Start by marking “Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)

Bloodring

(Rogue Mage #1)

In a novel filled with exhilarating action and lush imagery, Faith Hunter portrays a near-future world, caught in the throes of an ambiguous apocalypse, where a woman with everything to hide finds her destiny revealed....

No one thought the apocalypse would be like this. The world didn't end. And the appearance of seraphs heralded three plagues and a devastating war between
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 336 pages
Published November 7th 2006 by Roc Fantasy

To ask other readers questions about Bloodring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodring

Start your review of Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)
Mimi
3.5 stars but rounding up for the apocalyptic ice age setting... which sounds pretty nice right about now, what with the last election we're ever gonna have coming up and the world ending shortly thereafter. Just kidding?

Anyhow.

This book is a unusual blend of almost everything I like to see in urban fantasy with the exception of angels and biblical tie-ins. Am not a fan of angels and even less a fan of angels + biblical things. Though, here, they aren't too heavy-handed.

The writing is decent, al
Dharma Kurlind
Apr 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
Let me just say how shocked I am that I didn't like this book. I love Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series. But I really, really didn't like Bloodring. I listened through the whole audiobook, convinced that eventually I'd care for the heroine, care for the plot, but I didn't. It's just too much - too post-apocalyptic/new ice-age, too high fantasy, too foreign, too alien. We have new mages, and half-breeds, and Sarephs, and demon spawn, and none of them are human, but somehow the combination bet ...more
Rhianon
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, dnf
A 4'10" female riding a Fresian? A stallion, no less? Granted, they aren't hot-blooded but I'm still struggling with the practicality of that combination. And likewise, someone else riding a Clydesdale. *snorts* Don't get me wrong, it's done. But it is far from practical, far from comfortable, especially traveling long distances. It's like straddling an oil drum.

This is one of those instances where it really does pay to stay within the bounds of realism for the sake of your readership. Because t
Bradley
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2020-shelf
There's a lot of potential in this book but there isn't enough actual to keep me going. I mean, the whole angels and UF feel with magical crystals and mystical overwhelming sex energies that tie into the magic system IS fairly interesting, at least on paper.

It's also a fairly average post-apocalypse tale set in the deep cold.

I don't know. I never really connected with the main character and only mildly cared about where the story was going. A potential world-building is only as good as the chara
Becca C
Mar 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Rogue Mage series (Book 1) | So if the Mercy Thompson/Rachel Morgan books are your fair-to-middling examples of a well-written urban fantasy series, these Rogue Mage books have to be the ugly red-headed stepchildren. Because they're not well-written. At all. But, you know, it's pretty much my own fault. With an authorial pseudonym like 'Faith Hunter' I should have realized what I was getting myself into. Anyway, Blood Ring takes place in a post-apocalyptic small-town of what's left of America, a ...more
Loriidae
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars Too much telling but a credible debut novel.

Although a little confusing at times, the world building in Faith Hunter’s debut novel is superb. There is a lot of telling, but for all that, it is filled with the flashes of the brilliance we see in her Jane Yellowrock and Soulwood series. It is easy to see that this is her early work.

A very different dystopian with seraphs (angels) and demons. The church is in ascendance and there are many biblical references and quotes of scripture. It i
Amy
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2009
Faith Hunter imagines a post-Apocalyptic world filled with seraphs, Dark beings, and mages (as well as ordinary humans). Thorn St. Croix is an unlicensed mage living amongst the humans in secret in the town of Mineral City in what used to be North or South Carolin. Her ex-husband, Lucas Stanhope, is kidnapped in the middle of the night, and this event sets off a series of events that leads Thorn to believe that something Dark and dangerous is massing an army in the mountain behind the town. As T ...more
Ian
Nov 01, 2013 added it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading tax law.
As a general rule I won't rate a book that I DNF and read less than 50%. So no rating.

Bloodring, well the 40% I read before I walked away, is a bit of a disaster. It's monotonous, the characters are remote, the story...well you would think by 40% I would have a vague idea of what's going on but honestly I had no idea.

