Start by marking “Lichtjaren” as Want to Read:
Lichtjaren

Lichtjaren

(Light Years #1)

Na een aanval door een mysterieuze vijand, laat de exclusieve Quatra Fleet Academy voor het eerst studenten toe van elke planeet in het zonnestelsel. Vier studenten maken zich op voor een nieuw schooljaar:

Vesper is een ambitieuze piloot die alles op alles zal zetten om als kapitein geselecteerd te worden. Maar nog voor het jaar echt is begonnen, verliest ze die positie a
Published October 1st 2018 by Blossom Books

To ask other readers questions about Lichtjaren, please sign up.
CerysAnne There are three, possibly four (depends on how you see it) romances that play out for the main characters, though most of them aren’t the main focus…moreThere are three, possibly four (depends on how you see it) romances that play out for the main characters, though most of them aren’t the main focus of the storyline.
It’s very much a YA novel as the characters are around 17 years old and are attending a college.
This is also very much a Sci-Fi; no mistaking that in anyway
Never read Red Rising so don’t know about similarities (less)

Carrie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light Years by Kass Morgan is the first book in the new young adult science fiction fantasy series by the same name. The series follows four different students from different planets as they join the Quatra Fleet Academy.

Cormak is from the toxic planet Deva and had been struggling to survive with his older brother when he finds out his brother was killed on a mission. Right before he was killed however Cormak’s brother had been admitted into the academy so with him gone Cormak uses his ID to tak
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK.

Ahem.

Actual 5 Words: Friendship, secrets, prejudice, subterfuge, space.

Review first posted to Tea Party Princess

This book was absolutely excellent.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I came into Light Years, I just knew that I was in the mood for a space book and this one was at hand, as it came in May's Illumicrate box. Now, I'm usually not a fan of space books. My sci-fi love leans toward dystopia. But oh my. This book.

My favourite characters were Vesp
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
↠ 4 stars

When I got an arc of this in an Illumicate box, I 100% looked at the cover and wasn’t all that sure about it; I’m not that fond of cover models or faces on books. However, when I picked it up, I discovered it was a really addictive book with good characters and an interesting storyline. To be sure, it’s nothing super original or overly special, but it is pretty fun and seemed to be exactly what I wanted to read.

Perfect for fans of Illuminae or Across The Universe, Light Years centres ar
Adah Udechukwu
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light Years is an awesome novel. I liked the entire concept and I'm totally looking forward to reading book 2. The novel didn't disappoint. It was 5 stars from start to finish.
Rissa
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light years 3.5⭐

These four rivals will have to work together to survive.

Cormack lost his brother and his coping is getting into the academy at all cost
Vesper is at the top of her game until a wrecking ball of attitude comes and changes her approach to the academy and flying
Orelia is a spy on a mission but if she gets caught up in the wrong crowd she is going to lose more than her standings.
And Arren is just a horney guy trying that gets caught up in thigs he never thought a simple crush would
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
$2.99 on 27 DEC 2018 US Kindle
Aly
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I enjoy these types of sci fi books. Teenagers in space, each with particular skills, uniting to fight the enemy. I liked that we had four main characters and got each one's narration. The audiobook had separate narrators which made it even better. Each character was likeable in their own way and each had secrets and a past they are trying to overcome. My favorite character was Cormak, who came to the academy under false pretenses, but was smart and crafty and worked his way to the top. Aaran wa ...more
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review – thank you!

I really struggled a lot with rating this one. On one hand, we had bland writing and minimal world-building. But on the other, we had a plotline which ended up being surprisingly gripping.

The planets of Deva and Chetire are poisonous hellholes, where only the poorest – known as Settlers – live. Meanwhile, Tri is where the real cream of society live, and only Tridians have been permitted into the elite Quatra Fleet Academy – until now. T
Jessica {Litnoob}
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a solid 3.5 that shot up to a 4.5 with that amazing ending! This was a complex story told in a simple and fast paced way which kept things going and was interesting. I was hoping that we would get a little more back story, a little more into their emotional plights as they struggled through all the action. In that respect it felt slightly rushed (I live for emotional turmoil lol) still it was such a good story and I can’t wait for book two.
⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess)
When I was a kid, I always wanted to become a pilot. Just a 'normal' pilot would've been fine. Now that I'm older and kind of in love with the stars/space, I could actually imagine flying a spaceship if that were possible ;)
That being said, here's my review.

