Start by marking “Windswept (The Mapweaver Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Windswept (The Mapweaver Chronicles, #1)

Windswept

(The Mapweaver Chronicles #1)

"Somewhere to the north, something terrible was happening. In the same way that he could smell the snow, and the same way he knew when the caravan would arrive, he could feel something in the air. A fire, in some town a day or so away. And there was a hint of fear in the air, the wild panic of a trapped animal before the slaughter."

The wind has always spoken to Fox, but
Published August 22nd 2018 by Kaitlin Bellamy

To ask other readers questions about Windswept, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windswept

Start your review of Windswept (The Mapweaver Chronicles, #1)
Richard Holden
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it on your day off. You won't want to put it down until you're done!

The characters truly came to life. I only put it down when i absolutely had to. And i can't wait for the next book. I like how the magic is woven into everyday things. It's not huge grand things, it just makes life better.
Chelsea
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books I've read in a long time, and the first book I'm actually sitting down to write a review for on Goodreads. That's how much I loved this book and want others to enjoy it.

If you enjoy fantasy, this is the book for you. And if you don't... it's still a great book. Magic, adventure, action... It's got everything you could possibly want. Fox is a well developed main character and the rest of the characters, even if only present for a couple of pages, feel so real. You
Dominick Fisher
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is something special about this book - in it, there is a simple beauty that showcases what brilliant writing and story looks like. It has a sense that by reading the words, you are somehow bringing this world to life and breathing awareness into the characters.

It is in the tiny details where the depth of the story and world blooms into something magnificent.

It is not epic in the way some fantasy is - it is constrained and to the point, wholly interested in only a small part of the wider
Rachel Raisor
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'd been feeling disillusioned by books lately and this was exactly what I needed! Very well written and hard to put down! Excellent work! Well worth spending money on. Can't wait for the next book!
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I admit it...I'm biased. ;-)

That being said -- Just because I'm biased doesn't mean I'm not right! This book is truly good! Windswept had me from page one. The writing is fluid, the characters are easy to get caught up in, the society is charming, the Shavid...well, I'm pretty sure I myself was meant to be a Shavid, just sayin'.

Great dialogue, good plotline, there is great build-up for a truly enticing series.

Congratulations to Kaitlin for a fabulous debut novel, and let's get ready for
Calvin Park
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I’m not sure how I stumbled upon Windswept by Kaitlin Bellamy. Maybe someone mentioned it on a forum or Twitter. Maybe I happened to see it on Amazon somehow. Regardless, I’m very glad I happened upon it. This is a wonderful coming of age story with unique magic and engaging, believable characters. In other words, it’s very much my kind of fantasy.

The story follows Fox, a young trapper and trader-in-training. He lives in a village in a country cursed by the gods. Long winters threaten survival,
Vamshi aruru
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful read this was!

I love slice of life as a genre, and the only art form that has consistently executed it well is anime. I haven't read many truly slice of life books, except for 84 Charing Cross Road. The farseer trilogy is mostly slice of life too. But apart from those, I haven't read any. But this, this was a wonderful slice of life. Ostentatiously, this book is about a 15 year old boy (Fox) discovering his magical powers and learning to use them properly and help his people.
AE
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hidden gem of a book!

Many books are driven by the stories of characters with the magic as a catalyst for key events to happen. This book however is driven much by the magic itself with the lives of the characters a backdrop to the discovery of all that the magic can do. And that is a good thing!

I love the different characters and how their stories unfolded. Each had a different pace and a different telling and that is magic weaved into the pages.

The book was well-paced and an easy read.
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book! I immediately fell in love with Fox. The writing gives perfect description to bring this world and it’s inhabitants to life! I felt like a Shavid reading the story, because I was seeing it in my mind like I was there. I couldn’t put it down. I really can’t wait to continue Fox’s story! A great read for any age!
Eren Sessiz
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found the book when the author posted the cover art in Reddit. Really enjoyed it!
Tim
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story

The story is unusual as it does not really have an antagonist that drives the protagonist to bigger and better things. Instead, the MC is faced with a number of obstacles at various stages of his development, that while seemingly independent of each other, allows the MC to develop and understand certain aspects of his gift. The story is more focused on his personal relationships and how he fits into the world around him. It did start off a little slow, but it allowed the
Cameron
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun story! Great magic!

The magic system in this story is wonderful, and I love how the characters interacted and the story wrapped them together.

What I also liked is how subtly the author has set up what I think will happen in future books.... hopefully I am right. We will see.
Adele
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I heard about this book on Reddit and upon hearing Orson Scott Card is the author's mentor, I gave it a shot. I had a blast reading this book! The author really spins the tale well and I love the cities she creates, especially Doff. The story had twists and turns that felt original and unlike other fantasy books. It's a young adult book, so the reading was quick and easy. A lot of complex relationships between Fox and almost everyone he encounters, which felt very real and lifelike. I already ...more
James
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From page one of this wonderful novel I was hooked. Ms. Bellamy captured my imagination with, what I can only describe as, her innate magic of words. Just like her main protagonist, K.B. herself must also be wind-kissed, but with the gift of storytelling. As a longtime fan of epic fantasy, I found the world building to be some of, if not the best I've ever read. As with any truly great story I felt that I was there, living in Thicca Valley. I could almost smell and taste the descriptions as I ...more
Emily
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swept Away

