Start by marking “McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)” as Want to Read:
McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)

McNally's Dilemma

(Archy McNally #8)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  1,090 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
After finding husband number two in a precarious position with an attractive young lady, Melva Williams pulls the trigger --- and readily admits to the crime passionnel. To shield her gorgeous daughter from the press and paparazzi, she turns to her longtime friend Archy McNally.

Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered, Archy stands to lose more than his patient fiancee by playi
Published July 1st 2000 by Berkley (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about McNally's Dilemma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McNally's Dilemma

Michael
So So McNally story
It was only by reading the fine print that I learned that this novel was Not by Lawrence Sanders. For me Archy McNally will always remain the creation of Mr. Sanders, but I wanted to read another story about one of my favorite characters. The attempt by Vincent Lardo gave an interesting slant to McNally, but his style of writing wasn't the same as Mr. Sanders. For the first time, it was clear how the story would evolve, and that's another indication that Lawrence Sanders did
Barbara Nutting
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
An oldie but goodie series. I started with Archy in 1993 and read all the ones written by Lawrence Sanders. After his death Vincent Lardo has continued in the same vein - mocking Palm Beach with humor and disrespect. The book is filled with cliches and adages which give it a quaint feeling. Of course I guessed the plot right away (remember Lana Turner) but it was a fun read and I’ll continue with this new author. He even mentioned that Mar-a-Lago had been purchased by a New York realtor, little ...more
Jackie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun read, but different than the first seven
Joy
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
After the death of Lawrence Sanders, Vincent Lardo was picked to continue the Archy McNally series, starting with MCNALLY'S DILEMMA. Archy's long-time friend called Archy to ask for his help, because she has killed her rotter of a husband. Lardo's narratives are a little more racy, but still enjoyable to read. I thought I knew by Chapter 3 what had happened, but I didn't expect the late plot twists. I will continue reading the series.
Mark Birchall
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this addition to the series. Not sure this was Mr lardo's first foray but it was a good effort. I found the plot a tad more convoluted than previous books but I will continue this series to its finale as they are highly entertaining.
Kenneth Nolen
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of the best Archie discrete investigations but is still worth reading. Plot or should l say plots were somewhat convoluted with an ending that seemed somewhat forced. Still enjoyable and I will continue reading the series. Love all of the characters but they do seem to be aging or maybe I am the one aging and want my hero’s to remain the same.
Bruce Thomas
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bigamist tries to rip off a family friend and Archy hired to catch extortionist, but the two cases intersect and Archy's new girlfriend isn't telling the truth. I've enjoyed the Archy McNally series with its light-hearted protagonist with an ability to wiggle into solving the mysteries of Palm Beach society.
Jason
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gotta love a good Archy diversion. The last of Mr. Sanders but I'm hopeful that the new writer keeps it going. Nothing fancy in this one, just fun and that is what I wanted. Still would like to see a TV movie of it sometime…
Maynard
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mystery
"McNally's Dilemma" is among the best novels I have read. It's characters are well-drawn, believable and yet complex. The book is a page turner and difficult to put down.
John
Apr 03, 2016 added it
Dana
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archy McNally's official case is to discover who is blackmailing Mr. Fairhurst about the story of his ancestor. Apparently his grandfather escaped the Titanic in drag but the family claimed he had died. What ends up being the main case is the death of Geoff Williams. His wife(Melva) has admitted to the murder. Her husband brought home his girlfriend and did the 'dirty' right in front of her causing her to kill him.

