Start by marking “Albert's Quiet Quest” as Want to Read:
Albert's Quiet Quest

Albert's Quiet Quest

(Mile End #2)

Albert just wants to read his book in peace . . . why won't his friends give him some quiet? A delightful picture book about finding alone time from an internationally acclaimed illustrator.

There are so many distractions in Albert's Mile End neighborhood, what's a book-loving introvert to do? Desperate for a quiet place to read, Albert storms out to the alley behind his
Published May 7th 2019 by Tundra Books (NY)

Start your review of Albert's Quiet Quest
Jane
This little book just shot to the top of my favourite picks for 2019. I already knew I liked Isabelle Arsenault's illustrations -- I loved her work in Jane, the Fox, and Me -- but now she's on my *must read* list.

To be honest, the first time I read through this book, I wasn't sure how much I liked this story. Some of the messaging didn't quite strike me the right way. But on my second read, I realized how truly delightful this book is.

In this book we follow Albert as he leaves his noisy house to
Hilary
Beautiful illustrations in turquoise and orange tell of Albert's quest to find a quiet place to read his book. Going out to the back yard he finds an old picture of the beach and he imagines he is there, reading on the sand. Soon other children come out to play and Albert imagines them into his beach scene but the noise begins to grow. When Albert demands quiet they disappear and bring back books and chairs. When Albert apologises for being cross it's his turn to be shushed and they all laugh.

A
David Schaafsma
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second Mile End Kids Story written and illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault, the first being The Lost Pet, Albert's Quiet Quest is on the surface just a story about a kid who wants it quiet enough to read. He goes outside to do that, to be alone. When he gets outside he sees a painting of a beach scene and others again bother him with all their noise and activity and he explodes. The surprise is that the others quietly, one by one, join him in reading and friendship.

It's a Goodreads story of
La Coccinelle
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes peace and quiet can be elusive. That's what Albert discovers when he goes out to the alley to read his book. Actually, he's just sitting there, daydreaming about reading on a beach. But as each of his friends comes along and starts to do their own activities, even his imagination starts to get cluttered and really, really noisy. Finally, he can't take it anymore and he snaps at his friends, driving them all away... or so he thinks.

Albert's frustration is something a lot of people will
Etienne
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazing illustrations. I really loved the art! The story itself is also quite good. A message and praise for quietness and tranquility, which is really right on my personal taste. But I the same time I have mixed feelings about the fact the the kid try to impose his wish to everybody...Still a very pretty and good book!
Abigail
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed 'Colette's Lost Pet'
Seeking out a quiet spot where he can read, the eponymous Albert finds that when all of his neighborhood friends begin to arrive, the peace is slowly destroyed. Eventually he loses his temper, shouting at the other children and (seemingly) driving them away. Fortunately, they like books too, and all ends happily with a group reading session...

I enjoyed French-Canadian author/illustrator Isabelle Arsenault's first picture-book about the children of Mile End - Colette's Lost Pet - so I picked up
Billie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am Albert. Albert is me.
Mathew
Albert’s Quiet Quest follows the latest adventures of Arsenault’s Mile End Kids series and has made me want to picked up the first: Colette’s Lost Pet. In this instalment, we find Albert, frustrated with the noise of his companions, in need of a quiet space. Heading outside he stumbles across an abandoned framed painting of the sea, sun and sand – a far flung idyll from his noisy neighbourhood. Whilst he imagines himself there, the Mile End crew descend on him and gradually intrude upon his ...more
Amy Layton
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
With Arsenault's usual knack for color, imagery, and storytelling,Albert's Quiet Quest shows the beauty in being quiet in a group, where everyone does their own thing separately yet together. It's appreciative and celebratory of time spent wisely and intentionally, and it's perfect for the young one who appreciates beauty in the little things and for those who they themselves tend to live a quieter life. It's great for grades K-3, and great for those who love looking at the detail in pictures. ...more
Beatrice
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I usually don’t add children’s books in my goodreads reading challenge but it was on my physical tbr shelf and I’m only adding physical tbr books to my goodreads challenge count in an attempt to track if I’m reducing that number down.