I have to confess I only picked this book up because of the name Kass Morgan on the cover. I'm a HUGE fan of The 100, and while I like the tv show definitely more than the books, she's the woman who came up with the idea and the characters in
Karen’s Library
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
4 young adults from 4 very different worlds are chosen to enter the elite space academy. 3 of those worlds are inhabited by settlers or "edgers" and this is the first year they've been admitted to the academy.

I really enjoyed this story even though it did end on a bit of a cliffhanger. The story is told from 4 POVs of the main characters, who are thrown together to form a squadron and each are extremely likeable.

Because of the cliffhanger, I can't wait to see what happens next and will be readi
Lisa
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, arc
I never read The 100, so this was my first experience with this author's writing. I was not let down!

Each of her characters (there are 4 main POVs) are well-developed and bring something special to the story. I felt fully invested in each of their lives, which is hard to do with so many main characters.

This background for this story is innately political, and I like how this thread was woven throughout the story in big ways. A few elements were definitely predictable, but it didn't make it any
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
**I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review as a lbyrpartner**

4 - 4.5 stars.

This was a super quick book to get through but the individual story lines mixed with the overall story were damn good. I cannot wait to read what happens next!

FRTC.

---------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

This is going to be another tough review to write as I greatly enjoyed this story. I enjoyed the setting, the characters, the plot, the twists, the turns, all of it. I am
Shelley
*Source* Lbrary
*Genre* Young Adult, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3-3.5

*Thoughts*

Light Years is the first book in a thrilling and romantic new sci-fi series from the bestselling author of The 100, Kass Morgan. Four cadets at the Quatra Fleet Academy will have to put their differences aside and become a team if they want to defend their world from a cunning enemy--and they might even fall in love in the process. The four main characters are Cormak, Aryan, Vesper, and Orelia.

*Full Review @ Gizmos Revie
Kristen
3.5 stars I think!

This was a fun, quick read. It is from several character’s POV and I def connected more to some than others. Each character was interesting though. I am curious to read the sequel!! I really like the set up at the end of this one. I guess my biggest issue was that some things felt a tad rushed.
Vicky Who Reads
Mar 05, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
wHAT WILL IT TAKE TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS BOOK???

things I am willing to give away:
- my soul
- misc. teeth
- my first through 80th born children

oh why is it not September yet???
Kath (Read Forevermore)
An arc of this book was sent to me by Little Brown Young Readers (The NOVL) in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

rating: 4 / 5

To be honest with you, I probably would not have picked up Light Years if I had not been sent a copy but I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this book. So a huge shoutout to the folks over at The NOVL for knowing my book tastes more than I do.

— writing
Super fast paced and easy to read. However, I felt it was a tad bit rushed
Jenna
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
First of all, how DARE this book end that way? What is it with science fiction novels and ending on such a big cliffhanger? I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

Second, wow this book was brilliant! The characters were so vibrant and the relationships were so unpredictable, I loved it so much. My only real gripe with it has to do with the plot, pacing and climax of the novel. If anything I though it all happened a bit too conveniently, particularly the big event that happens towards the end of the no
K.S. Marsden
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Cormak and his crew have to prove that they deserve their place at the Academy. But there are more plots in play than they are prepared for.

I received a free copy fro Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. Despite being a big fan of watching The 100, this is the first book from Kass Morgan that I've read.

The story follows the four trainees that make up Squadron 20, in the Quatra Fleet Academy.
These young men and women are the best of the best from Tri and the sur
Bookphenomena (Kindling Micky)
I loved the concept of this book but I struggled to get invested in the execution of the characters and the story. The idea of a diverse set of space cadets from different planets and places, training to become pilots and other roles is a great concept. However, this felt overly character-driven when I needed more context about the world, the planets, the ‘space-stuff’.