Windswept completely swept me away and quickly. Within the first few chapters I was already feeling connected to the characters and places. I laughed, I cried, I almost threw my book across the room (which would have been bad since I read it on my kindle). The book took turns I didn’t expect, which was a true pleasure. Fantasy can be so predictable even in so called “twists.” Which is why not being able to predict the twists and turns made this book was so refreshing. The world
David Solove
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful novel. An engaging story in a fully realized world with well-rounded, likeable characters. Beautifully written and an absolute delight to read.
Gordon Tait
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Read

Loved this book from start to finish. The novel wraps you up in the characters and they take you along for the ride. You won’t be disappointed.
Pudgy
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 5-stars
Found the next books cover on reddit. Gave this a shot and read it in 2 sittings. The writing was captivating. Can't wait for the next one.
Jacob Crane
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very real people interact with an engaging world. A lot of precious moments that I will hold very near and dear to my heart for a very long time.
Joan
Delightful read! You know that feeling when you can't wait to open your Kindle and read on.... Well, I had this with this book.
Yes, there are some flaws in it- there's a leetle bit too much waffle that could have been cut out and some scenes do little other than pad out the story, but this was just rollicking good fun to read. I loved Fox and the Shaven and all the characters. I liked the world building and the way it all just fell into place.

An author to follow.
Diana
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book. I had to keep forcing myself to put the book down so I could sleep and eat.
David Drew
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It started off a bit slow and it felt fairly trope-y. But by the end I was more than ready to jump into the second book. Only 3 weeks to go!

An excellent debut novel!
Kaitlin Phillips
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A truly unique fantasy story with endearing characters. The story moves quickly and I wasn’t quite ready for it to be over - can’t wait for the next in the series!
Nicole Friend
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful tale

A well-thought out, unique and imaginative world with multi-faceted characters that feel “real” through there interactions and relationships. Beautifully written, just like Fox's maps, you can visualize the villages, scenery and adventures. I am eager to immediately begin the next one!
Excelrn
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tale!

Vivid world building, likable characters that show growth as the story goes, resolution of a story arc while leaving a trail for future tales...I really enjoyed reading this first installment of the Mapweaver Chronicles. The book could have benefitted from another editing/ proofing pass, as there were the rare spots of words missing or grammar issues, but nothing that interferes with the story. Recommend for young adult and up. I'll be reading book 2 right away.
Alex Roma
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This definitely reads like a first book in a series, so it's a little slower paced than you might think of in terms of fantasy novels, but it makes up for it with beloved characters and a world that you can't help but want to play in. And there are plenty of adventures to be had: from a group of traveling, magical performers called the Shavid, a mischievous pirate god, and the chilling Beneath. It's a great debut with hopefully more adventures to come soon.
Barbara
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I'm extra picky about novels. I tend to dislike most modern works. This one grabbed me and didn't let go until the end of Inkspice, the next in the series.

I want more.

The characters are believable, the story moves well, and I've been swept into the world Bellamy has created.
Reg
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I would love this book but here I am excited to read the next of the series.
It's a slow read but not dragging.
It's the kind of book that takes time because of how details of the lifestyle and culture in the world it's set in is delicately built and told. I really have not read a book like this that puts into enough detail of the people's culture from their work, to their community interaction, to their tradition, to their trade with others, and much much more and it does not bore
C.D. Tavenor
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've seen "Windswept" pop up in a variety of places over the past few months, whether on Reddit or Twitter. When I picked up Kindle Unlimited, I decided to give it a chance. And I made the right choice.

Windswept is not a perfect novel, nor is it a novel that I would list as one of the all time greats. But from the moment I started reading it, I continuously turned back to the story on my phone (my e-book reader of choice), whether on the bus, in bed, or even in the shower.

Chris Kirkby
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s an interesting story and world to be found in these pages as fox fights to grow up in a harsh, unforgiving and magical world. I found myself so much more interested in the two main characters though and their constant separation made it hard not to skip ahead.. and I failed.. Sometimes skipping whole flash backs just to get back to the action. Honestly, I may skim the sequels just for their relationship, but I think fans of a slower building fantasy will enjoy the whole adventure ...more

• Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • The First Stop (A Thousand Li #2)
  • Shadowborn's Terror (The Magician's Brother, #4)
  • The Magician's Brother (The Magician's Brother, #1)
  • The Sorcerer's Loss (The Magician's Brother, #2)
  • Archon's Hope (The Magician's Brother, #3)
  • A Dragon from the Desert (The Dragonbond Saga #1)
  • Street Cultivation
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • The First Step (A Thousand Li, #1)
  • The Choice of Magic (Art of the Adept, #1)
  • Shade's First Rule (Divine Apostasy, #1)
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • Heart's Darkness (The Magician's Brother, #5)
  • The Dragon Marked Chronicles: The Dragon Sage
Kaitlin Bellamy has always been a storyteller. She grew up in Greensboro, North Carolina, where she discovered a passion for the stage, and spent her youth performing in a church community theatre ensemble. From there, she moved to Buena Vista, Virginia, to study Shakespeare and Musical Theatre at Southern Virginia University. Through a series of lifechanging events, Kaitlin then found herself in ...more

The Mapweaver Chronicles (3 books)
  • Inkspice (The Mapweaver Chronicles #2)
  • Wayfinder (The Mapweaver Chronicles, #3)