Start by marking “Wake of the Perdido Star” as Want to Read:
Wake of the Perdido Star

Wake of the Perdido Star

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  194 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
An Academy Award-winning actor and a leading underwater archeologist have teamed up to create a rousing saga of shipwrecks, pirates and the sea. This novel chronicles the fate of a young man forced by tragedy to join the crew of the Perdido Star in 1805. A fascinating read.--Clive Clusser.
Published September 1st 2000 by Signet (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wake of the Perdido Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake of the Perdido Star

Steven
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very exciting account of Black Jack O'Reilly and his adventures on the high seas during the early 1800's.
Bertrand
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Gene Hackman quitte le monde du cinéma et s'essaye ici au roman d'aventure. Pourquoi pas? Sauf qu'à la lecture de ce roman, au demeurant fort sympathique, on a l'impression de retrouver les grosses ficelles d'Hollywood derrière cette intrigue mêlant vengeance et piraterie plombée malheureusement par une résolution beaucoup trop simpliste des conflits. Alors, est-ce que Gene Hackman a écrit son roman en pensant à une éventuelle adaptation cinématographique de son histoire? Car à n'en pas douter, ...more
karen S. Roberts
Great read

Nice book with an engaging story line. Sadly, it was over before I was ready for it to end! Bummer!
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because I’d seen it mentioned as a “swashbuckling sea adventure” with plenty of action and piracy.
However, reading it, I was reminded that when I was a kid I went through a big phase of reading lots of historical nautical books, both fiction and non-fiction. (There were lots of sailors and sea voyages in my family history, which is where the interest stemmed from… check out THIS BOOK, it features my distant relative getting cannibalized…) So, although I don’t know HOW to sa
Rachel Headley
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Actually good. I wasn't too sure. Picked up the book from the for sale shelf at the library, and it didn't look like it had been read very much. I think Gene Hackman is a pretty clever fellow, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I thought it was very interesting.

Some slow parts (the underwater recovery details I found a bit boring), but overall a great story with good visuals. Likeable characters, although I was glad the weakling father didn't stick around in the story too long. One really interes
Christian D.  Orr
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow, Gene Hackman can really write as well as act! He should try his hand at writing screenplays--including perhaps an filmic adaptation of this very novel!

An entertaining and rousing maritime action-adventure novel and revenge tale set in first decade of 19th-century America. It follows the adventures and trials of one Jack O'Reilly, an American of an Irish father and a Cuban mother, who makes the transition from dutiful (if somewhat pugilistic) teenage son, to tragic grief-stricken (and venge
Megan
Jun 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
Wake of the Perdido Star is designed to be a fast-paced adventure story. Unfortunately, however, much of the plot developments appear to exist solely for the purpose of allowing action elements such as fights or shipwrecks to be included in the story, giving it a contrived feel. In addition, the authors, both diving enthusiasts, go overboard [pun intended] with details of historical techniques for diving, arranging the plot to allow for the incorporation of these descriptions. The book features ...more
KatieSuzanne
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone gave this to me when I told them I love books that take place on tall-ships. I was hesitant because it was written by Lex Luther. Maybe it was because I wasn’t expecting much from it, but I really loved it. I was shocked. I’ve heard that some people don’t like all the stereotype pirating, ship, etc., stuff that is in here, but I thought it was fun. It was just one thing after another and never stopped, it was exciting. Treasure Island has all that stuff in it but people love it, so why n ...more
Andrea Bernardo
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved Wake of the Perdido Star! It was so exciting and adventurous and the characters so lovable, and I so enjoyed the humor! I'm hoping for a sequel! I commented so on a website and they mistakenly put my comment under Justice for None, which I just started reading, and so far, I don't think my comments for Wake of the Perdido Star fit Justice for None. But I can't wait to see how this one turns out!
Robert
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People that like high sea adventures
I loved the adventure of this story. It must have played to my inner child. I was a fan of Moby Dick and Treasure Island when I was growing up. This story has elements of both. At times the book can be a little formulaic, but still a fun read. Maybe it was my love of pirate movies when I was a kid. Alas, 13 years later, I guess there will not be a sequel.
C-shaw
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Vernon and I are reading this on the Kindle - rather, I'm reading it to him - while we travel back and forth to Chattanooga. It is very fast-paced and exciting, a great adventure story. Should be made into a movie! Gene Hackman is a very good writer.

