Start by marking “Summer Hours” as Want to Read:
Summer Hours

Summer Hours

Fantastic. Wistful, mysterious, sparkling with secrets, scenery, and some steaminess. I raced through Summer Hours in a day! Meg Donohue, USA Today bestselling author

"A perfect summer read."
Booklist

From the author of The Summer List, a warmly told novel set in the mid 90s and 2008 about the idealism of youth, the seductive power of nostalgia, and what happens when you
Kindle Edition
Published June 4th 2019 by Graydon House

To ask other readers questions about Summer Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Hours

Start your review of Summer Hours
Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
4.5 Stars!

The thrill of the chase. Entering into other people's worlds, so different from your own. One fact leading to another, feeling your way through the dark, sometimes crawling and sometimes backing up and sometimes running. The certainty that the story is important, that you have to keep going because no one else will. Until you're out of the maze, holding a fragment of the truth up to the light.

Becc has two best friends - Eric and Serra. They were the three musketeers all through high
Larry H
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

"Whatever we'd been swimming away from, whatever we sensed lurking inside that gold nylon graduation cap above us, maybe we'd been right to fear it. We say we'll never be like them, but it happens. It happens gradually. We give in a little here, put off the hard decision there, say we're paying our dues. We forget to swim against the current."

It was the three of themBecc, Eric, and Serraagainst the world in high school. Becc and Eric always had an unspoken connection but his emotional
Amy Doan
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Excited to get this novel to you. Love the characters & story so much!!
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved The Summer List Amy Mason Doan brought us in the summer of 2018. It had touches of nostalgia, and those same bits are present in Summer Hours. Bring on all the reads set in the 90s!

Becc is a devoted student and want-to-be reporter with big dreams. One summer she becomes involved in an affair, and she loses everything in the process- her dreams, her best friend.

Several years later, shes on her way to a wedding, and shes feeling nostalgia and wistfulness for that time period. Is that
Kell
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an advanced Kindle copy of this book.

I LOVED this one and couldn't put it down. The characters and scenery up and down the California coast are so real and vividly detailed and Rebecca's unusual love triangle with the sexy older "forbidden" man and her complicated relationship with her best friend, Eric (who holds a torch for her) was juicy and something I related to immediately. At times funny and at times heartbreaking, but always very honest and true to the characters and their
Travel.with.a.book
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finishing The Summer List and having in our top 10 reads of last Year, we wanted to read so much more from Amy, she's such a brilliant and talented writer! Summer Hours is stunning book with a very amazing cover! We love all the details the Author puts within the cover, also her writings style is unique and fascinating!
The book is funny, captivating and really intriguing! Amy has touched more sensitive topics this time and she has elaborated them so mindful! The plot was really rich filled with
Andrea Lac
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow, wow, wow.
I just read the last page of Summer Hours and I have to say I absolutely adored this gripping, endearing and beautifully written book. It's a tightly-plotted and engaging story about first friendships, first secrets, first SEX* (more on that later), coming of age, and, most of all, it's about reconnecting with the handful of people who matter most. On a road trip up the California coast, the 33-year-old main character, Becc, is forced to confront a choice she made at 20 that has
Lisa Leone-campbell
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Summer Hours is a love story of sorts, but more important it is a story of a girl (woman) Becc who experiences a few rites of passage during her lifetime. As a child, she and her best friend Eric bond over movies...any and all. Inseparable until the end of their senior year of high school, both realize that perhaps this friendship could turn into something more. It is made quite clear by the end of that summer nothing will happen.

