Start by marking “Windswept (The Mapweaver Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Windswept (The Mapweaver Chronicles, #1)

Windswept

(The Mapweaver Chronicles #1)

"Somewhere to the north, something terrible was happening. In the same way that he could smell the snow, and the same way he knew when the caravan would arrive, he could feel something in the air. A fire, in some town a day or so away. And there was a hint of fear in the air, the wild panic of a trapped animal before the slaughter."

The wind has always spoken to Fox, but i
Published August 18th 2018 by Kaitlin Bellamy (first published August 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Windswept, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windswept

Start your review of Windswept (The Mapweaver Chronicles, #1)
Richard Holden
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it on your day off. You won't want to put it down until you're done!

The characters truly came to life. I only put it down when i absolutely had to. And i can't wait for the next book. I like how the magic is woven into everyday things. It's not huge grand things, it just makes life better.
Chelsea
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books I've read in a long time, and the first book I'm actually sitting down to write a review for on Goodreads. That's how much I loved this book and want others to enjoy it.

If you enjoy fantasy, this is the book for you. And if you don't... it's still a great book. Magic, adventure, action... It's got everything you could possibly want. Fox is a well developed main character and the rest of the characters, even if only present for a couple of pages, feel so real. You b
Dominick Fisher
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is something special about this book - in it, there is a simple beauty that showcases what brilliant writing and story looks like. It has a sense that by reading the words, you are somehow bringing this world to life and breathing awareness into the characters.

It is in the tiny details where the depth of the story and world blooms into something magnificent.

It is not epic in the way some fantasy is - it is constrained and to the point, wholly interested in only a small part of the wider wo
Rachel
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'd been feeling disillusioned by books lately and this was exactly what I needed! Very well written and hard to put down! Excellent work! Well worth spending money on. Can't wait for the next book! ...more
Calvin Park
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I’m not sure how I stumbled upon Windswept by Kaitlin Bellamy. Maybe someone mentioned it on a forum or Twitter. Maybe I happened to see it on Amazon somehow. Regardless, I’m very glad I happened upon it. This is a wonderful coming of age story with unique magic and engaging, believable characters. In other words, it’s very much my kind of fantasy.

The story follows Fox, a young trapper and trader-in-training. He lives in a village in a country cursed by the gods. Long winters threaten survival,
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I admit it...I'm biased. ;-)

That being said -- Just because I'm biased doesn't mean I'm not right! This book is truly good! Windswept had me from page one. The writing is fluid, the characters are easy to get caught up in, the society is charming, the Shavid...well, I'm pretty sure I myself was meant to be a Shavid, just sayin'.

Great dialogue, good plotline, there is great build-up for a truly enticing series.

Congratulations to Kaitlin for a fabulous debut novel, and let's get ready for th
Vamshi aruru
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful read this was!

I love slice of life as a genre, and the only art form that has consistently executed it well is anime. I haven't read many truly slice of life books, except for 84 Charing Cross Road. The farseer trilogy is mostly slice of life too. But apart from those, I haven't read any. But this, this was a wonderful slice of life. Ostentatiously, this book is about a 15 year old boy (Fox) discovering his magical powers and learning to use them properly and help his people. B
AE
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hidden gem of a book!

Many books are driven by the stories of characters with the magic as a catalyst for key events to happen. This book however is driven much by the magic itself with the lives of the characters a backdrop to the discovery of all that the magic can do. And that is a good thing!

I love the different characters and how their stories unfolded. Each had a different pace and a different telling and that is magic weaved into the pages.

The book was well-paced and an easy read. Perfe
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book! I immediately fell in love with Fox. The writing gives perfect description to bring this world and it’s inhabitants to life! I felt like a Shavid reading the story, because I was seeing it in my mind like I was there. I couldn’t put it down. I really can’t wait to continue Fox’s story! A great read for any age!
Nils Odlund
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the last year or so, I've gotten into the habit of downloading book samples of anything I come across as recommended that seems even mildly interesting. They sit in big pile on my kindle, and once I finish reading something, I browse the samples to see if something catches my interest, and if it does, I'll read the sample. If the sample is to my liking, I get the book.
That's how I came across Windswept.
I know someone recommended it, and it might have been the author, but I can't recall, an
Eren Sessiz
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found the book when the author posted the cover art in Reddit. Really enjoyed it!
Anya Pavelle
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Windswept is a beautifully written YA fantasy novel that will appeal to all ages. Fox is a boy who lives in a world without magic (or blessings). A curse removed the blessings long ago. Still, the prose conjures magic, so I could feel the richness of Fox's world, which reminds me of medieval Europe in that people are born into a trade or, sometimes, apprentice elsewhere. Fox's people live a simple existence, but he sees beyond that framework. He starts to see things differently when a group of m ...more
Jessica Piro
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-thought out story in how magic is intertwined with EVERY part of the character's lives living in Sovesta and beyond. Everything has a reason.
The characters feel real, and there is plenty of description for readers to draw these fictional places.
The only drawbacks for me were the slow beginning and too much detail - it weighed down chapters. But other than that, good debut novel.
Tim
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story

The story is unusual as it does not really have an antagonist that drives the protagonist to bigger and better things. Instead, the MC is faced with a number of obstacles at various stages of his development, that while seemingly independent of each other, allows the MC to develop and understand certain aspects of his gift. The story is more focused on his personal relationships and how he fits into the world around him. It did start off a little slow, but it allowed the ch
Cameron
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun story! Great magic!

