Start by marking “Frostbitten: 12 Hymns of Misery” as Want to Read:
Frostbitten: 12 Hymns of Misery

Frostbitten: 12 Hymns of Misery

Frostbitten: 12 Hymns of Misery repackages Author Steve Stred’s first two releases, here for you, in one easy to digest offering. Taking his first short story (For Balder Walks) and his first short story anthology (The Fence: and Other Sordid Tales), and combining them, Steve has delivered a devastating mix of styles to truly work its way into your psyche.

12 Hymns of

Published September 1st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Frostbitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frostbitten

Start your review of Frostbitten: 12 Hymns of Misery
Lee  drunkonbookz
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Short stories seem to be my jam lately so I was thrilled when I came across Steve Stred. The synopsis for his short stories had me intrigued immediately.

The first story "For Balder Walks" had me hooked instantaneously then to be followed up with "Jim" that was unmistakably heartbreaking and spiritually dark, unfortunately for me I could relate to this story. I loved every word.

As the stories continued they got even more intriguing, they were dark, emotional and some brutal.

If I was forced to
Lauren
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I needed a break from my current read. I needed something quick and plot driven to break up the slow pace of the novel I was reading. I decided I'd jump into Frostbitten: 12 Hymns of Misery by Steve Stred that I had won from him in an Instagram giveaway. I haven't read any of his work but the reviews were glowing so I jumped in for some fun horror stories (horror is fun for me, ok?) While the short stories read quick, they weren't necessarily easy reads! I was confronted by haunting sorrow, ...more
Christopher Henderson
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great example of why I enjoy reading indie authors. A highly entertaining collection of strange, compelling tales that buzz with imagination and the sheer pleasure of story-telling. I really liked this.
Aiden Merchant
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will write up more for this on my website soon, but here's the short of it: This starter collection opens strong and closes strong. It shows Steve's early work in fantasy and sci-fi, which I really appreciate (seeing as I feels he most excels there). I've been working my way through Steve's library this year and I won't be stopping after this book.
D Gillis
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Frostbitten is a collection of twelve dark tales.

For Balder Walks is one of my favorites here. We follow Balder as he makes his way through a harsh, barren landscape with only his thoughts and memories to keep him company. He is traveling away from home and through a series of flashbacks we discover what has happened to his family. The author has done a great job creating the setting and atmosphere for this story. Eerie and unsettling!

The Stairs brings up the classic childhood fear of the
Matt Rojo Ruilova
So, this is my maiden voyage into the sea of literature, and what better way to begin reviewing than with "Frostbitten!"

Mr. Stred has coined a new sub-genre; let's call it "Bleak fantasy." Throughout this book, characters face different hardships (loss, sickness, rejection, fear...), and you root for them to get better, to solve their problems, to get by. Unfortunately, none of these things happen. "12 Hymns of Misery" (with capital M) is a pretty fricking accurate way to describe these stories.
Siân Plummer (plumreads__s)
Aug 29, 2018
B.P. Gregory
Aug 29, 2018
Steve Stred
Aug 31, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Michael Hicks

• Halloween Fiend
  • Horror Film Poems
  • Round And Round
  • Best Seller
  • A Shining in the Shadows (Gabriel Davenport #2)
  • Hickory Dickory Dock (Hercule Poirot, #32)
  • Cat Among the Pigeons (Hercule Poirot, #34)
  • Black Girl Unlimited
  • Osgood Riddance (The Spectral Inspector, #2)
  • The Making of Gabriel Davenport (Gabriel Davenport #1)
  • The Liar's Key (The Red Queen's War, #2)
  • The Festering Ones
Steve Stred writes dark, bleak horror fiction.

Steve is the author of three novels, a number of novellas and four collections.

He is proud to work with the Ladies of Horror Fiction to facilitate the Annual LOHF Writers Grant.

Steve is also a voracious reader, reviewing everything he reads and submitting the majority of his reviews to be featured on Kendall Reviews.

Steve Stred is based in Edmonton,