Start by marking “Trail of Crumbs” as Want to Read:
Trail of Crumbs

Trail of Crumbs

After moving into a dank and drafty basement suite in West Edmonton with her truck- driving father, nasty stepmother and taciturn twin brother, Ash, seventeen-year-old Greta doesn't have high expectations for her last year of high school. When she blacks out at a party and is told the next day that she's had sex, she thinks things can't get any worse. She's wrong.

While Gre
Expected publication: March 26th 2019 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Trail of Crumbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trail of Crumbs

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of TRAIL OF BREADCRUMBS by Lisa J Lawrence in exchange for my honest review.***

When Greta and Ash’s evil stepmother convinces their father to abandon them, their eccentric landlord takes them in. Greta is also dealing with school bullying following a date rape. TRAIL OF BREADCRUMBS is a story about the family we have and the family we create, about friendships, love and forgiveness.

Lisa Lawrence tackles some important topics in this mi
The Book Valkyrie
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc

Disclaimer: This Ebook was provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Trigger Warnings:

Parental neglect, rape, slut-shaming

My Rating:

5 STARS

Initially, I requested this ARC on NetGalley due to my misconception that it was a Hansel and Gretal retelling. While it certainly does contain some noticeable elements found in the classic fairy tale we all know and love, I definitely wouldn't deem it a "retelling".

Because it's honestly so much more than that.

Trail of
In the fable of Hansel and Gretal, a loving father listens to his wife, and tries to get rid of his children.

While this is not exactly a modern retelling of the story of Hansel and Gretal, there are parallels. There is an evil step-mother. There is a loving but controled husband. There is abandonment. And although the teenagers (rather than children) do find what appears to be someone else to take care of them, it is not with an evil witch that wants to eat them, but with a sad landlord, who is
GANGSEY
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Trail of Crumbs is not a book for the faint-of-heart. It is a story of grief, death and somewhat a cliche of a found-family trope and a promised Hansel and Gretel retelling. It is not a retelling.

This is a story of two high school siblings who have lost their mother to cancer and have a grieving father who is mentally absent from their lives. They are in the middle of dealing with their new step-mother who is just as manipulative and verbally abusive as you'd expect. As this book starts off we
Emma Harris
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
**Thank you to NetGalley for providing me a free ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review**

"Elgin turned back to the window, studying the stark black and white of night. 'This can't be it. I won't accept it. I refuse it, in fact.' Grief hardened his gentle voice. 'Impossible that this is the real world.'"

Wow.. Just wow. It takes a lot for a book to make me cry - I can count on one hand the number of stories that have actually moved me to tears. This is one of them. I was caught off-guar
Anne
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
The review copy arrived with a sticker attached that read “Lead Title”. The sticker was no mistake – this is an exciting YA title by a relatively new author. Lisa Lawrence’s first book “Rodent” also garnered a lot of attention and “Trail of Crumbs” which is a kind of a riff on Hansel and Gretel is also deserving of some good noise.

Greta lives in Edmonton with her father, stepmother Patty and twin brother Ash. Things have steadily deteriorated since her mother died of breast cancer seven years ag
May
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Trigger warnings: rape, parental neglect!!

** I received an ARC of Trail of Crumbs from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I first saw that Trail of Crumbs was loosely referenced from Hansel & Gretel, I expected the story to be dark. What I didn’t expect was how much I would love the characters. Greta and her twin Ash encompassed every violent and bleak emotion I felt during my own time in high school. They took me back to the darker bits of my experience– juggling a course load
Tanya Geno
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
I've received this book as an ARC, free of charge in exchange for my honest opinion.

First thoughts

The cover wasn’t the most appealing to me because of the black lines (that I now just noticed it’s a maze that totally relates to the story). When I started this book, I didn’t have high expectations, but I am happy how the story connects with me and how it opened my eyes to these everyday events.

Strengths

I love how each character develops in the book! Greta and Ash have both been through a lot di
Ecke Brandt
Trail of Crumbs isn’t a pretty story but sure it is lovely.

I loved the characters, I felt that they all fitted perfectly into the story, even the minor ones that only appear a few times. Elgin was adorable, and the setting was just amazing. A greenhouse in -30 degrees weather in Canada? I’ll take two hundred.

The author also tells a story about date rape, which is such an important subject to be adressed nowadays, and I loved the conversations of where the boundaries of consent settle and how
Lauren
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This story follows teenage twins who are learning to navigate their life after their father leaves them to fend for themselves. It was sad and dealt with a lot of hard things that they both had to go through. I enjoyed this book and watching these characters grow within themselves and the people they become surrounded by. The ending felt a little rushed for me, but over all really good.

Thank you to Orca Book Publishers and Netgalley for letting me read an arc of this book in exchange for an hon
Anastacia Russell
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Greta is 17 and lives with her brother Ash, along with her father and stepmother. This is supposed to be a modern Hansel and Gretel tale, and Greta's parents soon abandon her and Ash. As if that wasn't bad enough, Greta is trying to come to term with a party where she blacked out and woke up in bed with a basketball player.

If your parents abandon you and you are under 18, call CPS. Nail their butts to the wall. The ending was so ridiculous! I did like how Greta handled the high school kids, tho
Lisa Elizabeth
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought the author did a wonderful job of handling a difficult subject matter. This book felt very real and familiar in a way that anyone in Greta’s position would recognize. This is not normally the type of book I like to read but it called to me and I’m very glad I picked it up.

—-

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I was not paid for this review.
River
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I loved the sibling relationship between the twins, their support, their loyalty to each other.
I loved the kindness they were shown from people they never would have expected.

And then there is the trauma Greta had. It was handled so well by the author, the anxiety, the shame.

This is a really touching book, and I loved it.
Sara
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A compelling and compassionate examination of trauma and grief. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and will definitely keep an eye out for any further releases from this author.
Jypsy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was not an enjoyable book for me. I don't like reading fictional accounts of date rape at all. For this reason, I couldn't get interested.
Kristin
There are definite trigger warnings in the book so please beware before you decide to pick this up.
I'm not sure what it was but there was something very compelling about this book. I didn't feel a very deep connection with the characters but none the less really enjoyed seeing their progression though out the story.

This is the story of Greta and her battle with coming to terms with that happened to her. It's interesting to see her go from shame and self blame to realizing that it wasn't her faul
T.
Jan 20, 2019
Aubrey Marie
Jan 20, 2019
Alicia
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
THis was a thoughtful book that allowed for messiness in the relationships and avoided an overly tidy conclusion. The Hansel and Gretle allusions weren’t overplayed, and the writing moved at a clip I think will be appreciated by some of less voracious readers. Esp those who may relate to the circumstances of these characters.
Lisa Wickstrom
Jan 10, 2019
Brinsley
rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2019
Sally Maxwell
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Orc publishing for the arc of this book.
It’s not the type of book I usually read, it was heavy and depressing from the start.
Was an ok read, not great, but ok.
Olivia