Start by marking “The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians

The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians

Every day after school Melvin goes to the library. Everything has its place in the library and Melvin likes it that way. And his favorite people—Marge, Betty, and Leola—are always in their place, behind the reference desk. When a subject interests Melvin, his librarian friends help him find lots and lots of books on the subject. When he collects creepy bugs in a jar, they ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Peachtree Publishing Company (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians, please sign up.
Lisa I thought this book was great. I am a children's librarian and the librarians in the book did a lot of what I do. It reflected how special the job of…moreI thought this book was great. I am a children's librarian and the librarians in the book did a lot of what I do. It reflected how special the job of being a librarian really is. (less)

Manybooks
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: children who like light and humorous stories about librarians and libraries
Carla Morris' The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians is sweet, humorous (and sometimes bordering on the downright silly), albeit also rather and frustratingly and majorly predictable. The author does paint an engaging and fun portrait of a curious boy who loves books and who practically lives at his local public library, as well as the librarians of said library, who not only continuously inspire and re-inspire Melvin's curiosity, but also help the boy with research, help him rehearse for a play, ...more
Kathryn
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. (I wasn't really a fan of the illustration style, although they were well-done and apt.) Wonderful story about the power of friendship (especially from adult mentors) the joys that result in a quest for knowledge, and the wonders that can be found in the library!
Marni
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, picture-book
How can you go wrong when the second page goes like this?

"He wanted to know a little...no...alot about everything. He was curious. And the library is a wonderful place to be if a person is curious.

"Everything had its place in the library and Melvin liked it that way. His favorite books were always in their places, lined up on the shelves like soldiers. And his favorite people were always in their places, behind the reference desk."

Is that not a description of heaven? I got happy all over reading
Donalyn
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I thought the "librarians are amazing" message was a bit blatant, we seem to need the reminder these days. I was raised by librarians myself!
brea
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
oh my gosh! all the feels y'all

That was so fantastic -- it seriously gave me chills.

I freaking love my job!
Jamie
I am a sucker for any books about libraries, so this one gets a solid star just for that reason. The story is cute and shows the power of librarians to assist and inform, and the art is interesting, but maybe a bit too caricature-based for something that is representing real people in a real setting?
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've seen this in the children's room of the library for months, if not years (time moves differently in a library). I finally decided to read it today, while I was sitting at the desk in the empty children's section..

I've got chills. I may have sniffled. I almost cried! This book, this simple, short, little picture book gave me all the feels. I was this kid. I was raised by librarians. They helped me when I was confused in school. They helped me when I couldn't find just the right book to read.
Michael Fitzgerald
Sep 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
A whole book full of stereotypes and pigeonholes. A silly fantasyland that is so saccharine it hurts.

There is a little cottage industry based on writing children's books with pandering librarian-appeal and selling them to librarians. How I wish it would stop.

Hated the illustrations. Hated them!

And where were this kid's parents, anyway? Just absolutely never mentioned. More of the nonsense that family is of no value and the state (village) will raise your child.
Crystal Marcos
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
My little one really liked this book and so did I. It is a bit lengthy for younger children but she could relate having spent time at the library. It is a heart-warming story about a little boy who grows up getting to know his librarians through spending many days after school at the library. Though the story is somewhat predictable it is still a treat to watch all the characters grow older together. I liked how interested the librarians were in him and vice versa. The illustrations were very ex ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Lisa
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!! I read it before signing it to my niece and putting it in the box going to Joplin for Christmas. Oh my, it really is a lovely story, but particularly for this librarian and daughter of a librarian. Nice that my niece will get a little idea what her grandfather did for a living.
Nicole Cornelius
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My Aunt wrote this book!!! Way to go Aunt Carla!!
Erika Bowen
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Book Summary in your own words
Every day Melvin visits the Public Library after school. Melvin loves how everything has its place. His favorite people are the librarians behind the reference desk—Marge, Betty, and Leola. When something catches his attention, he gets help from his friends to find the information. As the years pass, Melvin gets older but still visits the library for everything. One day he leaves for college to learn new things and read new books. Will he return to his friends? O
Gabby Mondelli
During my first few weeks of school, because I am a reading teacher, all of my read-alouds are about book and library appreciation. One of my favorite new additions is “The Boy Who Was Raised By Librarians.” This heartwarming story is great for lovers of libraries and the smell of a well-loved book.

