Start by marking “I Am a Feminist: Claiming the F-Word in Turbulent Times” as Want to Read:
I Am a Feminist: Claiming the F-Word in Turbulent Times

I Am a Feminist: Claiming the F-Word in Turbulent Times

What is feminism? Why does it still matter? What exactly does intersectionality mean? In order to answer these (and many other) questions, I Am a Feminist first examines the history of feminism and then addresses the issues girls and women continue to face today. The book also looks at the ways in which people, especially young people, are working together to create a worl ...more
Published May 7th 2019 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about I Am a Feminist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am a Feminist

Homeschoolmama
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-reviewers
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

First of all, I think the title is off-putting to much of the targeted audience, at least in my view. If I were to write a book like this, I'd want boys and men to read this!! It's unfortunate to turn them away with a cover and picture that screams "this is a women's rights book". Conservatives, men/boys would be unlikely to pick up this book to read. And why? Because of the title and picture on the cover. It has a fist with painted
Mish
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent introduction to the many sides and aspects of feminism. From intersectionality to sex workers rights, this is an amazing primer for those who want to become better about supporting the people in their lives through activism. Several different organizations were mentioned and promoted within these pages.

5/5
Steff Pasciuti
The best thing, I think, about reading I Am a Feminist by Monique Polak, in my opinion, is the fact that it touches on the unfortunate truth behind why many people are not feminists, or rather...why many people believe they are not feminists when they actually are. You see, way back when and once upon a time, about eight years ago when I was just starting college I genuinely did not consider myself a feminist. Why? Well, because of the negative connotations that had begun to be associated with t ...more
Tabrizia Jones
This is a great nonfiction book for teens, for both genders. It is such a well-detailed and highly researched book that realistically explores the true meaning of feminism. It does not sugarcoat any of the social issues that young people will face in this century. It makes readers face them head on and truly examine the issues that otherwise may make us uncomfortable. My approach of feminist ideas has completely changed after reading this book and I believe that is the whole point. The author wa ...more
Tonstant Weader
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I Am a Feminist is a light overview of the many ways feminism is still needed. It is geared toward teens and is written in clear, simple language with lots of illustrations and photos.

It has seven sections beginning with a history of feminism and the challenges women and girls face around the world. Further chapters focus on specific issues such as objectification and body image, issues of sex and relationships, feminist issues in the workplace, and intersectionality. It also does not leave femi
Zoe's Human
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lt
I Am a Feminist is an excellent teen primer on feminism. Each chapter is a complete lesson in and of itself. Taking a broad approach rather than digging deep on details, it offers a solid introduction and overview on the four waves in North America, world-wide feminist issues, the focus on appearance, romantic relationships, inequity, intersectionality, and male allies.

Another reviewer has already noted, and I agree with them completely, that it is odd for the title of the section about male al
William Stanger
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this from LibraryThing Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest review.

This book, which is a brief and informative history and description of the feminist movement, is an excellent read. Although its intended target is probably female teens, most people, regardless of age or gender, would benefit from reading it.

The book is well laid-out, beginning with the history of the movement in the first section, then moving through various aspects of feminism, before finishing up wit
Aranda (readwitharanda)
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you @orcabook and @netgalley for my ARC of I Am a Feminist.

"Life made me a feminist."

I Am a Feminist is a great introduction to feminism for teenage readers. I absolutely loved reading this book! It is a clear, approachable introduction to a topic that can be a little scary and off-putting to some. As an adult, this book was a great reminder to me about why feminism is important in the year 2019. I enjoyed traveling back through the history of women's rights.

This book does a great job rem
Sam
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
**I received an ARC on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**
This book has tons of useful information on what feminism is and I think the information itself would be beneficial for individuals who are interested in feminism.
The book itself though, the way it was written, was just terrible. It wasn’t organized in a very good way. And there were way too many examples in some spots. Otherwise, it was a good book.
Cristie Underwood
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was an interesting read about what it is like to be a feminist in our current political climate. So many women and teen girls claim to be feminists because they think it is trendy. This book encompasses what it really means to be a feminist. It was a really interesting read.
Jess
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thorough but accessable look at feminism throughout recent history in North America.

Polak doesn't shy away from covering often overlooked, disregarded or hidden angles from which women have been discriminated against or abused.

This should be taught to all young adults!
Megan Salyer
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how this book sums up women’s issues. Easy read. Inspiring read
Nancy
Victoria
Jun 24, 2019
MayorEmma
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ehh... I don't know how I feel about this one. It is kind of more an opinion piece than anything, because you have to read through their opinion to figure out how you feel about this.
R Brannon