It’s a cute children’s book. The art was nice. The story was pleasant. It would make a great gift for a small child.
Nick Swarbrick
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming and inventive, a narrative where the only words are in the dialogue between the children, this explores relationships, imagination and the role of quiet. A sort of “Sign on Rosie’s Door” for a new generation?
Karrie
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Finding a quiet place to read is difficult for everyone, but Albert finds a great one. Then one by one friends come and cause a commotion, leading Albert to an outburst. The outburst causes a happy ending.
Krista
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely in LOVE with the illustrations. This book has such a cute premise and a warm ending; I really enjoyed it!
MaryLibrarianOH
Albert just wants a quiet place to read but the neighbor kids want him to play.
Debbie Wright
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Great illustrations. Albert seeks peace and quiet in order to read. His friends come to see the attraction of a good book and quite reading.
Molly
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This beautifully illustrated story of a young boy trying to find a quiet space to read will speak to readers and introverts everywhere. I really enjoyed it.
Allie
Isabelle Arsenault is my favorite illustrator and this book is lovely. It builds kind of like Leave Me Alone! or My Very Own Space, but I like the ending with all the neighborhood kids coming together to read quietly.
Tasha
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In this second book in the Mile End Kids series, Albert is looking for a quiet place to read. His house is way too noisy, so he heads to the alley behind his house. There he notices a painting of the sea at sunset and imagines he is reading on a quiet beach. But the alley starts to get busier as he sits there. Some children are working on potting a plant. Others begin a badminton game. Another girl asks Albert to watch her doll while she gets her cat. Someone else plays music and kids start to ...more
Khansa Baig
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Young Albert is looking through Mile End for a quiet place to read a book. In the alley, Albert finds a discarded painting of an ocean sunset and pulls up a chair in front of it for quiet reading and contemplation. The page turn gives way to a wordless double-page spread of Albert sitting in a chaise on the beach, and readers will understand that Albert has entered the ocean-sunset picture via imagination to find peace, but he soon experiences interruptions as, one by one, his neighbours intrude ...more
Barbara
Oh, my! How I can relate to Albert's need for peace and quiet so that he can indulge in his favorite pastime--reading a book. In search of silence, he leaves his noisy house behind and heads for the beach. After all, he can relax by the water and look at the horizon while reading. But his bliss doesn't last long as various friends pass by and interrupt him with their invitations, their concern, and their noises. After putting up with all this for as long as he can stand, Albert has had enough ...more
Jana
Albert's house is so noisy, he goes outside with his book to find some peace and quiet. Out in the alley behind his home, he finds a way to get lost in an abandoned painting of a sunny beach and begins to breathe a little easier. Little by little, his friends and neighbors find him and begin invading his newly found quiet place and before too long, it's not so quiet anymore. When we live in community with others, sometimes we have to find a balance between being present for our family and ...more
Ellie Labbett
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poor Albert just wants to get some quiet and read a book, take himself away from his chaotic surroundings and image the sun on his face. Unfortuantely, the real world is not so kind, and continual interruptions leave Albert feeling less than impressed!
Lovely humour and interaction between Albert's dreams and reality, as Albert and his intruders and their actions cross over between the alley and the imagined sunny beach. Georgeous colour pallet in crossing between Albert's real and imagined
Brooklyn Cribdon (The Wild Library)
Isabelle Arsenault is back with another beautifully drawn story that I wish I could jump into. I love that there is a story about a introverted reader, and friends who recognize his need not to be alone, but to enjoy a quiet environment. The story was so wonderfully designed with alternating spreads that portrayed Albert's imaginative beach, inspired by a painting in the alley. Including neighbours and friends in the alley into Albert's beach was so clever and the ending of this story made my ...more
Steph Palmer
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, friendship
At first I thought Albert was a stroppy young boy, but as I continued to read I began to feel sorry for Albert as all he wanted to do was read in quiet. The illustrations in the book are wonderful and the use of speech bubbles can be very useful for children at showing them another way to include dialogue in a book. This book could be read to a class to encourage children to read and enjoy reading as at the end of the book the other characters in the book join albert and bring their books to ...more
Ms.Gaye
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Albert wants a little quiet time to sit and read but it's hard to find with so many active children surrounding him and asking him to join them in their own pursuits. He finally decides that enough is enough...and that's when they decide that maybe Albert has a good idea.
The impressive pencil/watercolor/ink artwork created in a simple color scheme of gray, green and orange allows readers to see Albert's changing mindset. Ages 3-6
Read  Ribbet
Albert's Quiet Quest is a quest to find a quiet place to read. His initial success is thwarted as more friends find him and provide distractions. Once he lets his friends know his intent, they join him in a similar effort. It would be a great read aloud to generate a discussion with young students about what are good conditions for independent reading or read-to-yourself situations. Good use of onomatopoeia through out the book.
William Stanger
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

This is a cute little picture book about a young boy, Albert, who just wants to find some peace and quiet to read. I know how he feels! This book illustrates well the value of both reading and friendship. It's the kind of book I used to enjoy reading to my kids when they were younger. I loved the illustrations and the way they complemented the story. This is one for the 4-8 year olds in your life.
Diane
Sometimes you just need some quiet time. Albert is no exception, so he leaves his noisy house behind and finds a quiet spot to read. But his friends keep showing up to disturb his serenity. They can’t quite understand why Albert doesn’t want to get involved in their play. “Quiet! Can’t someone just read a book around here or what?” He regrets being so harsh with his friends, but they seem to understand.
Cathy Taylor
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Arsenault has written and illustrated a beautiful book, with limited dialogue and beautiful artwork. I really enjoyed her use of colour, not only in the beach scene, but also in the speech bubbles.

It is very important to talk about shared reading and how helpful it can be for children in terms of developing enjoyment in reading and allowing for peer discussion. The fact this book indicates the importance of reading together to that age group is really exciting to me.
Lisa
I'm pretty sure this is a great book, but it didn't work right now either for my kids or me. I love the idea of the plot, all the space there is to discuss what is happening, and the illustrations, so I have no idea why it fell flat - except that I'm pretty sure it's me and not the book. I'd like to give it another shot in the future.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Big Boys Cry
  • Birdsong
  • The Phone Booth in Mr. Hirota's Garden
  • Pokko and the Drum
Isabelle Arsenault is an illustrator who studied Graphic Design at the Université du Québec à Montréal (2001). After her studies, she quickly contributed to several magazines in Canada and the United-States. In 2004, Isabelle illustrated her first children's book, for which she received the prestigious Governor General's Award for children's literature in French (illustration). Her passion for ...more

Mile End (2 books)