When high school turns into college, Becc has a relationship with
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
I read The Summer List by this author last year and really enjoyed it so I was eagerly anticipating this book. I loved it!! This is a story of friendship, mistakes, love, and finding yourself. The book spans over a few years and goes back and forth in telling the relationship between Becc and Eric. As teenagers they were best friends. The summer before they left for college Eric pulled away from Becc and they remained relatively estranged for years. Meanwhile, as the years passed Becc struggled ...more
Jennifer Klepper
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I devoured Amy Mason Doan's debut, "The Summer List", and was thrilled to get an early copy of "Summer Hours". I love Amy's ability to conjure the sun-washed days of youth and contrast them with the sometimes jaded adults we become, all in flawless prose that keeps you turning the pages. In "Summer Hours", we follow good girl Becc who, while breaking free of her carefree and boundless childhood, makes decisions and finds herself the victim of circumstances that lead to a future her younger self ...more
Diane
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Amy Mason Doan's first novel, so I was eager to read this one. And it didn't disappoint. The characters were beautifully rendered and so very real in their dreams, urges, and regrets. I raced through the book and loved every page. I think everyone will love it.
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Filled with 90s references galore and a second chance at a first love, Amy Mason Doans Summer Hours delivers on all fronts! Told in alternating timelines between 1998 & 2008, we know Becc & Eric are estranged for the ten years in between, but we dont know why.

Doan artfully reveals what happened in those fateful years and tells a tale of friendship, love, mistakes and redemption leading up to a hell of an ending! This was my first book by Doan and Ill be eager to go back and read her
Elena Mikalsen
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this delightful nostalgic tale of friendship, love, and the impact of choices we make as teens. For fans of stories about the West Coast and stories that make us think of many "what ifs" from our own lives. Amy Mason Doan is a master of women's fiction, the descriptive and emotional portrayal of family, friendship, love, and choices women make.
AW
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining, touching and clever. I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely and timely book.
Even though I really, really wanted to peek at the last pages to see what would happen when this road trip ended, Im so glad I went along for the ride.
Characters, even relatively minor ones, are so intriguing and descriptions of places along the way depicted so vividly that it pays to savor every page of this wonderful novel.
The plot, a gender-swapped nod to The Graduate, is an evergreen story of a good person
Lorilin
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, arc
Rebecca and Eric have been best friends since forever. Theyve been there for each other through it allfrom dealing with academic pressure at school to handling family drama at homeand even though financially their situations couldnt be more different, theyve always understood each other on a deep level. But at the end of their senior year, Eric hints that he might want something more than a friendship with Rebecca, and things getweird. When Rebecca doesnt immediately reciprocate feelings, the ...more
Terri Reed
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: true romantics, people looking for smart summer reads
Got my hands on an early ecopy & tore through it very quickly over a rainy weekend. Summer Hours is a classic but surprisingly twisty summery story that the author handles with heart and intelligence.

Sexy, slow-burn tease of a plot that more than pays off in an ending that will give you ALL THE FEELS (and make you wish you lost your virginity on Catalina island.)

Gorgeous writing throughout and to-die settings. Recommended.
Penny Lewis
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I couldn't put it down. Smart, sexy, thought provoking, and heart warming! Highly recommend.
Lisa Leone-campbell

When high school turns into college, Becc has a relationship with
Alyson Goodman
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy Mason Doan, you are becoming one of my favorite storytellers! The Summer List was my favorite book of 2018, so I could not wait to read Summer Hours and I absolutely loved it. From the characters who you feel like are your own friends because with the way Amy writes, you are feeling every emotion alongside them, through the tour through California, I could not put this book down and had to keep reading to find out what happens.

Becc story is relatable from so many angles, what teenager isn't
Karen Fowler
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a heartwarming, intelligent, romantic, and enjoyable read! The characters are sympathetic but real and flawed, and the writing flows beautifully.

I loved this one.
Rebecca and her best friend Eric have never given into their undeniable attraction, but they are clearly meant for each other. Or are they? When college sends these two to opposite sides of the country, Rebecca, weighed down by her good-girl image, gives into temptation and dates the one person she knows she shouldn't:
Jenelle Lindsay
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved and devoured Doan's debut novel SUMMER LIST, so I've been looking forward to her follow-up SUMMER HOURS for months and luckily got a NetGalley copy. I work in media and read a ton of books and scripts for my job, and it's hard to find a lot of stories that stand out and keep you engaged. I wondered if Doan's second novel would have the same effect -- where I can't put it down.

