Start by marking “The Education of a Coach” as Want to Read:
The Education of a Coach

The Education of a Coach

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  3,919 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews
Pulitzer Prize-winner David Halberstam's bestseller takes you inside the football genius of Bill Belichick for an insightful profile in leadership. Bill Belichick's thirty-one years in the NFL have been marked by amazing success--most recently with the New England Patriots. In this groundbreaking book, David Halberstam explores the nuances of both the game and the man behi ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about The Education of a Coach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Education of a Coach

Jason Koivu
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, biography
If you decide to read this you're going to want to be a Patriots fan. If you're not, you run the risk of projectile vomiting.

description

In The Education of a Coach, Halberstam has crafted an excellent treatise on the coaching aspect of Bill Belichick's life and it's almost nothing but praise. It stops short of out-and-out sycophancy, citing Belichick's faults, most notably displayed in a rough five years with the troubled Cleveland Browns. But how can you blame Halberstam for showering praise upon the man
lindsey
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, owned, sports
let me start by saying that if youre looking for a biography of a public figure which reads like a novel OR has some sort of life-affirming message, this probably isnt going to be what youre looking for.

however, if youre interested in both the complicated history of football (as told mostly though coaching and front-office politics), and like to savor the technical aspects of organizing and executing at the highest level of football, then youll find this an enjoyable read.

im a pretty huge footb
Ericka Clouther
The book contained some interesting insights into Belichick's background and football strategy. The beginning suffered from a lack of chronology jumping back and forth between young Bill Belichick and his father Steve. It also felt like there wasn't enough about his most important time on the Patriots, in part because his early years on the Patriots were somewhat devoid of the bitter politics he encountered at his other jobs, and in part because this book came out in 2005, and since then Belichi ...more
Joey
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-3-stars
The nuggets of information about Ernie Adams were more valuable and interesting than the rest written about Coach Belichick.

"That year Agase was a little surprised when he received in the mail, unsolicited, an unusual document, beautifully bound as if it were a college thesis." (41)
Ice
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: inspriational, sports
Pulitzer-winning journalist and author Halberstam focuses on Bill Belichick, one of the NFL's most successful coaches, and the game of football as a team sport with rich detail, exacting research and colorful anecdotes. He reveals what fans of the head coach of the New England Patriots have always known: the roots of Belichick's coaching lie in the essential mentoring by his father, an excellent teacher and college coach who taught his son how to scout players and teams, instructing the author o ...more
Patrick
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Patriot/Football fans
I had the good fortune to have started this book only a week or two before the 'Spygate' scandal broke out, and it really provided some context into the whole situation for me. Belichick is a guy who will do anything to win, and it's not inconceivable that this is something he would do. That said, I do think he is an honorable man as well, and I don't think what he did was the dramatic mess it was made out to be. With great success comes the inevitable backlash, and that's what 'spygate' was, no ...more
Roger DeBlanck
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Between 2002-2005 the New England Patriots football team accomplished the improbable: winning three Super Bowls in four years. David Halberstam’s book details how the franchise’s remarkable success rests largely in the hands of their coach, Bill Belichick. In this engaging biography, Halberstam traces the Belichick family ancestry and chronicles the upbringing of young Belichick under his revered father, Steve, a lifetime coach and gifted scout. Steve taught his son at the age of nine how to bec ...more
Riley
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I have almost zero interest in football, but my faith in David Halberstam is so great that I got this. It’s an incredibly glowing biography of Patriots coach Bill Belichick that at time approaches hagiography. Part of that, no doubt, is because the Patriots’ Spygate scandal was only uncovered two years after the book was published. While well written and serious like all of Halberstam's works, it doesn’t come off as one of his best.
Taro Yamashita
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Biography of New England Patriots head coach, Bill Bellichick. The coverage seems pretty good for his very early years, but then lacks details once he gets a foothold in professional coaching. The book seems to have been written without the benefit of direct research involving Bellichick himself, and gets less and less interesting as the book progresses.
Marco
Jun 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't even watch football anymore, but Halberstam does such a great job of narrating the subtleties of being a professional coach, the strategies, the intrigues, that I was completely drawn into the narrative.
M. Newman
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
This biography of Bill Belichik (whom, as I root for the Jets, I hate) is the best biography of a sports coach that I have ever read.
Patdmac7
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Winter 2007