Everyday after school, Melvin goes to his local library. The women who work there help him with homework, schoolwork, various questions, and projects. He loves the library, and the for that, the libr
Nancy Kotkin
While I deeply appreciate any children's book that praises books, reading, libraries, and/or librarians, this one is a bit over the top. Melvin seems to excel at everything and, with the tireless help of three reference librarians, he wins every contest he enters. I also wonder why a child is interacting with the reference librarians. Where is the children's librarian? And since the three librarians never help any other patrons, it feels like they dispense favoritism to Melvin over everyone else ...more
Dolly
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I just love stories about libraries and this was such a sweet story. I love the different ways that the librarians could help the young boy learn and satisfy his curiosity. And I certainly loved the ending. The illustrations remind me strongly of C.F. Payne's style and complemented the story nicely, if a bit abstractly. I liked to see how the librarians aged throughout the book, still as happy and helpful as ever. We really enjoyed reading this story together.

This story was selected as one of t
Linda Lipko
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Melvin's second home is the Livingston Library! He is embraced by three fun-loving, intelligent and spunky librarians who help him with research projects, guide him, welcome him and encourage his love of knowledge.

Illustrated by Brad Sneed, the images are crisp, clear with lovely facial images.

If you, like me, were raised by a librarian, or a series of librarians, you will appreciate this lovely book.

Personally, Miss Alice Blake, former Bangor, PA librarian is one of the people who had a profoun
Jackie
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The illustrations and conversations are so heart-warming and touching. Melvin loved the library so much, he felt like he lived there...all facts, figures and information were at his fingertips, and he grew to love the three librarians, Leeola, Betty, and Marge, who all looked forward to his visit every day after school. Throughout his school years, up until he left for college, the library was his special place. He missed it terribly when he was away, as the librarians missed ...more
Mom (Tash)
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is another great picture book! Your children will love it, and you will too! I KNOW you all take your children to the library, (you are such great parents) and this is yet another book to reinforce what a wonderful place that is, and what endearing people librarians can be. Definately a "Storytime With Grandma Tash Gold Star Winner"!!
(In case you may be wondering if I promote every children's book about libraries, not true...do not check out "The Library Dragon". It is a total disappointmen
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
First of all, the title is misleading. I had anticipated a story about a boy actually living in the library and being raised by librarians and was disappointed by the first line in the book. The boy is actually a bookworm who spends all his time in the library and forms a family-like bond with the three librarians at his local library.

Second of all, despite my disappointment, the story was actually pretty good and inspiring. The illustrations are incredible and could stand alone as a wordless b
Diane
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Aww, what a sweet children's book! It's about a boy named Melvin who spends a lot of time in his public library and the friendship he develops with the librarians. The story is written by a children's librarian, and it does a good job of highlighting all the different services that libraries offer today. I would recommend the book to any parents who want to get their children excited about the library.
Rachel Coleman
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians" is about a little boy who loves learning and reading so much. One day he went to the library after school everyday and basically was raised by the librarians. The librarians were always loving and excited and encouraging to him.
I love this book, because it can make children excited about the library and make them want to read. I would have this book in my classroom, and I think it would be a great book to read to your children.
Colleen Vincent
Melvin is a curious boy who loves the library, and as the author, Carla Morris, observes, "the library is a wonderful place to be if a person is curious." The librarians and Melvin share a loving relationship as they provide a welcoming, nurturing, learning environment for Melvin at the library, inspiring him and helping him learn about the world around him.
April Thompson
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story portrays my love for books and libraries. My mom worked at the local library when I was eight, and I remember loving everything about it day after day. The feeling hasn't worn off and I hope to one day retire and work at a library!
Paula
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book, great for elementary level. The story of a young boy who loved the library. He didn't really live there but spent much of his time there. The librarians knew him and helped him with questions from grade school until he graduated from college. Very good.
Meghan
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: librarians, 1st graders, teachers
I teared up by the end of this sweet picture book. It is such a touching story about a boy who loves and uses the library throughout his life. The illustrations are vibrant and fun. Really, this is the story every children's librarian wants to turn into reality...
Kari
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Probably more of a 4, but what the hell 5 stars. Had tears streaming down my face at the end. "That's how librarian's are. They just can't help it." Love it.

Thanks to Liz for recommending.
Relyn
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at Barnes
This is a sweet, sweet book that will completely appeal to adults. I find that the students enjoy it, too.
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love this little picture book! I use it for field trip groups sometimes.
Veronica
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful children's book's story arc hit pretty close to home for me. I recommend it to any librarian or library lover!!
  • The Library Dragon
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • That Book Woman
  • Library Lil
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • The Library