Melva asked Archy to care for her daughter(Veronica) amid the press and paparazzi.
John Grazide
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say when I started this one, knowing it wasn't Sanders, I was a little hesitant. The first few chapters were very noticeable. The "voices" are completely different. And some of the Archy-ism's seemed a little strained. When I found out about Archy's sister and family (if it was mentioned in earlier books I missed it) I was ready to give up. But then the story started to drive things. And although I was almost certain who the culprit was, the events that led up to the culmination were v ...more
Chris
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Archie comes to the aid of a friend who appears to have shot her husband in a jealous rage while he simultaneously investigates a case of blackmail for one of his father's wealthy clients. The more he learns about both crimes, he comes to the realization that they are somehow connected. I love Archie. Archie is his own person which makes him a very cool character, even though, at 37, he still lives with his folks.
Pam
Sep 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
McNally's Dilemma by Lawrence Sanders & Vincent Lardo
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 1999, 275 pgs
TIME/PLACE: 1990's (?), Palm Beach, FL
CHARACTERS: Archy McNally/investigator for father's discreet Palm Beach law office
COMMENTS: Always enjoy this series, a modern-day PG Wodehouse type. Archy is hired to shield the daughter of a friend who has just killed her husband when caught being unfaithful.
A Michael
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Mr. Lardo took the names and location from the Archy McNally series, changed every character, removed the panache that Lawrence Sanders infused in each of the original seven novels, and folded this disappointing result into a poorly written murderer mystery novel. I can only hope Lardo's subsequent efforts on the Archy McNally series are better than this first effort.
Stephen
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lardo did a fantastic job with Dilemma. He gave, avery much needed third dimension to Archy. Dilemma is the kind of book you want to go home too. As predictable as it was, the climaxes were nevertheless powerful. Perhaps if Jeff Wolinsky Jr. character could have been developed a little more.
Great job. I am sure Lawrence would be happy.
Paula Ratcliffe
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
This book had everything action, adventure, mystery, whodunit's, we follow the main character Archy McNally as he investigates both blackmail from a portrait of a great grandfather who was with the Titanic when it sunk. And a wealthy murder. As with any great mystery the ending was a complete twist and I loved it.
Ed
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
#8 in the Archy McNally series. #1 by author Lardo after seven series entries by series creator Lawrence Sanders.

Archy McNally series - Melva Williams shoots her philandering husband and asks Archy to shelter her lovely daughter Veronica. Archy investigates, involving the cast of Palm Beach characters created by Lawrence Sanders.
Lawrence Sanders's beloved sleuth Archy McNally returns in a novel by Vincent LardoArchy McNally investigates a murderous crime of passion on the tennis court that is much more than it seemsThe Palm Beach tennis season starts off with a bang when a pro is shot by his wife after she catches him with another woman
Kay
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: detective
I had not read a McNally story in a while - entertaining. Did not realize that even though the book says Lawrence Sanders is the author that it really another author, or a joint effort. It was still a good fast read to enjoy.
Susana
Feb 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Terrible book! It was torture to read. It was like watching a bad episode of CSI:Miami and I don't like this tv series to begin with. There are much better crime drama books out there. Do not waste your money on this.
Lorma
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
McNally books are good, quick reads that are enjoyable at the time but not very memorable.
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
First started to notice change in author's style. The co author did not get mentioned on cover @ first???
Joe O'Connor
Sep 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Archy McNally and family; Archy is assigned two cases, a woman who murders her husband and a man being sued about how his grandfather got off the Titanic.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 09, 2012 added it
Shelves: mom-s
so-so
Teresa Jones
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
mcnally again works in a most interesting Florida mileau
Sandy
Sep 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Quick read, always entertaining.
Bruce Humbert
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I give it four stars because I loved the series - it was one of my truly guilty pleasures - but the loss of Mr. Sanders makes this not up to standard as an individual book...
Renee Lipson
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book before, but only remembered a little bit. McNally books are good, quick reads that I always enjoy.
I enjoyed it 1 4 Jan 25, 2009 07:03PM
  • McNally's Gamble (Archy McNally, #7)

Archy McNally (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • McNally's Secret (Archy McNally, #1)
  • McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)
  • McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)
  • McNally's Caper (Archy McNally, #4)
  • McNally's Trial (Archy McNally, #5)
  • McNally's Puzzle (Archy McNally, #6)
  • McNally's Gamble (Archy McNally, #7)
  • McNally's Folly (Archy McNally, #9)
  • McNally's Chance (Archy McNally, #10)
  • McNally's Alibi (Archy McNally, #11)