Start by marking “Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee” as Want to Read:
Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee

Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  285 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Internationally renowned yoga instructor Rodney Yee is the instructor of more than 26 best-selling yoga videos. In Moving toward Balance, he outlines an eight-week program of yoga postures, meditation, and breath awareness designed to lead us toward the emotional and physical balance we all crave in life. Each week introduces a new category of poses--forward bends, twists, ...more
Published April 28th 2004 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Moving Toward Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Toward Balance

Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I personally loved this book. I had never really done much Iyengar yoga and always enjoyed a more flowing practice, but found that I really liked the practices and how they built on each other. I learned things about the poses and my body that were certainly limiting my practice. With the help of this book I am now able to get into camel pose, something that I had only done once before in two years of on and off yoga. This book has shown me the proper poses for preparation and counter poses for ...more
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ruthie, Lori, Monica
Shelves: non-fiction
I am not really "done" with this book, and it is taking me far longer than 8 weeks, but I can write my review now! This is a fantastic, easy to follow, detailed and inspiring guide to builing a home yoga practice. Rodney Yee takes you through 8 weeks (or more if you are me!) of yoga practice to learn poses, gain strength and flexibility and fall in love with yoga. Then he has a section for building your own practice using the poses that you have learned. I would not recommend it for someone who ...more
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
A beautiful book reflective of the spiritual nature of yoga rather than the fitness-only aspects typically emphasized by beginning yoga resources. Pictures are very easy and minimalistic to use for reference, and anatomical guidance is provided to ensure the reader is practicing the pose correctly. Includes variations for people of various skill levels and emphasizes the importance of a longer yoga practice, which again is frustratingly absent from most get-fit-quick-appropriate-culture beginner ...more
Jun 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Good book to help guide a home yoga practice. It doesn't provide as much instruction on each pose as would be necessary for a beginning student, so this book would need to be read alongside Iyengar's Light on Yoga, or another solid instructional book. The book is beautiful, fun to look through and read, and provides a wealth of home practices for Iyengar students in a flow-yoga dominated world!

Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I got this because I thought I lost my other Yoga book on my move to the US. I wanted to have simple pictures, simple explanations to look up asanas and read about their effect. You would not think how hard it is to find a book like that. The bonus is the 8-week program that I might do one day but currently 2-3 times a week is enough for me.
Hannah O'Reilly
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
A beautiful book chock full of information. This book is an extensive introduction to learning the basics and intricacies of yoga poses. Rodney Yee takes you through sequences to try at home that build on each other over a period of 8 weeks. A great resource for learning more about poses and building a home practice that feels good and makes sense.
Mar 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Very good introduction to starting a home yoga practice. I wouldn't recommend it to those just trying yoga for the first time as it is hard to learn the nuances of aligment without an instructor. It's great as a supplement to classes or after taking a few classes to learn the basics.
Valerie Sherman
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love Rodney Yee's yoga videos, and I loved this book. I rented it from the library, but I think it's worth buying, as the routines are pretty useful. But I don't think I'll ever be able to do a head-stand, Rodney!
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great instruction of how to get started in yoga. Beautiful pictures and helpful description.
I had to look elsewhere for its history and purpose.
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
really good book if you want to design a yoga practise at home
Apr 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best--if not the best--intro to yoga out there.
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
Excellent break down of developing a personal yoga practice.
Les Mangis
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for learning and remembering yoga positions. It's taken me longer then 8 weeks to do the program due to my schedule but I've really enjoyed it.
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I recommend this book for folks who have some experience with yoga, but would like to add a personal practice at home to their daily lives.

I have taken yoga classes for years. I have had many teachers, some well educated, some just starting out. I have practiced at home on a fairly regular basis for years as well. This book took everything to the next level. I can't stop talking about it. Moving Toward Balance is meant to be a supplement to your regular practice. This is something you can do eve
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Newbie Yogis
So - if you haven't ever done yoga, or are just getting started and want to start a home practice, or want a leg up on some poses, this book is for you.

After a few years of yoga, I'm looking for the more intricate twist and balance poses, and most of these I'm pretty familiar with, so I found the book a quick skim through and not really what I thought I was getting. That being said, I am working up to headstands because of it.

It works you through all variations of a pose, with or without props
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I always come back to Rodney when I fall off my yoga path, he is insightful, thought provoking, and an expert in his field. I started my journey in yoga with his dvd's, he is like comfort food for my soul.

I finally got around to reading this book and learned a lot about the poses and variations to help me in my practice. I felt like I was studying yoga in a new way, learning to use props and incorporating deeper thought into my routine. Being more mindful in each pose and listening to my body.
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I harbor a great fondness for Rodney Yee, having grown up practicing his AM/PM yoga videos on VHS with my mom and sisters. This is an excellent introductory book, with very clear, instructive photographs and text. The proliferation of yoga videos online makes reading a book for yoga less tempting, but if you wanted to begin your yoga practice sans video, this would be the book to choose. Planning on keeping it for the full length of my library hold so that I can use it as a morning guide...
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me several years ago when I was in the midst of planning a wedding. Rediscovering it this year, made me truly wish I had paid more cadence to practicing at home at that time. Anyone who only practices yoga in the studio should read this book. Yee gives so many wonderful tips about life and learning about ourselves and our bodies through practicing at home.
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that one is never really
meant to "finish" reading. It will be a reference that I will use often in my home yoga practice. I wouldn't recommend the book for a beginner, as the alignment of the poses isn't given great amount of detail to. However, I'd highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to augment their existing at home yoga practice with fresh ideas for sequencing.
Sep 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
I like this book because I can take it at my own pace. I feel like yoga videos and classes often go way to fast for me.

However, I haven't been able to get past week five yet. I keep starting and stopping and starting again.

Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
This book helped me do Shirhasana (headstand) in yoga class. Good reference.
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wonderful program, loved every day I was following this. This is an easy way to start yoga if you are interested!
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
namaste, y'all.
Holli B
Sep 20, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, yoga
Good resource for someone who has never meditated. I recommend it to my clients.
Oct 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2012
Mar 11, 2012
Oct 08, 2014
Mar 04, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Being Black: Zen and the Art of Living with Fearlessness and Grace
  • The Gluten-Free Bible: The Thoroughly Indispensable Guide to Negotiating Life without Wheat
  • Hatha Yoga Illustrated: For Greater Strength, Flexibility, and Focus
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
  • The Tao Of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow.
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Yoga Beyond Belief: Insights to Awaken and Deepen Your Practice

• A Room of One's Own
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be