Start by marking “Pride Colors” as Want to Read:
Pride Colors

Pride Colors

Through gentle rhymes and colorful photographs of adorable children, Pride Colors is a celebration of the deep unconditional love of a parent or caregiver for a young child. The profound message of this delightful board book is you are free to be yourself; you'll always be loved.

Celebrated author Robin Stevenson ends the book with an explanation of the meaning behind each
Board Book, 28 pages
Published March 12th 2019 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Pride Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride Colors

Start your review of Pride Colors
Jane
Pride Colors is a decent little board book that both teaches colours and inclusiveness without being at all overbearing.

I didn't love all of the pages, but some were pretty cute, and I definitely love the subtle messaging here.

Thanks to NetGalley and Orca Book Publishers for providing me with a DRC of this book.
RJ
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, children
Throw this on the baby-books-that-got-me-choked-up-at-my-desk pile!! I love that this book simply affirms both: "I love you just as you are" and "I love whoever you'll grow up to be". Smart, gentle, heart-warming.
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
You might say, why do we need a picture book about Pride for children.

Because. Because there are children of Gay and Lesbian parents out there who would like to see themselves int he books they read, even if they don’t know how to ask for it.

Because there are children who need to know that there are others out there like them.

Because there are children whose parents love them, and take them to Pride with them, and it is part of them, so why not have a book celebrating it.

The pictures are
Allie
Super cute book about colors and queer families. I like that it is explicitly about Pride and Pride day (at the end it has an explanation of Pride and the flag), but also just an affirming book about families and being yourself.
Juliana
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an digital ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is such a great book that is perfect in times like these. It may seem unnecessary to have a board book with LGBTQ representation but there are plenty of children who are raised by same sex couples. While some people might deem that as abnormal, this book shows that it's very normal and there's nothing wrong these couples. The pictures are so lovely too. It's a book I would definitely want in my children's collections
Katie Pierce
This is seriously the cutest board book I have ever seen. I want to buy a copy for when/if I someday have a kid. Not only is it sweet and lovely representation for queer families, but it’s also something babies will love. The lyrical, rhyming text paired with the photos of real diverse babies and families will make this one that babies will want read over and over again.
Cat
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet little story for littles about unconditional love! Celebrates gay Pride with the rainbow. Loved the photos of littles and I am sure they will enjoy seeing them, too! Wonderful book about acceptance and being one's self. Love is Love!

I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Kris
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My heart cannot take the adorableness. This is sweet and inclusive and even better, it is a legit for babies board book - nit something really written for adults. Little ones will learn colors from the bright, fun pages, and they will see happy images of all kinds of people. A billion stars. ...more
Kelly
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Usually I'm pretty critical about books that are for very young readers that address more mature subjects. But this book hits the mark beautifully.

It is a board book celebrating love in a rainbow of colors. The pages are bright and colorful, and the message is simple yet clear.

Great job, Robin Stevenson!
Lee Födi
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of our son's favorite nightly reads, full of positive messages, bright colors, and photos of families. We're glad to have it as part of our collection!
Sally Wilsey
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though this is a book about Pride Day, I found it to be a wonderful book about colors and love of your child. The children in the book are so cute and have the cutest costumes and clothing. This book tells of being yourself, love of parents and how special children are. I really liked this book and the message to the children.
I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Amanda
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This lovely little board book teaches children about colors. There are a lot of books aimed at little ones that do the same thing, but this book also includes diversity, different kinds of families, and a message of inclusivity that I found wonderful! My children are always looking for families that look like theirs in the books that we read, and they found this book delightful, even though they are "too old" for board books. This would be a great addition to any children's book collection, ...more
Jeff
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love is Love is Love is Love. The 'gentle rhymes' of this delightful board book have tremendous power to influence the young minds of our future. Accepting each other begins with accepting ourselves-- together we can make a safe, better world. This book is perfect for bedtime, or anytime. What a perfect gift too! I can see this being a great way for children and adults to bond and to share a special moment that will stay with them forever.

I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in
Enora
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
*Thank you NetGalley for providing me this book in exchange for an honest review*

Pride Colors is a wonderful book to teach kids about colors, while displaying photos of queer families and diverse children. The narration is very sweet, well written, and empowering. I feel like this book is a bubble of love, pride, and happiness. I was smiling while reading it :) I would highly recommend it to any family with children.
Ann Santori
Perfect book is perfect . . . and it almost comes out right on my birthday! Lyrically written, concise text and lovely photographs with diversity in representation. Doesn't shy away at all from explicitly celebrating Pride and the history of the Pride flag and its color code. MUST add to any collection.

I received an e-ARC copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
S
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet, easy to read rhyme that walks through different colors on a pride flag. Aside from the last page where it actually mentions the pride flag, this book feels like any standard baby, I love you just the way you are photo run with a rhyme which makes it an simple throw in book for any lapsit or color themed storytime. Obviously, a lovely one for June's Pride celebrations.
Brooklyn Cribdon (The Wild Library)
This baby board book is EVERYTHING. Each page offers readers a new colour & rhyme, with a message of "be who you are and you'll always be loved." The end of the book also shares what each colour of the pride flag represents. I cried the first time I read it and I'll probably cry again the first time I read it to my future children ...more
Tracy Tibbels
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was checking this in as a New Book at the library, and I thought, I've got to see what this is about! It's a board book, so I knew it would go quickly. It's so colorful and beautiful, and the underlying message is open-minded and non-judgemental love. Inspiring!!!
Caitlinleah
Pride isn’t really my thing, but my toddler chose this book from the pride display at the library and has loved it ever since. I find the text a little sickly-sweet, but he enjoys it and will name the colors himself. Diverse photos throughout.
Amanda
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have a new nephew who just arrived, and I may have to get this book for him. Just adorable, and such a needed message for little (and big!) ones: you'll always be loved no matter who you love. Just makes me happy whenever I read it!

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.

Elizabeth
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know each color of the Pride flag had a different meaning.
Briony
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, toddlers
A beautiful book that showcases each color and it's meaning of the Rainbow flag. The photographs and text go perfectly together.
Linda
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lbqgt, board-books
A timely board book celebrating that love comes in different forms. Great photographs that will appeal to children. Loved the explanation of the pride flag colors and what they mean.
Leah NYC
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely book/collection addition.
emmy
Dec 30, 2019 marked it as blog-recs
Shelves: sarah-s-baby
Mentioned in a blog post and resource list at https://booksbeyondbinaries.blog/2019...
kim
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
cute book for babies
Tegan
Really great book for children and their families that speaks to being inclusive and all types love. This is really a book for everyone.
Stefanie
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Representing little board book that my one year old makes us read everyday ...more
Julia

• Mary Wears What She Wants
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Just Because
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
Robin Stevenson is an award winning Canadian author of more than 25 books for teens and children. Her book PRIDE: CELEBRATING DIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY was a 2017 Stonewall Honor Book, and she has won or been a finalist for numerous other awards. Her other books include a board book called PRIDE COLORS, a picture book called GHOST'S JOURNEY, middle-grade non-fiction (KID ACTIVISTS) and fiction ...more