And it did. There was definitely no sophomore slump. Doan has a real talent for drawing characters who are
Jennifer Klepper
Leslie Gordon
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this terrific second novel by Amy Mason Doan. Like her first book, The Summer List, this story is mysterious, clever and un-put-downable. Doans writing is vivid, darkly funny and crisp. Highly recommend. ...more
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Swooning over this perfect beach read!

The Summer Hours was everything you could want in a juicy love triangle, a road trip, a wedding, a coming of age book, college life, first jobs and first times - it's got it all!

We first meet Becc as she's on a road trip - with a mysterious passenger. The story goes back and forth from what happens along the ride, and also back to how she got in this awkward place. There are things that Becc did, careless and carefree - that have placed her in some very
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
What a beautiful written book with flawed characters this was such a breath of fresh air had me craving for summer!! Becca , Sierra and Eric had been best friends in high school. Becca has always felt the pressure to be perfect to always be the good girl. As her feelings grow for Eric towards the end of her senior year and nothing happens she feels the pressure of college and finding herself. Eric whose dealing with his own emotional problems the fact his parents are going through a divorce and ...more
BookGypsy
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Becc's past is coming back in vivid memories as she travels to a wedding along the California coast with a man she hasn't seen in years. A duel time line from 2008 flashing back to the 1990's That made my own memories and choices come flooding back. A beautiful story of having dreams and the choices you make. Lyrical and thought provoking. A summer list must have. Don't miss it.

I was given a copy from the publisher for my honest review.
Dawnny-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte Review
Novels N Latte Book
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Summer Hours by Amy Mason Doan is an interesting coming of age book set in the 1990s and 2008. The characters are so dynamic, and the main character, Rebecca, is one that is easy to relate to, although her choices make things hard for her. The setting and the summer road trip make this a perfect book for a summer TBR.

Flipping between the two time periods of Rebeccas life makes Summer Hours a book that is hard to put down. In the 1990s setting, Rebecca is just
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've written this review for Really Into This

Check out all of our reviews at https://reallyintothis.com
Happy Reading, friends!

After loving The Summer List last year, I couldnt wait to get my hands on Summer Hours by Amy Mason Doan. This is one of my more highly anticipated books this summer!

Growing Up 90's Style

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel about friendship, growing up, love, the choices we make & what stems from said choices.

I'm giving a shout out to my buddy Heather over at Book
Susan Peterson
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. This is a story that had me holding my breath as I waited for the inevitable to happen, dreading difficult bits, hoping against hope that somehow it was all going to be okay. I love books about choices and consequences, betrayal and forgiveness, and Summer Hours brilliantly captures the essence of all that and more. The heroine, Becc, finds herself adrift and restless the summer that she is 20; trying to figure out who she isnot ...more
Linda Zagon
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy Mason Doan, Author has written a memorable, thought-provoking, emotional, intense and captivating novel. There are basically two timelines in this story, one in the 1990s and the other is 2008 I appreciate the way the author weaves the two together. The Genres for this Novel are Contemporary Fiction, Fiction, Romance, Coming of Age and Womens Fiction. The author describes her characters as complex and complicated. I like that the title of this story, Summer Hours symbolically could stand for ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Combine two editions into one page 5 30 Nov 07, 2018 12:41PM

• Surfside Sisters
  • The Unbreakables
  • One Night at the Lake
  • Summer of '69
  • My Ex-Best Friend's Wedding
  • The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • The Summer Guests
  • One Summer in Paris
  • Sunset Beach
  • A Wedding on the Beach
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • Feels Like Falling
Amy lives in Portland, Oregon. She grew up in California, but as a girl she visited the Oregon Shakespeare Fest with her grandparents every year, and she now considers both states home.

As a writer for publications including The Oregonian, San Francisco Chronicle, Wired and Forbes, Amy has interviewed everyone from beer-brewing monks to nanotechnologists. Amy has an M.A. in journalism from