Start by marking “Audition: Everything an Actor Needs to Know to Get the Part” as Want to Read:
Audition: Everything an Actor Needs to Know to Get the Part

Audition: Everything an Actor Needs to Know to Get the Part

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  1,661 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
The casting director for Chicago, Pippin, Becket, Gypsy, The Graduate, the Sound of Music and Jesus Christ Superstar tells you how you can find your dream! Absolutely everything an actor needs to know to get the part is here: What to do that moment before, how to use humour; create mystery; how to develop a distinct style; and how to evaluate the place, the relationships
Published January 1st 2003 by Bloomsbury USA (first published February 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Audition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Audition

Z
Jun 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Shelves: acting
The best book on acting I have ever read, and also full of great insights into human psychology.
Hilary
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The BEST Acting book I've ever read! I refer to this book constantly.
Linda C.
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a book I have bought many times over. I keep lending it to people and never getting it back.

I use this book to remind me of what goes into good drama.

Here is a link to a blog entry that I wrote about this book:

Keith Moser
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring actors
Shelves: education, 5-stars
Anyone who wants to be an actor needs to read this book. It is, by far, the best book on acting I've ever read.

It is filled with fantastic advice--some of it kind of obvious, much of it I've already been following for years, but still several good reminders of how to audition well. Of course, I've already read this twice since I bought it about a decade ago, so I shouldn't be too surprised that not much seemed new to me.

Michael Shurtleff was a major Broadway and Hollywood casting director. He of
Carla
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Super insightful and extremely helpful. Any actor subjecting themselves to the madness of theater should read this.
Shaun Shaun
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: actors.
Recommended to Shaun by: Billy Merrit
A must read for anyone who aspires to be an actor.
Kate
Sep 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
Definitely read this if you want to do anything in the field of drama. Or if you like philosophy. Or if you like weird, random stories about Barbra Streisand.
Lauren
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an aspiring actor, I loved reading this book. Shurtleff takes you into the audition scene and gives you real life examples of what to do and what not to do. Some of the advice he gives is pretty self-explanatory but still extremely helpful. For me, I have referred back to this book to help me get into a good acting mindset. It emphasizes being yourself during an audition, while taking advantage of the many parts of the audition so the auditor gets a well-rounded view of what you can do.

This b
Brett
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Shurtleff shares many nuggets of wisdom for actors in this book, though those nuggets are sometimes buried due to the book's lack of clear structure.

I am an improvisor, and I haven't auditioned for a scripted play since I was a kid. Some of the advice in this book is particularly useful for actors auditioning for scripted plays, but I still found a lot of useful advice for acting in improvised scenes as well.

The core of the book sets forth the 12 "guideposts" for reading a script in an audition.
Jack
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just for actors! While aimed at actors who need knowledge or help with auditions, it is a lifetime's worth of good anecdotes from a big deal insider, told with the force and tenderness of a relative who knows you can make it, but is not sure your passion for the field will survive all the hoops. It's about how to present yourself to people who will judge you in moments, how to be pragmatic, authentic to yourself and yet totally surprise them into thinking well and memorably of you--even if y ...more
Danielle Alonzo
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of valuable information. Best excerpt for me .. is to give an ENTIRE range of who you are in an audition. An audition is NOT the performance.

This rang very true for me. An audition is the chance to show the auditor WHO you are. Your personality.. and all facets of it.

This book is a staple for any serious actor & with each new set of sides I receive.. I touch base with my highlighted parts and get renewed :)
Emily Giuffre
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ALL ACTORS!!!
Recommended to Emily by: Professor
The absolute must read for actors. If you want to have successful auditions you have to get this book for yourself and read it a few times. Known by all in the business as the "bible" on how to audition and very good just to go deeper into characters after you've been cast in a play.
LeeLee
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be cheesy, but damned if it's not really, really helpful.
Jennifer Bridge
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, pragmatic advice for scene study/monologues/auditions. Somewhat antiquated. A useful resource for students and teachers of Theatre.
Kayley
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
As a Theatre major, this book has done more than just open my eyes when it came to auditioning. This book is very helpful for actors. Highly recommend it.
Walter
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
The best book on the topic of acting ever written. I have used it countless times, both as a teaching tool and as a reference for myself. MUST READ if you want to get better at getting cast.
Chalise
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Use it in my acting classes. It is great for beginning actors and experienced actors alike. Easy to understand and apply as an actor.
Mark Amacker
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! It helps teach much more than auditioning, it also teaches exploring and approaching scenes. Excellent for anyone who is into acting if even a little, it'll help you out!
Richard Wu
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The economic mountaineers one finds scaling Wall Street skyscrapers love bragging about the quality of the bags under their eyes, and it’s true, they do keep late hours under abusive labor hierarchies. But in the pissing contest of masochism I wonder if they have anything on aspirant actors, who must, on stage, rend and tear their hearts and souls only to face rejection after rejection for the very qualities that dignify their humanity, all for, at best, a literal fraction of that emerald aquavi ...more
Michael Padilla
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From Screen, Stage, to Life, Michael Shurtleff was an American Actor and a Big Force in the casting world. His experiences took him very far in his career in life as a casting director. "Audition: Everything an Actor needs to know to get the part" is just that, showing us the step by step process of how to make sure we nail that next actor's audition.
Jiamin Huang
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a very interesting book but I can only read the preview of the book and not the whole book.
Krista Buccellato
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: this book's primary focus is on how to audition with sides. His ideas and techniques will apply to musical theatre auditions as well. You'll just have to make some small adjustments to apply them. Also, as much as we'd like to believe auditioning is timeless, I just don't think it is. And this book is a little outdated. Actors are no longer required to audition on a stage with just one light. The challenge of filling the space and finding your light is of no concern. The methods he s ...more
Emily
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre-biz
...I wish I hadn't waited forever to read this book.