Faith Hunter is a talented writer. Her Skinwalker series is a personal favorite. This book is going into the bowels of hell and hopefully it is never mentioned again.
Kathy Davie
First in the Rogue Mage apocalyptic paranormal alternative history science fiction series (a.k.a., Thorn St. Croix) and revolving around, well, Thorn St. Croix, a mage on the run, currently living in Mineral City, Carolina, in the Appalachian Mountains.

My Take
This is a fascinating world Hunter has created. It's so detailed, and despite it being so dang cold, it's a cozy world that still has too many terrors everywhere. Swearing and blasphemy is punishable with branding. Rock-and-roll has only re
Anniken Haga
By now I've listened to lot of books by Faith Hunter as audiobooks. This one was the first I tried to read, and I ended up listening to parts of it as an audiobook — because I wanted to continue reading when I needed to do other stuff, or when I wasn't in any shape to read.

This isn't her best book, though.
Rather early in the story I realized this was probably her first book. I looked it up, and was right. I realized it because of a few small thing that tasted a bit inmature for me, a few of th
Fangs for the Fantasy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is huge. Not so much because of the length of the book but the sheer amount packed in here - especially this really original world.

Honestly, if someone has sold this book to me as a post-rapture word, a world after the book of Revelations, a world where the angels came down and massacred huge chunks of humanity, I would be leery.

But what about that world where the angels never confirmed any one religion? What about when the Most High never actually appeared (but pointing that out is
Patrícia
Kati
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book turned out to be better than I thought. At first, I just couldn't get into it - too much exposition for my liking. But even though there was something off about the story telling, I really liked the characters, especially the seraphs fascinated me.
Summer
This book started out interesting, then started to confuse the heck out of me, then bored me to the point of wanting to not finish it, but towards the end it redeemed itself enough for me to say it was decent. At times it felt like a high fantasy novel but then they'd mention their phones and televisions and I'd remember it's urban fantasy and post-apocolyptic. However the characters and the world definitely feel and act more towards the high fantasy side. There's not a whole lot of action going ...more
Leslie - keepsbooks
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I've had this trilogy sitting on my shelves for years but was never in the "right" mood for it, but having just finished a Jane Yellowrock binge, I was looking for a Faith Hunter-fix and stumbled upon The Rogue Mage books in a back corner of Mt. TBR.

Bloodring (Book 1) suffers a bit from first-in-series-itis: characters to introduce, worlds to build, mythology to explain -

- but this can drag the action down to a crawl and that's what happens here. If the early pages had been as engaging as the
Jensownzoo
Jan 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads, fantasy
I liked the characterizations and interactions and the pacing (kept reading to find out what happened next). An interesting take on revelation/end of the world with some suggestions that the human race is being hoodwinked about the whole deal.

However, I think the "mage heat" device could have been lifted out of the story en toro and not made much of a difference in the story...indicating dead weight (and something more suited to a cheesy romance novel anyway). Maybe a minor point, but something
Sapphire
I would have given this 3 1/2 stars, but Goodreads doesn't do that. I will try to read the next two books in the series, as sometimes the next one gets better. Mostly there is not enough action and the hook wasn't there in the beginning as should be. But the book has potential, so I will read the others.
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Different. Underdeveloped in certain areas but the book started well. Hinder draws a lot from the Bible. For all the small details and elaborate chants/prayers this world still doesn’t feel as solid as it should. I’m curious enough to read book 2.

library ebook
Jeanny
Nov 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF 27% Audible version I was bored to tears.
Keli
Hmm, I'm not too sure about this Faith Hunter series. I loved Jane and really enjoyed Blood of the Earth but this is too much uncontrollable need. It reads almost like a YA. I'll read the next in the series simply because I have a lot of faith in Faith.
Louisa
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! I absolutely loved the world and these characters, and I can't wait to read more! Such a great start to this series!
Marsha
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First let me say that I'm a huge fan of Faith Hunter. I love her Jane Yellowrock as well as her new Soulwood series. So, reading Rogue Mage was a no brainer for me. Unfortunately, it is a dry, passionless story that literally I could only read a few pages at a time before I had to shut down my Kindle and say, "I've had enough for now." I couldn't believe this was written by the beloved author I had come to value without question.

