was a quick and fun little read. I feel like it should be a mandatory read for every child before they hit puberty. Girls needs to realize they are more than society tells them they are and boys need to learn that girls are people and not objects like society teaches them they are. The art is simple and almost monotone but it’s good that it’s not flashy or takes away from the words.
Girls are sick and tired and need to be listened to. This world needs to change. Girls deserve change.
ARC prov
Tori (alwaysbookphoenix) Kisamore
I received this as an e-Arc From NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I really enjoyed this! The points were clear and the illustrations were great! I just wish it was a tad longer!
  • Chainmail Bikini: The Anthology of Women Gamers
  • Spock Reflections
  • Dead Feminists: Historic Heroines in Living Color
  • The Crabby Condition (The March of the Crabs #1)
  • Forgotten Women: The Leaders (Forgotten Women)
  • Undocumented: A Worker's Fight
  • Letters for Lucardo, Vol. 1
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Of Women: In the 21st Century
  • Brass Sun: The Wheel of Worlds
  • Jane Austen (Pequeña & GRANDE, #11)
  • La pourpre et l'or