This book is a gold mine of information, tips, and advice for any actor, regardless of the market you work in. Though written in 1978, everything still rings true now - and what great stories about the greats when they were young! Streisand, DeNiro, Gielgud, Vereen! They're all in here.

As an American considering training in the UK at some point, there's also some helpful comparisons between American and British attitudes toward various aspect
Colleen
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
"...References and language that Shurtleff used in this book are now out-dated (it was published in 1978), but the information he provides is timeless...The real meat of Audition is the second chapter, in which Shurtleff has outlined his 12 Guideposts. In fact, for the acting class I took, the guideposts were the reason this book was assigned...The rest of the chapters in Audition are full of valuable information as well, but I would strongly recommend this book to actors and aspiring actors if ...more
Joe
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael's book changed my view on human behavior. It has given me some practical insight to why people do what they do. He does not need to go into great depth, or give endless examples he because he states it so clearly. Even if you aren't an actor, this will help you see deeper into your fellow humans.

One example is when someone says, "What?" It is rare that they say this because they didn't hear you. So what makes a person say this? Time to think? Caught at something? Surprised?

Another exampl
Unitaga
I really enjoyed this book. It was incredibly user-friend, and I had no trouble at all understanding exactly what the author meant. I read this book to help me with some auditioning techniques, and instead, it ended up helping me with my acting technique. In this book, Michal covered topics like style, pace, risk-taking, self-rescue, comedy, etc. I realized that my acting was missing several vital layers, and decided to try to add in some of these techniques to a monologue.
I noticed a differen
Aisling
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: acting

An absolute staple for anyone interested in acting, there's a reason it's nicknamed the acting bible! It goes above and beyond the title, because although it's an indispensable tool for auditions, it's just as useful for learning about acting in general. I would also recommend it for writers, as a lot of the advice helps writers gain a deeper understanding of their characters.

The reason it's not a full 5 stars (even though it really does deserve it) is because there were a couple of tim
Elis Madison
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-theater
I didn't tread the boards for long before I recognized that I'm constitutionally built for the backstage. But my aunt, once an actor, recommended this gem to me and she's right. Even for writers, it's a terrific, quick, to the gut way of finding the deepest needs of a character, the "what are you fighting for" motivation, and building on it in every scene.

If you want to know how to build a character on the fly, this is your book. And in between some of the best tips I've seen, there are some de
Valerie Jones
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Audition" is by far the best organized, and understandable acting book I've ever read. Not only can Shurtleff's guidelines be applied to auditioning, they are the fundamental building blocks for all character development.Shurtleff breaks auditioning down into 12 realistic, easy to achieve "guideposts." By following these, I have become a better actor and director.

Unfortunately, due to some explicit content within the book, I do not use it as a text for my acting classes. However, I do use a han
Kai Morris
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This happens to be the second book related to acting that I have read. Because I enjoyed "The End of Acting" by Richard Hornby, this spiked my interest for reading other books on acting and this happened to be the one. I enjoy learning new things as I read, and this book is very informal, but not in a "textbook" manner, but actually keeps your eyes and brain open while reading. One aspect of this book that really caught my attention was when it started talking about regular people keeping secret ...more
  • Respect for Acting
  • True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor
  • The Actor and the Target: New Edition
  • The Empty Space: A Book About the Theatre: Deadly, Holy, Rough, Immediate
  • Freeing the Natural Voice
  • The Power of the Actor: The Chubbuck Technique -- The 12-Step Acting Technique That Will Take You from Script to a Living, Breathing, Dynamic Character

“Conflict is drama.” 7 likes
“Forget about weak or strong, aggressive or passive. There are no passive characters, there are no weak ones. There is winning and there is losing, but every actor must fight for something he wants and needs. If you are concerned about getting what you need, then you will never let preconceived judgments get in your way.” 0 likes