Imagine a world where neomages are confined or killed because socie
Ellese
I added this to my favorites because 1.) I love Faith Hunter no matter what, and 2.) this book has such an interesting story. The reason it only got 3 stars? Despite my fandom of Hunter, this was not one of her best. The story is a great one but I kept thinking, this could have been explained more, or this could have been a bit different. I felt at times I was playing catch up.

The story is a new one though. Hunter hits new territory by making this series a more Biblical one. It has angels, serap
Lexi Ander
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is my second read through this book. I still agree with my initial rating for the book. I loved the post-apocalyptic world with angels, The Powers, the second unforeseen, and neomages. I have to say it has some of the best scenes when it came to casting magic that I have read. The scenes were well thought out and the foreignness was explained in such a way that I was able to follow along and understand the limitations. The use of religion and religious scripture; putting power into and behi ...more
Nicole
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I liked the sample chapter provided by Amazon. But when I read the book the world didn’t make much sense to me. And I always have a big problem when the world-building doesn’t makes sense to me.
The story takes place 105 years after “the end of the world” only the world hasn’t ended. So far so good. The technology that survived seemed random.
They don’t seem to have central heating, but the heroine often draws herself a bath. How?
They aren’t able to make new computers, but they still have old ones
Megan
Wasn't sure what to expect from this book but I really enjoyed it. I wondered if a book about angels (seraphs) would end up being a neo-christian/get ready for the rapture kind of story - but nothing could be further from the truth.

The premise of this story is actually quite fascinating, and I think unique. A true post-apocalytic world, after the seraphs unleashed plagues and destroyed the bulk of humanity, a race of souless (but I doubt that) neomages tha control stone, metal, earth, sea and l
Darcy
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, fantasy
This is a hard book for me to review due to how I felt about the book.

What I really liked about the book was Thorn, her friends, and her workshop. The relationships between all of these people were fun to read and you can really tell they are more than friends, more like family. I also liked the scenes where they were working in the shop, the laughing and teasing was fun along with seeing how they worked with the materials.

What I had a hard time with was the world that the book was set it. It w
Jesslyn
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently re-reading the series to see if I feel the same way.

This series struck me as different from all the other Urban (post-apocalyptic) Fantasy that I've ever read. I must have started it 4 or 5 times before I got past the 1st page, and felt pretty stupid when I finally did.

Most folks probably know Ms. Hunter from her Jane Yellowrock books (HUGE kudos for not whitewashing the latest cover). I started with the Rogue Mage books and moved on from there. I really wish we could get more on
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Not Good. My rating for this book deteriorated as the book went on. At first, the concept of Thorne being a neo-mage hiding in plain sight under threat of torture and death if she were caught sounded promising. But the plot was just a hot mess. Where it wasn't dull as dishwater- talking about the day-to-day minutia of working in a jewellery shop- it was confusing to a ridiculous degree. I found myself having to go back and re-read sections constantly because I was totally lost. Normally, I might ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
I am torn over this one. It was good, but audio...it worked it just that if I did something else for a second then I got confused. I am sure I missed a ton of things in this book.

But the premise was so cool. Angels came down, killed humans and destroyed shit. Then suddenly they fought alongside humans cos evil spawns came forth. But the cool thing was, were they really angels, or aliens? Ohhh.

What was left was a post apocalyptic world in an ice age. So the world was truly good.

Thorn, the heroin
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. there are witches and snow all the time [s] 4 69 Aug 15, 2012 11:43AM

• Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • Chameleon's Death Dance (Chameleon Assassin, #4)
  • Dime a Demon (Ordinary Magic, #4)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Trials (Rogue Mage Anthology #1)
  • Diamonds and Blood (Chameleon Assassin #5)
  • Gods and Demons (Dark Streets, #1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Chameleon Uncovered (Chameleon Assassin, #2)
  • Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • The Kinsman Universe
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
Faith Hunter's Junkyard Cats novella series is brand new, with book one available only in Audible at this time.

Faith's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

The Soulwood series is a dark-urban fantasy / paranormal police procedural /para-thriller series fea

Rogue Mage (3 books)
  • Seraphs (Rogue Mage, #2)
  • Host (Rogue Mage, #3)