- (Steve) Belichick’s general defensive philosophy was simple: Find out what the other guys do best—which is what they always want to do, especially under pressure in a big game—take it away from them, and make them do things that they are uncomfortable with. 3

-You worked hard. You saved. You did not waste anything. If possible, you grew your own food. You did not complain. You did not expect anyone to do anything for you. Discipline was not so much taught as it was lived, as an essen
Brendan Crowley
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a very rare gift to turn your hand from being a defining voice on foreign policy to writing truly great sports books. Possibly as difficult as winning 5 Super Bowls. In terms of achieving their own personal greatness, Halberstam and Belichick make a perfect match.

Written in 2005, The Education of a Coach is not a simple biography of Belichick. It is first and foremost a Halberstam book – it jumps around in time and place, it digs deep into his family history and contains chapters that woul
Len Knighton
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EDUCATION OF A COACH
This was a difficult book to rate. I've read an enjoyed David Halberstam's books in the past and appreciated his writing. The literary world is not as full when one considers the books he might have written in the past ten years since his tragic death.
However, the subject of this book, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, is not one of my favorite sports personalities. Indeed, he is near the bottom of the list.
That being said, I have gained a bit more than a modicum o
Jeffrey
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this book to get some insights into how Belichick's coaching/leadership philosophy. The went into too much depth into side characters and needless background for my taste. But a few takeaways:

1) Being prepared - Belichick does extremely thorough homework about his opponents, in fact he's known for his film study even when he became head coach. He also applies the same rigorous analysis to his own players, taking care to know their strengths and weaknesses so he can value them correctly and
Doug
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bill Belichick is the best NFL coach of all time; and Halberstam shows you why. It's a trip through his pedigree, starting with his father Steve, a legendary scout and coach. It follows Belichick through his journey as a young coach, highlighting the lessons learned along the way to the pinnacle of the NFL.

The lessons are simple and apply far beyond football.

1. Preparation. Hours and hours of film study made Belichick more prepared than his opponents. Careful, focused study allowed him to know w
Writemoves
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
How did Bill Bellicheck get to be the premier football coach of all time? This book looks at his early experiences and development with other NFL teams before he became coach of the New England Patriots. Bellicheck turns out to be extremely focused, organized and an excellent evaluator of football talent. It also helps that his quarterback Tom Brady may be the best at his position for all time.

The author also looks at Bellicheck’s coaching stint with the Cleveland Browns, which was a bit rocky.
Brian
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book months ago! I was reading it as an ebook at night and would make it through three or four pages before I started nodding off. I made it to chapter 9 that way. I started listening to the audiobook at chapter 7 and it is going much quicker now.

I was able to listen to the rest of the book over two work days and it went much better! Once I got to Bill-in-Cleveland the book picked up for me. I was more familiar with the cast and had a base knowledge. It was still great to hear all
Deacon James
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love him or hate him, you have to respect what Bill Belichick has accomplished in his career. This book is an incredible account of where Coach Belichick came from, what drove him, and what it took to achieve success in the NFL. It's a fascinating read, from his early days studying film in Indianapolis, his successes with Bill Parcells in New York, and his failures in Cleveland, up until his third Super Bowl win in the 2004 season. Without a doubt, he's the greatest NFL coach of all time, and st ...more
Jonatan Sotelo
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una obra maestra. Es conocer el génesis de una de las grandes mentes del futbol americano. Escrito de una manera interesante, más como una narración que como una verdadera biografía, entras en el mundo de la familia Belichick desde sus comienzos y entendés por qué, hoy en día, Bill Belichick piensa y actua de la manera que lo hace.