The magic system in this story is wonderful, and I love how the characters interacted and the story wrapped them together.

What I also liked is how subtly the author has set up what I think will happen in future books.... hopefully I am right. We will see.
Adele
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-favorites
I heard about this book on Reddit and upon hearing Orson Scott Card is the author's mentor, I gave it a shot. I had a blast reading this book! The author really spins the tale well and I love the cities she creates, especially Doff. The story had twists and turns that felt original and unlike other fantasy books. It's a young adult book, so the reading was quick and easy. A lot of complex relationships between Fox and almost everyone he encounters, which felt very real and lifelike. I already pr ...more
Sarah Dickinson
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I shall give no plot details , no description, and no frivolous information. What I will tell you is if it is worth your time, and the answer is a resounding yes! I loved everything about this book. It hooked me and it was impossible to put down. This book is really something special
Jenna Vaughn
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, I have to say this is probably the best book I have read in a good long while. Kaitlin Bellamy really did an amazing job on this book. I am not sure when I purchased it... But I had purchased the whole series on Kindle. I finished another book and so I started on this one and I was completed enthralled from the word go. I can not wait to read the next book in the series!
The main character, Fox, lives in a village steeped in tradition up in the mountains. Folklore tells the tale of the vill
James
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From page one of this wonderful novel I was hooked. Ms. Bellamy captured my imagination with, what I can only describe as, her innate magic of words. Just like her main protagonist, K.B. herself must also be wind-kissed, but with the gift of storytelling. As a longtime fan of epic fantasy, I found the world building to be some of, if not the best I've ever read. As with any truly great story I felt that I was there, living in Thicca Valley. I could almost smell and taste the descriptions as I re ...more
candel
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible writing!

This is an author who kept me fascinated throughout. If there were editing errors, I don't remember them. And I would. I am sooo glad the next is already available BUT only because I am still humming with satisfaction & satiation. It's a coming of age story about a teenage boy & his family, friends, village & gods that have taken an interest in his developing abilities. I love his relationship with his dad & him in general. This autism an original!
Emily
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swept Away

Windswept completely swept me away and quickly. Within the first few chapters I was already feeling connected to the characters and places. I laughed, I cried, I almost threw my book across the room (which would have been bad since I read it on my kindle). The book took turns I didn’t expect, which was a true pleasure. Fantasy can be so predictable even in so called “twists.” Which is why not being able to predict the twists and turns made this book was so refreshing. The world buildin
S.M. Mitchell
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have yet to ever give a book 5 stars in a book review or on Goodreads, take that as a sign that there is literally nothing I could suggest to improve this book. The world building is so intricately beautiful & immersive. I could feel the wind on my face as it spoke to Fox. I could smell the freshly baked bread in the Five Sides kitchen. I could see the bright paint of the Shavid wagons as they rolled down the road covered in bells.

Continue reading: https://smmitchell.com/2020/02/17/win...
David Solove
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful novel. An engaging story in a fully realized world with well-rounded, likeable characters. Beautifully written and an absolute delight to read.
Aravind Yeduvaka
It's a refreshingly simple story with a rich world. Wonderfully written ...more
Pudgy
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, favorites
Found the next books cover on reddit. Gave this a shot and read it in 2 sittings. The writing was captivating. Can't wait for the next one. ...more
Joan
Delightful read! You know that feeling when you can't wait to open your Kindle and read on.... Well, I had this with this book.
Yes, there are some flaws in it- there's a leetle bit too much waffle that could have been cut out and some scenes do little other than pad out the story, but this was just rollicking good fun to read. I loved Fox and the Shaven and all the characters. I liked the world building and the way it all just fell into place.

An author to follow.
Gordon Tait
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Read

Loved this book from start to finish. The novel wraps you up in the characters and they take you along for the ride. You won’t be disappointed.
J. Crane
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very real people interact with an engaging world. A lot of precious moments that I will hold very near and dear to my heart for a very long time.
LeeAnn
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a cozy sweet book. I really enjoyed it, it was simple, young, and well written.
David Drew
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It started off a bit slow and it felt fairly trope-y. But by the end I was more than ready to jump into the second book. Only 3 weeks to go!

An excellent debut novel!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Forced Login (PrimeVerse, #1)
  • True Hero (Champion is Playing, #1)
  • Into Vushaar (Histories of Drakmoor #2)
  • Ice Dragon (The Dragon Misfits #1)
  • Ghostwater (Cradle, #5)
  • The Kingdom Rises (Station Cores #4)
  • Aether's Blessing (Aether's Revival, #1)
  • Breaking Rules (New Game Minus #3)
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Code Hero (Champion is Playing, #2)
Kaitlin is, in all aspects of her life, a storyteller. Whether she is performing on stage in her day job as an actor, narrating audiobooks from her home studio, or playing Dungeons and Dragons with her closest friends, she loves nothing more than a grand fantasy adventure. She currently lives in Orlando, Florida.

To keep up with all her adventures, feel free to join Kaitlin on any one of her social

The Mapweaver Chronicles (4 books)
  • Inkspice (The Mapweaver Chronicles, #2)
  • Wayfinder (The Mapweaver Chronicles, #3)
  • Kingmaker (The Mapweaver Chronicles, #4)