Start by marking “Pillar of Fire (The Promised Land, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pillar of Fire (The Promised Land, #1)

Pillar of Fire (The Promised Land #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  1,029 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Set in 601 B.C., the novel centers on a brusque, unsavory character from 1 Nephi, Laban, who has come into possession of Hebrew ancient texts (brass plates) and a mystical sword symbolizing Jewish lineage. After the war with Babylon, Laban has risen to Captain of the Guard and has ambitions to become king of Israel; opposing him are Lehi and Uriah, leaders of a sect who pr ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Covenant Communications Inc (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Pillar of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pillar of Fire

Mommywest
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
601 B.C.—The Babylonians have come and gone, leaving Jerusalem plundered, weak, and broken.

The power hungry Elders in the city council have banished and murdered the prophets. Anyone foolish enough to voice their support for the prophets is labeled a "Rekhabite," a dissenter, a traitor worthy of death.

In the midst of this turmoil, Jonathan the blacksmith has moved his family from Sidon to Jerusalem, bringing with him knowledge of the new alloy, steel. Torn between heeding his wife's warnings a
Ryder Hathaway
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ryder by: my mom and sister
This book is a historical fiction prequel to The Book of Mormon. My mother and sister recommended this series to me and i'm really enjoying it. It is a good book to read no matter what religion you are.
It has a great story line that will get you reading every spare minute. The twists and turns in the story are great. The characters in the story will soon seem to be alive and it will be like you're in Jerusalem in 600 B.C.
This is a fantastic book and I highly recommended it to everyone wanting t
Donna
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is helpful to make what life was like before Lehi left to the Promised Land. I didn't realize how corupted the Elders in the City Council of Jerusalem were. It really opens your understanding of Jerusalem back in 601 B.C. I loved the Documentation of each Chapter. Lots to learn and very detailed. I liked and have read all three. David G. Woolley the Author had gotten sick after Volume Three and he just now announced that Volume Four "Day of Remembrance Volume IV" will be out September ...more
Jere
Oct 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was given the first 2 books of this series and just found out that there is a third which I will have to read. A historical novel with Bible and Book of Mormon characters (Jeremiah, King Zedekiah, Mulek, Lehi and his family, Zoram, Laban)in the story as well as fictional ones. I liked reading the historical notes after the story to find out just what part were actually factual. The series reminds me of The Work and the Glory.
Wendy
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved this series!!! It brought the people in the Book of Mormon alive. I enjoyed learning that the climate of the times before Lehi left Jerusalem may have been like.

It took so long for the 4th book to come out that I thought David Woolley was never going to finish this series. I'm going to read this book over again so that I can remember what has happened before I read the 4th one.

This is a great story!

Olivia
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
I enjoyed this book. It was interesting and I learned a lot, too. It helped me understand the conflicts and background of Jerusalem during the time of Lehi. The characters really came to life for me - Lehi's dimples and green eyes, Laman and Lemuel's motives, Sam... I also better understood where Mulek came from. I read long into the night and I was motivated to read the Book of Mormon again with my newly gained perspective.
Colleen
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love the Promised land series, I am very picky when it comes to fantasy books that follow doctrine. David does such a wonderful job of it. I have leared so much with these books that I had no idea of before.
This is the book that I chose for our book club last month, and so far everyone is raving about it.
Michelle Ratliff
Sep 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michelle Ratliff by: Brittnee
This is a great book. I really enjoyed it. It took longer to read then I thought just cause I was so busy with other things and read another book during it.

It is a great fictional book tied in with actually events. It made me have a deeper love for the Book of Mormon and whay it was like. What amazing men Lehi and Nephi were. Now it is on to book number 2.
April
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow. I didn't know if I would like it after the first three chapter but I kept reading it and soon I fell in love with the characters. Not as good as Gerald N Lund's historical fiction books but it is up their on my books I've liked based on real events. Good way to learn about history I think.
Heather
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have read/listened to this book before. I really liked it, of course I liked listening to it better thanr eading it (but the narrator can by annoying).
It really helped to bring the Book of Mormon to life for me, even though it is a fictionalized novel.
Jeanne
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's been awhile since I read this book, yet I really enjoy the scriptures coming to life in a Novel. I remember that it was an interesting book and now I have start the second in the series and am already hooked...
Allison
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a historical fiction about Jerusalem during Lehi's time and I really enjoyed it. Good story and interesting facts. I love being able to relate to scripture characters and this helped me picture Jerusalem a little better.
Natalie
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great to think about some of the historical background around the time of Lehi.
Debbie
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed his writing and thought the way he gave historical and geographic insights into a fictitious story was cleverly done.
Lisa
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because of the historical aspect.
Lindabright1
Apr 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
this is a great historical novel series that tells the behind the scene happings with Lehi in Jerusalem before the Book of Mormon.
Kathy
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just read this again after having it collect dust on the book shelf. It's a page turner. I sure look for ward to picking it up again to read it. On to the sequel.
Amy
Jan 18, 2008 rated it liked it
I was a little skeptical about this book my book club choose it so I read it. I was pleasantly surprised how much I actually enjoyed it.
Cori
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another great series. They don't have all the volumes here on Goodreads, but I read all of them and LOVED them.
Lugene
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you like the series "The Work and the Glory" you will like this series. It takes you into the world of Lehi and his family in Jerusalem and the events that took him to the Promised Land.
Lee
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love historical fiction, and using the Book of Mormon characters brings it to life for me. Excellent series.
Stephanie
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I WANT to read the next one. I will just add this to my list of "to read in the future"
Julie
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this series of books. It really brought to life those people in the Book of Mormon. He gives you a list of Historical Characters and Fictional Characters this is very helpful.
Ryan
Nov 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a very neat book series. The whole first book takes place before the first chapter in first nephi. It really helps you think about the book of mormon in a new light and makes it real.
Dave
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great story
Clark
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone of religion
Recommended to Clark by: Wife
Really good book, can't wait to read the next in the series after I get back home from a trip to England.
Jason Burt
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one and found the historical accuracy to be interesting with the different perspective on the characters of the Book of Mormon.
Nicole
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. It's a new look at the beginning of Nephi's story. I totally and completely recommend this book to anyone and everyone who would like a "deeper" look into Nephi's life.
Sarah Sharp
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read the first three books a few years ago. Currently re-reading BEFORE I start book four,the lastest book in the series. This is a fun read.
Benji Smith
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it
So far it seems like a great book. I really enjoy the new perspective and looking at Lehi's family in a light I hadn't thought of before.
Historical Fiction--Book of Mormon 1 1 Aug 02, 2012 01:41PM
  • Behold the Man (The Kingdom and the Crown #3)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 4: The Hand of Providence
  • Faith of Our Fathers: A House Divided (Volume One)
  • Troubled Waters (Hearts of the Children, #2)
  • Daniel and Nephi
  • Home Again at Last

The Promised Land (5 books)
  • Power of Deliverance (The Promised Land, #2)
  • Place of Refuge (The Promised Land, #3)
  • Day of Remembrance (The Promised Land, #4)
  • Compass of God (The Promised Land, #5)

Fiction Deals

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
  • Challenger Deep
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Yellow Crocus
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone