Start by marking “Five Unicorn Flush (Reason, #2)” as Want to Read:
Five Unicorn Flush (Reason, #2)

Five Unicorn Flush

(Reason #2)

Only one woman with a magical parasite can unite the galaxy, in the mind-blowing SF sequel to Space Unicorn Blues

The Bala, magical creatures, have hidden themselves from cruel and destructive humanity, leaving the galaxy in shambles. Without unicorn-powered faster-than-light travel, mankind is scattered, starving and isolated across the stars. Cowboy Jim has the sole survi
Published May 28th 2019 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about Five Unicorn Flush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Unicorn Flush

Start your review of Five Unicorn Flush (Reason, #2)
MissBecka
This book picks up 6 weeks after Space Unicorn Blues ends and has all the same sass, adventure and fun as the first book!
I am now fully committed to reading anything T.J. Berry decides to write...
And I'm hoping with the way this ended she decides to write more in this series.

Thank you NetGalley and Angry Robot for this ARC.
Kristen
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here on my blog!~

Ahhhh man this book was fun!

Following the events of the last book, the Bala (magical creatures, everything from centaurs to sirens to dryads) have been moved to their new planet, far far away from humanity, who have spent years harvesting them for magical parts.

Jenny Perata is aboard her bright yellow racing striped ship, the Stagecoach Mary, and is determined to find her wife Kaila, a dryad, no matter how long it’ll take. Without the requisite unicorn horn to pow
Saimi Korhonen
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful sequel to Space Unicorn Blues, a book I also loved.

This book continues the stories of half-unicorn Gary Cobalt, space captain Jenny Perata and all the other amazing characters we were introduced in the first book, while also expanding the universe and introducing more great characters. It's pretty much as good as the first one, so definitely pick it up. And if you haven't read the first one yet, please go read it.

The world of the Space Unicorn books continues to be wacky and weird, b
Tansy Roberts
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really fun space opera with a dark, thoughtful and deeply political vein running all the way through it. A daredevil wheelchair using space captain, an elderly bisexual necromancer pretending to be a quarter of his age, a whole bunch of humans trying to sabotage their own fleet so they don't commit genocide, and a royal family of grumpy, grumpy unicorns.

Honestly, it's very hard to describe this book without sounding completely unhinged. Read it for yourself!

PS: I didn't read the first
John Wiswell
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After dropping another book for being too disappointing to bear, I looked to the sequel to Space Unicorn Blues to lift my spirits. It did exactly what I asked. The last few days of reading have been a delight thanks to the return of this weirdo crew and their antics.

It's set in the same universe as the first book: a sprawling Space Opera where it turns out unicorns, leprechauns, and trolls are all real, but they're aliens who live on other planets. The book swells with personality, and it's wond
Elizabeth
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
TJ Berry returns to fine form with Five Unicorn Flush, the sequel to the much beloved Space Unicorn Blues.

Having been sent with the rest of the magical Bala to a far-off planet, ostensibly safe from humans, Gary the half-unicorn is contending with mounting problems. Humanity had spent decades enslaving the Bala, even harvesting them for their body parts... but the new planet doesn't have television. Stranded with the tech they've become used to, the Bala are murmuring about revolt- there are no
Xerxes
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Gemma at Angry Robots, and Angry Robots for sending me what is one of the wackiest, Monty python style sci-fi novels I’ve read. It’s like if you mixed the Expanse, the Orville and Star Trek all together. It’s that wacky. And very enjoyable.

What can I say about this novel? It’s amazing in the sense it has epic spaceship fights. It’s amazing in the sense that it shows disabilities and I applaud this. Jenny is a lucky woman because staying in a wheelchair is not the best option, and he
Bookeater.dk Bookeater.dk
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love this wonderful mix of SciFi spaceopera and Fantasy. Please bring on number 3 fast :)
Kelrond
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Space Unicorns
The Care and Feeding Of

Courtesy of a 7yo. Space Cuttlefish!
MANY thanks to Angry Robot Books for the eARC. And also Netgalley. But Angry Robot Books!

So there was a snafu with NetGalley. We know how it can go. An ARC is there. Then it's archived. Then it's WOO! On my BIRTHDAY! I got this ARC on my BIRTHDAY.

Had it done like the next day or so. 2 tops. Chips if you got 'em.