Una lectura necesaria para todo aquel que quiera entender sobre los fundamentos y la filosofía de una de las personas más exitosas y controvertidas de todo el deporte
Andy Klein
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Zzzzzzzzzzz. A boring sports bio. No doubt Belichick is the greatest NFL coach. But his story is decidedly uninteresting. Smarts and endless hard work shaped him. That’s it. And the book would have been better if it came a year later when the author would have had no choice but to discuss Belichick’s outrageous cheating - spygate.
Rdurie
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read about an NFL coach. At times I found the chronology a bit hard to follow. Also for me, an Aussie who follows the NFL closely, it would have been helpful if he explained the tactics and formations in a bit more depth. I found myself going to Wikipedia a lot for terms like single wing, cover 2, cover 4 etc. now for a book about the 49rs thank you, Mr Halberstam.
Brian
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed getting to know and Bill Belichick. I’m not really a fan of his or the Patriots but have admired him from afar for what he has been able to do. At times the book was a bit of a struggle because I’m not a fan of his but I do admire him even more after reading it.
Ben Kester
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A page turner from cover to cover. It's hard not to root for a nerd taking over the macho sport. BB does have flaws which were ignored in the bio. Sometimes with an excellent story, you don't care that you missed out on gory details.
John Hellman
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Getting ready for the NFL draft I read this book. I found it interesting that Bill is at different level.
Nathan
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing breakdown of Belichick and how he evolved as a football man and coach. Written before all the controversy, focusing on his singular obsession.
Vujak
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect insight into a world of coaching, no matter the type of sport. Learned a lot
Jon Finkel
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A look under the hoodie. Ha. Thanks, I'll be here all week. Great book here...unless you hate the Patriots.
Cindy Nagle
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought the beginning and middle was slow. I really did not care what sport he played in high school or college. I did not want or need all that info!
Carlisle
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting book, but I still hate Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, the entire Patriots organization, and half the people mentioned in Halbertsam's book. Gag.
actually the file id: in page ID 2 2 Mar 03, 2017 05:42AM
Which Institute Best For GATE Coaching 2 3 Mar 03, 2017 05:41AM
  • Patriot Reign: Bill Belichick, the Coaches, and the Players Who Built a Champion
  • Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery & My Return to the NFL
  • Moving the Chains: Tom Brady and the Pursuit of Everything
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • The Blueprint: How the New England Patriots Beat the System to Create the Last Great NFL Superpower
  • The GM: The Inside Story of a Dream Job and the Nightmares that Go with It
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • Let Me Tell You a Story: A Lifetime in the Game
  • Blood, Sweat & Chalk: How the Geniuses of Football Created America's Favorite Game
  • Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL
  • Namath: A Biography
  • The Best Game Ever: Giants vs. Colts, 1958, and the Birth of the Modern NFL
  • Ted Williams: The Biography of an American Hero
  • Coach: Lessons on the Game of Life
  • Now I Can Die in Peace: How ESPN's Sports Guy Found Salvation, with a Little Help from Nomar, Pedro, Shawshank and the 2004
  • When Pride Still Mattered: A Life Of Vince Lombardi
  • Hey, Wait a Minute
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
David Halberstam (April 10, 1934–April 23, 2007) was an American Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author known for his early work on the Vietnam War and his later sports journalism.

Halberstam graduated from Harvard University with a degree in journalism in 1955 and started his career writing for the Daily Times Leader in West Point, Mississippi. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, writing for
More about David Halberstam

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“The Patriots had picked Brady in the sixth round, and he soon turned out to be one of the two or three best quarterbacks in the League, and absolutely perfect for the Belichick system and for the team's offense. So, as the team continued to make a series of very good calls on other player personnel choices, there was a general tendency to talk about how brilliant Pioli and Belichick were, and to regard Pioli as the best young player personnel man in the League. Just to remind himself not to believe all the hype and that he could readily have screwed up on that draft, Pioli kept on his desk a photo of Brady, along with a photo of the team's fifth-round traft choice, the man he had taken ahead of Brady: Dave Stachelski. He was a Tight End from Boise State who never a played a down for New England. Stachelski was taken with the 141st pick, Brady with the 199th one. 'If I was so smart,' Pioli liked to say, 'I wouldn't have risked an entire round of the draft in picking Brady.” 2 likes
“the little things were not little things, because it was the accumulation of little things that made big things happen.” 0 likes