I really struggled to get into this book and kept setting it down but I can say that after 40% it did pick up for me significant
Imke
ARC received in the Illumicrate book box.

3.5 stars, I like the story and it became better towards the end of the book. It is a highschool story set in space. Not my usual type of book but I enjoyed it. Might read the second book, because this one does end on a cliff-hanger.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
I still can't stand cover models for the most part, but on the plus side, I like the diversity I am seeing on the cover.
Paige Green
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received an arc of this book from TheNovl/Little Brown Young Readers. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Rating: 5/5

Publication Date: October 8th, 2018

Genre: YA Sci-Fi

Recommended Age: 15+ (slightly sexual scenes, romance, violence, death, terrorist  activities and threats)

Pages: 374

Author Website

Amazon Link

Synopsis: Reeling from the latest attack by a mysterious enemy, the Quatra Fleet Academy is finally admitting students from every planet in the solar system after centuries of exclu
Rosemary Standeven
I really enjoyed this book. The general set-up is not new: a group of young people from different backgrounds put together in an academy, all competing to graduate with full honours. Unlikely friendships are made, there are nasty colleagues, bigotry, some danger, ethical dilemmas and romantic up and downs. Despite all this, our heroes should pull through in the end.
What does set it apart, though, are the well-developed main characters with their backstories, and the moral ambiguities.
The stage
Demi Idle
Space Battle School is my favourite Si-Fi setting and I expected to enjoy this book.
I did not read "The 100", but I watched it and was looking forward to a gripping plot with many dangers and unexpected developments.

I have to hand it to the author - she does good premises and interesting characters.
There is an underlying threat of a mysterious enemy with unknown motives and origin.
There is an imperialistic unfair society where racism is ripe and the decadent ruling class has only now began to al
Lovely Loveday
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LIGHT YEARS by Kass Morgan is a young adult science fiction novel that does not disappoint. This fast-paced read focuses on four students as they train at The Quatra Fleet Academy. An academy that trains the best young students to become officers in their military. Each planet has sent their best and brightest but because of a new policy that regards Settlers as second class citizens, many are not happy.  Morgan creates a group of characters that are well-developed and each one brings something ...more
Anne Pauline
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Des personnages hétéroclites pour un livre choral mélangeant Star Trek et Battlestar Galactica.

Addictif, certains détails m’ont empêchés d’avoir un total coup de cœur, mais n’ont absolument pas gâchés ma lecture.

De la science fiction pure avec des enjeux politiques et de conflits galactiques. Bref tout ce que j’aime.
Fabi
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Que livro espetacular! Cada vez mais gosto deste género de literatura! Mal posso esperar pelo próximo 😉
Giusy P.
Ho sempre sentito parlare male dei libri di questa autrice e ammetto che avevo paura di leggere una cagata pazzesca. In realtà non è stato malaccio, anzi piuttosto piacevole nonostante gli evidenti difetti.
Il cliffhanger finale... Argh!
Joel
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much, even though it was somewhat predictable. Had a good mix of different characters/ personalities. If this series continues I'll definitely read the next one.
  • The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • Enemy Exposure (The Raven Files, #2)
  • Jinxed (Book 1)
  • Chilling Effect (Untitled, #1)
  • What Goes Up
  • The Tomb
  • Wilder Country (Winter, #2)
  • Freefall
  • Rewind (Rewind #1)
  • Wreck
  • Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds (Jane Doe Chronicles #1)
  • The Survival Game
  • Long Dark Dusk (The Australia Trilogy, #2)
  • Active Memory (Mirador, #3)
  • Take Three Girls
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy, #1)
  • The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)
  • The Ones That Disappeared
Kass Morgan studied literature at Brown and Oxford, and now resides in Brooklyn, where she lives in constant fear of her Ikea bookcase collapsing and burying her under a mound of science fiction and Victorian novels.

Light Years (2 books)
  • Supernova (Light Years #2)