Welcome, friends! Welcome to another Rambling Review. That's what I do because I can't seem to keep these coherent
Minx
Five Unicorn Flush is the sequel to Space Unicorn Blues and the story picks up weeks after the end of book one. The Bala, magical creatures, were settling in their new world and even though they were most eager to throw off the shackles of slavery they wore under human rule, many of the Bala were finding life without the amenities that they were accustomed to having to be quite a challenge. Gary Colbalt and his father were doing everything that they could to accommodate the wishes of all but the ...more
Rowan
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera
Where has TJ Berry been all my life? This book was an even more engaging read than Space Unicorn Blues. I have enjoyed the development of these characters and am eagerly looking forward to the next (fingers crossed) book. I could go on about the adventure and intrigue, but honesty, that should be a given, for the genre. What I was most impressed by was her ability to seamlessly and sensitively represent a wide variety of perspectives throughout what could have easily been a rollicking, yet inter ...more
Thomas Mcphee
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magnificent story, and copyediting

This is a beautiful and amazing continuation of a lovely and dark story, but oh boy the kindle edition I got had heaps of grammatical errors and missing words. The editing team should take another look over the manuscript and fix it to increase the ease of reading.
Jess
This is everything I’ve ever hoped for from a sequel and more. I honestly have no idea what I’m going to do now that it’s over.

Seriously, the plot? The characters? Jenny fucking Perata? I LOVE THEM. I love this book more than words can express - it’s hilarious, it’s lovely, it’s exciting. I just need TJ Berry to come to my house and let me read the next book like, now, please.
Martin Willoughby
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book.
Leader of the Pack
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully weird and outrageously odd! Berry's originality makes her stories a joy to read. I look forward to more space unicorn adventures.
Realms & Robots
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NOTE: I was provided a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest, unbiased review.

I’ve been excited to read Berry’s The Reason series for over a year. So excited that I kept it reserved for a time when I could kick back and relax to really enjoy it. Alas, that never happened and here I am a few months past the release of the second book. And let me tell you, it was well worth the wait. Five Unicorn Flush is brimming with imagination that provides solid characters, a fascinat
Angela
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Daniel
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.5 of 5

The Bala are a race commonly referred to as 'Space Unicorns.' They have tremendous healing abilities and their unicorn horns are the only known means to power faster-the-light-speed ships. So of course humans have hunted the Bala nearly into extinction. It's pretty hard to hunt something to extinction when it can practically resurrect itself with its healing powers ... but the intergalactic beings known as 'Reason' are do
HeyT
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed this installment more than the first. One of the best parts of this series is the inclusive nature of the representation that never feels gimmicky. I think Jenny Peralta is one of my favorite characters because she's done some shady and wrong things but has learned from them and is constantly evolving into a better version of herself. Overall I enjoyed this enough to finish in one sitting and I look forward to see where this series is headed in the future.
Hypatia
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, fantasy, ebook
This was entertaining, but no where near as good as the first one. It's clearly set up for more in this series, but I think I've read enough. Part of me wishes the first one had been a stand-alone story. It continues to annoy me how horrible people are to each other in this world, and the characters that really should have gotten their just desserts didn't in the end. The Pymmie are so all-powerful, it really seems like they should be able to do more to solve the problems they can see.
Angela
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I like books that can take an absurd premise and make it into a real story, let alone keep it going for more than one book. Assuming this is going be a trilogy when the third book shows up. As the ending makes it clear that there is supposed to be one more book at least to resolve things from this one.
Adrienne
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Mike Baxter-Kauf
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
It was entertaining but a little bit too close to like a “just accept everybody” we are all xenophobic sort of thing. Still enjoyed the story but it didn’t have the depth of creative ideas that the first one did.
Johanna
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: spec-fic, disability, lgbt
Still has some madcap escapades but not nearly as action-packed as Space Unicorn Blues. Definitely suffers from second book syndrome. Character arcs seem to have stalled a little. Overall good but not incredible.
Terri Luer
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Space Unicorn Blues and Five Unicorn Flush are just plain fun! However.... Five Unicorn Flush coulda used a little extra editing. Can I offer to proofread the next book if I get to read it before the general public?!?! I'm totally game.... cuz I want to know what happens next!
ellis
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
jenny f*cking perata strikes again
Vanessa Ricci-Thode
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just as batshit insane as the first book but with even more heart. Loved it! Sure hope there's another one on the way! :)
Searska GreyRaven
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not quite as solid as the first one, but a good second book for a series. Looking forward to the third one!
Pamela
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Possibly even better than the first; can’t wait for the next!
Caroline Brasseux
It was cute. A spaceship looking for a unicorns horn, maybe underground a.k.a spaceship....

• Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles, #1)
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #1)
  • The Outside
  • Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Finna
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Son of a Liche (The Dark Profit Saga, #2)
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • Doomsday Clock Part 2
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • His Holiness The Dalai Lama: A Message of Spiritual Wisdom
  • No Country for Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell, #2)
  • The Return of the Incredible Exploding Man
  • The Imaginary Corpse
TJ Berry has been a political blogger, bakery owner, and spent a disastrous two weeks working in a razor blade factory. She now writes science fiction, fantasy, and horror from Los Angeles with considerably fewer on-the-job injuries. She's the author of Space Unicorn Blues and Five Unicorn Flush from Angry Robot Books. Find her on Twitter @TJaneBerry.

Reason (2 books)
  • Space Unicorn Blues (Reason, #1)

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...