Later - We finished the book and loved it. Gread adventure.
Ed
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Adventure novel - 17-year-old Jack O'Reilly moves with his parents to Cuba; when they are murdered shortly after arrival, he ships out on a 3 year voyage of shipwrecks, pirates and maturation before returning to confront his parents killer.
Keith Bell
Decided to re-read this after seeing the Tall Ships in Bay City. Gene Hackman (and Daniel Lenihan) turn out to be pretty good writers. If you like Patrick O'Brian or Louis L'amour you will love this swashbuckling tale of revenge.
Andrew Connan
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun read that's well researched but a bit formulaic. Still, if you're facing a long flight and want to escape from being packed into an aluminum can to a swash buckling world of wind powered ships this might be just the book for you.
Susan
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, THE Gene Hackman...
This is an awesome story for anyone who loves the sea, pirates, history, and adventure!
Alixis Lupien
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. This is definitely in my top 10 and would recommend it to anyone!
Tracy Bavasi
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read. Surprised by the author-Gene Hackman
Maggie Shanley
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Story of Jack O'Reilly a young Irish-Cuban American who faces bullies and grasping aristocrats to come full-circle on a ship named STAR.
Ted
Aug 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't buy this book because it was written by an actor -- would have missed a great read!
Frank Wilem
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it a lot. Well worth reading if you are a lover of the sea.
Nick Turlo
Dec 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a pirate book
Shelves: tops

Alright read, just a fun little story.
Amber
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was more of a fun read. It was slow in the beginning and very predictable, but once the plot picked up I found it very entertaining and even educational. Definitely a good summer read.
Adam Walsh
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed. Have fast paced read. Highly recommend.
Betty
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I listened to tis book as an audiobook and I really enjoyed this version of the legend of the pirate Black Jack. Well worth the listen, good characters and plot.
Chuck
May 26, 2010 rated it liked it
A swashbuckling yarn about a young man's apprenticeship on a 1805
sailing ship. An obvious first novel but fun.
Lorena Drapeau
pretty simplistic but quick and engaging. not bad considering these two guys never wrote a book before.
Kathy
Feb 24, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Back to the Moon
  • Looking for a Ship
  • China Sea (Dan Lenson, #6)
  • Demon of the Waters: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Whaleship Globe
  • Seized: A Sea Captain's Adventures Battling Scoundrels and Pirates While Recovering Stolen Ships in the World's Most Troubled Waters
  • Simplexity: Why Simple Things Become Complex (and How Complex Things Can Be Made Simple)
  • Highways to a War
  • All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales from the Dry Dock Bar
  • Airborne: A Sentimental Journey
  • The White House Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #4)
  • Big Red: Three Months on Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine
  • Savage Wilderness
  • Zorba the Hutt's Revenge (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #3)
  • How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (The Christmas Chronicles #2)
  • Deep Sound Channel (Jeffrey Fuller, #1)
  • Murder on the Marmora (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #5)
  • Dangerous Beauty - Life and Death in Africa: Life and Death In Africa: True Stories From a Safari Guide
  • Victory
Two time Academy Award winning actor. Over the forty odd years that he worked as an actor Gene Hackman starred (or co-starred) in such classics as The French Connection, The Conversation , Unforgiven , Superman , and Young Frankenstein as well as smaller, but beloved films such as Hoosiers and Bite The Bullet .

In 2004 Gene Hackman retired from acting and began a second career as a novelist
More about Gene Hackman